Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

March 6, 2016

'Signal' Kim Hye Soo finds out about walkie-talkie

Source: TV Report via Hancinema.net

photo698311.jpg

On the 14th episode of tvN's Friday & Saturday drama, "Signal", Cha Soo-hyeon (Kim Hye-soo) was shocked when she saw Park Hae-yeong (Lee Je-hoon) and Lee Jae-han (Jo Jin-woong) communicating with each other through the old walkie-talkie.

Soo-hyeon was shocked when she heard Lee Jae-han's voice from the walkie-talkie as it was turned on all of sudden.

Hae-yeong revealed to Soo-hyeon that the one who had informed him about the corpse under the manhole of the mental hospital was detective Lee Jae-han.

Now that Soo-hyeon figured out everything that had been going on, whether or not she would be able to save Lee Jae-han as well Park Hae-yeong's older brother is drawing attention.

March 7, 2016

‘Signal’ hits new ratings high

TvN drama series “Signal” received its highest viewership rating on its 11th episode Saturday.

According to ratings research company TNS Media Korea (TNMS), it took 10.6 percent of the viewership, the first time it surpassed 10 percent since its release on Jan. 22.

From left: Lee Je-hoon, Kim Hye-soo and Cho Jin-woong (tvN)

The episode portrayed a sexual abuse case and two detectives named Lee Jae-han (Cho Jin-woong) and Park Hae-young (Lee Je-hoon) struggling to find investigate the case.

The 16-episode TV drama has increased its viewership, starting with 5.4 percent and 6.4 percent, as determined by ABG Nielson and TNMS, respectively.

It has been well received by viewers for its famous cast members, such as actress Kim Hye-soo and actors Cho Jin-woong and Lee Je-hoon.

By Kim Soo-hyang (shkim@heraldcorp.com)

March 8, 2016

Why Kim Hye Soo Keeps Her Heels on Even at Home

Source: Soompi by ehk38 

Why Kim Hye Soo Keeps Her Heels on Even at Home

Actress Kim Hye Soo has been revealed to take her self-maintenance very seriously.

On the March 7 episode of Channel A‘s reporter talk show “Heard It Through the Grapevine,” guest reporters gave Kim Hye Soo high ratings on her commitment to staying in shape.

One reporter says, “I heard about how Kim Hye Soo stays fit, and one habit she formed in her twenties is to flex her lower abs whenever she can, so her posture stayed in check automatically.”

“According to Kim Hye Soo’s younger sibling, Kim Hye Soo even wears killer heels at home in order to maintain her dignified posture,” a reporter adds.

Source (1)

March 15, 2016

‘Signal’ stars maintaining the momentum

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

14214541.jpg

The megahit tvN drama “Signal” wrapped up Saturday with high marks from fans.

Not only the plot of the drama, but also stellar performances by the three stars was given credit for the drama’s popularity. 

The trio of stars - Kim Hye-soo, Cho Jin-woong and Lee Je-hoon - are all looking to carry on their momentum, this time on a different stage: the big screen.

Speaking to his popularity, Cho will be everywhere. The actor is set to appear in three movies, including “The Handmaiden” and “Blue Beard” (working title).

Veteran actress Kim Hye-soo is busy filming “Precious Woman” (working title). Playing the lead role, Na Hyun-jeong, the leader of a criminal organization, Kim will showcase her charisma that was apparent in “Signal.”

Making his comeback to the big screen after three years, Lee Je-hoon will play detective Hong Gil-dong, a fictional character in a Korean novel written during the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910). The film, “Phantom Detective,” features the immaculate detective searching for a man he had failed to find.

By Jeong Byung-ki

March 14, 2016

Kim Hye Soo Revealed to Be Able to Speak Five Languages

Source: Soompi by kminjungee

Kim Hye Soo Revealed to Be Able to Speak Five Languages

On March 14, tvN‘s “The List 2016″ revealed the top celebrity “brains” who can speak at least three languages.

Kim Hye Soo takes the number one spot, with her ability to speak five languages. She is able to speak rather fluent English, and can easily answer in foreign interviews. Her fluency allowed her to deliver her lines in the movie, “The Thieves,” with ease.

The reason Kim Hye Soo learned English was to perform her role in the movie “Too Tired to Die,” starring Kaneshiro Takeshi, at a higher level. She studied night and day in order to be able to understand and portray her lines, which were all in English.

She can also speak Spanish, Japanese, and Chinese. Back in 2007, at the Hong Kong International Film Festival, she was seen having smooth conversations with Michelle Yeoh, and Andy Lau.

Meanwhile, Kim Hye Soo recently starred in the popular tvN drama, “Signal.”

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

March 25, 2016

Who are the 2016 Korean Cinema 'Power Creator'

Source: Naver 1 l Naver 2 

Thanks to PlanetBH0712 for the highlight, EverythingLBH Google-translate

201603251538291456688_20160325153922_01_

Based on Max Movie DB accumulation and expert advice, the Korean movie magazine 'Max Movie' in the latest April issue have selected a list of 30 individuals/organizations as the power creators in the Korean film industry. A list of movie producers, directors, actors, agency CEOs and cinema-related sites have been chosen.

In no particular order (Google-translate)

Kang Woo Suk (Director)
Kim Woo Taek (NEW CEO)
Kim Jee Woon (Director)
Kim Hye Soo (actor)
Na Hong Jin (Director)
Hung (Trinity Entertainment CEO)
Netflix (streaming video services, production investment)
Ryoo Seung Bum (actor)
Ryoo Seung Wan (director)
Park Chan Wook (director, producer)
So Ji Sub (actor, 51K CEO)
Son Ye Jin (actor)
Song Kang Ho (actor)
Sim Jae Myeong (Myung films CEO)
Sang Ho Yeon (director)
idols pan (make Earth representative)
Won Dong Yeon (Realize Pictures CEO)
Yoo Jeong Hoon (Showbox representative)
Yoon Jong Bin (director, producer)
Yoon Je Kyoon (director, producer)
Yun Ha Rim (Tuesday aendam representative)
Lee Byung Hun (actor)
20th century Fox Korea (distribution, production, and investment)
Lee Yoo Jin (home studio representative)
Yi Tae Heon (Opus Pictures CEO)
Implementations (digital studio 2L representative)
Jang Tae Yoo (director) 
Choi Min Sik (actor)
Ha Jung Woo (actor) 
Hwang Jung Min (actor)

77219223.1_99_20160325181204.jpg?type=w5

9 Chungmuro Star Actors ★ Power Creators

Choi Min Sik

Kim Hye Soo

Lee Byung Hun

Ryu Seung Bum

So Ji Sub

Son Ye Jin

Song Kang Ho

Ha Jung Woo

Hwang Jung Min

March 29, 2016

Four uniform-clad Korean actresses

Lee Young-ae (9ers Entertainment, from left), Kim Hye-soo (tvN), Kim Ji-won (KBS 2TV) and Ha Ji-won (MBC)

A number of Korean stars have seen their popularity increase after taking on military and police roles, and The K-pop Herald has identified four actresses who won audiences over in uniform, including the most recent roles of detective Cha Soo-hyun (Kim Hye-soo) in tvN’s “Signal” and 1st Lt. Yoon Myung-joo (Kim Ji-won) in KBS 2TV’s “Descendants of the Sun.”

1. Lee Young-ae (Maj. Sophie E. Jean) at "Joint Security Area" (2000)

Spoiler

(9ers Entertainment)

Actress Lee Young-ae starred in the classic film “Joint Security Area.” Taking the role of Swiss Army Maj. Sophie E. Jean, who carryies out an investigation into a gunfire incident that broke out in the Joint Security Area between North and South Korea, she keps a cool attitude while questioning those allegedly involved in the incident, including South Korean soldier Lee Soo-hyeok (Lee Byung-hun) and North Korean soldier Oh Kyung-pil (Song Kang-ho). The military uniform Maj. Jean wore represents her mental state.

2. Ha Ji-won (Kim Hyang-ah) at "The King: Two Hearts" (2012)

Spoiler

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160329

(MBC)

Acterss Ha Ji-won acted as North Korean military officer Kim Hyang-ah in MBC miniseries “The King: Two Hearts.” She costarred with Lee Seung-gi, who played a South Korean prince who met the North Korean officer in a junior officer competition. Ha and Lee fell in love with each other after the drama. 

3. Kim Hye-soo (Cha Soo-hyun) at "Signal" (2016)

(tVN)

Actress Kim Hye-soo played police officer Cha Soo-hyun in tvN’s crime series “Signal.” Kim acted both the young Cha, a rank-and-file police officer in the 1980s, and an older Cha, who a detective in the present. The junior version of Cha wore a police uniform, while the senior Cha put on a leather. 

4. Kim Ji-won (1st. Lt. Yoon Myung-joo) at "Descendants of the Sun" (2016)

Spoiler

(KBS 2TV)

Actress Kim Ji-won plays 1st Lt. Yoon Myung-joo in the phenomenal drama series “Descendants of the Sun” Not only did her military combat uniform add to her stardom, but having her hair cut short also contributed to her change of image. Her character is so attractive that even Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) compliments her, saying that even women “fetishize uniforms” during an episode. Sgt. Maj. Seo Dae-young (Jin Goo) has a crush on the junior officer. 

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

user posted image Best Actress!

April 5, 2016

Kim Hye Soo Stuns at Chunsa Film Art Awards

bntnews Bae Jung Yun

[bnt photo] Kim Hye Soo Stuns at Chunsa Film Art Awards

On April 5, Chunsa Film Art Awards was held at COEX Auditorium in Gangnam-gu, Seoul.

The 21st Chunsa Film Art Awards is a nonprofit competition award. It takes its name from a pen name of a passionate early Korean actor and filmmaker, Na Woon Gyu, who had a fighting spirit toward his life.

Meanwhile, a total of ten awards is given for Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress and others in Chunsa Film Art Awards. 

Photo credit: bntnews DB/Jo Hee Sun

April 6, 2016

[StarN Focus] Kim Hye Soo attends 'Chunsa Film Art Awards'

Source: STARN News

[StarN Focus] Kim Hye Soo attends 'Chuna Film Art Awards'

On April 5th, '2016 Chunsa Film Art Awards' was held at COEX Auditorium in Samsung-dong, Seoul.

Actress Kim Hye Soo attended the awards in a white dress, and captured people's attention with her beautiful and elegant look.

Meanwhile, 'Chunsa Film Art Awards' is an annual film awards held to commemorate Korean film producer Na Woon Kyu, and awards were distributed under ten different categories.

/Reporting by Kim Dong-Joo en@starnnews.com

Source: Soompi

photo709414.jpg

Check out the full list of winners below!

Best Director: Choi Dong Hoon (“Assassination”)

Best New Director: Hong Seok Jae (“Socialphobia”)

Best Screenplay: “Sado”

Technical Award: “The Tiger”

Best Actor: Yoo Ah In (“Sado”)

Best Actress: Kim Hye Soo (“Coin Locker Girl”)  user posted image

Best Supporting Actor: Jo Jin Woong (“Assassination”)

Best Supporting Actress: Uhm Ji Won (“The Silenced”)

Best New Actor: Kang Ha Neul (“Twenty”)

Best New Actress: Park So Dam (“The Priests”)

Special Popularity Award: Hong Jong Hyun, Ryu Hye Young, Ra Mi Ran

People’s Choice Most Popular Film Award: “Spirits’ Homecoming”

Achievement Award: Im Kwon Taek

Congratulations to all the winners!

April 4, 2016

Chunsa Film Art Awards 2016 nominees list

Source: Movie Naver via Hancinema.net

April 9, 2016

Revolution of Korean TV dramas, as good as popular U.S. dramas

Source: THE DONG-A ILBO

2016030801000568400037171.jpg

A wind of change is blowing into the Korean investigation drama industry. The quality of stories is greatly improving. Cases are not solved by chance like before. How they investigate looks much more realistic and detailed-oriented. This change is all thanks to experts behind the curtain.

I had an interview with Kim Yoon-hee (37) and Lee Jong-hwa (53). Kim, a former profiler, is a assisting writer of cable channel tvN's drama "Signal," and Lee, a professor at Korean National Police University (KNPU), is an adviser for tvN's "The Pied Piper." This reporter asked them how they contributed to the drama production.

"The most common questions that I got from Kim Eun-hee (the main writer of Signal) were 'Do you think this situation could actually happen?' and 'Do you think this is highly probable?'"

Kim spend five years (of his eight year career in the police force) as a profiler at Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. Two years ago, she quit the job, wanting to be an actor and writer. At the same time, the Signal production staff were looking for an expert and that is how they found Kim. She taught the main writer how real profilers collect evidence and take actions.

"Criminals that I observed from profiling lacked sociability and had obsessions and would try to hide these personal characteristics. Based on that, I created the criminal character, Jin-woo (played by Lee Sang-yup), a serial killer in Hongwon-dong who is always organizing the convenience store he works at."

Kim played a significant role in the recreation of the Hongwon-dong case. The scenario is based on a real case the called "the serial murder case in Shinjeong-dong," in which Kim profiled the criminal.

Scenes such as detector Cha Soo-hyun (played by Kim Hye-soo) walking around streets where victims walked in order to track down the killer were not seen in previous Korean investigation dramas. In the drama, Cha was trying to look at the crime scene not from the killer's perspective, but rather from the victims.

What is Kim's idea of investigation dramas? "Many parts in Korean investigation dramas have not made sense in the eyes of real police officers until now. If we make a Korean drama as realistic as American dramas where they use highly advanced and thorough investigation methods, even police officers in Korea would learn from it," Kim said.

"Police should talk softly to anyone whether they are criminals or victims because they are all in crisis. Talking to them with a serious investigative voice will not do."

Unlike past dramas that dealt with violent crimes, The Pied Piper portrays stories of a police crisis negotiation team. In order to add realism to this unfamiliar area, professor Lee was invited to be an advisor. Lee completed a crisis negotiation course at the NYPD and the FBI. "Incidents happen when a person in crisis lets their emotion control their actions," Lee noted. "Only by having conversations with them and addressing their emotional distress will ultimately solve the problem."

Lee advised that Ryu Yong-jae, the writer of The Pied Piper, listen to lectures on negotiation at KNPU. The main character, lieutenant Yeo Myung-ha (played by Cho Yoon-hee), was created with help from Lee's advice. In the drama, she solves problems by carefully listening to the person in crisis and talking softly.

What is Lee's ideal investigation drama? "I saved two individuals in crisis who were about to commit suicide through negotiation this year. When there is not enough communication in the society, we desperately need negotiation. I hope that, through the drama, many people including police can learn how to negotiate in crisis situations," Lee said.

• 3 weeks later...

April 27, 2016

‘Signal’ director’s cut set for July release

(tvN)

The director’s cut of tvN’s crime series “Signal” is expected to be released in July, according to the cable channel.

The footage compilation of producer Kim Won-seok’s drama was recently completed and tvN is reportedly eyeing a DVD release in early July.

The Friday-Saturday series starring actors Lee Je-hoon, Cho Jin-woong and actress Kim Hye-soo ended on March 12. The nationwide viewership of the final episode reached 12.5 percent -- groundbreaking figure for a cable channel -- according to local researcher Nielsen Korea.

Following demands by viewers, tvN confirmed the production of the director’s cut. 

“Signal” is a time-slip-themed movie where a profiler living in current time (Lee Je-hoon) and detective in the 1980s (Cho Jin-woong) collaborate with one another through walkie-talkie to unravel crime cases

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

May 2, 2016

52nd Baeksang Arts Awards Movie Nomination List

Source: Hancinema.net (click here to vote)

The 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards will be held at 8:30 PM on June 3rd at the Kyung Hee Grand Peace Palace in Seoul.

user posted image

BEST FILM

user posted image

"4th Place" by Jeong Ji-woo

"Inside Men" by Woo Min-ho

"DongJu, The Portrait of A Poet" by Lee Joon-ik

"Veteran" by Ryoo Seung-wan

"The Assassination" by Choi Dong-hoon

BEST DIRECTOR

user posted image

"Veteran" - Ryoo Seung-wan

"The Shameless" - Oh Seung-wook

"Inside Men" - Woo Min-ho

"DongJu, The Portrait of A Poet" - Lee Joon-ik

"The Assassination" - Choi Dong-hoon

BEST LEADING ACTOR

user posted image

"Inside Men" - Baek Yoon-sik

"The Throne" - Song Kang-ho

"The Throne" - Yoo Ah-in

"Inside Men" - Lee Byung-hun

"Veteran" - Hwang Jeong-min

BEST LEADING ACTRESS

user posted image

"Coin Locker Girl" - Kim Hye-soo

"Alice In Earnestland" - Lee Jeong-hyeon

The Shameless" - Jeon Do-yeon

"The Assassination" - Jeon Ji-hyeon

"Beauty Inside" - Han Hyo-joo

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

"The Office" - Bae Seong-woo

"Coin Locker Girl" - Eom Tae-goo

"Veteran" - Oh Dal-soo

"Minority Opinion" - Lee Kyeong-yeong

"The Assassination" - Jo Jin-woong

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

"The Himalayas" - Ra Mi-ran

"The Office" - Ryoo Hyeon-kyeong

"The Classified File" - Jang Young-nam

"The Silenced" - Eom Ji-won

"The Throne" - Jeon Hye-jin-II

May 5, 2016

'Precious Woman' starring Kim Hye Soo and Lee Seon Kyun has begun filming

Source: WOWTV via Hancinema.net

photo720968.jpg

The crime action noir, "Precious Woman" (working title), highly anticipated for co-starring Kim Hye-soo and Lee Seon-gyoon, has begun filming on April 28th.

A second-in-command named Na Hyeon-jeong (Kim Hye-soo) puts her life on the line to bring back a gangster organization to life and she chooses an under-boss named Im Sang-hoon (Lee Seon-gyoon) to work for her while investigator Choi (Lee Hee-joon) starts a dangerous game against them. This movie is unlike the usual Korean noire seen so far.

Also, 'Descendants of the Sun' actor Kim Min-seok, who played Private Kim, trusted by Jin Goo in the drama, appears in this movie as Joo-hwan. And a new actress Oh Hanee, whose acting talent has been proved for her recent roles in "The Shameless" and "C'est Si Bon" will play Wei.

The crime action noir, "Precious Woman" starring the powerful array of actors and actresses is slated for the second half of this year.

May 5, 2016

'Signal' actor Lee Je-hoon says, "I forgot all of my lines as soon as I saw Kim Hye-soo's face. My heart was pounding"

Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net

photo720963.jpg

Lee Je-hoon said, "I forgot all of my lines as soon as I saw Kim Hye-soo's face".

Lee Je-hoon appeared on the episode of KBS 2TV's 'Happy Together 3' on May 5th and mentioned about his sunbae actress, Kim Hye-soo, who had co-starred in tvN's hit drama, "Signal".

Lee Je-hoon said, "I've always been thinking Kim Hye-soo is an attractive and charismatic actress since I was little. I became to respect her more while filming "Signal" with her".

He also said, "As soon as I looked at her face, I forgot all of my lines. I was so embarrassed and had to collect my mind to play my part. I was so nervous that my heart was pounding. She was so friendly and made me feel comfortable, asking me 'Darling, why did you forget everything'. When I saw her being considerate and encouraging for the partner actor, I thought this is what makes a difference about an actress who has been being loved for a long time".

May 7, 2016

[Asian Filmist Guest Post List] 5 Korean movies to watch from 2015

Source: AsianFilmist via Hancinema.net

photo720955.jpg

While it is 2016 currently and Korean films are starting to pick up, it's good to look back at last year's films.

For many people, the end of last year was the era of Star Wars, since episode 7 came out. However, while Star Wars was watched by many Koreans here in Seoul, 2015 Korean films held their own. In fact, another movie, the Himalayas, outsold the famed science fiction film on opening week.

Last year had some true gems in Korean cinema worth watching. From action to romance, 2015 was sure to have a film for everyone.

With that being said, here's five movies to watch in 2015 in no particular order.

"Inside Men"

"Gangnam Blues"

"Coin Locker Girl"

The film opens with a mother holding a bloody knife to her daughter's throat, Il-yeong. The viewer immediately wonders "what the hell is going on"?

Going back in time to 1996, a beggar finds a newborn girl in a subway coin locker in Incheon. The beggar names the girl Il-yeong, after the locker number "10" that she was found in.

She lives with the homeless community until she is eight, yet is soon picked up by a corrupt cop named Tak. The cop passes Il-yeong to her adoptive mother, whom everyone calls " mom ".

Her new adoptive mom is not just any mom with a kind heart and room for one more. She's actually a female mob boss. Sensing potential in her new daughter, " mom " teaches the innocent Il-yeong the tools of being a crime lord. She learns how to beg convincingly, loan shark, forging ID cards, and making debtors pay up, which includes murder if need be.

Yet, when Il-yeong meets a son of a debtor, Seok-hyeon, she soon has a change of heart to kill his father to collect his debt.

"Chronicles of Evil"

"The Office"

------

Jason Yu is a media journalist living in Seoul, Korea, covering the K-pop and movies industry. He runs Asian Filmist, a site all about Asian movies. For news and updates on film movies straight from Seoul, also check out their Facebook page.

May 9, 2016

Lee Je-hoon chooses Kim Hye-soo over Suzy

(JTBC)

Actor Lee Je-hoon recently revealed his ideal type of woman on the JTBC gastronomy show “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator,” according to local media outlets.

During the show, the emcees asked Lee to choose who was closer to his ideal type, between Suzy of “Architecture 101” or Kim Hye-soo of “Signal.”

“I’m sorry Suzy. Kim Hye-soo, (is closer)” he said without hesitation, blushing shyly.

“She is beautiful and charismatic, but has a girlish side. I hope she knows how I feel about her,” he explained.

The episode of “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator” featuring Lee Je-hoon will air on Monday at 9:30 p.m.

By Kim Ji-young (christinekim@heraldcorp.com)

May 9, 2016

Lee Je Hoon Chooses Kim Hye Soo as His Ideal Type

Source: BNTNews

jtfq0p6t7fjlg9fajt28h76vwwv8aiek.jpg

[by Woorim Ahn] Actor Lee Je Hoon talked about his ideal type. 

On the upcoming episode of JTBC ‘Please Take Care of My Refrigerator’, Lee Je Hoon got a question ‘Who would you pick as your ideal type – Suzy or Kim Hye Soo?’ from the MCs. 

Then, he answered, “I’m sorry, Suzy. I will choose Kim Hye Soo” without hesitation and made a shy face. He added, “She is beautiful, charismatic and sometimes she has a sense of girl. I want her to know my feelings.”

He also got a question, “Why not Suzy?” and he gave a clear answer to the panels and made them understand him. 

Meanwhile, ‘Please Take Care of My Refrigerator’ with Lee Je Hoon will air on May 9 at 9:30pm KST. (photo by JTBC)

May 9, 2016

Lee Je Hoon Chooses Between Co-Stars Suzy And Kim Hye Soo On “Please Take Care Of My Refrigerator”

Source: Soompi by leonid 

suzy kim hye soo

Actor Lee Je Hoon is given the tough task of choosing between miss A’s Suzy and actress Kim Hye Soo as his ideal type when he appears as a guest on “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator.”

On the May 9 episode of the JTBC show, he is asked if he has an ideal type among his past female co-stars. The actor has previously worked with Suzy in the movie “Architecture 101,” and with Kim Hye Soo in tvN drama “Signal.”

suzy kim hye soo

When asked the difficult question, Lee Je Hoon answers shyly but immediately, “I’m sorry, Suzy. I choose Kim Hye Soo.”

He describes Kim Hye Soo as “beautiful, charismatic, and with a hidden girlishness” and confesses, “I want her to know how I feel.”

In a recent interview, the actor also expresses his great respect for Kim Hye Soo. He explains, “She started young and has a 30-year acting career under her belt. She has been loved by the public all this time and yet she still has an unassuming presence. I can’t help but respect her for that.”

He adds, “I respect how she has so much concern for the world, and takes good care of people around her. I’ve always wanted to work with Kim Hye Soo and Jeon Do Yeon. When I got to work with Kim Hye Soo, I realized she has an even more energetic and charismatic aura than I had imagined.”

On “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator,” the actor is then asked, “What’s wrong with Suzy?” He looks a bit flustered, but then replies coolly, “She has a boyfriend, you know.” He then smiles warmly.

Watch more of Lee Je Hoon in the May 9 episode of “Please Take Care of My Refrigerator,” which airs every Monday at 9:30 p.m. The episode also features Lee Je Hoon’s “Detective Hong Gil Dong” co-star Kim Sung Kyun.

Source (1)

May 10, 2016

Top stars in line for acting awards
In a year of hit dramas and films, the field is stronger than ever

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

09203227.jpg

This year’s 52nd Baeksang Arts Awards has published its list of candidates for the Best Actor and Best Actress Awards. Hosted by JTBC and Ilgan Sports, affiliates of the Korea JoongAng Daily, this event is recognized as one of the most prestigious entertainment awards in Korea along with Blue Dragon Film Awards and the Daejong Film Awards.

Looking at the resumes and achievements over the past year of these 10 actors extraordinaire, it is safe to say that this year’s competition will be neck-and-neck. The winners of each category will be announced on June 3 at Kyung Hee University’s Grand Peace Hall.

Best Actor

Baek Yoon-sik (“Inside Men”)

As actor Lee Byung-hun, who played one of the two protagonists in the thriller flick “Inside Men,” can attest, the heinous yet cunning journalist Lee Kang-hee could be played by no one but Baek Yoon-sik. Showcasing his acting prowess honed during his long acting career, Baek’s dauntingly accurate portrait of a villain earned the well-deserved nomination.

Lee Byung-hun (“Inside Men”)

The actor’s first-ever role that involved using the Jeolla dialect did not seem to impede him from leaving a lasting impact. “Let’s have a drink of Maldives at Mojito,” Lee’s hilarious line in the movie, made the audience crack up. As well as some of his facetious moments, Lee showed off various skills, attesting to his Hollywood experience. 

Song Kang-ho (“The Throne”)

King Yeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) has been played by many good actors over the years, but Song’s portrayal made it more special. Adjusting his voice, expressions and gestures, Song covered 40 years of the king’s life in this historical film, not to mention all the changes within that span. His exquisite portrayal of Yeongjo’s despair over his son, Crown Prince Sado, confined in a wooden chest, mesmerized the viewers. 

Yoo Ah-in (“The Throne”)

A month after starring as the immature and psychopathic heir of a conglomerate in the crime comedy flick “Veteran,” the actor returned to the big screen via “The Throne,” in which he showcased a different sides of himself in the role of Crown Prince Sado. The scene of him brandishing a sword, as if possessed, proved the actor’s ability to be fully immersed and deliver extreme emotions.

Hwang Jung-min (“Veteran”)

Having been in so many successful films, Hwang’s appearance in a movie almost guarantees its triumph. Rough around the edges yet with a superior sense of justice, Hwang’s detective character, Seo Do-chul, delivered unforgettable lines in a funny way during his quest to arrest and convict a criminal millionaire, not to mention all the stunts he pulled off to make this nail-biter even more exciting.

09203235.jpg

Best Actress

Hwang Jung-eum (“She Was Pretty”)

Hwang was an indispensable part of this hit TV drama. Although the drama started off with only modest viewership ratings, it wrapped up with a satisfying 18 percent viewership rating, showing an increase of nearly 13 percent. Playing the lead role of Kim Hye-jin, who was often shabby and unkempt, the actress is acknowledged as being a pivotal figure in the drama’s turnaround toward the end. 

Kim Hyun-joo (“I Have a Lover”)

Kim’s quadruple role should be a closer. Playing two characters who later experienced earth-shaking changes, the role assigned to Kim was pretty close to a quadruple role. Throughout the whole 50-episode run, this jack-of-all-trades pulled it off beautifully. Playing a pivotal figure in the drama, the actress was the anchor of the production and the cast. 

Kim Hye-soo (“Signal”)

As big a star as Kim Hye-soo may very well raise questions for appearing in cable TV dramas. The actress, however, had faith in the story and responded with her stellar acting. Due to the drama’s time-travel aspect, Kim had to play a veteran police officer in one minute and a rookie officer in the next. 

La Mi-ran (“Reply 1988”)

Having earned the nickname Ms. Cheetah to honor her outlandish fashion statements on “Reply 1988,” the actress made the drama even more interesting. Equipped with ad-libs and unmitigated slapstick, La tickled laughs out of fans. However, the jokes weren’t her only ammo. Secretly crying for her son who was to have heart surgery, the actress was also a great messenger of the drama’s theme: family. 

Song Hye-kyo (“Descendants of the Sun”)

What more needs to be said of the actress who was arguably the face of the drama that created an international sensation, “Descendants of the Sun?” Having starred in many romance flicks in her career, the actress again showcased her chemistry with her male counterpart - so much so that their relationship was rumored to be real at one point. 

BY KIM YEON-JI, KIM JIN-SEOK [jung.byungki@joongang.co.kr]