Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

March 24, 2015

[spot] ‘Chinatown’ Kim Hye-soo, “Not all bosses are men”
Posted by: Veronica Choi , Get It K
112.jpg

The production briefing for film ‘Chinatown’ was held at Apgujung CGV theater in Shin-sa dong, Gang-nam gu, Seoul on March 24. The cast Kim Hye-soo, Kim Go-eun, Um Tae-goo, Park Bo-gum, Go Kyung-pyo and director Han Joon-hee attended the event.
‘Chinatown’ is a crime drama that will depict a story of a struggle for existence by a mother and her children she adopted, who all live in Chinatown where only the needed survive.
Kim Hye-soo was cast to play the role of a boss in Chinatown. “She was a shocking, and strong character. I found the role very intriguing and attractive, but I had a lot of hesitation. It took considerable time and courage for me to decide to accept the offer,” said one of the renowned and seasoned actresses in Chungmuro.
“She is a mother, but is not like any other mother we see. She is the ruler of the place called Chinatown; she is a person who is willing to do anything to make money, and shows no emotions even when she is committing a crime. She is possessed with absolute power, and is called by mom by everyone in Chinatown,” she explained about her role.
05_still01-e1427174115393.jpg
Kim Hye-soo showed the public an extreme makeover in a teaser poster of ‘Chinatown’. ‘I really thought a lot about ways of portraying an image of a boss. I did not want to show another typical image of a leader in the film-you know, being all bossy, manly and charismatic. I instead focused on expressing an exhausted woman living a shattered life. I thought, just because I’m playing the boss role that doesn’t mean I have to be so masculine. But I tried not to look to o feminine, either; just tried to stay right in between, and keep balanced,” she showed her passion and responsibility towards her role.

Her partner, actress Kim Go-eun went on. “When I was heard that I would be teaming with Kim Hye-soo, I was so thrilled. When I was doing my previous work, I even mentioned once on a radio program that she is my role model and I want to work with her in the future. It’s like a dream come true; I feel it was like fate,” she said.
There are not many films that feature female actors for all main roles. “That’s true, a female actor is likely to support a male actor regardless of her importance in a plot. That is why I was glad when I received the script. There are a number of movies that are weighted towards male chauvinism. I find this film very positive and I am very looking forward to new images of the female roles,” said Kim Hye-soo. Meanwhile, ‘Chinatown’ will premiere in April.
GET IT K Han Jihee, Photography by Ryuma, English Translation by Veronica Choi

March 26, 2015
'China Town' Kim Hye Soo and Kim Go Eun what a fatal combination
Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net
photo578783.jpg
"China Town" main preview trailer has been released.
Movie "China Town" has released their first main preview trailer featuring the fatal story of the two women, Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I.
Whilst the film industry has revolved around male characters mainly, the film starring two actresses as the leads is drawing much attention.
The released trailer shows Il-yeong (Kim Go-eun-I)'s survival story, who was abandoned in the number ten locker in a subway station right after she was born and then finds a new mom, a boss in China Town and sustains her life with her family members, with whom she has not shared a drop of blood. Il-yeong grows up as the most trusted child in the China Town where only those useful ones survive.
However, Il-yeong gets to experience warmhearted kindness when she meets a debtor's son Seok-hyeon (Park Bo-geom) and becomes aware of the world beyond China Town. And she lies to her mother for the first time in her life. Mother has noticed the subtle changes in Il-yeong and gives her an extremely dangerous task. And the fate of the two is forced to charge into the unexpected direction.
As implied in the caption, "I've decided to survive no matter what", it is drawing attention from moviegoers, raising the level of expectation as to whether or not Il-yeong could dream of a different world.
"China Town" depicts the survival rules by the people who have been living in their own ways in China Town where only those useful ones survive. The movie will be released on April 30th.

April 1, 2015
Kim Hye Soo and Kim Go Eun's battle for sexiness
Source: Newsen via Hancinema.net
photo580650.jpg
The two heroines Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I from the movie "China Town" are out with a different look from the movie.
Kim Hye-soo plays the "Mother" role in "China Town" while Kim Go-eun-I is Il-yeong, an abandoned child in a world where only the useful stay alive.
The First Look pictorial features the two actresses in manish but sexy looks. They had given up being 'women' in the rough cut movie "China Town" but went through a transformation for this pictorial.
photo580648.jpg
Kim Hye-soo has her eyes closed while she is swept up in a mist of white fog and gives of a strong aura of the leader that she is in the movie. In the cut with Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I together, they are posing seductively with their bodies and eyes. They live up to the names 'actresses of Chungmuro' and bring about the image of a "Mother" and Il-yeong who make choices they can never take back in "China Town".
photo580649.jpg
Kim Hye-soo says, "I have been interested in the actress Kim Go-eun-I for a long time. I felt she had much more potential than what we can see and I imagine she will stand out amongst those her age. "China Town" will have a huge influence on her'.
Kim Go-eun-I also said, "I was so happy to hear who I was going to work with. I chose her as the one person that I've always wanted to meet and I knew it was fate. She personally watched me act and even advised me when I needed it".
The two actresses' interview and pictures can be seen in the 87th issue of First Look on April 2nd. Meanwhile, "China Town" is scheduled for release on April 30th.

April 13, 2015
Star actresses top cast credits in upcoming films
By Kwon Ji-youn The Korea Times
The film industry, which is more accustomed to banking on the success of leading men in productions, may see more women at the top of hit films' cast credits this year as seasoned actresses, including Kim Hye-soo and Cannes Award winner Jeon Do-yeon, are set to make big-screen comebacks.
Though the numbers show that eight in nine films that primarily showcase actresses do not make big money, a number of films this year will attempt to turn the tide.
These actresses are not simply appearing as the sweethearts of male heroes. Last year, actress Son Ye-jin took on a challenge in the action flick "The Pirates" in which she appeared as the captain. Actress Shin Eun-kyung put on a one-woman show in "Miss Granny," and veteran actress Kim Soo-mi at one point hit No.2 at the box office with "Granny's Got Talent."
16-03(247).jpg Kim Hye-soo in a scene from "Chinatown" / Courtesy of CGV Arthouse
More such films are coming down the road.
Kim Hye-soo will take on the role of "mother" in the film "Chinatown," set for an April 29 release. "Mother" is the leader or boss of China Town, where only those deemed useful survive. The film tells the story of "mother" and a young girl by the name of Il-young (actress Kim Go-eun), who has become of value to her.
"Mother" rules out sentiment when it comes to money or survival. She's dispassionate, calculating and acts without hesitation _ she has held her throne by keeping by her side only those of use to her.
To portray a convincing and charismatic "mother," Kim, who played up her sex appeal in "Tazza: The High Rollers" and "Thieves," lined her hair with grey strands, drew freckles on her face and added flab to her stomach with prosthetic makeup.
"Mother needed to be someone who didn't need lines to overpower an audience," director Han Jun-hee said at a press event. "Kim was our first and only choice."
Kim said, "The character has put femininity aside. I felt like I was destroying myself while shooting."
Jeon's last cinematic appearance was in 2013 with "Way Back Home." In "The Shameless," she will act the part of a murderer's girlfriend who meets a mysterious man as she gives police the slip. Jeon's character, Hye-kyung, is decadent but simultaneously determined and well-meaning. She falls in love with the strange man who is after her murderer lover.
The small screen will also feature women in the lead role. Lee Young-ae will return as Saimdang (1504-1551), the noted artist, poet and mother of Confucian scholar Yulgok, in the 2015 MBC drama "Saimdang, the Herstory."
Lee will take on the role of both Shin Saimdang and a modern day college lecturer. The plot will shift back and forth between the 16th century and modern day Korea to uncover the mysteries surrounding Shin Saimdang's diary and the painting "Portrait of a Beauty" by Shin Yun-bok (1758-?).
This will mark her first dramatic appearance in 11 years. Her last was in 2004 with MBC's "Daejanggeum," while her last acting gig was with the 2005 film "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance."

April 13, 2015
Kim Hye Soo, “Red carpet dress, someone said me exhibitionist”
Source: Innolife
14030_1.jpg
The actress Kim Hye-Soo mentioned about the episode of cloth that she wore on the red carpet.Kim Hye-Soo appeared as the guest at MBC radio FM4U ‘Two O’clock Park Gyung-Rim’ aired on 13th. 
This day Kim Hye-Soo answered to the question of Park Gyung-Rim. “Do you have any burden about the skimpy dress?” “Long time ago my exposure became big issue, and I heard some extreme words.” She said, “Someone said that they feel embarrassed to watch me with the program, and asked me whether I have exhibitionism. Even ombudsman program came to me.” 
Kim Hye-Soo also said, “Exhibitionism is mental disease. It is words for trenchcoat men. You can switch channel. I explained, that actors can wear what they want on the red carpet.”
Meanwhile Kim Hye-Soo is having the release of ‘China Town’ ahead on 29th. 

Guest adikkeluangman

Honey Lee Is the One That Protects Boyfriend Yoon Kye Sang?
Actress Honey Lee discussed her relationship with boyfriend Yoon Kye Sang during the April 19 broadcast of MBC’s “Section TV.”
honeylee.jpg

Honey Lee and Yoon Kye Sang’s always lovey-dovey relationship, evidenced recently by their joint calligraphy exhibition, was a main focus of the actress’s interview on the show. “You must not need a bodyguard with Yoon Kye Sang around,” one reporter remarked. A little embarrassed, Honey Lee then joked, “Actually, I’m the one who protects him.”
Regarding how she ended up becoming an actress, Honey Lee said, “I went to shop one day, and when I opened the door, there stood the great Kim Hye Soo. She told me that it would be great if I tried acting.” Later, the two actresses went on to work together on the “Tazza” film series.
http://www.soompi.com/2015/04/19/honey-lee-is-the-one-that-protects-boyfriend-yoon-kye-sang/
Not sure about the last line because Kim Hye Soo not in movie Tazza 2.

April 20, 2015
Kim Hye Soo Is Still Gorgeous; 'Chinatown' Press Premiere and Conference
Source: BNTNews
x7zotg4a80j564khpnac6qow0vr5yt0m.jpg
[by Woorim Ahn, photo by Kim Chi Yoon] Movie ‘Chinatown’ held its press premiere and conference at Wangsimni CGV in Seoul on April 20.
The movie is about two women how to survive in Chinatown, where only useful people can be lived in the area. Actress Kim Hye Soo, Kim Go Eun, Um Tae Goo, Park Bo Gum, Ko Kyung Pyo and others appear in the film.
Meanwhile, ‘Chinatown’ will premiere nationwide on April 29. (photo by bntnews DB)
kbz96o807lr0bj804sj6krllu59gfa3p.jpg

April 22, 2015
Kim Go Eun and Kim Hye Soo don't mind the "Avengers"
Source: Hancinema.net photo586188.jpg
"The Avengers: Age of Ultron" ticket sales has reached 90% and it's expected to clean sweep. However, there's something coming up that doesn't mind Hollywood. It's as mighty as "Iron Man", it's as strong as "Thor" and it's as scary as "The Hulk".

We're talking about Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I. "China Town" has come out at last. The production presentation went over well and the audience cheered for the cast who challenged "The Avengers".
Korean movies have been showing a lack of actresses lately. Son Ye-jin starred in the previous "Pirates" and "Ode to My Father" is the last Korean movie to have seen light. Kim Hye-soo set forward with determination.
She said, "The movie has some emotional parts where you might find difficult to accept. I had a hard time deciding if I should do it or not. Every time went through disguise and went to work I felt thrilled once I set my mind to it. It was special time and I am proud for a movie like this to have been made".
"China Town" is about the survival of two women in China Town where only the 'useful' survive. Kim Hye-soo is the head of China Town known as 'Mom' and Kim Go-eun-I plays Il-yeong who was raised under her. There are scenes where stabbings, gun shootings, running and rolling occur. The movie is blended with money laundering, drugs, gambling, murder and human trafficking.
There's detail in the character of 'Mom'. Kim Go-eun-I attempts at a new character yet once again but comes back more mature. The two actresses with a 21-year-old age gap exchange unique emotions and create synergy out of their characters.
"China Town" is being released this 29th starring Kim Hye-soo, Kim Go-eun-I, Ko Kyeong-pyo, Lee Soo-kyeong-I, Park Bo-geom, Lee Dae-yeon and Jo Bok-rae.
photo586189.jpg

April 21, 2015
Critics’ Week Takes COIN LOCKER GIRLKIM Hye-soo/KIM Go-eun Head to Cannes by Pierce Conran / KOFIC

QkVakgLeZygFJHXksbwx.jpg
Following last week’s official selection announcement for the Cannes Film Festival, the 54th International Critics’ Week (Semaine de la Critique), an event that runs alongside Cannes, revealed its lineup yesterday, focusing on debut or sophomore films. Among the event’s special screenings will be the Korean female-driven gangster film Coin Locker Girl. In the gritty drama-thriller, Eungyo (2012) starlet KIM Go-eun appears as a young woman who has been raised by a tough loan shark, played by The Thieves’ (2012) KIM Hye-soo, after being left in a subway coin locker as an infant. The film marks the debut of director HAN Jun-hee, who previously served as an assistant director on the dramedy Ba: Bo (2008), and wrote the psychic investigative thriller The Gifted Hands (2013). Coin Locker Girl comes from CJ Entertainment’s CGV Arthouse label, which is now three for three with Cannes selections, following last year’s Un Certain Regard invitation for July JUNG’s A Girl at My Door, and the previously announced The Shameless, from OH Seung-wook, also in Un Certain Regard this year. Though some sections and slots have yet to be filled, four Korean films have already been invited to the Croisette this year, along with SHIN Su-won’s Madonna in Un Certain Regard and HONG Won-chan’s Office in Midnight Screenings. Critics’ Week will run from May 14th to 22nd.

April 21, 2015
"China Town" and why we are interested in it
Source: Sports Donga via Hancinema.net
photo586490.jpg
 Actresses and a female producer got together and did it.
Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun-I's "China Town" is a rare female noir. It's not common for two actresses to co-star in a drama let alone risk their physical selves in action moves.
The movie is about 'Mom' who lives a cruel life in dark and shady Chinatown and Il-yeong (Kim Go-eun-I) who is abandoned and has to find her own way of survival. Although they are not directly related, the relation of their surroundings help them survive together. If it weren't for Kim Hye-soo there wouldn't be a "China Town". Once the scenario was complete, the producers thought about her for the role of 'Mom'. She hesitated although she wanted to do it and finally, after 3 months, she decided to go ahead with it. "I doubted I could do it and it was a spectacular experience" she says.
The story of two women started from the head of a female producer. Director Ahn Eun-mi concentrated on Son Ye-jin's "White Night" and Kim Go-eun-I's "A Muse". She says, "Usually, our lives are expressed by men but I wanted to express it from a woman's point of view".

April 24, 2015
Noir film ‘Coin Locker Girl’ puts women in leadMovie subverts genre that typically focuses on male characters
BY JIN EUN-SOO [jin.eunsoo@joongang.co.kr] INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

24070046.jpg
Kim Hye-soo went through a drastic makeover comprising of a fake thick belly and white hair to play a mob boss in China Town. Provided by CGV Arthouse
When it comes to film noir, actresses can take on a limited number of roles, with the femme fatale character usually perceived as the most attractive one.
But in Han Jun-hee’s upcoming debut feature “Coin Locker Girl,” two distinctive actresses play merciless gang members - practically the opposite of the overly feminine noir film stereotype. 
Leading Korean actress Kim Hye-soo is a mob boss based in Incheon’s China Town who goes by the name “Eomma,” meaning “mother” in Korean.
Her monstrous presence in the film is intensified with the drastic makeover she was given. She wears an artificial thick belly and a layer of freckles all over her face for the movie.
24070058.jpg
Rising actress Kim Go-eun is a tough, merciless gang member in the upcoming “Coin Locker Girl.”
“It was a mentally agonizing time for me when I was deciding if I was going to take part in this movie,” the 44-year-old said during a press conference on Monday at the Wangsimni CGV, eastern Seoul. 
“But after I made up my mind, the rest was rather enjoyable. The film had some dark stories, but I was thrilled to focus solely on the Eomma character without thinking about anything else,” she said. 
“I consider myself lucky that I was given a chance to not think about my appearance as an actress.” 
Kim Go-eun, who became a rising star after playing an innocent Lolita-type character in “Engyo” (2012), let go of the fragile image but took full advantage of her mysterious face to play the cold-blooded killer Il-yeong. 
Il-yeong, was abandoned in a subway station’s coin locker room and left for dead before being picked up by one of Eomma’s gangsters. She was on the verge of being thrown out several times, but, having stood beside Eomma faithfully, she is now one of the mob’s key members. 
However, Il-yeong starts to take interest in the world outside of China Town when she meets Seok-hyun, the happy-go-lucky son of the gang’s debtor, and a destructive relationship ensues. 
“Eomma and Il-yeong’s relationship is very odd,” explained Kim Hye-soo. 
“They are not physically related, but with Il-yeong standing beside Eomma, they come to share the same fate. Maybe Eomma considered her as a successor? It is not a matter of love or hatred that drives Eomma’s behavior. They intertwine in a very odd way,” she added. 
The new director’s unprecedented approach to film noir is also worth taking note of. 
Han calls the unusual choice of using women in the key roles in a genre usually dominated by male characters as “much more powerful and cool when seen on screen.” 
“It may seem abstract, but I wanted to tell a story about survival,” he added.
The China Town setting with its rusty red signboards add to the film’s gloomy ambience.
Actors Go Kyung-pyo and Eom Ta-gu show strong performances as sidekicks.
The film opens nationwide on Wednesday. 

April 25, 2015
Kim Hye-soo Excited to Take on New Challenge
Source: The Chosun Ilbo
2015042500390_0.jpg

Kim Hye-soo is a brave actress who is not afraid of taking on new challenges. Her filmography reflects her bold character and undying commitment to acting. 
She played unusually charismatic female roles in "The War of Flower" (2006), "The Thieves" (2012) and "The Face Reader" (2013). She is set to come back with a new noir film, "Chinatown," which will be released next week. 
Kim called her latest endeavor "a new challenge that makes my heart race and scares me at the same time."
"It was an unfamiliar experience, but every time I stepped onto the set I could feel a surge of excitement," Kim said. "Even when I had to spend two to three hours to get dressed up for filming, I could feel a strange sense of excitement that I had to suppress when I was acting."
Kim plays an immigrant woman who lives the tough life of a crime boss. She didn't mind looking unattractive for the role with lots of age spots on her face and a funky hairstyle. She also wrapped prostheses around her waist and hips to look plump. 
"It wasn't easy to decide whether to join or not because I wasn't sure if I could do it," Kim said. "But once I made up my mind, I didn't worry about how I would look for a single moment. I think it is a great privilege as an actress to take on a role that makes you dare to do anything." 
"Chinatown" is a full-on noir film that is rare in Korean cinema. Gloomy and bleak images depict the world of underground criminal life, and maintaining heightened tension is a very important aspect in this particular genre of movie. "I was very focused on how to portray the character vividly and realistically," she said. 
Having been in showbiz for almost 30 years, Kim has now become one of the leading actresses in Korean cinema. "There were times when I felt uneasy about being overrated as an actress. I am not as perfect and great as many people may think, but I'm trying to get better every day. This may be why I can still work." 

April 28, 2015
Life in its harshest form in ‘Coin Locker Girl’
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428
Kim Hye-soo and Kim Go-eun star in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)
Darkness and isolation are the two constants in “Coin Locker Girl,” the feature-length debut from director Han Jun-hee. It is a crime drama -- violent, unpredictable and thrilling, but even amidst its unexpected twists and turns the film never strays from its central message: life is a hard, solitary endeavor.
That theme is counterintuitive to the fact that the central characters in the film call each other a “family” despite having no biological relation. In fact, it isn’t clear at first what the relationship between these characters is, or what they do together.
“Since this is a noir crime movie, I thought that the audience would develop prejudices about the characters if I showed what they do for a living from the beginning,” said director Han, speaking at a press preview at CGV Wangsimni on April 20. “I wanted the audience to see them first as a family. A strange family.”
Heading the family -- which is later revealed to be a vicious crime ring specializing in loans and organ trafficking -- is Mother (Kim Hye-soo), a cold, calculating woman who rules the dark underworld of Chinatown in Incheon. She has two “sons” and two “daughters,” her henchmen who scatter across the city to collect loan payments and to beat and torture defaulters. 
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428Kim Hye-soo stars as Mother in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)

There is no camaraderie in this family, no current of loyalty that underlies the blood-stained transactions. Mother tells her children repeatedly and outright, “When you become useless, I’ll kill you.” 
Of the children, the film focuses on Il-young (Kim Go-eun), a girl whose name means “1-0” -- named for the number of the coin locker she was abandoned in as a baby. After she is sold to Mother as a child, she methodically carries out Mother’s horrific commands to stay alive. She never questions her place -- until she meets Suk-hyun (Park Bo-gum), the son of a debtor who shows her kindness and a life other than the one she’s known. 
However, through a series of events Il-young is taught once again that she can lean on no one, that she can only trust herself in this dog-eat-dog world. In essence, she comes to understand Mother’s state of mind, and the audience realizes that Il-young is becoming the woman she hates so much. 
Throughout the film, the audience is teased with plot developments that never quite pan out the way they’re expected. There is no big moral or turning point, when darkness turns to light, or Mother finds her humanity. Chinatown always remains Chinatown, full of despair. The stark picture of the futility of hope is emotionally tolling, but captivating all the same.
restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20150428Kim Go-eun stars as Il-young in “Coin Locker Girl” (CGV Arthouse)

“Life is always hard, with just a few good moments to keep us going through the hard times,” said Han. “I chose this particular town, with its unique colors, because I felt it reflected that sentiment best.”
Han’s choice to have the events of the movie unfold in two leading female characters -- an unusual decision for a crime drama -- was also a conscious one, designed to amplify the mercilessness of life. 
“I think that women are stronger than men. They don’t make excuses for themselves, and they don’t have regrets,” he said. This strength, embodied in Mother and Il-young, are a welcome departure from the typical role female characters have played in past crime dramas. They are not dependent on the men around them; in fact, they do not and cannot depend on anyone, and rely solely on themselves for survival.
“Coin Locker Girl” is a fast-paced movie dotted with violence, yet it feels heavy and methodical because the audience realizes intuitively that it will be consistently dark and despairing until the end. This impressive debut from Han Jun-hee -- invited to the Semaine de la Critique at Cannes this year -- opens in local theaters Wednesday.
By Won Ho-jung (hjwon@heraldcorp.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this temporary thread for actress Kim Hye Soo will be merged with the original existing thread, thank you.

April 28, 2015

"Coin Locker Girl" Kim Hye Soo, "Cold-hearted truth? That's us"

Source: Xportsnews via Hancinema.net

"Mom's life is a battle for survival. It's either you dominate from above or be abandoned until no further use. Survival is the goal and pending death is the life of this character".

"Coin Locker Girl" was released on the 29th and this reflects a completely different side of Kim Hye-soo. She plays the head of a gang and goes by the name of 'Mom'. She discovers a child named Il-yeong (Kim Go-eun-I) abandoned in locker 10 of the subway and the cold-hearted affection she develops for her is downright depressing.

Kim Hye-soo's 'Mom' character draws attention just from her looks. She doesn't wear make-up and her hair raggedy. This reflects on the limits of a human she must have gone through. Kim Hye-soo mentioned, "I had a hard time with emotional portrayal than I did with looks". When she first read the scenario she felt something strong but didn't get the details. Regarding 'Mom', Kim says, "It's something I've seen in foreign movies or novels, but I felt someone like this must exist somewhere".

"I was most pressurized by the fact that 'Mom' was soon "Coin Locker Girl" and I had to show that. "Coin Locker Girl" is the significance of what she'd experienced all her life. I realized that I had the right to feel whatever feeling came along as I filmed the movie".

Kim Hye-soo tried to act like a real 'Mom' who might exist somewhere. She didn't pretend to be a 'Mom' but she tried to imitate someone who could exist in real life.

"It's not change just because I cut my hair and wore a skirt. I think change comes in the process of seeing a character that I materialize from an abstract image. I made sure my emotional portrayal matched my looks".

Now 30 years into her acting career, "Coin Locker Girl" was not all that easy for Kim Hye-soo. "Choosing "Coin Locker Girl" was the biggest slump I'd ever experienced, but later on, I had fun making it. Han Joon-hee wrote a great scenario. I think he can go for something bigger".

"Han Joon-hee told me he wanted to do "Coin Locker Girl" even if it meant not being able to do anything else later. I knew that if I had screwed up, it would have spiraled his life down the drain. I was amazed at how well he did it even though it was his first feature film".

The most impressive thing of all was Kim Hye-soo's collaboration with Kim Go-eun-I, who is her "Daughter" in the movie. They are not related and she's disposable whenever she's of no use but their unique relationship brings about the meaning of family.

"Big emotions like that is pure affection. It's warmth and cold-hearted emotion. It's what comes from a league like theirs. When Il-yeong came to Mom, she knew that was herself".

Kim Hye-soo added, "It's cold-hearted to judge if a person is useful or not, but survival is what we are doing eventually. There are times when you have to point a knife or stop one even while living life as a family. "Coin Locker Girl" was emotionally overwhelming. The reason why it was possible to act it out, is because we experienced big and small feelings such as that".

About Kim Go-eun-I, Kim Hye-soo said, "The way she analyzes the work and interprets it makes her a pro. She's smart, beautiful and clean. "

"Coin Locker Girl" is the birth of a rare case of female noire. Kim Hye-soo delivers an honest message as the leading actress of Chungmuro.

"Film is all about commerciality so the wavelength of the public is unavoidable, but it's bigger when male characters do it. That's why heroes all around the world are men. That's what the audience wants and it's not going to be easy changing that frame. I think it's something new; seeing two women moving around and I think to myself, there should be more of it. Something that the public can relate with. I wish there were more people like Han Joon-hee".

April 30, 2015

Kim Hye-soo chooses charity work over Cannes

Source: Asiae via Hancinema.net

Actress Kim Hye-soo chose to do charity work instead of going to Cannes.

She's leaving for Myanmar in mid-May in the name of UNICEF. She's been doing volunteer work with UNICEF on a regular basis.

Kim Hye-soo was initially supposed to go to the 68th Cannes International Film Festival for "Coin Locker Girl". However, schedules clashed and she chose Myanmar.

Her management claims, "She's been to Myanmar and it's something she's been doing every year. She's just keeping her promise to the local kids".

Meanwhile, "Coin Locker Girl" is the story of two women surviving in the harsh environment of Chinatown, Incheon. Starring Kim Hye-soo, Kim Go-eun-I, Ko Kyeong-pyo, Eom Tae-goo and Park Bo-geom.

May 8, 2015

Showbox confirms Kim Hye-soo's casting in 'Family Plan'

Source: OSEN via Hancinema.net

Kim Hye-soo's casting in movie 'Family Plan' has been confirmed.

Film investment and distribution company Showbox Mediaplex has confirmed her casting on May 8th.

'Family Plan' is a humanism family drama. The main character is an actress, who has everything perfect. However, there is one thing that is missing in her life. It is a family. The movie is a witty cinematic interpretation of a series of events happening to the main character when she herself tries to create a family for her.

Kim Hye-soo has showed her powerful presence as an actress for her role in "Coin Locker Girl" recently. In 'Family Plan', it will be the first time for her to play an actress role. As such, it is anticipated she will reflect herself on the role.

'Family Plan' is new director Kim Tae-gon's debut project for commercial films. After completing the primary casting, the production team will begin filming in July. The movie is scheduled to be released within the first half of next year.