Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

April 27, 2010

Poetry VIP Film Premiere

a4c336ea3fa14ae909edf229eca5c9c5.jpg

PYH2010042713460099000_P2.jpg

201004272043031003_1.jpg

98c31235742891fd949857b29afb9ad0.jpg

Actress Kim Hye Soo attending the VIP Premiere for 'Poetry' (veteran actress Yoon Jung Hee, Dir. Lee Chang Dong)

at the COEX in Samsung-dong Gangnam-gu, Seoul on April 27th.

Source: news.nate.com 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

• 1 month later...

May 27, 2010

Actress Kim best in kissing scene

20100520_1274321604_65770600_1.jpg

news.nate.com

Actor Lee Sung-jae, 40, has introduced an episode on his kissing with veteran actress Kim Hae-soo, 40.

"I felt thrilled before having a kiss scene with her in the film, Kick the Moon (2001). I asked her to lead me kindly," Lee said. She was very shy, saying that it was the first time that she had ever had a kissing scene shot in a movie, according to Lee.

"But, when we got to the shooting, she aggressively kissed me …," Lee said. "Oops...oh…." Lee did not go on to talk, making the guests on the stage for videotaping burst into laughter.

The episode on the kiss scene was aired in a KBS talk show, "Happy Together" last Thursday.

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to melusine for the highlight rbhcool.gif

Movieweek's 2010 Top Ten Most Beautiful Male and Female Celebrities chosen by photographers

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=342081

Movieweek's Annual List of Top Ten Most Beautiful Male/Female Celebrities <2010 list+pics>

htm_20100614154136020000020301-001.jpg

1. Taecyeon

2. Lee Byung-Hun

3. Won Bin

4. Jang Dong-Gun

5. Lee Jung-Jae

6. Jang Hyuk

7. Cha Seung-Won

8. Kang Dong-Won

9. Bi

10. Lee Min-Ho

1. Jeon Do-Yeon

2. Kim Hye-Soo

3. Shin Min-Ah

4. Son Ye-Jin

5. Shin Se-Kyung

6. Gong Hyo-Jin

7. Ha Ji-Won

8. Song Hye-Kyo

9. Han Hyo-Joo

10. Uhm Jung-Hwa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goofy_yuna

I came to know Hye Soo from watching Style. She truly has good acting skills and a real beauty compared to the others (as a lot of others were refraining themselves from eating just to be skinny). Her pictures taken as a model are really good and classy. She's my number 1 idol already. Glad that she has found someone to love, that is a very lucky guy! :)

July 7, 2010

Kim Hye-soo to Host Global Affairs Program

2010070700244_0.jpg

Kim Hye-soo /Newsis

Actress Kim Hye-soo will be the next host of MBC's global issues program "W" from July 16, to succeed Choi Yoon-young.

The production team said that in a bid to make changes in the program as it marks its fifth anniversary, they found that Kim is interested in environmental and other global issues and an avid watcher of documentaries about them.

Kim's volunteer work in Nepal, where she distributed food and looked after children, was featured in "W" in November last year.

"I like the warm perspective on the world that 'W' has shown over the last five years," Kim said. "I feel very honored and happy to take part in current issues program since that has long been a dream. I'm going to take a cautious and serious approach to this work."

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

July 7, 2010

Actress Kim to host MBC’s 'W'

By Han Sang-hee

Staff reporter

KimHaesoo(1).jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo

Actress Kim Hye-soo is well known for her creative range, and this time she is trying out for a more serious, worldly role.

The 39-year-old will host MBC’s documentary program "W" and is expected to bring both style and information to the small screen. "I will do my best to connect the viewers and the show," Kim said during an interview with the network.

"W" made headlines with its experimental and adventurous issues and footage from around the world, and after successful five years, the show decided to shift to a friendlier version. Kim was chosen to guide the viewers to that goal.

"'W’ is one of those programs that I have personally followed over the years. I’m both excited and nervous (to host the show) at the same time. But a good kind of nervous," she said.

Amid all the entertainment programs showering viewers these days, "W" has been in the center of reminding television viewers of the hopes, concerts and tragedies happening around them. The program opened the eyes of viewers who considered current issues as something boring and difficult and Kim admitted that the show helped her learn a lot about her surroundings. "Good deeds have been carried out by so many people before us. I was also affected by them and also the program: getting information, courage and actually starting to be more active. Healthy actions can create a healthy world," she said.

According to MBC, Kim chose Paul Newman as one of her favorite and most respected actors, not just because he was a respected entertainer, but because he took an important role in making the world a better place. "Newman was an excellent actor, director and also a philanthropist and a successful entrepreneur. When I say successful, I don’t just mean commercial success. He donated the proceeds from his company Newman’s Own and also used organic ingredients for his food company. He was a successful actor, but an individual who reflected his beliefs onto society," she said.

"I hope 'W' will continue the beliefs of the makers and bring more interesting and various issues to the small screen. As the host, I will work hard to connect the viewers with the subjects and hopefully bridge the gap between them and the world," Kim added.

"W" hosted by Kim will start airing on July 16 at 11:50 p.m.

Source: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

July 8, 2010

Actress headlines MBC’s current affairs show

07204614.jpg

Top actress Kim Hye-soo

Top actress Kim Hye-soo is the new host of MBC’s current affairs TV program “W,” the show’s producers announced on Monday. Her first show will be broadcast on July 17.

Kim debuted in 1985 at age 15. Since then, she has been active in both film and TV and received rave reviews for her portrayal of a femme fatale in “Tazza: The High Rollers” (2006).

W, which began in April 2005, focuses on global affairs and their impact on Korean politics and society.

When asked whether her high-profile as an actress would change the show, Kim responded, “W is not a program that can easily be altered because of my presence and I want the program to continue the principles that it was built on.

“I hope to deal with the many issues happening around the globe and not hinder the quality of the program produced by my predecessors.”

Source: joongangdaily.com

July 13, 2010

Kim Hye-soo says "have no marriage plans yet"

Reporter : Choi June-yong Editor : Lynn Kim

2010071317112128743_1.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo speaks during a press conference for television show

"Kim Hye-soo's W" held at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea on July 13,

2010. [Lee Ki-bum/Asia Economic Daily]

Top Korean actress Kim Hye-soo has said that she has no plans as of yet to tie the knot with actor Yu Hae-jin, whom she publicly admitted to dating last January.

The actress made the remark at a press conference for television show "Kim Hye-soo's W," held Tuesday afternoon at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea.

"I have no detailed plans about marriage as of yet," said the actress, who had dismissed impending marriage rumors several times. "I am neither negative nor positive about the institution of marriage. I don't think that a person must get married nor do I believe in celibacy."

The actress, who was recently chosen to host "W," said that she has been watching the international current affairs show since it first came on air in April 2005.

"I will broaden my interests and thoughts by continuing to study information and things that I was curious about," explained Kim about how she will approach her new gig. "I will do my best as a member of the program rather than a host."

Into its fifth year, producers of "W" had been looking for a new emcee to vamp up the show when they heard that Kim, an avid fan of the program, was interested in the job. She will be making her debut as host on the July 16 episode.

Kim, 39, has appeared in over a dozen films and television dramas since debuting in 1986 thru the film "GGambo." Some of her best-known works include films "First Love" (1993), "The War of Flower" (2006) and dramas "Did We Really Love?" (MBC, 1999) and "Style" (SBS, 2009).

She has also hosted television talk shows and major film award ceremonies on numerous occasions.

"W" airs every Friday evening, at 11:50 p.m. on MBC.

Reporter : Choi June-yong yjchoi01@ Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

[PHOTO] Kim Hye-soo attends "W" press conference

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum Editor: Jessica Kim

2010071318225305656_1.jpg

2010071318195997823_1.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo poses during a photo session of a press conference for television show "Kim Hye-soo's W" held at MBC Dream Center in Ilsan, South Korea on July 13, 2010.

Photographer: Lee Ki-bum metro83 @ Editor: Jessica Kim jesskim @ <Ⓒ 10Asia All rights reserved> 1 l 2 l 3

July 14, 2010

2010071400314_0.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo smiles at a press event for the global affairs program "W" she is to host.

2010071400314_1.jpg

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

July 14, 2010

MISSHA's Kim Hye Soo, Lee Byung Hun and Kim Byul 3x the Charm!

2010071406727_2010071435731.jpg

Source: 1 l 2

bn_big_04.jpg

Thanks to ylin, image from beautynet.co.kr

July 15, 2010

New show, new beginning

‘Although being an actress is a big part of me, I think that I should prevent the profession from absorbing me wholly.’

14203843.jpg

Kim Hye-soo, an actress known for her social conscience, is the new host

of MBC’s current affairs program “W.”By Jeong Chi-ho

Actress Kim Hye-soo, named the new host of MBC’s current affairs program “W,” says that the driving force behind her success has been her inferiority complex.

In an interview after rehearsing for her first episode of the show last Friday, Kim, considered by many to be a cultural icon, repeated “inferiority complex” and “lacking” throughout the duration of the interview.

The first edition of the show, hosted by Kim, will air on July 16 at 11:50 p.m. “As I have lived the confined life of a celebrity since I was a teenager, I have always thought that I lacked the experience or sensibility that regular people have,” said the 39-year-old actress, who made her debut in a TV commercial when she was just 14.

The documentary program W has had five successful years on the air, with news anchor Choi Yun-yeong as the host. The show’s handling of risque topics, including coverage of Haitian children eating “mud cookies” (made of mud, salt and margarine) and the murder of a Korean woman by her British husband, has received both critical acclaim and public interest.

Asked about the rehearsal, Kim answered, “Oh, I don’t know,” before laughing. “I was trying to relax...”

Her previous experience hosting a show was her three-year stint on the SBS program, “Kim Hye-soo Plus You,” from 1998 to 2000. She said, however, that she feels nervous about doing her new show justice as W is a current affairs program.

Kim said that even before her gig as host, she was an avid fan of W. “I originally heard of the program through my sister. Since my first viewing, I haven’t missed a single episode. It’s a great program,” she said. “When I see it, I sometimes become angry that those kinds of horrible things are still happening, while feeling empathetic towards those featured on the show.”

She said that one of her favorite episodes was the one featuring Haitian children eating the “mud cookies. Because she has a nephew in her life, the episode made her more sympathetic towards the children.

Besides being a top actress, Kim is also known for her social conscience. Her personal Cyworld Web page was at one point filled with news articles about subjects ranging from the Korea-U.S. free trade agreement to the war in Iraq, as well as articles on other social, political and cultural issues of the day. She is also an honorary ambassador for Good Neighbors, a local NGO.

“Korea used to be one of the countries receiving the biggest amount of aid from the UN,” she said. “However, now that we have developed, we haven’t given as much aid as we could have. Now is the time to give back.”

The actress said that even if she has an all-night shoot, she tries to read a variety of newspapers in the morning. “For a while, I stopped reading social news on purpose because I felt I was becoming too obsessed with current affairs and it was affecting me emotionally,” she said.

“Because I started this work from an early age, I didn’t have a lot of life experience. So as I got older, I felt insecure about lacking a ‘universal’ quality.”

She recalled, for example, an incident with her friend when she was in her early 30’s. The friend pointed to a persimmon tree and said, “Look! It’s a persimmon tree,” and she was shocked that her friend knew what it was because she did not.

Kim also said that her earlier obsession with aging has dissipated as she has gotten older, and that, compared to her 20’s, she is slowly maturing. “I’ve never thought that being an actress is the most important thing in my life,” she said. “Although being an actress is a big part of me, I think that I should prevent the profession from absorbing me wholly.”

The interview lasted for more than an hour, and it was time for Kim to go back to the camera.

“I hope that no matter who is hosting the show, viewers of W will be able to experience a change in their hearts and turn that change into action. I don’t know how long it will last, but I want to stay on [as host] for a long time.”

By Kim Ji-eun [jainnie@joongang.co.kr] joongangdaily.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

August 11, 2010

Kim Hye-soo returns with My Happy Home

by javabeans | August 10, 2010

style_41.jpg

Kim Hye-soo is finalizing the details of her next project, which is opposite another veteran actress, Hwang Shin-hye, in a new MBC drama called My Happy Home. While Kim is working out the particulars of the casting, Hwang has already been confirmed.

I wonder if this means that Kim (and Hwang) will be doing more dramas now, which can only be a good thing. Both actresses have done drama series in the past year after half a decade away from television; Kim in SBS’s fashion-magazine drama Style, and Hwang in The Princess Has Returned (also called The Queen Returns).

Kim and Hwang will be rivals in My Happy Home, which will be a Wednesday-Thursday series. Their characters come from very different backgrounds and start out as classmates in high school, and the drama follows their conflicts and successes over the years as they become adults. Kim’s character had a peaceful family life and therefore possesses a bright personality, while Hwang grew up in difficult circumstances.

The plot sounds pretty basic, but I wouldn’t count it out based on that. Writing the series is Yoo Hyun-mi, who wrote revenge thriller Green Rose and legal-thriller series Scale of Providence.

My Happy Home will begin filming in September and is being planned for 16 episodes. It is scheduled to follow Playful Kiss (which is three weeks from its premiere) and hits airwaves in November.

Via My Daily l dramabeans.com

• 2 weeks later...

Just a highlight mentioning Kim Hye Soo. blush.gif The full YHJ interview at 10Asia (links provided below) or at the News thread.

August 25, 2010

[iNTERVIEW] Actor Yu Hae-jin

Reporter: Choi Ji-Eun Photographer: Chae ki-won Editor: Lee Ji-Hye Editor: Jessica Kim

2010082520071973952_1.jpg

Actor Yu Hye-jin [Chae Ki-won/10Asia]

Yu Hae-jing is an actor with a face that is hard to predict. With his comical yet strangely sharp facial features, he has played roles crossing between a police and gangster, a clown and butcher, and an idiot to villian, while managing to create completely different characters to the many 'bullies' he has been. But he is an actor who is hard to predict not only when he is acting. He is famous for being a perfectionist who will go to the region whose dialect he has to learn for his role and take dozens of ideas to the set of film "WOOCHI" in which he was an animal. He is also a romantist who said his favorite movie is "In the Mood for Love" and will hum a tune by Nat King Cole in a low voice. But the Yu who is best at comedic roles and is the so-called 'indispensable supporting actor' for being glib, is quite reticent in person.

The manager of this man, who feels uncomfortable at press conferences where all attention is turned to the cast and feels most comfortable when at home alone, asked the reporter to refrain from asking questions about the actress he is dating. But as we walked the streets of Insadong to shoot his photographs, a grandmother taking her grandson on a walk, gave her words of blessing to Yu, saying "Get married soon!" and high school students shouted out "Kim Hye-soo is the best!" Yu smiled with no signs of showing he felt uncomfortable. It was a face to Yu we had not seen before.

Reporter : Choi Ji-Eun five@ Photographer : Chae ki-won ten@ Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@, Lee Ji-Hye seven@ <ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved> 10Asia 1 l 2 l 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

October 15, 2010

Kim Hye-soo’s new Wed-Thurs drama My Happy Home

by javabeans dramabeans.com

When Playful Kiss wraps up next week, a new 16-episode drama will take over: My Happy Home [즐거운 나의집], starring Style’s Kim Hye-soo, which is being described as a “Korean Desperate Housewives.” That means a murder mystery will play a pivotal role in the story, which features a cast of ajumma housewives.

Hwang Shin-hye (The Queen Returns) plays Kim Hye-soo’s rival, while Lee Sang-yoon (Life Is Beautiful, pictured below) and musical actor Shin Sung-woo (above) provide some male eye candy.

201010060832421001_1.jpg

Co-director Oh Kyung-hoon has worked on a number of MBC drama productions (Triple, Beethoven Virus, Lawyers of Korea, Hon), although he hasn’t been the main director since 2004′s Phoenix. He teams up with another director, Lee Sung-joon, who doesn’t appear to have (m)any credits, and writer Yoo Hyun-mi of Scale of Providence.

My Happy Home is a complete 180 from its predecessor drama Playful Kiss, but since that show didn’t manage to capture much audience attention, perhaps this one will do better. It goes up against two big(ger) dramas, though: Rain’s action-comedy Runaway Plan B may not provide such heavy competition with its ratings slide, but SBS’s Daemul is pulling away from the crowd. Plus, the ajumma viewership seems like it’s already locked up with Go Hyun-jung leading that show. But hey — a murder-mystery drama sounds like a nice change of pace, even if it IS a total rip-off of the U.S. Desperate Housewives.

My Happy Home premieres on MBC on Wednesday, October 27.

201010171644471115_1.jpg

201010120943774615_1.jpg

Via Asiae, My Daily

October 19, 2010

Kim Hye-soo takes on Ko Hyeon-jeong

By Jean Oh (oh_jean@heraldm.com) koreaherald.com

The fall drama season is proving to be rife with controversy.

A week before news broke of the addition of a new director to SBS’ Wednesday and Thursday night series, “Dae Mul,” the press had a field day with a comment made by Kim Hye-soo on a television program on Oct. 8.

On an MBC entertainment show, Kim responded to a statement made about MBC’s Wednesday and Thursday night series’ losing streak, saying, “Overall, MBC is a wreck.”

The 40-year-old actress voiced her bold opinion weeks after MBC decided to cancel her current affairs program, “Kim Hye-soo’s W,” which will air its last episode Oct. 29, instigating speculation linking her remark to the show’s termination.

Ironically, Kim was getting photographed for the poster of her brand new MBC drama, “Home Sweet Home,” when she reportedly criticized the network.

The mystery melodrama, which delves into a possible murder case, is set to hit the small screen on Oct. 27.

20101019001027_0.jpg

The cast of MBC’s “Home Sweet Home,” (from left to right) Lee Sang-yoon, Kim Hye-soo, Shin Sung-woo

and Hwang Shin-hye, pose for photos during a press conference on Tuesday at the Grand Hyatt Seoul

(Park Hae-mook/The Korea Herald)

In the upcoming series, Kim plays Kim Jin-suh, a psychiatrist out to uncover the truth behind the death of Sung Eun-pil (Kim Kap-soo). In doing so, Kim realizes that the deceased Sung’s wife, Mo Yoon-hee (Hwang Shin-hye), may not only have been involved in Sung’s death but that she has also been having an affair with Kim’s husband, Lee Sang-hyun (Shin Sung-woo).

Just a glance at the plot foretells the telenovela-esque nature of the new drama, where stakes will be high and cat fights will abound.

“I can just sit back and watch them duke it out,“ director Oh Kyung-hoon said of the synergy that one gets from pairing top actresses like Kim and Hwang.

Director Oh, however, was quick to refute presumptions that the drama will be an extreme soap opera.

“This is most definitely not a telenovela-style drama about illicit affairs,” he asserted at the drama’s press conference Tuesday. “Our series explores the relationships between married couples.”

Up against formidable rivals KBS’ “Fugitive Plan B” and SBS’ “Dae Mul” Oh explained why he felt he could take them on.

“Primary viewers of Wednesday and Thursday night miniseries are changing,” he explained. “10 years ago it was viewers in their late teens to their late 20s, but now it is shifting toward those in their late 20s to their mid-40s. So our concept is to target females in their 30s and 40s, which is why you could call this work female-centric. But people who like mysteries and American and Japanese dramas have also been taken into consideration.”

The series’ success, however, will depend on the power of Kim Hye-soo who pulled respectable ratings in her last drama, SBS’ “Style” to attract more viewers than the highly charismatic heroine of “Dae Mul,” played by “The Great Queen Seondeok” star Ko Hyeon-jeong.

It looks like Kim might turn the tables.

On Oct. 17, news broke that not only had “Dae Mul” scriptwriter Hwang Eun-kyung been replaced by Yoo Dong-yoon prior to airing, but that a new director, Kim Chul-kyu, joined the team and started co-directing with “Dae Mul” director Oh Jong-rok.

The changes will affect “Dae Mul” as early as this week, possibly affording Kim Hye-soo’s drama an opportunity to swivel viewers away from the currently popular “Dae Mul.”

“Home Sweet Home” starts airing Wednesday and Thursday nights on MBC on Oct. 27 at 9:55 p.m.