Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

for those interested in dling the trailer for "A Nice Day to Have an Affair":

http://211.239.163.190/baram/baram_trailer_700k.wmv

the official hp of the movie is: http://www.baram2007.co.kr

Thanks creidesca for sharing the trailer for the new movie, really appreciate the link. :)

Jan 30, 2007

image2wx2.jpg

The cast of "A Good Day to Have an Affair" pose at the movie's premiere at the Seoul Cinema on Monday.

From left, Lee Min-ki, Kim Hye-soo, Yoon Jin-seo and Lee Jong-hyuck.

The movie is scheduled for release on Feb 8./Yonhap

Source: photo.english.chosun.com & innolife.net

13381fv7.jpg

13382xb3.jpg13383zj9.jpg

13384ad2.jpg13385xz8.jpg

13386yv7.jpg13387by5.jpg

Feb 2, 2007

Kim Hye-soo Once Doubted Her Talents, But No More

20070202001700eu9.jpg

"I couldn't help but doubt my talent," declares Kim Hye-soo, but despite this modest, self-effacing remark, the actress looks more confident and speaks with more self-assurance than ever before.

In the lustful comedy movie "A Good Day to Have an Affair," set for release on Feb. 8, Kim plays a 30-something wife who has affair with a university student 10 years her junior. Her character is cheerful and comic and Kim delivers the role effortlessly and without exaggerated clowning. It's quite a shift from her past performances. What's the secret behind the sudden change? Has she been hiding her true talents throughout the 21 years of her career?

People started to talk about the "rediscovery" of Kim Hye-soo after her success in "The War of Flowers" in 2006. But the real turning point for Kim was 2000 when she returned to the silver screen after a slump. "Before that, I was satisfied with being stimulated by the creative energy unleashed by other talented people, like my colleagues and directors," she said. That, she admitted, was a rather roundabout way of justifying a deep and gripping doubt about her acting abilities.

At the time, Kim Hye-soo was more like a star than an actress. "I just followed whatever trends were going on in the movies and television," she said. "At the time I had only three choices: a romantic comedy, a general comedy and an adult movie that would be hard to be released in theaters," she said. "That's not to denigrate the genres, I'm just pointing out that my potential roles were very limited."

20070202001701ij4.jpg

Kim describes her success since 2000 as a mutual effort between herself, as she began to challenge herself, and her directors, who coaxed a new Kim Hye-soo to the screen. Finally rising above her doubts about her talents, Kim appeared in "Kick the Moon" in 2001, and after that in "YMCA Baseball Team", "Thr3e", "Faceless Beauty" and "The Red Shoes".

"Because of the success of 'The War of Flowers,' people may associate me just with that movie, but I was working very hard way before that," she said.

Kim Hye-soo debuted at the age of 15, her youthful sensuality stimulating sexual fantasies in teenage boys and men across the country. And while she's confident and eloquent when talking about her self-doubts, she hesitated when asked about her sexual appeal. But she quickly regained her composure and her smile returned. "An actress is by nature subject to sexual fantasies, and in a way responsible for meeting those desires," she said. "But even so, I still feel uncomfortable sometimes when the media chooses to focus on my body or how I dress."

While Kim once lamented that the best directors weren't interested in her, those days are history. With one of the busiest schedules in the movie industry, Kim will appear later this month as an author of Chinese martial arts fiction in "The Family You Hate," directed by Jeong Yoon-cheol. Currently she is shooting "11th Mother" with director by Kim Jin-sung in which she plays a mothering role to a special child just as her life is about to end.

While talking about her character in "11th Mother," she announced, out of the blue: "If I have a baby, I want to have it grow up in the country." When asked why, she cited the talented team behind "The War of Flowers," Director Choi Dong-hun and actors Paek Yoon-shik, Yoo Hae-jin and Cho Seung-woo all grew up in rural areas, she said, and she suspects that their country experiences played an important part in their creativity. Growing up in Seoul and becoming an actress at 15 left Kim no chance for a similar lifestyle. "However hard I try, there are some things I'll never have, and that youthful experience with mother nature is one of them," she said.

While describing the talents of her colleagues on "The War of Flowers," Kim became so excited that she knocked over a nearby stand. Suddenly, this mature actress who we have watched grow up for the last 21 years looked just like that teenager who so many fell in love with.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0702020017.html

02-05-2007

Actress Kim Sees Her Profile Rising

By Seo Dong-shin

Staff Reporter

ensor200702051628180khsha3.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo

Veteran actress Kim Hye-soo, a long-time symbol of "healthy sexiness" in South Korea, is in the limelight this week.

Her new movie, "A Day for an Affair," touted as a "sexy comedy," is set to be released in Korea on Thursday.

Her performance in "Tazza: The High Rollers" received a favorable review from The New York Times upon the film's release in the United States on Feb. 1.

The Times critic called the 36-year-old actress a "Lee Marvin in Ava Gardner's body," finding one of the film's truest pleasures in the curve of her naked back as she sits on a bed talking to her lover in one scene.

Since her acting debut at the age of 15, Kim has enjoyed steady popularity, acting in films, plays and TV dramas over the past two decades.

Unlike most other Korean actresses, she was confident in revealing her body before scantily clad actresses and pop singers gained attention in the late 1990s. What she wears at year-end TV and film award ceremonies is the talk of the town every year.

The graduate of Dongguk University who also earned a master's degree in acting at Sungkyunkwan University said, however, that she does not understand why people are so interested her body.

"I was a little embarrassed when 'Tazza' was released, because the responses were so overwhelming, even if I showed just a little bit of nudity from behind and the side in the film," Kim was quoted as saying in an interview with Yonhap News Agency recently. "Isn't it the media that created the hyper-sexy image of me and the excessive interest in body exposure?" she asked.

In "A Day for an Affair," Kim stars as a married woman who cheats on her husband with a university student a decade younger than her.

The film portrays the married women's liaisons in a light-hearted, playful manner, rather than in a dark way.

saltwall@koreatimes.co.kr

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200...16280752910.htm

013552001eng07re8.jpg013554001eng09un6.jpg

Korean actress Kim Hye-soo

Feb. 5, SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean actress Kim Hye-soo, who stars in the new film "Baram" (Flirtation), a melodrama to be released on Feb. 8.(Yonhap)

Source: http://english.yna.co.kr/Engservices/5500000000.html

Feb 6, 2007

New York Times Favorably Reviews "Tazza: The High Rollers"

10205culturelwe5.jpg

The New York Times praised the Korean film “Tazza: The High Rollers” in a film review, describing it as "a narrative mixed with humour, romance and shocking violence," with a detailed description of the tactics of Korean card games.

Describing the synopsis of the movie based on a Korean comic strip, the paper said, “The film’s true pleasures are visceral, sensual: the curve of a woman’s naked back as she [Kim Hye-soo] sits on a bed talking to her lover [Cho Seung-woo]; the star-field glitter of a nighttime cityscape; the interplay of color-coded rectangles in [director] Choi’s widescreen shots.”

The NYT also said that Choi’s shots “evoke the Pop Art gorgeousness of early Pedro Almodovar” and Kim Hye-soo could be compared to 1940s Hollywood sex symbol Ava Gardner.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/society/news/1438784_11773.html

- Note: please beware of possible spoilers --

02-08-2007

'A Day...' Ironically Is About Love

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

barambonposter2xy3.jpg

The immorality of a sexual relationship outside marriage shouldn't be debated. But the new film "A Day for an Affair" asks, "Is it really immoral?"

The film revolves around two married women who seek and take lovers, deceiving their husbands. They seem to have good reasons.

In dealing with their secret love affairs, the film, promoted as "a sexy comedy," produces hilarious adult jokes through the bold dialogue.

ensor200702082105040101ud7.jpg

Kim Hye-soo, left, and Yoon Jin-seo are two women who

have affairs for different reasons in "A Day for an Affair."

The film's daring journey toward an answer to the question, however, ends at a somewhat cliched destination _ the two women are back where they started.

Directed by Jang Moon-il, the film centers on the lives of two married women, who are only identified by their online chat names, Dew (played by Kim Hye-soo) and Small Bird (by Yoon Jin-seo).

They have different personalities and tastes. But what they have in common is that they want to meet a man who can satisfy their unfulfilled desires.

Dew is a sexy and fashionable woman. She begins dating a much younger man, a college student, whom she meets in an online chat room. The first time they meet offline, they go to a motel and have sex.

Dew doesn't take the relationship seriously. It's just a hobby for her. Her excuse for meeting another man is to take revenge against her husband, who has long been in love with another woman.

Small Bird is the mother of a 9-year-old girl and the wife of a detective. Having married right after graduating high school, she is a naïve woman who sometimes wonders whether she missed out on courtship and romance in the rush to marry her high school sweetheart.

Small Bird also meets a man in a chat room. The man sweet talks her and makes her happy, but he is a suave playboy whose foremost mission is just to sleep with her.

But she makes it hard for him. Sitting on a bed in a motel, she asks him to tell her funny stories.

These exciting detours from the two women's boring lives, however, end tragically.

Dew and her college boyfriend are walked in on in a motel room by Dew’s husband, and Small Bird’s secret lover leaves her as she tries to take their relationship to a more serious level.

What the two women try to find, ironically, is love, which doesn’t exist in their marriage. But the serious aspects of their love affair are either barely examined or overshadowed by jokes.

The film could be interesting as a comedy, but it doesn't answer the question it posed.

two and half stars

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19552011720.htm

February 13, 2007

Smart actress matures as a big star

13011120fh4.jpg

Kim Hye-soo

It seems like Kim Hye-soo is finally walking into the spotlight. For the last 21 years she has been a mellow actress who was rarely cast in the most challenging roles. But now she may be finally getting an opportunity to show her full potential. And, at 37, Ms. Kim appears to have entered the second act of her career.

She showed she can act in “War of Flower,” in which she played a gambling ace with a beautiful naked back that revealed curves enough to entice over 7 million viewers. Coming up in a few weeks she will turn herself into a housewife who secretly dates a college student in director Jang Mun-il’s “A Day for an Affair.” She will also play an unaffected aunt in Jeong Yoon-cheol’s “Shim’s Family” and a prostitute in Kim Jin-seong’s “Eleventh Mother.”

Each of the characters are very different and will require some dynamic acting that will test Ms. Kim’s range. Of course, a reporter never makes pleasant comments. I pointed out that she had never been in a film (except for “War of Flower”) that allowed her to show off her best. Her answer was simple and to the point: “It would have been nice to have a film that represents me at my best, but it’s not an actor’s choice to stand out or blend in with a film. An actor just acts according to the role she is given.” And that is how Ms. Kim is, an unassuming actor with more talent than the films on her resume suggest. It will be good to see more of her work, now that she is getting the roles she deserves.

Q. All three of your forthcoming films sound interesting.

A. I was lucky last year. I worked on four big projects, including “War of Flower.” I don’t think the director had me in mind for “Shim’s Family,” but I liked Mr. Jeong’s ingenuousness and his unique style with the script. It’s a small role, but everyone in the film has a small role and each one plays their part. I wanted to be involved in that process.

As for “Eleventh Mother,” I volunteered to appear in it after I read the screenplay during the filming of “War of Flower.” It was a sad story without forcing anyone to cry. I play a woman who has never been in love but feels great affection toward a small child. To be frank, a lot of people told me that I don’t suit the character, only because the woman has to be fragile and weak, something people cannot imagine me being.

“A Day for an Affair” does not show much skin. It unfolds into a sex comedy with lots of talking. It is also amusing that women who have affairs do not have unhappy endings. Have you heard any criticisms about that?

Let’s not view this movie as the story of a bad housewife who has an illegitimate liaison. It’s about the break away of two women who went a notch higher than women normally go in love. The two women in the film turned into more relaxed and mature women after their affair. If the screenplay portrayed them as cynical figures, I would have had second thoughts about working in this film. [About the criticism] I think it’s the audience’s choice whether they like the film’s conclusion or not.

Again in this film, you seduce a younger man. You have a sensual image that suggests you are bold and sexy.

I can’t be bold and sexy. I try to be bold when I am working. But when I am in front of a man [in real life], I might not be quite so bold.

I think the casting in “A Day for an Affair” pretty much suits everyone’s actual characters, though, in the sense that each actor brought out their own special charms. The director did a fine job of pulling those characters out of us.

I heard you have gone through ups and downs in real life.

No. I moved out of my parent’s home in my mid-20s only because I was afraid that I would become an idiot if I lived with a family who did everything for their star daughter. I paid my own bills, ran errands at district offices, invested in stocks and blew the whole thing off. It was something anyone at that age would have gone through.

And, yes, I did not go to high school. But I went to college and on to graduate school to learn what I wanted to learn later on. I believe it’s more important how an actor remembers their experience than how much experience they accumulate. My life has been smooth, but I had a tough time trying to remember the experiences I have been through.

By Lee Hoo-nam JoongAng Ilbo [mina@joongang.co.kr]

Source: INSIDE JoongAng Daily

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2872349

• 2 weeks later...

02-20-2007

Actresses Dominate on Big Screen

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

200702201901470arfx4.jpg

The stars of actresses are shining brighter than those of their male counterparts in local films.

It’s not only their physical beauty, but also the range of different characters they play that have been attracting moviegoers and better box office results.

Obviously, the movie-going audience now wants to have more choice than the gangster films, which male actors tend to dominate. But also, actresses have proved they are not just the pretty girlfriend of a leading male character any more.

One of the actresses leading the "female wave" in the big screen is Kim A-jung.

She has successfully completed her first "heavy" role in her latest film, "200 Pound Beauty," which sold over 6 million tickets nationwide. In this film version of "The Ugly Duckling," Kim had to become her ugliest, a role which most actresses would avoid.

During the hot summer season, she wore special makeup all over her body which took four hours to apply; a makeover which led the film to become the seventh most successful film in history. The movie is the only one in the top 10 most successful films that does not deal with death and violence.

Her hidden talent in singing also came through with the original sound track of the movie topping local music sales charts for weeks.

Another actress not shying away from challenging roles is Kang Hye-jung, and her efforts have usually borne fruit.

In her latest film, "Herb," she played the part of a 20-year-old woman with the intelligence of a 7-year-old.

Although the film has many conventional tearjerker elements, Kang’s superb performance as a mentally retarded woman successfully impressed audiences, and the film sold 1 million tickets nationwide.

Unlike Kang, actress Ha Ji-won has challenged herself physically.

In her new film, "Miracle on 1st Street," she plays a female boxer. She joined a gymnasium where professional boxers train and went through intensive training for months for the movie.

Through the new role she shows her tough side after the popular TV historical drama in which she played a renowned kisaeng, a Korean female entertainer similar to a Japanese geisha. Thanks to her superb performance, the film came first at the box office during the Lunar New Year holidays.

Actresses such as Kim, Kang and Ha aim to play a wide range of different roles in movies, but Hyun Young comes to the screen in a different way.

With her unique nasal voice, which many found dislikable when she debuted, she has successfully trademarked it, combining it with her comic and cheerful characteristics.

In the past she played minor supporting roles, usually of a comic nature, including the leading female character’s wacky friend in "The Art of Seduction" (2005) and an ethnic Korean from Yanbian as the Korean translator in "My Wife Is a Gangster 3" (2006) that starred Shu Qi.

In her latest film, "The Perfect Couple", she plays her first leading role. The low budget romantic comedy drew audiences of over 1 million.

Another actress who has successfully facilitated her strength in recent films is Kim Hye-soo.

She has long been a sexy icon and starred in many popular television dramas, but despite her 20 year popularity was not so successful on the big screen until last year's hit film "Tazza: The High Rollers."

In the film, she played a femme fatale who organizes a gambling game with her seductive charms. It sold 6.8 million tickets and garnered her the best actress award in the Blue Dragon Film Awards.

Her new film, "A Day for an Affair," is now showing. She takes on a bolder character, that of a married woman in the early 30s who enjoys dating a much younger man and having sex. The film has been moderate success, coming third at the box office over the weekend.

Her next film "Shim's Family" opens on March 1, and the audience is expected to see her new side.

The film is a story about family members who have little in common, and she plays an unemployed woman who lives with her sister's family.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...18522311700.htm

Thursday, February 22, 2007

[movie REVIEW]

Mysteriously humorous vision of the Korean family

The institution of the family has long been protected and justified in Korea and elsewhere. But the time-honored system is struggling to survive. A common thread, namely the sugarcoated idea (or ideal) of happy family members living together, is disappearing fast. It's time to say goodbye to the glorious family-oriented era. Or is it?

"Shim's Family," directed by Chung Yoon-chul, suggests there are indeed many disheartening developments that deal a lethal, if not final, blow to the family system in Korea. But it also puts forward a new vision that may shed light on where today's trouble-laden family system should go - or sit still and hold onto its shabby place, tooth and nail.

Shim's family is utterly dysfunctional, if not chaotic. The father (Cheon Ho-jin) is a supposedly widely respected school teacher but his everyday life is saddled with suffocating routines. At school, he cannot punish even an unruly student who dares to send text messages during his class.

In this wonderful mobile phone era, such corporal punishment at school can be easily recorded by students armed with camera-equipped mobile phones for possible online exposure of "bad teachers." At night, he sternly and persistently rejects romantic overtures from his wife (Moon Hui-kyung). It's not that he's tired on that particular day, but that he's in such poor condition practically every day in the past few years. When confronted, he just crosses his poor feet together, as if protecting his himself, and comes up with lame excuses.

200702220020gs7.gif

The wife is far from happy either. She has been terribly tired, as with many of Korean homemakers. All the household chores - cleaning, cooking, washing dishes and all that - are her everyday mission, and she is hitting her limit. She wants to pull out of her dreadful life, but she cannot find a turning point. Instead, she has to struggle with her trouble-making children.

Her son (Yu A-in) often gets corporal punishment (no mobile phone camera in this case) because he skips classes without prior notice or shows up for school hours after the opening bell sounds.

His main concern, in fact, is somewhere else: his previous life. He strongly believes that his previous life has something to do with his current problems, so he continues to seek the truth about the mystery of his true identity.

His temporary conclusion is that he used to be a king in the Joseon Dynasty, and maintained a secret yet tragic relationship with a court lady. The high-school boy associates the court lady with a girl in the neighborhood, and thinks they are predestined to love each other. But the girl (Chung Yu-mi) does not think so.

The boy has a younger sister (Hwang Bo-ra), the film's sole narrator who provides interesting insight. She is not a serious troublemaker, though. She just falls asleep during classes often and does not want to focus on what she has to do as a student.

What interests her most is a mysterious teacher (Park Hae-il), who is temporarily employed teaching filmmaking. In reality, it's very unlikely that a Korean school employs a specialized film teacher, but this film puts much emphasis on "mystery" and why he's employed in the first pace is also a mystery.

The girl's fascination with the teacher is largely based on the element of the unknowable, or at least what's unknown so far. She finds a captivating inspiration from his weird behavior - he founds a school club whose chief mission is to pursue the mysterious things in the world.

There is another family member who lives in the mysterious fantasy world: the wife's sister (Kim Hye-soo). She seems to idle away her time but she's a serious writer. The problem with her occupation is that her work is not available at the usual bookstores since it belongs to a highly specialized genre known as "muhyeop," a cheesy fantasy martial-art fiction that caters mainly to a particular group of men wallowing in hero fantasy set in the old Chinese era.

But ignore the Chinese hero story writer. She has only a minor role here, though the marketing department of the production studio has frontloaded Kim as a main actor because she's now enjoying huge popularity as a movie actress following the success of "Tazza: The High Rollers" last year.

Attention should be channeled to the key development that shakes up the already shaky family members altogether. One day, the father sleeps with a school girl at a motel. He doesn't buy sex; he just happens to rescue the girl on the street, but somehow they end up at the motel, and something (other than sex) happens in a way that shocks the entire community.

Director Chung Yoon-chul, who made a successful feature debut with "Marathon," takes his time getting the main plot to take off. Many of the well-crafted scenes are playful, and some of the comic situations border on a blurred area between a social satire and sitcom.

Although Chung crafts up his take on the struggling Korean family a tad long (running time is 114 minutes), his clever storytelling technique makes up for the overwrought script. Just pay attention to a scene involving barbarians. Why? Ask the mysterious moon which holds the key to the secret of a deplorably messy family affair.

(insight@heraldm.com)

By Yang Sung-jin

Source: The Korea Herald

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00702230015.asp

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

April 17, 2007

[Talk of the town]

KIM HYE-SOO TO HOST UDINE FILM FESTIVAL

16215402bs9.jpg

Actress Kim Hye-soo has been invited to be the guest “diva” at the Udine Far East Film Festival opening Friday in northern Italy. She will meet with the local press there, as well as participate in a panel discussion on Korean film.

“I am very honored and delighted to be invited to the festival,” said Kim through her management agency. “I believe it [my invitation] was possible because the stature of Korean films has grown significantly over the past year in the international film industry.”

The organizer of the Italian film fest is also reported to have praised Kim, saying that she “is a good representative of Asian actresses” and that “her participation will bring her more to the attention of the European press.”

Out of the recent films she starred in, “Tazza: The High Rollers,” formerly known as “The War of Flowers,” has been chosen to screen in the festival’s special feature category, while “A Day for an Affair” has been chosen to show on the closing night.

The opening night of the 9th Udine Far East Film Festival is April 20, and the festival will continue until April 28. A total of 14 Korean films have been invited, including “200-pound Beauty,” “The Host” and “A Dirty Carnival.”

Source: English JoongAng Daily

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2874530

• 2 weeks later...

May 1, 2007

Kim Hye-soo Celebrated at International Film Festival

Korean actress Kim Hye-soo was praised as the "Monica Bellucci of Asia" at an international film festival on Saturday. Kim was participating in the closing ceremony of the 9th Udine Far East Film Festival in Italy on the weekend. The Udine festival is the largest film event for Asian movies in Europe.

Looking every inch an Asian diva, Kim appeared on stage with Sabrina Baracetti, the president of the festival. While expressing her gratitude to the Korean actress, Baracetti compared Kim to Monica Bellucci, the sexy Italian film star.

20070501001201yp9.jpg

Kim was present for the screening of two of her movies, "The War of Flower" and "A Day for an Affair." Thanks to her popularity, tickets for the screenings at "il teatro nuovo giovanni da udin" were sold out. Following the movie, the audience shouted their praises for Kim, calling her "bellissima" or beautiful, and "una donna bellissima", or one of the most beautiful women.

She also attracted a lot of attention from the local press and reporters from all over the world, indicating the possibility that she may become a global star. Kim also took the time to answer questions from about 30 journalists, including RaiRadio TV of Italy.

Source: englishnews@chosun.com

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0705010012.html

• 1 month later...

June 5, 2007

Images of Celebrities Mirror the Times

By Seo Dong-shin

Staff Reporter

1516ke9.jpgSinger Rain

photographed by Cho Sun-hee

070605p15images2ky1.jpg070605p15images1qw5.jpg

Photographs of superstars like singer Rain and actor Jang Dong-gun, revealing the chiseled upper half of their body naked, or those of actress Kim Hye-soo and singer Lee Hyo-lee, with long hair flowing loose across their sensuous faces.

No, the exhibition is not aimed at drawing thousands of teenage followers, although it could be expected to happen without fail. The exhibition "Myth in the Mirror," underway at Art Sonje Center since last week, was organized for a more serious theme: reflection on the relation between society's desire and reality.

Gathered are about 200 photographs of actors, singers, models and other celebrities in the entertainment industry, taken for use in film posters, magazines, or commercials. Twelve prominent photographers contributed about 15 pieces each for the exhibition.

"We aim to find a mirror reflecting the face of our times through these images," Shin Soo-jin, a photo critic and psychology researcher at Yonsei University who organized the exhibition, said. "The mirror in this context is the one trusted by the stepmother of Snow White as an impartial judge of beauty. At the same time it's the mirror that attracts and drowns Narcissus into the pond, and also the mirror of Jacque Lacan, which marks a decisive turning point in the mental development of the child and becomes a stepping stone toward communication with others."

While those who expect perfect eye candy may feel befuddled at such an academic kind of explanation, in short, the beauties in the photographs will reveal the desire _ whether it be beauty or a better life _ shared by the members of Korean society and the reality influenced by it.

Leading South Korean photographers are taking part in the exhibition including Park Ki-ho, who recently held a solo exhibition at White Wall Gallery in Cheongdam-dong, southern Seoul; Koo Bohn-chang, who is more well-known for his artistic photographs of white porcelain; and Cho Sun-hee, a popular photographer among fashion and entertainment industry people, who has also authored books on photography.

The exhibition will run through Aug. 15 at Art Sonje Center in Sogyeok-dong, near Anguk Station on subway line No.3. Lectures by participating photographers will take place every Saturday at 3 p.m. from this week to July 14. For more information, visit www.artsonje.org.

saltwall@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...6/135_4183.html

• 5 months later...