Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

• 3 weeks later...

July 18, 2013
Kim Hye-soo poses for Cosmopolitan
By Lee Sun-min Korea JoongAng Daily

17191046.jpg
Actress Kim Hye-soo smiles in a photo released yesterday for fashion magazine Cosmopolitan. [JoongAng Ilbo]
17191037.jpg
Actress Kim Hye-soo poses for fashion magazine Cosmopolitan in photos released yesterday. [JoongAng Ilbo]
17191028.jpg
Actress Kim Hye-soo poses in a red color dress for fashion magazine Cosmopolitan in photos released yesterday.[JoongAng Ilbo]
17191020.jpg
Actress Kim Hye-soo poses in a scandalous dress in Spain for fashion magazine Cosmopolitan in photos released yesterday.[JoongAng Ilbo]
Actress Kim Hye-soo of KBS drama “God of the Workplace” wears a provocative dress in photos released by fashion magazine Cosmopolitan yesterday. The magazine recently went to Spain with the actress to work on a photo shoot. 
In one of the photos, Kim wears a skin color top that many may mistake as her wearing no clothes at all. 
“Kim was grooving to the Flamenco rhythm and laughing as she showed off her charisma,” said an official at the magazine, according to local media reports. 
The official added that Kim’s cheerfulness added a livelier atmosphere during the photo work there. 

July 17, 2013
KIM HYE SOO IN SPAIN FEATURED IN COSMOPOLITAN KOREA’S AUGUST 2013 ISSUE
Posted by goodange Couch Kimchi
Kim Hye Soo made herself at home in Segovia, Spain, where she shot a pictorial for the August issue of Cosmopolitan Korea.
The actress fitted her voluptuous figure in body-hugging dresses, posing rhythmically like a flamenco dancer. 3_zpseaeaef24.jpg~original
 Source  |  Herald Corp 

• 3 weeks later...

August 2, 2013
Period pieces dominate Korean cinema, TV
By Do Je-hae The Korea Times
facesall_450.jpg
Hyun Bin, left, Kim Soo-hyun, center, and Ha Ji-won, right, are some of the stars who will highlight new works set in the ancient kingdoms of Joseon and Goryeo. / Korea Times
Period pieces known as "sageuk” have been the dominant force in film and on TV this year.
The three major broadcasters KBS, MBC and SBS each started the year with airing new sageuk. In total they will have aired 13 period pieces by the end of 2013, which is more than any previous year in Korean broadcast history.
Star actors Hyun Bin and Lee Jeong-jae, and actress Ha Ji-won will make highly-anticipated comebacks in historical dramas in the coming months.
Films
After Hyun Bin was released from military service in April, the first thing he did was to announce that he will star in a historical drama for the first time.
The 30-year-old had reached stardom through lead roles in romantic comedies such as the 2005 “My Name is Kim Sam-soon” and 2010 “Secret Garden.” Since his debut, however, he has never performed in a period piece either in film or on TV. His first sageuk will be “The King’s Wrath,” which recently finalized its casting and will embark on filming later this month. It will be released in the spring of 2014.
Hyun will be playing the role of King Jeongjo (1752-1800), the 22nd ruler of the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910). The film deals with the fierce factional fighting of King Jeongjo’s reign. As a boy he witnessed the tragic death of his father Crown Prince Sado, who was executed on the orders of his grandfather King Yeongjo.
“The life of King Jeongjo has previously inspired many films and TV dramas. The King’s Wrath will show the tough and charismatic sides of the king that have been undermined in past works,” Hyun said in a press release. “It is my hope that I will grow as an actor through the first sageuk of my career.”
The casting of Hyun as King Jeongjo reflects one of the most visible saguek trends, where the age of actors portraying the kings is getting increasingly younger. In the past, seasoned actors over 40 had usually been considered for reigning monarchs. Hyun joins a series of actors in their 20s and 30s who are flaunting their versatile acting skills in their portrayals of Joseon kings, such as Yoo Ah-in, Kim Soo-hyun and Song Joong-ki.
Although Hyun belongs to the rare category of young actors who combine good looks and acting skills, it remains to be seen if he can be equally impressive in a period piece as he has been in his previous works.
Fans and critics will be looking to see if Hyun can repeat the unexpected sageuk success of Lee Byung-hun last year. Also acting in his first period work, Lee made headlines for his dual roles as Joseon’s King Gwanghae and the humble acrobat Ha-sun in “Gwanghae: The Man Who Became King.” The movie swept the 49th Grand Bell Awards, winning in 15 categories, including best film, director, screenplay and actor.
The King’s Wrath is gaining press attention also because it is the screen debut of Lee Jae-kyu, director of hit MBC dramas “Da Mo” and “Beethoven Virus.”
Another period film to watch for is “The Face Reader.”
The upcoming film will be released in September and stars some of the biggest names in Korean cinema, including Lee Jeong-jae, Song Kang-ho and Kim Hye-soo.
The movie is set in earlier years of the Joseon Kingdom and centers around major political events involving the ruthless Prince Suyang (played by Lee), who later engineered a coup d’etat and killed his young nephew in claiming the throne to become the 7th ruler of Joseon, King Sejo.
TV
A lot of the works from the heyday of sageuk  in the 1990s and through the mid-2000s revolved around men and wars. But a growing number are focusing on the lives of female political or cultural heavyweights.
Ha Ji-won will make a comeback to period drama with “Hwatu,” where she will play Empress Gi of the Goryeo Kingdom (918-1392). One of the most sought-after actresses, Ha led the success of several period dramas such as the 2003 “Da Mo” and 2006 “Hwang Jini.”
“Hwatu” will deal with the love life and politics of Empress Gi, who was known for her beauty and intellect. “It will show the love story of Gi that has never been shown on TV before,” an MBC press release said.
Ha has begun filming the drama. It will start airing at the end of the year following “Goddess of Fire,” another Joseon-era sageuk which currently fills MBC’s Monday-Tuesday slot for nighttime drama.
“Hwatu” sets itself apart as a mega sageuk that will run for 60 episodes, which is much longer than many of the period pieces these days containing no more than 25 or 30 episodes. Renowned screen writer Jang Young-chul will write the script of “Hwatu.” Jang wrote the screenplay of the 2006 TV series “Dae Jo Yeong,” one of the most critically-acclaimed sageuk on Korean TV.
Kim Soo-hyun is reportedly reviewing the script of SBS “Man From Another Star” as he seeks to continue his hot streak after box-office hits “Covertly Grandly” and “Thieves.” The setting of “Man From Another Star” alternates between Joseon and modern times. The 25-year-old heartthrob turned heads in his first TV sageuk appearance last year as a Joseon monarch in love in “Moon Embracing the Sun.”
For history buffs, KBS is currently preparing to film “Jeong Do-jeon” set in the founding years of the Joseon Kingdom. Jeong Do-jeon (1342—1398) was one of the most powerful aristocrats and politicians of his time and a close supporter of King Taejo, the founder of Joseon.
PS13070800066(0).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

August 14, 2013
Director and Stars Gather for THE FACE READER Press ConferenceSong Kang-ho and Rest of Cast Express Strong Confidence by Tae Sang-joon KOFIC
KsuaEfPLuKoMPbbGSfdJ.jpg
A production press conference was held for The Face Reader at Megabox, Dongdaemun of Jung-gu in Seoul with the participation of popular Korean actors and actresses such as Song Kang-ho, Lee Jung-jae, Baek Yoon-shik, Kim Hye-soo and Lee Jong-suk in the afternoon of August 12th. Director Han Jae-rim has returned with The Face Reader, six years after directing Rules of Dating (2005) and The Show Must Go On (2007). The physiognomy-based film tells the story of a genius face reader who can see the future by reading faces, and then tries to change the destiny of the Joseon Dynasty in the 15th century. “These wonderful actors and actresses remind me of the fact that I shot the film with great people,” Han said. “People around me joked that I must have saved my country in my former life. I am blessed to have had such a good cast.” Before The Face Reader, Song worked with Han on The Show Must Go On. In The Face Reader, he appears as Nae-gyeong, the best face reader in the Joseon Dynasty. “I had the honor of working with Song, one of the greatest actors of our time,” director Han said. “The Face Reader is a very unique period film. I am anticipating good results and responses,” Song said. 
 Also of note is the acting duel between Lee Jung-jae and Baek Yoon-shik, who each play Prince Su-yang and Kim Jong-seo, two real historical characters. “Audiences will see a young Prince Su-yang who is a bit tough but dignified as a prince. I am sure you will be impressed with the character,” Lee said. “I really enjoyed playing with Lee,” said Baek who performed with Lee in The Face Reader for the first time.” “Its screenplay really gripped me,” said Kim Hye-soo who plays kisaeng Yeon-hong, the only female character in the film. “All the characters are attractive,” said Kim while also expressing strong confidence in the film. On the other hand, two new rising stars, Jo Jung-suk of Architecture 101 and Almost Che and Lee Jong-suk of As One and Soar into the Sun play Paeng-heon, a colleague of Nae-gyeong and Jin-hyeong, the son of Nae-gyeong. The Face Reader will premiere on September 11th.

August 13, 2013
PYH2013081308560031500_P2.jpg

'The Face Reader' to hit screens in September
South Korean actress Kim Hye-soo poses during an event to promote the new movie "The Face Reader" at a Seoul theater on Aug. 12, 2013. Kim stars as a "giseng (Korean geisha)," who gets involved in power struggles inside the royal court during Korea's ancient Joseon Dynasty. The film will hit local screens in September. (Yonhap) (END)

August 22, 2013
Korean Flicks Dominate Domestic Box Office This Summer
The Chosun Ilbo
Korean films are having the upper hand at local theaters this summer and crowding out their Hollywood rivals.
The Korean Film Council said on Wednesday that director Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" and Kim Byung-woo's "The Terror Live" have attracted 8.34 million and 5.14 million spectators, respectively. 
Kim Ji-woon's "Hide and Seek" and Kim Sung-soo's "The Flu," which were released two weeks later, have so far garnered box-office admissions of 2.61 million and 2.09 million.
2013082200938_0.jpg

Owing to a wave of domestic hits, the market share of Korean films reached 89.1 percent last weekend. The local film industry is now said to be enjoying a boom due to a variety of films helmed by both well-known and rookie directors. 
As of Wednesday, Korean films have attracted a total of 81.72 million spectators this year, putting them well on track to pass the 100-million mark for the second year after the milestone was first reached in 2012. Some critics even optimistically predict the figure will extend as far as 200 million viewers, as a spate of films with heavyweight names are awaiting release in the second half of this year. 
"The Spy," starring Daniel Henney, Moon So-ri and Sol Kyung-gu is due out on Sept. 5. "The Face Reader," which boasts a star-studded cast including Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-jae and Song Kang-ho, "The Huntresses," a Korean version of the American action comedy Charlie's Angels starring Ga-in, Ha Ji-won and Kang Ye-won, and "Friend II," a sequel to the 2001 record-breaking film by Kwak Kyung-taek, will all follow suit.

August 23, 2013
‘The Face' A new collaboration from Korea's best directors & staffs
STARN News 201308270836770712_521be7349b8aa.jpg

Korea's best film producers, actors, and staffs gathered for 'The Face'.
'The Face' will be released on September 11th, and netizens' attention is now getting focused to all of the producers, actors, and staffs who gathered for a major collaboration.
The directors who participated in the film include Han Jae Lim, Lee Ha Jun, Go Nak Sun, Shin Hyun Seop, and Lee Byung Woo, and each of them are all at the top of their games.
First of all, shooting director Go Nak Sun participated in 'Nameless Gangster : Rules of Time', 'Five Senses of Eros', 'Voice Of A Murderer', 'The President's Last Bang', and 'Flying Boys' as shooting and lights director.
Go Nak Sun is widely recognized for his sensible use of lights, and he will be presenting beautiful scenes that were taken by using his own techniques.
Furthermore, arts, which is one of the most important factors in historical movies, was directed by arts director Lee Ha Jun, who participated in 'The Thieves', 'Blue Salt', and 'The Housemaid'.
Director Lee Ha Jun received a great number of awards at many different film festivals, and he fully utilized his past experiences for this movie. Not only did he built a major set for the movie, he also selected every single items in each scenes.
Outfits were directed by chief Shim Hyun Seop, who participated in a great number of hit historical films, including 'King and the Clown', 'Shadows In The Palace', 'The Sword with No Name', and 'Pyeong Yang Castle'.
He designed the most unique outfits, keeping tradition and style at the same time.
Furthermore, music was directed by Lee Byung Woo. Lee Byung Woo is currently one of the most well known musical directors in Korea, and many fans are showing a big anticipation for Lee Byung Woo's new music.
On the other hand, 'The Face' will be released on September 1st.
/Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com
801821162101.jpg

August 29, 2013
Korean films rocket toward record box office numbersDomestic movies expected to hit 100 million-viewer mark next month
By Claire Lee The Korea Herald

Domestic films are set to break the 100-million mark in attendance since January this year by next month, according to the state-run Korean Film Council. 
Local films exceeded the 100 million-viewer mark for the first time in November 2012. The milestone meant Koreans saw at least two local films on average last year. 
A new box office record is about to be set, beating last year’s performance by almost three months.
20130829001296_0.jpg

In the month of August alone ― from Aug. 1 to 25 ― Korean films drew 24.36 million viewers to local theaters. 
A number of hit films contributed to this month’s box office success, including Bong Joon-ho’s blockbuster “Snowpiercer.” The dystopian sci-fi flick, starring Tilda Swinton and Ed Harris, has drawn 8.8 million viewers since its release on Aug. 1.
Emerging director Kim Byung-woo’s disaster thriller “The Terror Live,” starring Ha Jung-woo, has drawn 5.4 million viewers. Meanwhile, “Hide and Seek,” another thriller also directed by rookie filmmaker Huh Jung, has attracted 4.07 million. “The Flu,” a pandemic thriller by Kim Seong-soo, was seen by 2.7 million. The market share of locally produced films this month reached 78.4 percent.
The 24.36 million-viewer record beats the one set in February, which stood at 18.09 million viewers with the popularity of Ryu Seung-wan’s star-studded North Korean spy flick “The Berlin File” and tearjerker drama “Miracle in Cell No. 7.”
The number of domestic film releases has been increasing as well in the past four years. In 2009, a total of 118 Korean films were released, 140 in 2010, 150 in 2011 and 175 in 2012. As of August, a total of 98 local movies have hit theaters so far this year. 
The Korean movie industry also enjoyed significant success away from the box office last year. Director Kim Ki-duk won the Golden Lion Award for his bleak morality tale “Pieta” at the Venice Film Festival, becoming the first Korean filmmaker to win the honor. Domestic films’ market share hit 59 percent as well, up 7 percentage points from the previous year. 
This year’s local movie lineup included movies by the country’s most prominent directors, including Park Chan-wook, Kim Jee-woon and Bong Joon-ho. 
Park and Kim made their Hollywood debuts this year, Park with the psychological thriller “Stoker” and Kim with the action flick “The Last Stand.” Bong’s “Snowpiercer,” co-produced by Korea’s CJ Entertainment and Park Chan-wook among others, is the most expensive film in Korean movie history.
Korean films, both commercial and independent, were also diverse in genres and style, appealing to a wide spectrum of viewers. Jang Cheol-soo’s hit film “Secretly Greatly,” for one, was based on the popular 2010 webtoon series “Convertness” by artist HUN. 
The film, starring national heartthrob Kim Soo-hyun as an attractive North Korean spy disguised as an intellectually disabled person in South Korea, was especially popular among the young viewers. Another hit film “Cold Eyes” was about a group of detectives specializing in surveillance of high profile criminals. Independent movie “Pluto,” which critically deals with Korea’s competition-oriented education system, also received positive reviews from the audience and the press. 
Rookie directors Huh Jung and Kim Byung-woo also produced unexpected hits with their highly successful thrillers “Hide and Seek” and “The Terror Live.”
“The number of movie theaters did not increase much compared to the year before, so it’s not the venues,” said Kim Young-gi from the Korean Film Council. “So I’d have to say the box office success of domestic movies really has to do with their substance and quality. I think a lot of great, quality movies came out this year and the audience took notice of them.”
The local press and industry insiders predict that the films could even reach the 200 million mark by the end of this year, as a number of highly anticipated films are still to be released, including “The Spy” which co-stars Sol Kyung-gu, Moon So-ri and Daniel Henney, and “The Face Reader” which stars some of the country’s biggest stars including Kim Hye-soo, Lee Jung-jae and Song Kang-ho. 
Hong Sang-soo’s latest work “Our Sunhi” and Kim Ki-duk’s controversial drama “Moebius” are set to be released in September as well. 

August 30, 2013
Song Kang Ho talks about working with Kim Hye Soo STARN News 20130829_1377765335_84465000_1.jpg

Song Kang Ho expressed special thanks to Kim Hye Soo.

On August 29th, actor Song Kang Ho participated in live showcase of movie 'The Face', and said, "I knew I was going to be working with some great people. I really enjoyed reading the scenario."
He went on, "One particular thing that surprised me was that Kim Hye Soo was casting in the movie. Kim Hye Soo is a major actress who can lead an entire movie just by herself. The movie got much better thanks to her participation, but 'The Face' is a story about guys."
He continued, "But, she willingly accepted the job in a very short time. I am feeling a huge thanks to her, and I could see how great an actress she is once again."
Kim Hye Soo said, "I have to say thank to many people first. They welcomed me very warmly, and Song Kang Ho has been one of the actors that I always wanted to work with."
On the other hand, 'The Face' will be released on September 11th. /Reporting by Lee Mi-Ji en@starnnews.com
860271_0_498528_89308.jpg

August 23, 2013
Period Films on the RiseTHE FACE READER and Period Film Craze by Tae Sang-joon KOFIC

IIUSMdwvIpKPPlAmBCzO.jpg
The period film in Korean cinema has been an unpopular and outdated genre until only recently. Back in the 1960s, during Korean cinema’s golden age, the genre was very active, featuring diverse personas and settings from the past. However, the recycling of similar narratives and endless remakes eventually burned out the genre, resulting in a loss of audience. Along with the burnout of the genre, another factor for its downfall was a budgetary issue. To produce a well-made period film, a huge budget is a must, which became one of the reasons for movie studios to turn their back on the genre. To meet historical details, the basic producing cost of building sets and making costumes could easily reach KRW 10 billon (USD 10 million). Controversial perspectives on historical facts and events could also bring risk to commercial films, resulting in another important reason why this genre was avoided.
Things have clearly changed today. With an average viewing rate of 42.4%, The Moon Embracing the Sun, one of the last year’s TV series, became a huge hit, announcing that the period drama has now become a rising star both in TV and cinema in terms of viewer ratings and box office profits. The prosperity of this genre can be proved by numbers. The PARK Hae-il starring action movie War of the Arrows, released in August 2011, reached 7.45 million accumulated viewers, and KIM Dai-seung’s (Bungee Jumping of Their Own, 2001; Traces of Love, 2006) low budget period film The Concubine sold 2.6 million tickets, turning out to be a veritable sleeper that hardly anybody saw coming. The Grand Heist, a period film featuring CHA Tae-hyun, almost topped five million viewers. Most outstandingly, the LEE Byung-hun film Masquerade became the biggest hit ever among period films in Korean cinema. Directed by CHOO Chang-min of Mapado (2005) and Lost in Love (2006), Masquerade attracted 12.3 million spectators, ranking at the third place in the all time Korean box office chart between The Thieves and Miracle in Cell No. 7. tdxONYRFqrzycnzFVXzv.jpg
There are certain keywords to explain this unprecedented prosperity of period films in Korean cinema today. They are “fusion” and “faction.” While, in the past, period films were limited within a traditional generic framework, the 21st century version of this genre cleverly blends with other genres such as the thriller, medical drama, comedy, fantasy and so on. Furthermore, historical events and personas are freely adjusted and updated, resulting in totally new stories and characters. Moreover, projection of modern issues and modern perspectives in the narrative avoid the stereotype of the boring period film.

Dealing with Seobinggo, the traditional freezer of Joseon Dynasty, The Grand Heist successfully appealed to the 21st century’s viewership thanks to the narrative of modern class struggle which eventually punishes the ruling class, and the ‘multi-casting’ of diverse characters. In addition, featuring a controversial historical figure Kwang-hae-gun, Masquerade questioned the virtues of a leader and blended into the real life political agendas of the presidential and parliamentary elections, resulting in big issues outside of the movie house as well. In the meantime, The Concubine appealed to audiences with its unclear narrative background. While the audience accepts the background setting in a period film as a fact, fusion and faction in the drama stretched audience’s imagination even further.
FfuXhGWjagEjapwaByZx.jpg
The period film craze marches on. With The Face Reader, to be released on September 11th, a number of KRW 10 billion budget period films are lined up for the coming seasons. The Face Reader is among the most awaited films in the second half of this year. Its scenario won the grand-prix at the KOEIC scenario awards in 2010. Directed by HAN Jae-rim, seven years since his last film, whose previous works include Rules of Dating (2005) and The Show Must Go On (2007), The Face Reader is a drama set in the 15th century, featuring a genius physiognomist trying to change the destiny of Joseon, his motherland. This film deals with the dramatic ups and downs of this face reading specialist, who found himself in the middle of a historical bouleversement, and his fatherly love, along with diverse personas and their different desires.
 To be sure, the high anticipation towards this film has certainly to do with the casting, presenting a wonderful ensemble of greatly celebrated actors. Nae-gyong, the main character, is played by none other than SONG Kang-ho, known to be the most reliable actor in Korean cinema today, who starred in Memories of Murder (2003), The Host (2006), Secret Reunion (2010) and most recently in Snowpiercer. Also, LEE Jung-jae and KIM Hye-soo from The Thieves (2012), the second most profitable Korean film ever with almost 13 million viewers, now again co-star in The Face Reader, as the ambitious Suyang Daegun aiming at the throne and Yeon-hong the geisha. Furthermore, BAEK Yoon-shik from Tazza: the High Rollers (2006) and The Taste of Money plays the historical figure Kim Jong-seo, adding to the dramatic impact of the film. Two promising rookies, JO Jung-suk (Architecture 101, Almost Che) and LEE Jong-suk (As One, Soar into the Sun) play Nae-gyong’s brother in law ‘Pang-hun’ and Nae-gyong’s son ‘Jin-hyung’, respectively.
rUJDzkjBSWHXjVePUCPd.jpg
The list of promising period films in progress looks endless. It seems as if the big players in Korean cinema are all exclusively working on the period film genre. Showbox Mediaplex Ltd, The Face Reader’s producer and distributor, is planning on two additional period films with The Huntresses and Kundo: Age of the Rampant through this year and the next. The Huntresses, featuring HA Ji-won and KANG Ye-won, aims to be a “character comedy period film.” With director YOON Jong-bin (Nameless Gangster) and star HA Jung-woo collaborating again, Kundo: Age of the Rampant has already become a newsmaker during its pre-production stage, as it is also GANG Dong-won’s (Woochi, 2009; Haunters, 2010) first work since his army dismissal. It takes place in the 10th year of King Chul-jong of Joseon when corruption in the government and abject poverty in the people reached their peaks, featuring a group of thieves who were on the people’s side and struggled to help them get by.
CJ Entertainment, behind The Berlin File and Snowpiercer, is working on Battle Of Myeongryang, featuring CHOI Min-shik, RYU Seung-ryong. It is the fourth film of KIM Han-min (whose filmography includes 2007’s Paradise Murdered and War of Arrows). It is a blockbuster presenting the great battle of Myeongryang with Admiral YI Soon-shin, who defeated Japanese invaders in 1597 with only 13 vessels, which was merely one tenth of his opponents’ fleet.
Lotte Shopping Lotte Entertainment Ltd. of The Terror, LIVE is getting as many as three KRW 10 billion won budget costume dramas ready for 2014. Memories of the Sword has already become a newsmaker by featuring LEE Byung-hun and JEON Do-yeon. It is a martial arts movie presenting the best swordwoman in Goryeo Dynasty, Seol-lang (played by JEON Do-yeon), and Duk-gi (LEE Byung-hun) from the lowest class, who is nonetheless aiming at the throne. It is to be directed by PARK Heung-sik of My Mother, the Mermaid (2004) and Bravo, My Life (2005).
Pirates (working title), which can be easily referenced as a Korean version of Pirates of the Caribbean, features KIM Nam-gil and SON Ye-jin and presents a story of a woman pirate and a bandit, going after a whale which has swallowed the royal seal of Ming. It is the fourth film of LEE Seok-hoon, whose filmography includes Dancing Queen and Two Faces of My Girlfriend (2007). TV mini-series director LEE Jae-kyu, whose TV works include Damo (The Undercover Lady Detective) and The King 2 Hearts, will attempt a screen debut with King’s Wrath, a thriller costume drama taking place around the assassin of King Jeong-jo in Joseon. The film will feature HYUN Bin, JUNG Jae-young and JO Jung-suk.  By TAE Sang-joon

September 4, 2013
Cho Jung Seok chooses Kim Hye Soo as his ideal type STARN News 2013090317100622531_1.jpg

Cho Jung Seok chose Kim Hye Soo as his ideal type.
On September 3rd, actor Cho Jung Seok appeared on SBS Radio Power FM 'Cultwo Show'.
During the show, Cultwo asked Cho Jung Seok how his shootings with Kim Hye Soo were.
Cho Jung Seok smiled and replied, "I think Kim Hye Soo is the best senior that I've ever worked with."
Then, Cultwo said, "She is a very cool woman, and she hugs people who she considers as friends," and Cho Jung Seok agreed.
Cho Jung Seok also said, "Kim Hye Soo is a very sexy woman, and she also is a very cool woman. She is very close to my ideal type."
Netizens left comments, such as "Kim Hye Soo is everyone's ideal type", "I'm a girl, but I still love Kim Hye Soo", "Looks like he is a close friend with Kim Hye Soo now", and "Every guys have crushes on Kim Hye Soo."
/Reporting by Kim Dong-Joo en@starnnews.com

September 5, 2013
Lee Jong-suk’s New Movie to Hit U.S. Next Weekend
by Lee Hye Ji TENASIA
Korean rising actor Lee Jong-suk’s new movie “The Face Reader” will mark the opening of the biggest showcase for Korean movies in Southern U.S.
2013090513464767026-615x398.jpg

Upcoming period-set film “The Face Reader” will have its U.S. premiere as the opening film of the 2nd Atlanta Korean Film Festival (AKFF 2013), which will open its 9-day festivity of Korean cinematography next Friday, the film fest’s official website showed Thursday.
A total of 21 contemporary Korean films to be screened at this year’s AKFF, including Moon Geun-yeong’s mystery horror “A Tale of Two Sisters,” Lee Byung-hun’s crime thriller “I Saw The Devil” and Western adventure “The Good, the Bad, the Weird,” which of all were directed by Korean famed filmmaker Kim Ji-woon.
Director Kim, along with and actress Cho Yeo-jung of erotic period movie “The Servant,” Ryu Seung-ryong of 2013 box office smash “Miracle of Cell No. 7” and Ye Ji-won of comic romance pic “Hahaha” are set to attend the opening ceremony and red carpet event of AKFF 2013 at the Rialto Center for the Arts at GSU, which will be accompanied by a mini-concert led by famous music director Lee Dong-hoon.
The four film professionals will also give special lectures at Georgia Institute of Technology a day ahead, sharing their precious experiences with the university’s Korean and non-Korean students.
Other features to be introduced to film lovers in the Southern U.S. are Ko Soo’s war drama “The Front Line,” Han Hyo-joo’s romance pic “Love 911,” Kim Soo-hyun’s comic action “Secretly Greatly,” 2012 box office hit “The Thieves” and So Ji-sub’s action drama “A Company Man.”
“A Company Man,” co-starring Dongjun of idol group ZE:A, will also be screened at the 9th Atlanta Asian Film Festival on October 24, as the only Korean film out of nine line-ups for this year’s annual film festival.
2013090513463515170-615x795.jpg
The official poster for Atlanta Korean Film Festival 2013. [AKFF]
Reporter. Lee Hye-ji hjlee@tenasia.co.krPhotographer. Paeng Hyun-joon pangpang@tenasia.co.kr

September 5, 2013
2nd Atlanta Korean Film Festival Gears Up21 Films to Reflect Diversity of Korean Film Industry by Pierce Conran KOFIC l AKFF 2013 Official Website l Facebook Atlanta will become the site of a large celebration of Korean film as the second edition of the Atlanta Korean Film Festival is due to take place later this month. 21 titles will be presented at the event, representing the breadth and scope of the Korean film industry. Opening the proceedings will be the upcoming costume drama The Face Reader. Directed by Han Jae-rim and starring Song Kang-ho, Lee Jung-jae, Kim Hye-soo and Baek Yoon-shik, the period film is set to open in Korea on September 12th, just ahead of the Chuseok holiday season. The other 20 films on the program will be broken down into three categories. A special exhibition on the works of Kim Jee-woon will present A Tale of Two Sisters (2003), The Good, the Bad and the Weird (2008), I Saw the Devil (2010) and this year’s The Last Stand, his debut Hollywood feature. Special invitation films will include the independent films Eden, Innocent Blood, Maria, The Korean Bride and Hong Sangsoo’s HaHaHa (2010) as well as the commercial war film The Front Line (2010) and the period drama The Servant (2010). The rest of the program will be made up of a selection of recent Korean films. The lineup includes A Company Man, All About My Wife, Love 911, Miracle in Cell No. 7, New World, Pieta, Secretly Greatly, The Grant Heist, The Thieves and The Weight. The second annual Atlanta Korean Film Festival, which will take place in the cities of Atlanta, Duluth, Suwanee and Lagrange, will unspool from September 20th to 28th.
akff2013_thieves.jpg
akff2013_face.jpg