PSY: "'Gentleman' Was Not a Suitable Song for Me"

Newsie

Singer PSY recently confessed that he did not feel comfortable promoting his song "Gentleman."

The world star held one of his year-end concerts titled "2013 All Night Stand" on December 22, and impressing 12,000 fans came to enjoy the star's energetic live show. During a break between the songs, PSY reflected on his recent global breakthrough, "'Gangnam Style' is a song that was definitely not directed at the international audience, but still I found myself asking 'Really?' every day as unbelievable things kept happening. It felt like a hidden camera. I wondered why this happened to me and released 'Gentleman.'"

After taking over the world with his hit "Gangnam Style," PSY unveiled the follow-up song "Gentleman" in April this year. However, neither the fans nor the industry experts gave the song thumbs up, and the song did not become a popular hit. The singer confessed, "'Gentleman' was not a suitable song for me. 'Gangnam Style' was not specifically directed at anyone, but when I was producing 'Gentleman,' I continuously thought about the foreign audience and if they could pronounce the lyrics. It was not writing lyrics, but more like practicing linguistics. I was very stressed because of it, so for my upcoming song, I went back to the beginning and stayed true to my gangster attitude. Now that I have changed my way of thinking, working feels much better." He received a loud applause from the crowd, who felt touched by his courage to open up about the hectic year.

PSY will be releasing his new song in the beginning of 2014.

View the full article

Archived