[Current Drama 2015] The Great Wives 위대한 조강지처

valsava

Guest tookie18

@ggryThank you for all of your hard work with the recaps. In addition, thanks for the information on the Memorial Rites. It would have been nice to have it during the show to keep up with the events timeframe. Most of the viewers know that information, but it was kind of hard not knowing how long The Pumpkin stayed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ggry Thanks to you, we made it to the end of this disastrous drama. Your hard work is appreciated.

There's something I don't quite understand...did YJY push DHM for 3 years?! It's ridiculous that she punished him when he didn't deserve it smh.

The pumpkin(the witch completely abandoned her own child!) scene at the end was unnecessary and i think scumbag would have been a much better choice even though she hasn't been around for a while. I loved watching her being chased and beaten up by Hercules and OJM.....LOL!

@irilight 

Trust me...this drama is not the worst. I think the award should go to Save the Family.

1 hour ago, tinatrix236 said:

@ggry Thanks to you, we made it to the end of this disastrous drama. Your hard work is appreciated.

There's something I don't quite understand...did YJY push DHM for 3 years?! It's ridiculous that she punished him when he didn't deserve it smh.

The pumpkin(the witch completely abandoned her own child!) scene at the end was unnecessary and i think scumbag would have been a much better choice even though she hasn't been around for a while. I loved watching her being chased and beaten up by Hercules and OJM.....LOL!

@irilight 

Trust me...this drama is not the worst. I think the award should go to Save the Family.

@tinatrix236

Well I got the happy ending that I suffered through 30+ eps of nonsense for, so I'm happy. :)
Though, the SW is on my blacklist for the next 5 years and I'm avoiding dailies for at least 3 years.

It's now pretty clear why the SW had HGC relegated to a zombie from the pumpkin eps onwards.
Other than filling up the eps, it was to set up Hercules to save him and live up to the 'GW' title of this drama.
Unfortunately, the rubbish SW did it in the most cack-handed way possible.

DHM-YJY -- it takes 2 to tango. While DHM was the one who opted to leave for a while, YJY chose to let him go.
When DHM said "for some time", I thought it's a few months to at most a year, I wasn't expecting it to run to 3 years!

For a moment, I thought it might be the scumBang. I most certainly don't care to see that horrid pumpkin ever again.
In any case, the ajussi was calling her by yet another fake name --  Eun Seong. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

On another note, I would have liked Hercules to keep her straight hair rather than revert back to that old bird's nest on top of her head.
She looks so much better with her hair straight.

Extra info, OJM's twins are girls. I think No.3 might be a boy.

8 hours ago, ggry said:

Though, the SW is on my blacklist for the next 5 years and I'm avoiding dailies for at least 3 years.

:lol:

A bit off topic but when Two mothers aired on KBS World i watched some bits because i was curious but it was twisted.

The actor who plays Mama boy was also in the drama and he played a coward.  At least that's the impression i got.

It seems everyone had enough of the drama because the ratings for the last episode increased a bit but it wasn't 16%.

I was going to post the ratings earlier in the day but this stupid site ate my post! :angry:

Anyway, here're the ratings for the final ep E121, with the lowest and highest ratings for the entire series in the square brackets behind.

TNmS (nationwide) = 11.0% [6.9%, 16.2%]
TNmS (Seoul) = 0.5% [7.2%, 15.5%]

AGB (nationwide) = 12.4% [7.2%, 16.1%]
AGB (Seoul) = 13.2% [7.3%, 16.7%]

@tinatrix236:  If there was an award for the worst drama, the line of contenders would be too long and contentious!  

Again, my major problem with these dramas is that they usually start well, have interesting characters, and a plot line that should be compelling.  But around episode 50, or the middle, they fizzle, waddle, and wander through netherlands of natter and blather.  Whether they are 150 episode epics, or a 16 -  20 episode series, they tank more often than soar:  Marry Me Marry is one of my favorite tanks.  That series had everything going for it in terms of cast and plot.  It needed a writer.  Or two. Faith is another example of potentiona greatness gone nowhere!  That series was about 80% great, but between the plot holes and the 20% that dragged and sagged, it left a sour, rather than sweet, aftertaste.  I will say it again, we are closet drama writers.    

I am looking forward to "seeing" all of you on another thread.  It is a sure bet I am going to need the support.

Guest tookie18
9 hours ago, watchumlots said:

@tinatrix236:  If there was an award for the worst drama, the line of contenders would be too long and contentious!  

Again, my major problem with these dramas is that they usually start well, have interesting characters, and a plot line that should be compelling.  But around episode 50, or the middle, they fizzle, waddle, and wander through netherlands of natter and blather.  Whether they are 150 episode epics, or a 16 -  20 episode series, they tank more often than soar:  Marry Me Marry is one of my favorite tanks.  That series had everything going for it in terms of cast and plot.  It needed a writer.  Or two. Faith is another example of potentiona greatness gone nowhere!  That series was about 80% great, but between the plot holes and the 20% that dragged and sagged, it left a sour, rather than sweet, aftertaste.  I will say it again, we are closet drama writers.    

I am looking forward to "seeing" all of you on another thread.  It is a sure bet I am going to need the support.

@watchumlots I agree, most of these K Dramas start out great, but all of a sudden something terrible happens. One of the mistakes that the writers make is bringing in unnecessary characters toward the middle and/or end of the show. For instance, after Scumbag ran away with HGC's money, the Pumpkin is brought in along with the two old guys for Mamma's Boy's Mamma's love interests. These characters were just excess baggage. The Attorney Lady and the Vixen should have been axed a long time ago also, they got way too much screen time. The strange situation between the YJY, DMH, Professor and Vixen rectangle was over the top.

After all of the weird and strange twists and turns, us desperate viewers continue to torture ourselves and talk mucho trash about our favorite shows. As @valsava mentioned, "We must all be on crack, nuts or something unknown to us". I truly love my Korean Dramas and when they go south or wherever they go I cannot give them up. Therefore, I will support you even if I am just lurking reading the recaps.

@ggry Thank you for carrying us through this drama. Your recaps, insights and all add'l info. was fantastic    12187771_1171311406230334_72447269119206

On 12/5/2015 at 2:32 PM, tinatrix236 said:

@irilight 

@tinatrix236 hehe.. I started watching Save the Family because of Jae Hee. But very soon, I decided I did not like the drama, or any character aside from his, and dropped it.

On 12/6/2015 at 4:26 PM, ggry said:

Well I got the happy ending that I suffered through 30+ eps of nonsense for, so I'm happy. :)
Though, the SW is on my blacklist for the next 5 years and I'm avoiding dailies for at least 3 years

@ggry, I hope Lee Jong-Won echos these sentiments too!  I want to see him in a far better drama than this was.
I also agree with you about Hercules hair style.  I hope after the birth she goes back to her health regiment.

YJY certainly did not deserve DHM, (hard to believe this man held a torch for this woman so many years)  but little Ha-Na deserved her dad.

Thank you for the ratings info too.

@ezacessline90, hehe. I stayed away from Cuckoos Nest, but I did watch Ruby's Ring on KBSW all the way to the bitter end - again, because I liked some of the leads.  (I still think they did a terrific job, esp. the leading ladies in their double roles: Lee Se-Yeon and Lim Jeong-Eun. )
@watchumlots, I agree with you. That is why I seldom survive watching dailies to the end.
By the way, the "helmet hairstyle" must be the "in" now in Korea. Here is another actress who just presented this hairstyle - Kim Hye -Soo in upcoming drama "Signal"

Photo published for 최초 공개! tvN <시그널> 역대급 대본 리딩 현장!

Thank you again to @valsava, who started the thread, and to everyone else, @tinatrix236, @watchumlots, @tookie18, @ezacessline90, @yvonneyoung, @Mico Ricco, @Triton823, @NewKDramaAddict, @orangeluv, for your participation and POV which made this journey a lot more fun!

@ggry, I hope that next time we meet on a thread here, it will be for a drama that has the quality of "Firstborn" or "Tears of Heaven" - or better.

Some photos I am seeing below

Spoiler

Photo published for ‘위대한 조강지처’ 황우슬혜, “연기하는 순간이 가장 행복하다” - #황우슬혜(Hwang Woo Seul Hye)

Spoiler

Photo published for ‘위대한 조강지처’ 최원명, 훈훈한 미소로 여심(女心) 저격… ‘해피 바이러스’ - #위대한 조강지처

Spoiler

Photo published for ‘위대한 조강지처’ 최원명, ‘첫 데뷔작’ 종영 소감 밝혀…‘너무 값진 경험’ - #위대한 조강지처

Spoiler

‘위대한 조강지처’ 김지영 / 얼반웍스 ENT

After watching the final episode that aired earlier this week, I was very disappointed that there was no ending scene with YJY and HDM especially since almost every other character had an ending scene.  I know its implied that they will work things out with the text message that HDM sends her, but YJY's story arc was one of the main reasons I was interested in the show and continued watching and I feel robbed!  And how is she on good terms now with OEY?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we've decided...never to watch this writer again! I could excuse just about everything else but Helmet Hair letting Cutie X go?!! For Sleaze Prof?! Give me a break!! We suffered through the last few episodes for the worse excuse of "all is forgiven" ever!! She is officially banned! She gave us a decent 60 episodes and then lost her freaking mind! We are through!!! I've officially 'quit you', writer-Hwang!

On 1/7/2016 at 4:29 PM, NewKDramaAddict said:

Well, we've decided...never to watch this writer again! I could excuse just about everything else but Helmet Hair letting Cutie X go?!! For Sleaze Prof?! Give me a break!! We suffered through the last few episodes for the worse excuse of "all is forgiven" ever!! She is officially banned! She gave us a decent 60 episodes and then lost her freaking mind! We are through!!! I've officially 'quit you', writer-Hwang!

I agree, if she wanted to redeem Sleazy Prof's character then thats okay, but save Helmet Hair's life at the cost of his own so she falls in guilty love for him again?  Too much.  

Archived