Nam Joo Hyuk 남주혁

melleri

Yes! Aside from Soop, he's surrounded by good seniors like Jo In Sung and Han Ji Min. He also spent a lot of time working with the veterans like Kim Hye-ja and Lee Sung Min. NJH seems to be the type who loves to work around seniors and learn from them. I feel that he's happier and unbothered now because of all the advice and wisdom shared by these amazing people. :love:

What I love about being a fan of NJH today is that I get to see how much he has grown and achieved. Coming from his experience in School 2015, look where he is now- one of the most followed k-actors on IG, ambassador of different brands including Dior, casting offers from critically acclaimed writers and being paired with topnotch actresses. Oh what more can he achieve 5 years from now?  Truly, you can not bring a good man down. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I’ve been following Ji Soo’s bully scandal in the last few days. I hope this doesn’t affect JH. Antifans are only too ready to drag anyone anything they deem “relevant”. On a personal note, this is (was?) still his best friend...Praying for him...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inBinJinitrust said:

I’ve been following Ji Zoo’s bully scandal in the last few days. I hope this doesn’t affect JH. Antifans are only too ready to drag anyone anything they deem “relevant”. On a personal note, this is (was?) still his best friend...Praying for him...

Nervous! I hope this doesn't affect him too. 

• Like 1

I’m happy we at least got a short CF. Missing him so much :cries:

And it truly is insane how some people have been trying to drag joo hyuk’s name the past few days by association - seriously, sometimes these people’s actions make me question why and how people can be so deeply unkind and immature and wishing ill on others. Seriously no words for these type of  judgmental people who are keyboard warriors. It’s no wonder the cyberspace can be such a horrifying place. (Or actually it’s the people, not the space). 

I genuinely hope NJH is mentally and emotionally okay, it must hurt to be in his situation right now. People often forget that the family and friends end up suffering too from the hate that the public casts on any perpetrator. 

Just hope NJH has people he can lean in and trust. I’m sure he will, any life event will change a person, and I’m confident he will emerge from this a stronger person!! 

On another note, I think his movie Remember will be out soon - hoping there will be promos and then an international platform release! 

And even though the project Here seems to be so quiet, I’m also hoping they are working things out behind the scenes, so far it seems that the other main actors have not committed to any new projects yet. Makes me hopeful that they are waiting to make this happen soon. 

• Like 2

I wonder what is the PR protocol for cases such as these. What will PR advise Joo Hyuk to do? Should public opinion matter in regards to his posts, or should it not be? These are the questions that run through my mind. 

It is a nightmare. I hope Joo Hyuk is managing well. 

• Like 1

Nam Joo Hyuk poured his heart out in this interview. He opened about his childhood experiences and his goal to live a simple life. Just when I thought I couldn't fall any harder with this man, I was wrong. :tears:  He's just so genuine and inspiring. 

LINK to his GQ Interview:
http://www.gqkorea.co.kr/2018/07/23/남주혁-지지-않고-살고-싶어요/
I used papago app to translate some parts. (thanks @The Reel Life)

Was it difficult to express your feelings in the first place? Yes. I used to hide myself.  I  thought shouldn't show my life to others.

Doesn't showing my life mean I don't want to reveal my weaknesses? When I was young, I had so many tears. I cried a lot when I did anything even for nothing. Being teased for crying. But my pride hurts. I don't want to cry, but tears are coming, so I wanted to hide it.

(I also saw a video where he said he's tough on the outside but really soft inside since he easily cries. Maybe that explains why he's so good with dramatic scenes and excels in melodrama)

You look like a romanticist. I heard you had a crush for three years in your 3rd grade of elementary school and in middle school, you went to the campus where there are many four-leaf clover and picked it for your  girlfriend. Were you precocious about love? Living only with my father, I think I missed the warm feelings. Maybe that's why that kind of heart came quickly.

When you went to your hometown , Busan , in "Bromance" , you said that "I lived in that villa" while pointing to the top of the mountain. How were those days? There was no bathroom in the house,  and door was open and closed. I lived with my dad from 7 years old to 2nd grade in elementary school , but when I think about it, what did I do... I've always been alone. There's no one at home, so I went out and had a BB gun fight with my friends. After that I moved to Yeongdo Island. 

Have you been away from your mother all the time? Even though I wanted to see my mom, there was no way I could find her contact information. Then one day, a neighborhood friend told me that someone came  to see me downstairs. I wondered if it was my mother, and I thought about what  her face looked like. Is hair hair short or chubby... I was so nervous when I  went down, and it was my aunt who came to see me. Still, thanks to my aunt, I was able to meet my mother. At that time, I received my mom's contact information, and since I don't have a cell phone, I exchanged letters by e-mail. I lived with my mother in Suwon from the 3rd grade of middle school. That's when I decided. I should really be good to you.

I think I know why Junhyung of <Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bokju> cried so much in the scene of meeting his mother. I didn't see the face of Yun Yu-sun, who played the mother role before filming. I feel like tears will come when I see it. Tears stop from the moment I see you at the rehearsal... I should have taken it then, haha.

(:tears:Knowing his story , this scene will hit differently when I rewatch WFKBJ.)

At the end of my trip to Busan, you saw high-rise apartment in Haeundae and said that your dream was to have a house like that. If you think about it now, doesn't the dream feel simple?  Never! It's still impossible now. When I lived in Busan, my dream was to live in a house where you can see Gwangan Bridge. Unlike Jwacheon-dong and Yeongdo, Haeundae is gorgeous and has many buildings... But I don't want to live like that anymore. It can be a small house.

Have the standards for happiness changed? It happened as I grew up. When I was young, I promised, 'I'll be well when I grow up, and I'll live good life no matter what'. But now I just need to feel at ease. I just need enough money to make ends meet.

Last year, I donated scholarships to my alma mater for juniors in need. I thought about it when I was younger and I wanted to do that. I also received support from the school, so now I have to do it too. I also wanted to model, but I couldn't go to academy, and I was lucky to get a scholarship. That's the time to dream. I hope it doesn't break for other reasons.

(He's been supporting youth who struggle to achieve their dream because he sees himself in them.  He did not forget the people who helped him so he pays forward. His motivation for working hard is to help other people. That's why he is so blessed.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@The Reel Life yes keyboard warriors that is all they amount to be. Lots of them appear to be still the new bunch of anti Do San :sweatingbullets: but there are also long time antis from even the School 2015/ Habaek days 

I must admit I got quite worried about JH. I know they are very close but I don’t know whether he knew about his bestie’s past, and to what extent. Maybe that guy had matured up and changed by the time they got to know each other in Moon Lovers. Maybe he hadn’t changed but man to man, he treats JH nicely and is a good friend to him...very hard to judge personally. I can only wish JH peace and love :(

@kawaiinoona Soop issued this statement in early March. They have been taking legal actions and will continue to do so to avoid any further slander of SOOP artists. I really applaud this agency, not only do they have very well defined strategies to develop their artists, they also are very firm in protecting them! Hopefully JH is in good hand here!

37-C40-A22-81-B0-4110-9287-75-A65-D6105-

@Sunny Lin ahhh thanks for reposting this article here, I remember this one. Such a good interview. In the recent years JH has stopped sharing so candidly personally, perhaps in the future too...he used to describe himself as meek but honestly, this soft side of him makes me love him more than if he were an alpha male :heart:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:17 PM, Sunny Lin said:

Nam Joo Hyuk poured his heart out in this interview. He opened about his childhood experiences and his goal to live a simple life. Just when I thought I couldn't fall any harder with this man, I was wrong. :tears:  He's just so genuine and inspiring. 

LINK to his GQ Interview:

Thank you @Sunny Lin for sharing this wonderful interview. I had no idea about this part of his life at all!!! :dissapointed_relieved: 

does anyone know if his parents separated, that’s why he was staying with his dad only in his early years? And I didn’t know his journey to meet and see his mum again was so dramatic and so heartbreaking! Now the part where he once mentioned he would read her email to him whenever he is down and demotivated, makes sense. I always wondered like wow, his mum emailed him instead of speak to him? That was so interesting. Also, I understand that he now lives (or at least sees her) with his mum already? Because recent interviews he would mention her going to his house or his family watching his shows. I take it that they are finally reunited? Would appreciate if someone could shed some light! 

and I really wish someone on Twitter picked this piece of interview up and share this with as many people as possible on Twitter! People in general just need to know how precious and precocious this boy is. So humble to the core. He doesn’t seem like someone who is high maintenance at all, in fact someone who is happy with living a simple life despite his current successes. 

more and more respect for NJH. :ilike:

• Like 2

JH’s pre debut life is very secretive. To date, that interview is still the only one I know where he opened up a little about his parents. He lived with his dad in earlier days in Busan, before moving to Suwon in middle school where his mother was. He is their only child and both his parents have been supportive of his career choice. He maintained a close relationship with his dad while living with his mum. In Back to School, baby JH was still calling his dad asking him to top up the bank account as he had overspent “with the hyungs”:sweatingbullets: 

As for his mum, we all know how much love and gratitude he always expresses towards her.

Actually he once acknowledged that his teenage years must have been difficult for his mum. During that tough period he realised he couldn’t continue to pursue basketball after all the injuries and operations. Meanwhile he couldn’t really return to studying and excelling academically either. He was lost thinking about his future and got into many arguments with his mum, which partly also led to a lot of email communication (less heated hence easier) during this time too. Thankfully he found himself another pathway in modelling. His family couldn’t exactly afford to help him with the model academy tuition. However, he ended up winning the full scholarship by YG Kplus. As always, his fierce competitiveness and determination paid off! Nonetheless, he was repeatedly very apologetic towards his mum whenever he talked about this phase, as (in his words) “it must have been very difficult for her to raise me”. 

He once shared in a fan meeting a short encouraging video his mum had sent to him. Unfortunately the fan account is now closed but if I come across that video again I’ll be happily sharing it with you guys. In the video she was smiling and telling him how thankful she is always that he is her son, and that she is so proud of him and wish him strength to conquer whatever hardship may come his way in the future :heart:

I do think him being soft and affectionate is by nature/ inborn. However, perhaps growing up in a split household did instil in him a strong desire to bond and to be loyal. He said he wanted to be married by 31, that would mean immediately after being discharged from the military service. I wonder if he has had a change of plan here :wub: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's somehow implied in the article but still uncertain. In an episode of  "Off to School", he called his dad to send him money because he had spent too much for his classmates. In another episode, he was asked about who prepared his uniform, and he proudly answered, "My mom ironed it for me."  If had not read this article, I would have assumed they are still together. Currently, he's living alone and his mom regularly visits him.

18 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

So humble to the core. He doesn’t seem like someone who is high maintenance at all, in fact someone who is happy with living a simple life despite his current successes. 

I agree with you! Despite his success, he believes it's impossible for him to buy his "dream" house. Probably not because he won't earn for it, but because he just want to live a simple life and would rather help people. I used to be surprised every time I see him together with the biggest stars on articles about donating for a good cause. Compared to them, he's young and relatively new in the industry but he donates as often and sometimes as much as them.

https://m.blog.naver.com/saram70/222257422255

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/news-trends/article/3064798/coronavirus-korea-daegu-born-stars-suga-bts-son-ye-jin

https://www.soompi.com/article/1315407wpp/celebrities-make-donations-to-help-victims-of-gangwon-province-wildfire

Yes, @inBinJinitrust. There are many alpha male in the industry but he remains true to himself. His soft side definitely stands out among the actors in his generation. 

I hope many people will know this side of him. I am a proud fan!

• Like 2

It has been a minute since I have been here. @inBinJinitrust that Soop notice comforts me on some level. Thanks! I am glad companies and mags are still featuring him. They still have trust in him and they disassociated him from the whole brouhaha. I must admit, while some family issues have been keeping me away, the scandal and the released statements have been difficult to read. My sensitive body may have appreciated the time out from the news too. 

And the Esquire/Dior photoshoot! He looks so cool and stunning! I think jet black hair makes him look more striking. Ugh so gorgeous. My favourite is him on the chair with the beret. :heart1:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMUI9vUFrq6/?igshid=16ndsvnm5f62f

@Sunny LinThe interview made him more endearing to me and made me more curious of who JH is. I am whipped. Just like how his fluffy hair is whipped by the wind on the fishing boat in Unexpected Business. I love his hair now that it's all fluffy and shaggy and long. It suits his puffed cheeks. Hee. 

I have concluded that one of the biggest reasons why I like Joo hyuk's facial features so much is that he has the sweetest smile and eyes. Add on his soft gentleness and sensitivity, I don't think I will be bored anytime soon. Who wouldn't want to catch him smiling from time to time. If I were his Co star, I may be the type trying to coax a smile and laugh out of him for my own selfish joys off camera.

Aww can't wait to see him in Unexpected Business. Kinda miss him. 

Edited by kawaiinoona
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 3/15/2021 at 9:56 AM, kawaiinoona said:

I have concluded that one of the biggest reasons why I like Joo hyuk's facial features so much is that he has the sweetest smile and eyes. Add on his soft gentleness and sensitivity, I don't think I will be bored anytime soon

Thanks for pointing this out. He really has this look and traits that makes his acting feel more genuine. 
I don't think I can handle it either if I were his co-star. I mean look at that smile, face and body behind the  scenes!! :tears:

EwraKSgU8AMTmFj?format=jpg&name=large

• Love 1

He looks like a king in that Dior x Esquire shoot! Aside from Esquire, I saw this was featured in different magazines across Asia. Talk about the unwavering trust Dior gives to this man! They can literally make him wear anything and he'd still look good.  I also like to commend his styling team especially his hair stylist for a job well done! 

EwRrPdJU8AAIlQq?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1