Guest ororomunroe

I am so excited that this is an action filled medical drama!!! c:

@allkpoop,  So am I, TBH if I watch another drama that is related to food an a chef or a kitchen I think I'll scream.. So I could use a good medical drama right about now and Young Pal seems to be it    

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest allkpoop

@allkpoop,  So am I, TBH if I watch another drama that is related to food an a chef or a kitchen I think I'll scream.. So I could use a good medical drama right about now and Young Pal seems to be it    

Yeah!! I'm also glad this isn't a generic medical drama. Really, it feels more like a crime genre which I absolutely love. I'm hoping there will be great twists in each setting. I have a feeling this will be something that will have me on the edge of my seat c: Really looking forward to this!!

Yeah!! I'm also glad this isn't a generic medical drama. Really, it feels more like a crime genre which I absolutely love. I'm hoping there will be great twists in each setting. I have a feeling this will be something that will have me on the edge of my seat c: Really looking forward to this!!

This drama has plenty of possibilities. I hope it will get a good mix and balance of melo drama and thriller. Melo as in addressing societal ills, the "unglam" life of the rich and glamorous by giving us cases we don't usually see in medical dramas. The thriller part comes from the main story plus fact that Yong Pal is hounded by so many parties - his loanshark, gangsters(ambiguous relationship?), police investigator, Chief of Dept, Chief Surgeon and the Han siblings, albeit in different ways.

Unless they are not filming in sequence, my guess on the BTS pics of police cars, car chase and explosion is that the drama's first case will be linked to the underworld. I don't think at this stage, there needs to be such a full force hunting for Yong Pal. It will most likely more solo like the police investigator plus maybe a sidekick. The grand chase is probably after some gang lord who will be Yong Pal's first client.  

Either I am very picky when it comes to thrillers or kdrama thrillers aren't doing it for me. Bad Guys, Missing Noir, Hidden Identity, were dramas which I dropped. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to watch one darn good one real bad and I tried to pick them up again. Still I couldn't. The ones I really liked was The Chaser, I Hear Your Voice(not exactly crime) and God's Gift. The latter which was what drew me to this drama. Like these dramas, I hope Yong Pal will have me at the edge of my seat, screaming for more. It will be an agony waiting for next episode but such excitement. My latest crack is My Beautiful Bride, I found myself wishing the writer of Yong Pal can be as brilliant as this writer. So far, the writing, directing and acting are nothing short of awesome. I know Yong Pal's format may be more like those dramas I dropped, meaning that it will be a couple of episodes dedicated to one case and possibly linked or have a main story overarching. The other 3 I mentioned focused more on just the main story with each episode developing it plus the twists and turns. Well, no drama needs to be formulaic as long as the story is coherent, smarter than the viewers and pulls us in. 

These days, I have grown more intolerant of lacklustre acting. I kinda expect all actors to be good, which is unrealistic. I am more forgiving when it comes to plot holes. less than perfect directing but not so when it comes to acting. For @valsava, it is the drama genre, for me If I have to watch another actor strutting around looking like a cool dude or looking pretty, I will scream. Joo Won has a big burden to make this character his. A jerk with a heart of gold is a dime a dozen in kdramaland. 

This drama has plenty of possibilities. I hope it will get a good mix and balance of melo drama and thriller. Melo as in addressing societal ills, the "unglam" life of the rich and glamorous by giving us cases we don't usually see in medical dramas. The thriller part comes from the main story plus fact that Yong Pal is hounded by so many parties - his loanshark, gangsters(ambiguous relationship?), police investigator, Chief of Dept, Chief Surgeon and the Han siblings, albeit in different ways.

Unless they are not filming in sequence, my guess on the BTS pics of police cars, car chase and explosion is that the drama's first case will be linked to the underworld. I don't think at this stage, there needs to be such a full force hunting for Yong Pal. It will most likely more solo like the police investigator plus maybe a sidekick. The grand chase is probably after some gang lord who will be Yong Pal's first client.  

Either I am very picky when it comes to thrillers or kdrama thrillers aren't doing it for me. Bad Guys, Missing Noir, Hidden Identity, were dramas which I dropped. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to watch one darn good one real bad and I tried to pick them up again. Still I couldn't. The ones I really liked was The Chaser, I Hear Your Voice(not exactly crime) and God's Gift. The latter which was what drew me to this drama. Like these dramas, I hope Yong Pal will have me at the edge of my seat, screaming for more. It will be an agony waiting for next episode but such excitement. My latest crack is My Beautiful Bride, I found myself wishing the writer of Yong Pal can be as brilliant as this writer. So far, the writing, directing and acting are nothing short of awesome. I know Yong Pal's format may be more like those dramas I dropped, meaning that it will be a couple of episodes dedicated to one case and possibly linked or have a main story overarching. The other 3 I mentioned focused more on just the main story with each episode developing it plus the twists and turns. Well, no drama needs to be formulaic as long as the story is coherent, smarter than the viewers and pulls us in. 

These days, I have grown more intolerant of lacklustre acting. I kinda expect all actors to be good, which is unrealistic. I am more forgiving when it comes to plot holes. less than perfect directing but not so when it comes to acting. For @valsava, it is the drama genre, for me If I have to watch another actor strutting around looking like a cool dude or looking pretty, I will scream. Joo Won has a big burden to make this character his. A jerk with a heart of gold is a dime a dozen in kdramaland. 

A much as I love melo,I am worried that the writer can handle both melo and thrillers.Kdramas thrillers can be awesome but need a powerful writing.Does this writer have? We will see.

Then for melo/love stories,Chinese dramas spoiled me(How many time I cried) .I start to find that Kdramas melo are not up to standard and sometimes can be absurd.Many lack chemistry,especially if that drama is mixed genre.  I blame it to lack of time and OVERLY looking out for ratings. I hope they can just do their jobs and not influence by ratings.(but then we all know richard simmons are happening behind the scene no matter what.:( )For this drama,I don't know what to expect. Especially the melo part that they describe. 

Same with you @ mrdimplesI really really hate lacklustre acting.With great acting,plot holes are somehow covered up.(But that doesn't mean they should try it here :crazy:)  Good actors able to make you forget the crazy world that is happening and root for them no matter what.I am kind of glad that we have great assembly of real actors.I hope they will live up to their names.

That being said,who is going to be Yong Pal's sister? Isn't she significant? We still don't know right? Please don't let her be just a pretty girl lying on hospital bed with deadpan face,calling oppa oppa only. I will scream and bring her to barbecue place instead.I want some interactions and bonds between them.Can we have that?

I believe Jo Hyun Jae fans will remember that his role in Forbidden Love had one sister with liver failure. *SPOILERS* He lost the liver to bad guys and she could not have transplant.He watched his sister died in his hand and that was the greatest acting ever by Jo Hyun Jae and also the supporting actress.They ripped my heart out.Can we have that kind of scene in Yong Pal too?Between Yong Pal and his sister?

I want: Fantastic chemistry between leads,KTH's vengeful acts, villainous scary JHJ, Badass interactions between our two main male leads,JW and JHJ glares,Joo Won's crying scene AND JO HYUN JAE's crying scene.Really both actors can kill many females with their tears.

Not too much right?

A much as I love melo,I am worried that the writer can handle both melo and thrillers.Kdramas thrillers can be awesome but need a powerful writing.Does this writer have? We will see.

Then for melo/love stories,Chinese dramas spoiled me(How many time I cried) .I start to find that Kdramas melo are not up to standard and sometimes can be absurd.Many lack chemistry,especially if that drama is mixed genre.  I blame it to lack of time and OVERLY looking out for ratings. I hope they can just do their jobs and not influence by ratings.(but then we all know richard simmons are happening behind the scene no matter what.:( )For this drama,I don't know what to expect. Especially the melo part that they describe. 

Same with you @ mrdimplesI really really hate lacklustre acting.With great acting,plot holes are somehow covered up.(But that doesn't mean they should try it here :crazy:)  Good actors able to make you forget the crazy world that is happening and root for them no matter what.I am kind of glad that we have great assembly of real actors.I hope they will live up to their names.

That being said,who is going to be Yong Pal's sister? Isn't she significant? We still don't know right? Please don't let her be just a pretty girl lying on hospital bed with deadpan face,calling oppa oppa only. I will scream and bring her to barbecue place instead.I want some interactions and bonds between them.Can we have that?

I believe Jo Hyun Jae fans will remember that his role in Forbidden Love had one sister with liver failure. *SPOILERS* He lost the liver to bad guys and she could not have transplant.He watched his sister died in his hand and that was the greatest acting ever by Jo Hyun Jae and also the supporting actress.They ripped my heart out.Can we have that kind of scene in Yong Pal too?Between Yong Pal and his sister?

I want: Fantastic chemistry between leads,KTH's vengeful acts, villainous scary JHJ, Badass interactions between our two main male leads,JW and JHJ glares,Joo Won's crying scene AND JO HYUN JAE's crying scene.Really both actors can kill many females with their tears.

Not too much right?

I have been using the word melo rather loosely because I have checked out some dramas which are described as a certain genre but turned out not to be. Melo tends to be overly used in kdramas. 

So far from the synopsis and information gleaned, I don't think this drama will be terribly melodramatic. There might be melo moments and like you said, the writer better get it right. Done well, it will pull in the viewers emotionally. I am a sucker for such melos. I have only seen how the writer writes thriller judging from Reset. That drama was not melo in any way. So I do not know what to expect here. 

The Chinese have perfected the art of melo for decades. Actually, I sometimes find Taiwanese romantic stories better than the Korean ones. There's something too formulaic or cliche in Korean rom coms. There are of course lots of hopeless idol dramas from Taiwan but occasionally you get a gem and a breathe of difference. Can't comment on China or HK because I don't watch those. 

I have become very picky with acting which is the reason why most of my favorite actors are past 30. There's many popular actors in their 20s whom I just don't get. Joo Won is in the minority. When you have thrillers where a lead has to be handy with his fists(although I think it's unnecessary in YongPal), you need a mature actor or one who is convincingly mature. My latest find is Kim Moo Yeol. This man makes all the recent actors I have seen in gangster noir shows look like kindergarten kids. YongPal will not need Joo Won to be badass in fighting although we all know he is more than capable in such scenes. Still, I expect Kim Tae Hyun to be more manly than boy like. The BTS and Joo Won's IG pics worry me a bit cuz the hairstyle he is wearing looks a little too young and fashionable for a doctor who is busy making hospital rounds and moonlighting in his spare hours. 

About Jo Hyun Jae's scene in of Forbidden Love, can you tell me the episode? I would like to watch it. I love actors who do excellent crying scenes. A man's tears can be so gut wrenching. Joo Won is nothing short of daebak in this area so I want to check out JHJ too. 

@mrdimples 

I dislike JW hair too.I was expecting the one during the script reading. He looks like Park Shi On's twin.:mellow:

I like older actors/artists too.All 30 plus or nearing 40, which make me kinda left out when my friends talk about kpop or popular dramas with young actors.So I familiarize them without actually following their activities. 

Episode 14. His sister died...

I have not been posting JW's IG that is drama related because well......his IGs are kind of "funny". I don't know about other actors but he doesn't take the usual selfies and usual shots. At best, think of them as reflective or cryptic? 

web_661978171_67e6748e_Screenshot_2015-0

and the latest...

2949960022_fc6ea444_Screenshot_2015-07-0

(the guy on his left is his manager) 

JW: "My night is more beautiful than your day."

yeah yeah.......

Dark is all I can say :D 

btw is his dress code all Black? makes sense esp if his work takes place mostly in the night

Cr: amin_humanoid

Filming today.At this point of time,I think the name should be Pali team.full force with speed!

Sigh..I am bored.I am thirsting for period dramas badly.So I am rewatching Jo Hyun Jae's King's Daughter .:DHe makes me go crazy all over again. I am such a sucker for period drama... Please go and watch if you have time.That drama was amazing.Both the story and acting.

Alas, a bts picture of KTH and team members for Yongpalyi, on fashion and poster concept planning, it seems, from the Google translation. 

Credit : http://www.pikore.com/m/1024201339523166041_2128044218

11373518_1648369688742106_1426005187_n.j

Google translated message : 

Yongpalyi # # # movie star grams of clothes star Kim Tae-hee # # # fashion people studio photo shoot # # # matpal seonpal photos # drama # # shoot the new Star sbs drama yongpalyi (working title), the main performer posters chwalyoungcha yongpalyi step meeting concept ~~

Yeah, it really could still go a lot of ways.  They could go really melo, with that setup, but I also think it's more likely to be a mixture of genres.

I have also watched or thought about watching that same string of dramas you listed/dropped (Bad Guys, Missing Noir M, Hidden Identity).  I was excited for the latter before it started, but now I can't seem to muster up the energy to actually watch it.  I think skimming the recap and comments of the first couple of eps might have turned me off it a bit.  Of the other two, I would still give the edge to Bad Guys, but they're both good in some ways, not so good in others.  It's always interesting that shows can be lumped together in the same general genre like those two would be (and Yong-pal, even, but maybe one genre layer out), but the feel and execution are totally different.  Bad Guys was way more action, and I loved the characters, but I disliked the baddie (and the writing) that supposedly tied everything together.  Missing Noir M was more like reading a mystery novel - slower, quieter...and at times almost overly convoluted.

Both shows had shorter arcs based on the criminal/story of the week, and longer arcs that had to do with the main characters.  I expect that here, there will be more focus on the main story right from the beginning, and less on the smaller/shorter arcs.  Just a guess though (so maybe then more like those on your "good" list). :) Both Bad Guys and Missing Noir M started with a few introductory eps with the focus almost entirely on the smaller stories (more like a procedural), and it took a while before the main character arcs or underlying themes even became clear.  That's why I think that it might almost even be the opposite here, since I don't think it's all that likely that this show wants to come off, even for a few eps, as a procedural.  It's just not done on the major networks.  So it'll be interesting to see how they decide to structure this.  I do think there's potential for lots of fun stuff with the moonlighting, but I also wonder how much emphasis there will be on that, other than what I expect will be his main moonlighting gig - "caring" for our forcibly sedated heiress heroine.

I guess it could go one of two ways: 1) the side cases serve as an intro to his character, but they drop that part when he gets involved with "the 12th floor" or 2) they could keep the side cases/moonlighting going throughout, and tie the smaller arcs into the main story in other ways (or not, I guess).  His objective is money for his sick sister, and it doesn't matter to him how he gets it, so I guess it depends how much money he's getting from the hospital gig/heiress babysitting, and later, heiress revenge assisting.  He's blackmailed into getting involved in all that to begin with (right?), so it's possible he's not getting much/any money from that until she wakes up and "buys" him, so he'll still have to do the other stuff too.  Which puts him at three jobs?  Normal, legal doctoring; random moonlighting cases; and 12th floor shadiness.

/pointless rambling :D

Random question: do we still not have someone cast as the sister?  Or did I miss that bit of news?

Yeah, it really could still go a lot of ways.  They could go really melo, with that setup, but I also think it's more likely to be a mixture of genres.

I have also watched or thought about watching that same string of dramas you listed/dropped (Bad Guys, Missing Noir M, Hidden Identity).  I was excited for the latter before it started, but now I can't seem to muster up the energy to actually watch it.  I think skimming the recap and comments of the first couple of eps might have turned me off it a bit.  Of the other two, I would still give the edge to Bad Guys, but they're both good in some ways, not so good in others.  It's always interesting that shows can be lumped together in the same general genre like those two would be (and Yong-pal, even, but maybe one genre layer out), but the feel and execution are totally different.  Bad Guys was way more action, and I loved the characters, but I disliked the baddie (and the writing) that supposedly tied everything together.  Missing Noir M was more like reading a mystery novel - slower, quieter...and at times almost overly convoluted.

Both shows had shorter arcs based on the criminal/story of the week, and longer arcs that had to do with the main characters.  I expect that here, there will be more focus on the main story right from the beginning, and less on the smaller/shorter arcs.  Just a guess though (so maybe then more like those on your "good" list). :) Both Bad Guys and Missing Noir M started with a few introductory eps with the focus almost entirely on the smaller stories (more like a procedural), and it took a while before the main character arcs or underlying themes even became clear.  That's why I think that it might almost even be the opposite here, since I don't think it's all that likely that this show wants to come off, even for a few eps, as a procedural.  It's just not done on the major networks.  So it'll be interesting to see how they decide to structure this.  I do think there's potential for lots of fun stuff with the moonlighting, but I also wonder how much emphasis there will be on that, other than what I expect will be his main moonlighting gig - "caring" for our forcibly sedated heiress heroine.

I guess it could go one of two ways: 1) the side cases serve as an intro to his character, but they drop that part when he gets involved with "the 12th floor" or 2) they could keep the side cases/moonlighting going throughout, and tie the smaller arcs into the main story in other ways (or not, I guess).  His objective is money for his sick sister, and it doesn't matter to him how he gets it, so I guess it depends how much money he's getting from the hospital gig/heiress babysitting, and later, heiress revenge assisting.  He's blackmailed into getting involved in all that to begin with (right?), so it's possible he's not getting much/any money from that until she wakes up and "buys" him, so he'll still have to do the other stuff too.  Which puts him at three jobs?  Normal, legal doctoring; random moonlighting cases; and 12th floor shadiness.

/pointless rambling :D

Random question: do we still not have someone cast as the sister?  Or did I miss that bit of news?

I am also curious about who's going to be cast as the sister. I had thought it would not be too insignificant a role and usually shows like to squeeze some tears from this kind of Oppa-dongsaeng relationship. So, I am a bit baffled. 

As it is, there seems to be a lot of stuff to packinto this story, hence less need to emphasize on the sister? 

Am I greedy or is it unreasonable to expect quality and quantity from both moonlighting and the heiress story? Maybe I don't really care as long as it keeps me on the edge and entertains me. I seldom dissect a drama, I am easy to please. I can even live with lapses, plot holes and what's nots if the show is good overall. 

Previously, I said that for crime/thriller genre, writing is the most important and acting less so as long as actors are competent. I need to rectify my statement. Writing is the most important, that remains unchanged but acting is a lot more important than I had thought. I dropped Bad Guys and Missing Noir because I never got past episode 4 or was it 5/6? For crime genre, they weren't interesting enough to hook me in. Maybe I missed all the awesomeness in the later episodes. But I have a bone to pick with the acting. I could not stand Sang Jung Kim in Bad Guys. I am usually fine with him but he tried too hard there. The opposite happened with Jo Dong Hyuk, I usually cannot stand him but I was most impressed with him in there. For Missing Noir, again I dropped it early so perhaps I missed seeing Kim Kang Woo's layered acting because I was so bored by him in the little I saw. Since crime genres always have cool/tough as nails/inscrutable/painful past/badass cops as well as villains, Korean showbiz should start acting class for playing this kind of roles. Too many actors have mistaken outward appearance, stiff faces, smirks, death glares, brooding, looking up from beneath the brows for badass cool dude acting. Take a leaf from Park Sung Woong in Hidden Identity, I never got his charm but now I get it. He has this most inscrutable face(which seems to be his trademark) but when he moves, he seems invincible. I don't know if I would have enjoyed My Beautiful Bride as much if the lead was not played by Kim Moo Yeol. Coming off from watching 2 flower boys badass wanabes in crime shows, Kim Moo Yeol is way way better. Comparisons aside, he is truly daebak in this role. 

Likewise, I have my expectations for the acting in Yong Pal other than the story. I have been spoiled by Joo Won who never fails to amaze me at how different he can be in each role and pulling it off superbly. My benchmark for him is set higher and I hope, given a well written character, he will blow me away once again. It is just as exciting to anticipate JHJ and KTH's acting. Not much has been revealed about JHJ's role and I do hope the writer gives us more than a 1 dimensional chaebol evil brother. KTH's character looks interesting already. 

What a treat for K-Drama lovers in the second half of 2015 with Song Hye Kyo and Kim Tae Hee making comebacks on the small screens! ^^

I hope that Yong Pal will soar high in ratings! XD

What a treat for K-Drama lovers in the second half of 2015 with Song Hye Kyo and Kim Tae Hee making comebacks on the small screens! ^^

I hope that Yong Pal will soar high in ratings! XD

@ebullient, interesting you mentioned it, because Hancinema just wrote a short piece exactly about that.  What does bother me about this written piece, is that once again they call Joo Won's character "Quack doctor"

"Yong-pal-yi" Kim Tae-hee VS "The Descendant of the Sun" Song Hye-kyo

photo612140.jpg

Kim Tae-hee's comeback drama SBS "Yong-pal-yi" is competing with Song Hye-kyo's KBS drama "The Descendant of the Sun".

At the script reading session of "Yong-pal-yi on the 25th there were Joo Won, Kim Tae-hee, Jo Hyeon-jae, Chae Jeong-an and other casts. Producer Oh Jin-seok started the reading by saying, "I'll do my best to make a good drama" and writer Jang Hyeok-rin said, "I trust you all".

Drama "Yong-pal-yi" is about a quack doctor named Yong Pal-yi who would do anything for money, meeting a sleeping heiress in the same hospital. This drama is to be released next month.

Meanwhile, at the script reading of KBS "The Descendant of the Sun", there were Song Joong-ki, Song Hye-kyo, Jin Goo, Kim Ji-won-I and others.

Producer Lee Eung-bok said, "I wonder how I can be in the same room with such great people for such a great drama. It's going to be good and I hope for all the best".

"The Descendant of the Sun" is a human melodrama about the youths in this generation to dream of love and success in extreme conditions. This drama is coming this September.

Source: http://tr.im/fHBjK

Moon Ji-in to star in SBS "Yong-pal-yi"

photo612150.jpg

Actress Moon Ji-in is starring in the new SBS drama "Yong-pal-yi".

She recently starred in the KBS "Drama Special - Funny Woman" and was reviewed for a job well done. This time she's playing nurse Song.

"Yong-pal-yi" is about a fraudulent doctor who will do anything for money, coming across a sleeping heiress in his hospital.

Moon Ji-in's role of nurse Song is expected to add more fun and interest to the drama.

Entertainment Tong claimed, "Moon Ji-in is doing her best to appeal to the public more".

"Yong-pal-yi" is coming in August after "Mask".

Source: segye.com/content/html/2015/07/10/20150710000138.html?OutUrl=nate
hancinema.net/moon-ji-in-to-star-in-sbs-yong-pal-yi-84224.html

Archived