Quantcast

I posted his video which is so hilarious together with my last posting, but it got merged with it thus making it rather long and I was mindful of moderators notice . So I deleted this video but posting it now. I love love love it......Note how Joo won was laughing heartily and displaying such cuteness. Yong Pal .... you are exceptional.

credit : 2015 SBS 연기대상 UCC '용팔이의 사랑' 연기자 반응 - 주원, 정웅인, 김태희, 배해선

It was tantalizing finding gems of symbolism in Yong Pal . I was first intrigued by @bebebisous33 reference to the symbolism of the Pope represented by Secretary Min ,and the Queen symbolised by Kim Tae Hee in a power struggle. The vanquished, Sec Min, then had to kneel to the victor " Queen" Han Yeo Jin . :heart:

To quote Alice, I got curiouser  and curiouser ..... and that's when I found an excellent essay by @bjvipb2uty. It was interesting to read about the parallels between Yong Pal and Alice In Wonderland. Shifting gear to this dimension adds depth and uniqueness. It alleviates Yong Pal to the richness of literary fantasy. Thanks friend, your work is awesome. 

I would like to thank @gilaswan for letting me have the honour of posting her excellent Yong Pal Timeline which closed at 6 months + Day 5 ( from start to finish the couple would have known each other for 7 to 8 months

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yong Pal's symbolic find in Alice In Wonderland 

by @bjvipb2uty

Alice & the rabbit hole

Alice as the girl who follows the rabbit down the rabbit hole = Taehyun. Ah yes Taehyun was in many ways our 'Alice.' The rabbit hole has always been a representation of entering/exploring a 'new' world or environment. Taehyun was thrown into the corrupt world of the 12th floor. Of course, Taehyun wasn't blind to the reality of precedence when it comes to favoring the wealthy, but it was 'new' in the sense that Taehyun didn't 1) have a complete grasp of everything that the 12th floor implicated [for example, in one of the latter episodes he describes all the things he was made to do in the 12th floor; it implicated so much more than he imagined] and 2) it wasn't the world he was brought up in.

The symbolism of falling into a dark place identified as complex and mysterious as well as corrupted .

" You walked into this inner circle of a secret on your own "

yp2-250.jpg

credit : owner

11887846_997575796942009_784988561406683

The 12th Floor is the new world of the rich and powerful. The sci-fi room is amazing. In it lay the beautiful Queen.

yp3-356.jpg

yp3-364.jpg

Me : An arresting question ....... what made TH follow the white rabbit into the hole ?  The rabbit wears a white coat and is shown as excited , shy and aggressive . The mystery surrounding 12th floor ( hole ) all abuzz with excitement ,aggression  and the unknown aroused TH's curiosity . Yeo Jin wears white for innocence and vulnerability which attracted TH in his first encounter with her. He couldn't sleep that night. By episode 3, TH was entrapped in the murky hole.

Dear friends I value your ideas . You are so very welcome to contribute. :blush:I

• Like 1

@lavender2love I would say that YJ could be seen as the Queen of hearts who wanted to kill many people, but she was stopped by Alice and the King of heart as well. to me, KTH is Alice because the latter criticised his wife for her actions. But he is also the King who was married to her and argued with her too.    

• Like 1

by @bjvipb2uty

Alice & the rabbit hole

( Iwonder if the 13th floor was also a "rabbit hole ? " Hmm.

Also I found this tidbit in regards to the rabbit hole and Wonderland.

"You may also notice that going down the rabbit hole is a one-way trip – the entry, but not the exit, to the fantasy world."

Interesting, right? Much like Wonderland, the 12th floor had no exit for Taehyun. Chief Lee clearly told him that there was no way out. Taehyun had not only entered the 12th floor, but he had also gotten in on the biggest secret in it. There was no way Taehyun could leave, even if he wanted to. Well, I mean he could leave but at the price of his life.

yp13-228.jpg?w=1527&h=

68367-357895.jpg

yp14-1161.jpg?w=1527&h=

13th floor RABBIT HOLE comes with a golf course and a buggy driven by Sang Chul. Quite a luxurious hole .

yp14-1271.jpg?w=1527&h=

• Like 1

Posted 12 hours ago · Report post

@lavender2love I would say that YJ could be seen as the Queen of hearts who wanted to kill many people, but she was stopped by Alice and the King of heart as well. to me, KTH is Alice because the latter criticised his wife for her actions. But he is also the King who was married to her and argued with her too.    

•  

@bebebisous33 I really like that you have your finger on the pulse. On the dot. She is one heck of a revengeful Queen. Thank you for your contribution. Interesting comment.

Yes the Queen Of :heart: is also beautiful. yp13-255.jpg?w=1527&h=

• Like 1

by @bjvipb2uty

Queens and Kings overall

In both AIW and TLG, the Queens are always the ones in control while the Kings are passive. The Queens are the ones who make decisions and the ones who people actually listen to. No one pays the Kings any mind; they are not frightening in the least. They just carry the title-not the authority. Yeojin and Taehyun captured this social status. Yeojin was the head of the household and business. She took the decisions, she exerted her authority, etc. Taehyun simply had a 'title' to carry. His personal views and beliefs/ideals tied him down so he wasn't able to do anything

Claiming the throne

yp15-92.jpg?w=1309&h=

Queen power !!!

yp15-103.jpg?w=1309&h=

The King a pawn too?

yp15-118.jpg?w=1309&h=

Secretary Min read Alice In Wonderland too. Sound advice or evil on your mind Dec Min ????

yp15-199.jpg?w=1309&h=

Spoiler

yp15-200.jpg?w=1309&h=

Hail to the Queen.!! However unlike the mad and confused Queen in Alice I love this Queen , love that she carried the aura of power, had such brilliance of mind and truly the true blue heiress of a conglomerate. Awesome. Her revenge and Chae Young's evil deed are fodder for another story.

• Like 2

by @bjvipb2uty

The Queen of Hearts

This is perhaps my favorite. Throughout Yongpal I could identify the Queen as Yeojin and in some brief instances even Chaeyoung.

So if you recall, the Queen of Hearts is the bloodthirsty ruler of Wonderland. She's constantly screaming her infamous line: "off with her/his head!" Her solution to problems (albeit ridiculous most of the time) is to simply get rid of people. Of course, Yeojin had much more solid reasons to 'behead' her enemies. However, she too thought that killing them was the only way she could get revenge. Much like the Queen of Hearts, Yeojin wanted to take control and dominate her 'kingdom,' her world, her swamp. Anything and anyone who didn't comply was to get rid of. Her subordinates needed to cower in fear at the 'Queen.' And they did, like we saw with the long line of directors preparing their knees to kneel.

yp14-1251.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp14-611.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp13-254.jpg?w=1309&h=20924.jpg

The Queen has come a long way from her comatose stage. In a way we cheered that she escaped death and also her husband did not meet his " expiry " date. We love that she held the sceptre and wielded power to reign as the Queen of the swamp. She really had no choice, she needed to control the snapping crocodiles or get killed. Enemies were circling for the kill.

• Like 2

by @bjvipb2uty

Now here's the catch. At one point, after Alice's first encounter with the Queen, she finds out that none of the beheading orders from the Queen are carried out. The beheadings actually never happen. Why? Because the King of Hearts always ends up cancelling the orders. There's even a part in the book where we read the King clearly state that everyone present has been pardoned from the string of beheadings ordered by the Queen. The King by no means is perfect. He backs up the Queen at times in her endeavors; nonetheless, always quietly countermands her orders at the end of the day.

So Queen of Hearts=Yeojin and King of Hearts=Taehyun. Taehyun is the character who, although may stand beside the Queen, often ends up 'saving' others. He was willing to pardon even the people who let his mother die (just like the King pardoned the Cheshire Cat even when he had condemned the cat himself). Therefore, our 'King' Taehyun urged Yeojin to abandon her deadly revenge/murders.

yp14-1801.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp14-1961.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp14-1971.jpg?w=1309&h=

However, Yeojin was involved in deaths. Here I bring another line from the book.

"[...] they never executes nobody?

Double negative ? Carroll always utilized language cautiously to build up his stories. This particular line made the situation uncertain. So did beheadings happen or not? Now here my over-analytical brain kicks in. You have been warned. :D

Yeojin's involvement in the deaths of characters was left uncertain in the end. Sure we got indications but we were never 100% sure. Did she send the note to President Go? If she did, then how much blame lies on her hands? But it was suicide, so would she even hold any blame?

Me : Who killed President Go indirectly ? He committed suicide yes, but who are the unseen hands who pushed him to the edge ? Was he deserving of death, he who wanted Han Yeo Jin killed ?

Lots of questions eh ?

yp13-208.jpg?w=1527&h=

• Like 2

@lavender2love Actually, Go committed suicide and his death looks a lot like the way she would have died: the doctors wanted to use her first suicide attempt to mask the crime. Just like Go didn't want to dirty his hands himself, hence he knew that HDJ would do it and he forced him to kill his own sister. YJ used the same method: suicide in order to get rid of an enemy. Interesting is that he cut his throat, while the doctor cut her throat as well.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@lavender2love Actually, Go committed suicide and his death looks a lot like the way she would have died: the doctors wanted to use her first suicide attempt to mask the crime. Just like Go didn't want to dirty his hands himself, hence he knew that HDJ would do it and he forced him to kill his own sister. YJ used the same method: suicide in order to get rid of an enemy. Interesting is that he cut his throat, while the doctor cut her throat as well.  

@bebebisous33  :heart:  that is astute observation........ I never thought of it , that is , the way Go died by suicide,cutting his throat to mirror the manner YJ was set up to die ... slitting her throat. Quoting Sherlock I say" Excellent ...."  but to you with your wonderful grasp of stories it's " elementary " ... hahaha. Yes that's a gem of an insight. I can appreciate the writer more. Also I can understand Yeo Jin"s hatred of Chief Lee better now, he who used a broken shard to slit her throat. He lost his soul.  Case of  eye for an eye ? Or ..... throat for a throat .... hahaa... being trivial.

%25EC%259A%25A9%25ED%258C%2594%25EC%259D

yp13-205.jpg?w=1309&h=

• Like 3

@lavender2love Another thought: I see a parallel between the sleeping beauty in the forbidden room and History: the time of regency. When a king is a child, one relative acts as regent, until the king is old enough to rule the kingdom. This was actually happening. YJ was young, when she had that car accident. She wasn't the CEO yet... she should have become the CEO, as soon as her father died. But it didn't happen because she was "sleeping" and her brother took her place. In History, f. ex. in France, ministers like Mazarin or the mother queen had to rule until the king was old enough. However, HDJ like a regent had to sign the papers in her name. On the paper, she wa still the Queen. Go, HDJ and the other directors are like noble families fighting against each other in order to have the upper hand and keep ruling over YJ's head, misabusing their position to gain power. They didn't care for the king's power. The weaker the king is, the better for them, especially director Go. When he mentioned, HDJ had lost his trumpcards by killing the queen, it looked like a historical drama: HDJ needed a noble family to support him as he wasn't really related to the queen YJ. 

In Germany, the emperor of Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was elected and he was indeed dependant of the support of Grand Electors. As time passed on, the emperor became weaker and weaker. Here, YJ was also elected as CEO. So her goal is to become less and less dependant of the directors as they are not interested in a strong queen! But KTH couldn't see the struggle, as he only saw, she was the Queen.

Okay, this post was really "historical". I hope, it wasn't too fastidious!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@lavender2love Another thought: I see a parallel between the sleeping beauty in the forbidden room and History: the time of regency. When a king is a child, one relative acts as regent, until the king is old enough to rule the kingdom. This was actually happening. YJ was young, when she had that car accident. She wasn't the CEO yet... she should have become the CEO, as soon as her father died. But it didn't happen because she was "sleeping" and her brother took her place. In History, f. ex. in France, ministers like Mazarin or the mother queen had to rule until the king was old enough. However, HDJ like a regent had to sign the papers in her name. On the paper, she wa still the Queen. Go, HDJ and the other directors are like noble families fighting against each other in order to have the upper hand and keep ruling over YJ's head, misabusing their position to gain power. They didn't care for the king's power. The weaker the king is, the better for them, especially director Go. When he mentioned, HDJ had lost his trumpcards by killing the queen, it looked like a historical drama: HDJ needed a noble family to support him as he wasn't really related to the queen YJ. 

@bebebisous33 ... Yay .... another parallel. You make history interesting and it adds to the richness of Yong Pal unique story. So Han Yeo Jin was the heir to the throne but was confined to the glass prison and Han Do Joon was the regent who administered the conglomerate's affairs. For the Noble families ( eg President Go ) it made sense for them to get rid of the Queen. :blink:

The Regent and the Nobles at power play. The weaker will be subjugated and the strong wears the crown. So as the powerless Queen lay in a sci-fi prison her treacherous subjects plot heinous crimes.

yp1-143.jpg  yp1-135.jpg

yp3-99.jpg  yp3-101.jpg

In Germany, the emperor of Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was elected and he was indeed dependant of the support of Grand Electors. As time passed on, the emperor became weaker and weaker. Here, YJ was also elected as CEO. So her goal is to become less and less dependant of the directors as they are not interested in a strong queen! But KTH couldn't see the struggle, as he only saw, she was the Queen.

Okay, this post was really "historical". I hope, it wasn't too fastidious!  

That's neat........ your take on Yeo Jin's dealing with the directors...... to be less and less independent of the warring nobles / directors. What you said about Kim Tae Hyun is so precise....he couldn't see the struggle. If the Queen hadn't move quickly and strategically, she would have lost her head pretty soon. Her revenge is her defence..... get them first. I wish then Tae Hyun as Queen Consort haha... would invest more time in understanding her and influencing her away from bloody revenge. He could do that. Instead, Tae Hyun walked out of her at lleast three times.

yp13-253.jpg?w=1309&h=  yp15-223.jpg?w=1309&h=

• Like 2

@lavender2love That's also why she can't leave the 12th floor, in the sense, she can't leave the company behind because this would only create chaos and confusion so that the company would be ruined. If you quit, the battle for the thron will start. That was impossible for her to leave all this behind and KTH realised it in the end. He came back to her, but helped her to get rid of the "noble families"/directors.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@lavender2love That's also why she can't leave the 12th floor, in the sense, she can't leave the company behind because this would only create chaos and confusion so that the company would be ruined. If you quit, the battle for the thron will start. That was impossible for her to leave all this behind and KTH realised it in the end. He came back to her, but helped her to get rid of the "noble families"/directors.

@bebebisous33.......... great stuff !! She couldn't leave the 12th floor.  She was the heiress/ Queen and all in her life she was groomed to be a ruler and to uphold the legacy of the Kingdom / Hanshin. She also had a responsibility to her subjects, to make Hanshin profitable again ( which was badly managed by HDJ ) so that workers were not retrenched, also to get rid of corrupted officials who were bent on capturing the throne. The Queen Yeo Jin is fascinating to watch..... she's focused, brilliant, instinctive, knows how to play the game and be on top of all the plotters ( except for Chae Young and Sec. Min ) She is even ruthless to those who are out for her life including her brother. It's a lonely road without a righteous " king " to battle alongside with her.

YongPal14-00341a.jpg

Love how she assembled a formidable trading room with an army of geniuses. She was absolutely fantastic at raiding Chairman Choi's company right under his nose, raking in millions and destroying an enemy who had his dagger out first. If we compare her very brilliant way of pulling in all the best and young minds to her trading room to Chairman Choi's staid, old schooled, one mind set staff, the difference is stark. Yes she reigned with such brilliance and her focus was on the future, giving the young sharp minds to put Hanshin in good stock market manoeuvres.  Kim Tae Hyun was on the other end of the spectrum.... lower class, cash strapped and took orders ( weak ) . Love was the cement in the way their lives intertwined but, Tae Hyun, in leaving her, subjected her to the dangers coming from the Noble families. He was just waiting for the Queen to move down to him. Defense shattered with such a move.

yp_ep16_1d.jpg

Different world . Tae hyun did not rise to her plea to be closer to her. He could not move in a vastly different world from his, though it was mainly the revenge arc that he could not stomach. However, in spite of it, he did come back. My point is, he could have stayed put and work alongside her to place Hanshin Medical in a good place, free from corruption. Not possible ?

PicsArt_1443171562845.jpgc

• Like 2

by @bjvipb2uty

Yeojin's involvement in the deaths of characters was left uncertain in the end. Sure we got indications but we were never 100% sure. Did she send the note to President Go? If she did, then how much blame lies on her hands? But it was suicide, so would she even hold any blame?  It's the same delimma with Dojoon's death. Is there blood on Yeo Jin's hand  and how much? This was left uncertain, but perhaps it was meant to be like that so viewers could determine that themselves.

Me : I'm puzzled by this episode. I have consistently maintain that Han Do Joon's death is due to his own greed and again that evil intention to betray his sister. He could have got into the plane and escape. But what did he do ? He tried to kill Tae hyun and then wasted valuable time flagging down the assassins. Haizzzzzz... He who had Tae Hyun, Sec. Min and others on his hit list..... such a man deserves the pit. I really don't understand Yeo Jin for " lying" and Tae Hyun for leaving her based on the assumption.

yp16-148.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp16-150.jpg?w=1527&h=

yp16-158.jpg?w=1527&h=

continue : by @bjvipb2uty

I once read a short story in college with a huge open ending (The Lady or the Tiger? Frank Stockton; it's really neat). It presented a situation in which the reader has the 'power' to determine how the story will end. The author wrote the story like that so that readers could have some insight on who they are as individuals and where their beliefs, morals, etc. lie. Yongpal, in a sense, reminded me greatly of that story. Not only were we left in the shadows in regards to Yeojin's 'murders,' but we were also thrown into a situation where we had to draw our own conclusions and make our own verdicts, most of which were heavily based on our own beliefs. We had tons of pages dedicated to the single topic of how 'correct' or 'excusable' Yeojin's revenge was. Then more pages on whether she should have to pay for those murders-which she may or may not be to blame for in the first place. So then we're back to square one in this endless cycle of our leading lady's arch. Of course, I overthink stuff ALL the time but I'm going to wistfully hope that the writer intended for viewers to take a look at their moral compass with this story.

Me :  My conclusion  ; Yeo Jin , once she ascended the throne had to do what she had to do. Her survival instinct kicked in. She had to be ruthless or had her head off by her predators . I guess her " moral compass " had to be in the backburner. What use is she if she's dead by the first arrow. She had to make pre-emptive moves.

Tae Hyun had to do what he had to do. He could not move in her world . He viewed it as dark and corrupted. Yet he was no stranger to murkiness. He was wallowing in illegal practices even though he was desperate for  money to save his sister. It does not justify it. Wouldn't his stint in the dark world give him the focus to clean up Hanshin, given he had the power from the Chairwoman. I wish he had gumtion for that. 

• Like 2

by @bjvipb2uty

Also Chaeyoung had some characteristics of the Queen of Hearts, but I think she was more of a failed attempt at being the person in charge. At the end of the day we saw her efforts prove to be futile. Who knows, maybe she was going to make a comeback in the future but I doubt she'd ever fill the requisites to be in Yeojin's position.

Me : CY aspired to be Queen and take the spoil which was Tae Hyun . She put her bargaining chip for the King of Hearts in return for her help to facilitate the true Queen ( YJ ) to retake her throne from the Regent HDJ. But ultimately she failed . She is the loser in the end; loss of status and wealth after Do Joon died, loss of a potential toyboy, Tae Hyun, loss of her soul, loss of being mistress of Hanshin Manor, loss of her special VIP room for her cosmetic surgery in Hanshin Medical Center.

yp12-1783.jpg?w=1796

Then her grand scheme included taking down Secretary Min.

yp18-78.jpg?w=1527&h=

But Secretary Min was no pushover. He planned to take the throne for himself. He would want CY to kneel and hail the new King before eliminating her.

yp18-79.jpg?w=1527&h=

Chae Yong ready to establish herself mistress and Queen of Hanshin. Like a witch, CY chose poisoning as her weapon for revenge.

yp18-143.jpg?w=1527&h=S

• Like 2

On 10.4.2016 at 7:03 PM, lavender2love said:

by @bjvipb2uty

Yeojin's involvement in the deaths of characters was left uncertain in the end. Sure we got indications but we were never 100% sure. Did she send the note to President Go? If she did, then how much blame lies on her hands? But it was suicide, so would she even hold any blame?  It's the same delimma with Dojoon's death. Is there blood on Yeo Jin's hand  and how much? This was left uncertain, but perhaps it was meant to be like that so viewers could determine that themselves.

Me : I'm puzzled by this episode. I have consistently maintain that Han Do Joon's death is due to his own greed and again that evil intention to betray his sister. He could have got into the plane and escape. But what did he do ? He tried to kill Tae hyun and then wasted valuable time flagging down the assassins. Haizzzzzz... He who had Tae Hyun, Sec. Min and others on his hit list..... such a man deserves the pit. I really don't understand Yeo Jin for " lying" and Tae Hyun for leaving her based on the assumption.

continue : by @bjvipb2uty

I once read a short story in college with a huge open ending (The Lady or the Tiger? Frank Stockton; it's really neat). It presented a situation in which the reader has the 'power' to determine how the story will end. The author wrote the story like that so that readers could have some insight on who they are as individuals and where their beliefs, morals, etc. lie. Yongpal, in a sense, reminded me greatly of that story. Not only were we left in the shadows in regards to Yeojin's 'murders,' but we were also thrown into a situation where we had to draw our own conclusions and make our own verdicts, most of which were heavily based on our own beliefs. We had tons of pages dedicated to the single topic of how 'correct' or 'excusable' Yeojin's revenge was. Then more pages on whether she should have to pay for those murders-which she may or may not be to blame for in the first place. So then we're back to square one in this endless cycle of our leading lady's arch. Of course, I overthink stuff ALL the time but I'm going to wistfully hope that the writer intended for viewers to take a look at their moral compass with this story.

Me :  My conclusion  ; Yeo Jin , once she ascended the throne had to do what she had to do. Her survival instinct kicked in. She had to be ruthless or had her head off by her predators . I guess her " moral compass " had to be in the backburner. What use is she if she's dead by the first arrow. She had to make pre-emptive moves.

Tae Hyun had to do what he had to do. He could not move in her world . He viewed it as dark and corrupted. Yet he was no stranger to murkiness. He was wallowing in illegal practices even though he was desperate for  money to save his sister. It does not justify it. Wouldn't his stint in the dark world give him the focus to clean up Hanshin, given he had the power from the Chairwoman. I wish he had gumtion for that. 

Great comment, @lavender2love!:glasses:

I had always believed that YJ decided to lie (she is responsible) because she didn't want KTH to feel guilty. To me, even if KTH had been doing illegal things, he had still clean hands in the sense that he was only doing his job as doctor due to his oath (assisting hurt people). As conlusion, he was pure. He hid his true nature by acting like a greedy, selfish and corrupted doctor. Yet, it was just a facade and YJ had seen through him. So his purity, his selflessness and his gift to forgive so easily people are his true qualities. However, he made a bad decision because he didn't trust YJ.

You're right: HDJ died because of his delusion, his greed and ambition, yet KTH should be also considered as responsible because if he hadn't moved the patient, HDJ would have stayed protected. KTH thought, he was protecting HDJ, but by leaving the hospital, it was as if KTH had left the fortress with HDJ (like an ambush, Mittle-Age) so that they got unprotected. When HDJ got killed, KTH was kind of responsible because

- he didn't trust her entirely

- he had moved him from the chamber

- he couldn't stop HDJ from wanting to stay there and fighting against YJ.

His purity would have been stained hence YJ decided to take for the blame for him. By saying, she was responsible, she wanted him to stay pure and not blame himself, if he had known the whole truth. YJ knew, she had already blood on her hands.... therefore one more death or not, this wouldn't change a lot. 

Another thought is: by taking the blame, she might have wanted to redeem herself because she kind of felt responsible for his mother's death, although KTH hadn't reproach it to her. She felt burdened and responsible for that.

But Secretary Min was no pushover. He planned to take the throne for himself. He would want CY to kneel and hail the new King before eliminating her.

I don't think, Min wanted the throne for himself, rather he wanted to stay the shadow or the puppetmaster behind the throne. He sees himself as the Kingmaker and as such superior to the king or queen. Besides, he knows, as king or queen, you are more exposed and vulnerable so that the reign is a dangerous business.

Like I said before, he should be seen as the pope, the one who makes and takes away the king. First, he was an ally of CY, well aware that she would like to get rid of him. But his attempt was to get rid of the more powerful queen YJ who had become so strong (the company was doing better and better). YJ was a thread to him as she wasn't weak and dependant of him. By replacing her, he would have placed a person who was indebted to him so that he would have had the upper hand. Remember, I mentioned that the weaker a king is, the better it is for the ministers, noble families or here the pope. So the fact, they were selecting the next king or queen should be seen like it was in the middle-age, when in Germany the emperor of Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was elected and he was indeed dependant of the support of Grand Electors. The emperor was really weak. IF CY had been chosen as the next queen, she wouldn't have had so much power. She was also delusional.

Min knew, she was poisoning YJ and as such, he had power over her because he could blackmail her!   

• Like 3

I just saw this again in Dramafever YT and remembered those time in Yong Pal...Those dark yet lovely moments of our OTP. I wish I could see them  ( Joo Won and Kim Tae Hee) in a drama. Nostalgia attacks

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Great comment, @lavender2love!:glasses:

I had always believed that YJ decided to lie (she is responsible) because she didn't want KTH to feel guilty. To me, even if KTH had been doing illegal things, he had still clean hands in the sense that he was only doing his job as doctor due to his oath (assisting hurt people). As conlusion, he was pure. He hid his true nature by acting like a greedy, selfish and corrupted doctor. Yet, it was just a facade and YJ had seen through him. So his purity, his selflessness and his gift to forgive so easily people are his true qualities. However, he made a bad decision because he didn't trust YJ.

Wow ..... !!! @bebebisous33    . You're DAEBAK!!   :heart: All your comments are insightful . You explain cause and effect so well. Your views cause me to feel softer towards Kim Tae Hyun because now I understand. The same I feel towards Yeo Jin ..... less exasperated by her " lie." She was actually the " protector " like you said, protecting his pain and frustration at the failed attempt to get HDJ out of a secured area to somewhere safe. She kind of shifted the blame on herself. I think at this point she made the sacrifice to let him go so his " purity " will not be further compromised. Also , as you said she wanted to redeem herself for indirectly causing his mother's death. So we see then Han Yeo Jin was fit to be the Queen ,so decisive even though i decisions were difficult to make, strong and willing to accept responsibility.

You're right: HDJ died because of his delusion, his greed and ambition, yet KTH should be also considered as responsible because if he hadn't moved the patient, HDJ would have stayed protected. KTH thought, he was protecting HDJ, but by leaving the hospital, it was as if KTH had left the fortress with HDJ (like an ambush, Mittle-Age) so that they got unprotected. When HDJ got killed, KTH was kind of responsible because

- he didn't trust her entirely

- he had moved him from the chamber

- he couldn't stop HDJ from wanting to stay there and fighting against YJ.

His purity would have been stained hence YJ decided to take for the blame for him. By saying, she was responsible, she wanted him to stay pure and not blame himself, if he had known the whole truth. YJ knew, she had already blood on her hands.... therefore one more death or not, this wouldn't change a lot. 

Another thought is: by taking the blame, she might have wanted to redeem herself because she kind of felt responsible for his mother's death, although KTH hadn't reproach it to her. She felt burdened and responsible for that.

Another of your great insight about Tae Hyun.... because he moved HDJ from the fortress, he and his party became vulnerable to ambush. He didn't have backup like a front and rear guard ( the gangsters would have been handy.... After all it was war )

Just from his conversation we see his poor planning showing him rather naive, because he was pure. Even his bodyguard refused the plan at first.

yp16-63.jpg?w=2000&h=  yp16-64.jpg?w=2000&h=

yp16-65.jpg?w=2000&h=  yp16-66.jpg?w=2000&h=

yp16-67.jpg?w=2000&h=yp16-62.jpg?w=2000&h=

I don't think, Min wanted the throne for himself, rather he wanted to stay the shadow or the puppetmaster behind the throne. He sees himself as the Kingmaker and as such superior to the king or queen. Besides, he knows, as king or queen, you are more exposed and vulnerable so that the reign is a dangerous business.

Applaud.... !!!  You wrote a very good understanding of Min. How true.... he wields more power as a Kingmaker because he can make alliances, often evil, to go against the Queen. These puppet masters do a lot " whisperings " to Kings, Queens to keep them weak and to Nobles to influence them.  And he needn't be at the front line of firing. Very crafty.

Like I said before, he should be seen as the pope, the one who makes and takes away the king. First, he was an ally of CY, well aware that she would like to get rid of him. But his attempt was to get rid of the more powerful queen YJ who had become so strong (the company was doing better and better). YJ was a thread to him as she wasn't weak and dependant of him. By replacing her, he would have placed a person who was indebted to him so that he would have had the upper hand. Remember, I mentioned that the weaker a king is, the better it is for the ministers, noble families or here the pope. So the fact, they were selecting the next king or queen should be seen like it was in the middle-age, when in Germany the emperor of Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation was elected and he was indeed dependant of the support of Grand Electors. The emperor was really weak. IF CY had been chosen as the next queen, she wouldn't have had so much power. She was also delusional.

Min knew, she was poisoning YJ and as such, he had power over her because could blackmail her!   

Isolating the Queen to weaken her and destroying YJ's financial strong room, the hub of trading and the company's " treasure house"

yp17-248.jpg?w=2000&h=yp17-264.jpg?w=2000&h=

yp17-265.jpg?w=2000&h=yp17-266.jpg?w=2000&h=

Ohh ..... this makes so much sense.... The pope plays political machinations with skill. He can give the semblance of a monarchy yet wield much power if the King or Queen is weak. It's so interesting to read of Min's psyche as you have laid out and the parallel to history. Thank you .... :heart:

BTW, I lurked in Marriage Contract and you wrote some good comments.

Also BTW @YourPal..... you mentioned here in Yong Pal your preference for Uee with Joo Won instead of Kim Tae Hee and you love Uee's  acting. I remember we were discussing how kpop singers were not good actresses but you insisted Uee was good even some said her eyes only opened wide. Just to chit chat with you.... have you seen your girl in Marriage Contract ? Check it out.

40 minutes ago, LyeKIM said:

>iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VDS12Pp5FFE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe<

Hi @LyeKIM ........ not getting your post. Could you repost ? Thanks.  Looks interesting.

:P

• Like 3

@lavender2love Your posts are also very well written and very insightful. I really liked the analogy with Alice in Wonderland and the connection to fairytales (sleeping beauty) too. Actually, this drama is much more interesting, if you think about it after a while. I had also problems to understand why YJ would take the blame. I didn't like her noble idiocy gesture, but after taking the historical approach, I could understand her gesture and even admit that it was indeed no real noble idiocy because she was acting like a real queen! In the end, I even loved her much more, just like I didn't really like that KTH would decide to abandon her... but seeing KTH as someone pure, even described by the sister as an angel, made me change my mind. I could also accept his reasons. 

Thanks for the compliment for my comments on Marriage contract too! ;)