Guest ororomunroe

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, I had just coincidentally started watching King's Daughter, Soo Baek Hyang a couple of weeks ago.  Of course, I only got though the first couple of eps because I watch everything at a snail's pace, so JHJ's character has yet to even make an appearance.  I guess this gives me a reason to continue, and maybe at a little faster pace. :) I've never seen him in anything else.

I'm seeing a bunch of articles about Jo Bok Rae, who I'm totally unfamiliar with.  I guess he has only done theater and movies, but never TV?

I believe this is him: daum, hancinema

I wonder what his character will be.

@ecs707a, I was so addicted to King's Daughter when it was airing.  I could not miss a single day, to watch that day's episode.

yes, that is him. - Jo Bok-Rae. Here is his profile on AsianWiki too.  They said in on article that he had appeared in a 2010 drama "My Love DMZ"  but I am not finding anything about that drama, or a record of him having appeared in a drama before. yet the article states first time in 5 years he is in a drama...  Smiley

htm_20150625235318c010c011_99_2015062607

According to this article both Jo Hyun-Jae, and actress Chae Jung An are now confirmed

Other actors mentioned in this article are :  (I hope I understand the article correctly)

Jung Woon-In

Yoo Seung Mok

Song Kyung Chul

They also mention Bae Hyeon-Seon, but I cannot find any info about her.

Source

The article mentions that the drama underwent an overhaul after the change in director. But it doesn't say if the overhaul is just confined to casting changes or if the story was overhauled also because JHJ joined the drama.

@prissymom, thank you for info, and translation.

AsianWiki just posted this update on their FB page:

Jo Hyun-Jae, Chae Jung-An and Jung Woong-In are cast in supporting roles in upcoming SBS drama series YONG-PAL starring Joo Won & Kim Tae-Hee.

In drama series YONG-PAL, actor Jo Hyun-Jae will play Han Do-Joon. His character is the older brother of Yeo-Jin (Kim Tae-Hee). To take control of the family company, he causes his sister to go into a deep sleep state.

Actress Chae Jung-An will play Lee Chae-Young. She is the wife of Han Do-Joon’s (Jo Hyun-Jae). Her character acts innocent and naive, but she always pays attention to whats going in the hospital room where Yeo-Jin stays.

Actor Jung Woong-In will play Chief Surgeon Lee. He is the one who places Han Yeo-Jin in a deep sleep state.

YONG-PAL first airs this August in South Korea.

In addition they have updated the cast list as follows:

Cast

@prissymom, thank you for info, and translation.

AsianWiki just posted this update on their FB page:

Jo Hyun-Jae, Chae Jung-An and Jung Woong-In are cast in supporting roles in upcoming SBS drama series YONG-PAL starring Joo Won & Kim Tae-Hee.

In drama series YONG-PAL, actor Jo Hyun-Jae will play Han Do-Joon. His character is the older brother of Yeo-Jin (Kim Tae-Hee). To take control of the family company, he causes his sister to go into a deep sleep state.

Actress Chae Jung-An will play Lee Chae-Young. She is the wife of Han Do-Joon’s (Jo Hyun-Jae). Her character acts innocent and naive, but she always pays attention to whats going in the hospital room where Yeo-Jin stays.

Actor Jung Woong-In will play Chief Surgeon Lee. He is the one who places Han Yeo-Jin in a deep sleep state.

YONG-PAL first airs this August in South Korea.

In addition they have updated the cast list as follows:

Cast

JUNG WOONG IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I love love him since I last saw him in I Hear Your Voice. He was darn good as the villain. This will be a reunion for Joo Won and his Woong In hyung since they last appeared as brothers in Ojakgyo Brothers. 

I think the cast is great so now please writer-nim and PD step up! Whatever overhaul they are referring to, I hope they meant the change in casting. I like the original premise which sounds dark. 

Joo-won, Kim Tae-hee get their nemeses in SBS’s Yong-pal
by javabeans

yongpal2a.jpg
Jo Hyun-jae, Jung Woong-in, Jo Bok-rae

The plot thickens for SBS’s upcoming Wednesday-Thursday series Yong-pal, which is described in somewhat bemusing Engrish as a “spectacle unique melodrama,” which I’m taking to mean intensely dramatic and spectacle-filled. The show did undergo some rough waters when its director was switched, but now seems to be settling down, its casting complete as the production readies to begin filming.

Joo-won was cast early on to play the lead role of a brilliant surgical resident who resorts to taking on illegal backdoor cases for cash, offering his medical services to the wealthy in order to pay for his sister’s expensive dialysis treatments. He’s drowning in debt and willing to do anything for money, which puts him in the unique position of being privy to some shocking, scandalous goings-on amongst the moneyed elite.

More here: dramabeans.com/2015/06/joo-won-kim-tae-hee-get-their-nemeses-in-sbss-yong-pal

Jo Hyun Jae joins Kim Tae Hee, Joo Won, and Chae Jung Ahn in SBS series Yong Pal

Yong_Pal_cast_jo_hyun_jae.png

Jo Hyun Jae (49 Days) has joined the cast of Yong Pal, the upcoming medical series starring Joo Wonand Kim Tae Hee. In the new series, he will play Kim Tae Hee's brother and Chae Jung Ahn's husband.

Longtime drama fans may recall that Jo Jae Hyun and Kim Tae Hee already worked together before in the 2004 series Nine Tailed Fox (Forbidden Love). 

Forbidden_love_Kim_tae_hee_kiss.jpg

Kim_tae_hee_jo_hyun_jae_gumiho.jpg

Although they played lovers in that series, there won't be any romantic feelings this time around (we hope!), as the two will be playing half-siblings in Yong Pal

Jo Hyun Jae will play Han Do Jun, the chairman of Hanshin Group who is married to the outwardly innocent but inwardly conniving Lee Chae Young (Chae Jung Ahn). Kim Tae Hee plays Han Yeo Jin, his younger half-sister, whom he puts in a coma to gain control of the family company (because what else are K-drama half-siblings for if not to scheme against for control of the family company?). 

Once Yeo Jin wakes from her coma, she plots revenge against those who wronged her. Enter Joo Won as Kim Tae Hyun, a talented surgical resident who makes illegal house calls to wealthy clients in order to support his sick sister. The doctor who goes by the code name "Yong Pal" meets the secretive heiress at the hospital, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens from there!

The premise is certainly interesting, and the casting is excellent. What do you think of Jo Hyun Jae playing the villain? Are you excited for this series? 

http://www.dramafever.com/news/jo-hyun-jae-reunites-with-kim-tae-hee-for-upcoming-series-yong-pal/

@Nancyzak, thank you for the DramaFever article and the relationship chart.  I think it is important we respond to the DF article, so that they see there are people wanting to see this drama, and will bring it to us subbed.

@ororomunroe, thank you so much for updating the first page.  I have not seen other photos from the script reading. Seems that everyone's focus was on the additional cast members.

SBS Completes Casting for Yongpalyi with Kim Tae Hee, Joo Won, Jo Hyun Jae, and Choi Jung Ahn

dush.jpg

Upcoming SBS Wed-Thurs drama Yongpalyi just firmed up the casting and production details, and then promptly went from intriguing to likely miss for me. I’m not rendering an early judgment on the drama’s potential quality or lack thereof, just that it ends up with certain elements that turn me off. The first is the PD switch from the Lee Dong Hoon who directed God’s Gift: 14 Days to the one who directed SBS weekend dramas Modern Farmer and Goddess of Marriage. Such a downgrade switch. This drama originally got on my radar when it was in the early stages of production solely because of the GG:14D director.

The second issue to rub me the wrong way is the casting of Jo Hyun Jae as the second male lead, rounding out the leads consisting of Joo Won and Kim Tae Hee as the OTP well as perennial second female lead Choi Jung Ahn. I love Jo Hyun Jae and am sad to see him relegated to second lead status, made even worse by the male lead being Joo Won who I basically have zero interest in. Doubling the ignominy is that Jo Hyun Jae and Kim Tae Hee played the headlining OTP over ten years ago in K-drama Nine-tailed Fox, and now he’s playing her older brother! *headdesk*

Read more HERE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow.. While I totally get and agree with what she says about Jo Hyun-Jae, I totally disagree about what she writes about Joo Won.  My God, I could not believe my eyes because I could never imagine anyone not liking Joo Won and not appreciating his talent. I was mesmerized from the very first time I saw him in "King of Baking," and he only gets better.

SBS Completes Casting for Yongpalyi with Kim Tae Hee, Joo Won, Jo Hyun Jae, and Choi Jung Ahn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow.. While I totally get and agree with what she says about Jo Hyun-Jae, I totally disagree about what she writes about Joo Won.  My God, I could not believe my eyes because I could never imagine anyone not liking Joo Won and not appreciating his talent. I was mesmerized from the very first time I saw him in "King of Baking," and he only gets better.

Not surprising at all to me.  There is a long history of thinly-veiled (and not-so-veiled) insults.  "Zero interest" is quite mild, actually. 

Meh, it is what it is.  I'm just glad we can all be civil here.  So far, so good anyway. :)

It just feels premature to say anything about second lead vs. lead importance/prestige/whatever.  We have no idea yet how this drama is going to be structured, and there's no reason to believe yet that the "second lead" is any less in anything other than name.  I totally get the pain and frustration of having someone you love as an actor get stuck in second lead land, but it also seems to be a place where actors get a chance to do something different or to experiment with image or genre.  Second leads are sometimes more interesting than leads just because there's not as much of an image to uphold.  Or that's what it seems like to me anyway.

I also don't get why two actors once paired a decade ago must be viewed as a unit/couple/romantic pairing even now.  Maybe the JHJ and KTH fans here can weigh in. :)

@Nancyzak, thank you for the DramaFever article and the relationship chart.  I think it is important we respond to the DF article, so that they see there are people wanting to see this drama, and will bring it to us subbed.

Hi @irilight,

You are welcome! I have not watched DF subbed Kdramas before as their videos don't work in my country. I usually resort to other sites for the subs which take about 2-3 days for the subs to be uploaded. Nonetheless, good suggestion on DF sub. Will make a comment there! :)

Archived