Guest ororomunroe

SBS Completes Casting for Yongpalyi with Kim Tae Hee, Joo Won, Jo Hyun Jae, and Choi Jung Ahn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow.. While I totally get and agree with what she says about Jo Hyun-Jae, I totally disagree about what she writes about Joo Won.  My God, I could not believe my eyes because I could never imagine anyone not liking Joo Won and not appreciating his talent. I was mesmerized from the very first time I saw him in "King of Baking," and he only gets better.

Not surprising at all to me.  There is a long history of thinly-veiled (and not-so-veiled) insults.  "Zero interest" is quite mild, actually. 

Meh, it is what it is.  I'm just glad we can all be civil here.  So far, so good anyway. :)

It just feels premature to say anything about second lead vs. lead importance/prestige/whatever.  We have no idea yet how this drama is going to be structured, and there's no reason to believe yet that the "second lead" is any less in anything other than name.  I totally get the pain and frustration of having someone you love as an actor get stuck in second lead land, but it also seems to be a place where actors get a chance to do something different or to experiment with image or genre.  Second leads are sometimes more interesting than leads just because there's not as much of an image to uphold.  Or that's what it seems like to me anyway.

I also don't get why two actors once paired a decade ago must be viewed as a unit/couple/romantic pairing even now.  Maybe the JHJ and KTH fans here can weigh in. :)

Yeah.....miss ockoala and her hate affair with Joo Won, LOL :D Actually I think she has mellowed, Joo Won hasn't gotten the worst of her insults. Has anyone read the awful things she wrote about some actors? We do not need to agree on how great an actor is but there's a line to draw when it comes to insulting a person especially when it comes to looks. 

I too get the frustration Jo Hyun Jae's fans might be having now. Taking up 2nd lead after a long awaited return to dramaland is not exciting news. Without any information and details on his role in the drama, I can't blame the lack of positiveness. Perhaps trust in JHJ's judgement that taking this role is a positive step in his acting career? In most of the better dramas I have watched, the villains are just as memorable as the protagonist. In fact, there's plenty of room for them to display their acting prowess. I am quite excited that Joo Won won't be playing a plain straight genius doctor in this drama. The more imperfect his character or actions are, the better. Kdramas like to create characters which are out of this world like vampires, aliens and chaebol princes. Don't get me wrong, I do somewhat see the appeal and the need for fantasy in our mundane world. But sometimes, a slice of life drama with realistic characters are just as interesting, if not more. For Yong Pal, I hope the writer portrays realistically the situations, circumstances in which folks call for Yong Pal instead of heading to the A&E.  

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SBS Completes Casting for Yongpalyi with Kim Tae Hee, Joo Won, Jo Hyun Jae, and Choi Jung Ahn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wow.. While I totally get and agree with what she says about Jo Hyun-Jae, I totally disagree about what she writes about Joo Won.  My God, I could not believe my eyes because I could never imagine anyone not liking Joo Won and not appreciating his talent. I was mesmerized from the very first time I saw him in "King of Baking," and he only gets better.

Not surprising at all to me.  There is a long history of thinly-veiled (and not-so-veiled) insults.  "Zero interest" is quite mild, actually. 

Meh, it is what it is.  I'm just glad we can all be civil here.  So far, so good anyway. :)

It just feels premature to say anything about second lead vs. lead importance/prestige/whatever.  We have no idea yet how this drama is going to be structured, and there's no reason to believe yet that the "second lead" is any less in anything other than name.  I totally get the pain and frustration of having someone you love as an actor get stuck in second lead land, but it also seems to be a place where actors get a chance to do something different or to experiment with image or genre.  Second leads are sometimes more interesting than leads just because there's not as much of an image to uphold.  Or that's what it seems like to me anyway.

I also don't get why two actors once paired a decade ago must be viewed as a unit/couple/romantic pairing even now.  Maybe the JHJ and KTH fans here can weigh in. :)

Although I have seen their respective works and like JHJ and KTH is my bias, I have not watched JHJ and KTH's NTF:FL. Therefore I can't feel like those who have watched NTF:FL and love their pairing. What I can say from my perspective is that KTH is known to have good acting chemistry with  her male co-stars and she believes in, among others, creating unforgettable OTP moments. Therefore, her pairings, are most certainly, unforgettable. I admire JW's acting talent and this is a fresh pairing. I have no qualm that it will not be any different to KTH when it comes to acting with JW. As actors, they know their job is to deliver their best and needless to say, work hard for it.

Koala is known to take hard stance/skewed view at times, but there are also times when she changed her mind and raves about it in turn. She did that to KTH. Hopefully she changes her mind on JW with Yongpalyi. Although I faithfully follow Koala's blogs, I try not to take it to heart on her rants/dislikes because it's her blog. I make my own judgment, ultimately. :)

@ecs707a, @mrdimples, @Nancyzak, thank you for your POV's.   I do agree with you all.  I was just shocked reading this article, because  in my mind Joo Won's talent as an actor should be undisputed. And I do agree, that it is an interesting pairing with KTH, and I look forward to it.

Regarding JHJ, I do trust his judgment in accepting this role, based on the information he had. I agree we just need to wait and see how this drama unfolds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah.....miss ockoala and her hate affair with Joo Won, LOL :D Actually I think she has mellowed, Joo Won hasn't gotten the worst of her insults. Has anyone read the awful things she wrote about some actors? We do not need to agree on how great an actor is but there's a line to draw when it comes to insulting a person especially when it comes to looks. 

I too get the frustration Jo Hyun Jae's fans might be having now. Taking up 2nd lead after a long awaited return to dramaland is not exciting news. Without any information and details on his role in the drama, I can't blame the lack of positiveness. Perhaps trust in JHJ's judgement that taking this role is a positive step in his acting career? In most of the better dramas I have watched, the villains are just as memorable as the protagonist. In fact, there's plenty of room for them to display their acting prowess. I am quite excited that Joo Won won't be playing a plain straight genius doctor in this drama. The more imperfect his character or actions are, the better. Kdramas like to create characters which are out of this world like vampires, aliens and chaebol princes. Don't get me wrong, I do somewhat see the appeal and the need for fantasy in our mundane world. But sometimes, a slice of life drama with realistic characters are just as interesting, if not more. For Yong Pal, I hope the writer portrays realistically the situations, circumstances in which folks call for Yong Pal instead of heading to the A&E.  

Actually @ecs707a one example I can cite now is a a pair of actors who acted as a romantci couple a decade ago and is now in a drama with a spiteful relationship. Jo Han Sun and Soo Ae who acted in 2004 April Kiss were a couple in that drama. But now in Mask airing at the moment he plays a role who is demanding sexual favours from the character played by Soo Ae. Gosh! I was like what a turn of events. But then look at it this way, you feel like knocking the b@#%s off that guy and we have to commend their acting for touching our sentiments.

So you may never know as long as the scriptwriter gives a background to the characters and as viewers we can either sympathise, empathise or maybe curse them right off :) I mean the roles they play

@simplydramafied1082, great points.  I actually have been looking for April Kiss for a long time. Do you happen to know where it is viewable with Eng subs? 

Also, I am one not in favor of reunions of romantic couples. If it was great once, there is no reason to repeat it in my mind, but I know I am in the minority on this one. 

I just hope that whatever the main actors saw when they accepted their respective role, will be kept in the drama, and that not only us, but they are not disappointed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sorry.. my mistake.... I was referring to scriptwriter of GOM. I edited it out.

@simplydramafied1082, great points.  I actually have been looking for April Kiss for a long time. Do you happen to know where it is viewable with Eng subs? 

Also, I am one not in favor of reunions of romantic couples. If it was great once, there is no reason to repeat it in my mind, but I know I am in the minority on this one. 

This scriptwriter, IMO - is totally unpredictable (and not in a good way). We were gasping when she hardly gave Lee Sang-Woo any screen time as 2nd lead in GOM; And again when she shifted the focus in My Heart Twinkle Twinkle from the OTP which we loved, (Bae Soo-Bin and Jang Shin-Young) to a younger actress (Nam Bo-Ra), whose role she wrote in a pretty childish immature way, and we all could not stand her. @valsava can probably attest to that as well.

I just hope that whatever the main actors saw when they accepted their respective role, will be kept in the drama, and that not only us, but they are not disappointed.

do you mean PD Oh? Shucks :( this doesn't look good, does it? It will be a wanton waste of talents and good story. Another thing I note, all her dramas are with SBS? Well.......

As much as I do not want to be a wet blanket, I think there's a limit to how much actors know when they accept a role. For one, they get just a silver of the whole script. Things can and always do change. If I want to think the worse, things might already be changed when this new PD took over. We don''t know if google translate of "Overhaul" of drama meant anything more than change of cast, do we? 

I am watching less kdramas these days. I tried some current ones but nothing holds my interest. I am watching China and Taiwan dramas now, kind of to see if I can go back and appreciate kdramas more. I hope Yong Pal can be one of the better if not great drama of 2015. And by that, I don't mean ratings but quality which don't always go hand in hand. 

@mrdimples oops.. I made a mistake. Yes. to the director of GOM, not script writer....!

As far as PD Oh, it was difficult to tell in GOM if what I thought was lacking was because of his direction or the poor script. I am hoping it was the script.

And therefore, my comments about My Heart Twinkle Twinkle are invalid for this discussion... so sorry... I edited it out.

We still have scriptwirter Jang Hyeok-Ring, :)

I actually watch quite a few Kdrama.  My favorites right now (not counting sageuk) are "My Love Eun-Dong,"  "Mask", and "Make a Woman Cry," as well as "Bluebird House."

I have an intention to create fan-made poster of Yong Pal so I was browsing through Joo Won photos.As I was doing that,I ended up re-reading recaps of Bridal mask on dramabeans.Oh,nostalgic.  I can't wait to see Joo Won in dark role again. I need him to kick @$$ like he did in BM.That drama is the reason why I will put JW as my first bias no matter what.Nowadays,Kdramas are not my cup of tea.They started out fine but become boring in the middle.I hope Yong Pal will not fall into that category. All 3 main leads characters are interesting for now.I hope the writer will develop all the characters well and not just JW's character. 

Now who remember the powerful villain Shunji(if you ever watched Bridal mask)? He was a villain we loved so much but also hated him to the guts.He was just as perfect as the main character.I want JHJ's role to be as scary and powerful as him.To the point where even JHJ fans will say this is not JHJ we love but the scary,spiteful man that you will hate while watching Yong Pal. 

I have the faith in script writer. Please do not mess it up. You have Joo Won and Jo Hyun Jae. Also Kim Tae hee,whom I believe is a decent actress. I especially loved her in Stairway to Heaven as Mistress of Evil. :P

Yong Pal,Hwaiting!

web_3745436997_115a9ff5_Screenshot_2015-

Hmmm....saw this pic on DC....another flashy car for Jo Hyun Jae's character? I don't think Joo Won's can afford a car unless his friendly loanshark or gangster hyung lends him one to make more bucks. 

I hope he won't be using this....

5c1ba4af2edda3cc7f48de3305e93901213f9225

btw, @irilight , was it you who mentioned it's easier to insert pics? I am still doing the URL way. 

and I have another question.....why does soompi allow this cover photo thing but auto blows up the pic no matter how small I try to resize the photo? I wanted a full body and see what I ended up with! 

Jo Hyun Jae as Second Lead?WHY?

I have read comments.Everywhere and anywhere.I have been trying to avoid this topic because being the Joo Won fan,I will definitely side Joo Won no matter how much I admire JHJ. That's unfair to him.

But then I can't stand the fact that Joo Won is being labelled as unworthy of this role by some blogger or some netizens. Yes. I understand frustration of JHJ fans feel.He has been main lead for 10 years plus.I believe 14 years.On the other hand,Joo Won is only in this industry for 5 years.In term of seniority, JHJ is definitely senior and more experienced. But in term of acting skills,both are more or less same level with different strengths.

Why Joo Won?

He is young.Yes.The character Yong Pal is a final year resident doctor.Therefore, casting director will definitely find actor who is in 20s to fit the role.Why would they get the actors in 30s when they need is someone who is young and can act?Joo Won falls in this category. Even if JW rejected,this role would have landed in another young actor in 20s.Not JHJ or any other older actors.

Joo Won is not interesting

Yes.If he is not interesting please don't ever put him under your radar and anyhow assault him.Leave him alone.It is okay if you don't like him,just leave him.If unhappy that Jo Hyun Jae is "second lead", please wait for his next movie/drama or fast forward all JW scenes if you are so devastated. No. I am not joking. I did that. But I never insulted the main lead or dislike him for being the main lead.

That being said,I do not believe that JHJ will be typical "second lead" here.That role must be so important enough to give it to high-profile actor like JHJ.So why keep retaliating that JHJ is second lead,second lead...and upset over it...Why must we always stick to this formats?

2male leads= Main Male lead + second Male Lead

Villain=second lead

second lead=bad=degraded=less important

There are many dramas with 2 high profile actors.Queen seo Duk,The producers,Hwajung, You're all surrounded.All with 2 famous actors.Who are the second leads?

Now is the time to pray hard that the script is good enough to develop all roles well,not rant over the position of actors.

Sorry but just hate the facts that JW is being chewed out for no reasons. : P

Just gonna share my sentiment here about the casting..I'm a big fan of the three,so personally I'm very happy seeing the three of them in one drama.I don't care who is the lead and who is not but to tell you honestly when I first saw  the casting news I felt a little disappointment bcoz for the 2nd time JHJ will be playing as 2nd lead again but I'm also very happy bcoz' for the first time i'll be seeing JHJ playing a villain,something totally very different from his previous roles and image. I believe this is a good turning point in JHJ acting career right now. As for JHJ and KTH playing as brother and sister I'm actually looking forward to it. Back then i was a huge shipper of KTH and JHJ and FL is still one of my most favorite drama up to now. Right now I can't imagine them playing as brother and sister but it makes me excited to see how things will work in the drama bcoz' they will be also playing enemy..About Joo Won casting I think he is the perfect choice for his role. Just like @Ma OO said even Joo Won is not casted in this role most probably the production team will still find actor in his 20's to play the role. Joo Won is also a good actor,whether you like his acting or not it's a fact that you can't deny. I just hope people stop degrading him and just pray that this drama will turn out good..

This is a sensitive topic and I am happy to see this thread as harmonious as we can get. I never had a bad experience with Joo Won's drama thread and hopefully it will continue with Yong Pal. 

I have avoided comparing JHJ with JW because it's unfair. Joo Won is my bias and while I may no longer be his hardcore fan, I think highly of his acting skills and talent. I am a sucker for good acting. Looks have a temporary effect on me, it's an actor's acting and screen presence that reels me in. I only remember JHJ vaguely in 49 Days, I think he made me felt for his character in there. The most recent drama I have watched of JHJ was in Ad Genius, that in my opinion is the type of 2nd lead role which does not do much for the actor. I blamed it on the writing. 

Kdramaland will always have newer and younger actors ready to take the spot from the current popular stars. Joo Won is a '87er together with Lee Minho, Kim Soohyun and more. MS is looming and after that, he will find himself in the next phase of his career. The type of dramas and roles for older actors in their 30s are different. They will have to rely less on looks and more of their acting prowess and versatility. Joo Won started his career playing an antagonist in Baker King and his character in Bridal Mask started out as really badass. Then he took an entirely different turn as an autistic doctor in Good Doctor. So if anyone complains he is playing the same old role again, it's because this person is a hater. Joo Won is as different as day from night in each and every one of his drama role. I look forward to see him take even more diverse roles in the future. 

I don't know about JHJ's real person but he has the kind of face which is all benevolence and hard to imagine as all out evil. Perhaps this is why he wants to shake off the good guy image? There's a whole lot of actors who make their career acting less than desirable characters in movies. 

I don't think that anyone but Miss Koala will say that Joo Won is not an awesome and versatile actor.  To me, his acting capabilities are not even in question.

I like JHJ, and my reaction to the villain 2nd lead, was mostly because he is the 3rd actor this year that I like who has taken on a villain role for the first time. I was not at all trying to insinuate that he should have been the lead as Miss Koala wrote.

While I realize that playing a villain can challenge an actor and  broaden his resume, (if done well, of course) - my main concern is that he will not be typecast in the future as a villain.

We see it all the time... Even in our upcoming drama - Jung Woong-In...

Good news! Viki already got the license  Smiley

https://www.viki.com/tv/27693c-yong-pal

Yong Pal  

(Also known as: The Gang Doctor)
Licensed Regions: The Americas + Europe, available to QCs worldwide
Please leave team name suggestions in the comments :)
Don't forget to add the channel to your favorites for updates!

I hope we get fast subs :D

I see that they have a few names in running for the Team Name

Team:

The Pali Pali Team
The Gang Doctor Team
The House Doctor Team
The Good Doctor Team

my pick is The Pali Pali Team. There's some background to it. Joo Won's character Dr Park Si On in the drama, Good Doctor will say "Pali Pali!" whenever there's an emergency situation. And he said it in an adorable way. Of course, I don't see why Good Doctor has to have some kind of influence on this drama but "Pali Pali" is also a pun on Yong Pali which I think is the Korean title? So it is kind of apt and cute at the same time. Fans of Yong Pal can also plead the Vicki sub team to quickly sub the drama crying out "Pali Pali, Pali Pali Team!" LOL, maybe they will regret choosing this name. 

A new cast. Model turned to actress, Stephany Lee joins YongPal. she finished her first script reading as well ^^

wonder if she will be JooWon's sister? or KTH's rival?

http://www.stardailynews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=62868

11049536_1100564419959103_85312720616356

hm.. hi everyone~ it's my 1st post here. ^^

waahhh it's been a long time since I visit soompi! *wave to @mrdimples* :lol:

A new cast. Model turned to actress, Stephany Lee joins YongPal. she finished her first script reading as well ^^

wonder if she will be JooWon's sister?

*waves back* welcome to this thread! :D I am surprised to see your profile pic, Superman Cha! Ha, and I thought you "changed" fandom, my bad. (*edit* pardon my lack of understanding of fangirling...I can't even fangirl one properly, so you see my utter fail in this dept?)

I have just started getting used to the new soompi...I think it's too whitewashed and kind of hard to look at for long. It's Yong Pal which got me back to posting. 

Yes, this model will be Joo Won's sister. I was wondering what happened to the role because in the more recent news, her face wasn't featured. I am guessing that it won't be a big role so doesn't matter if they get a newbie for it. 

Guest allkpoop

wonder if she will be JooWon's sister?

*waves back* welcome to this thread! :D I am surprised to see your profile pic, Superman Cha! Ha, and I thought you "changed" fandom, my bad. 

I have just started getting used to the new soompi...I think it's too whitewashed and kind of hard to look at for long. It's Yong Pal which got me back to posting. 

Yes, this model will be Joo Won's sister. I was wondering what happened to the role because in the more recent news, her face wasn't featured. I am guessing that it won't be a big role so doesn't matter if they get a newbie for it. 

Hello! I am also new here c:

Are you sure she will be playing his sister? The titles of the articles seem to imply she will be playing a doctor as well or that she will be one of the people Joo Won visits? I'm not sure either :o

I watched her in Sunam Girls with Hyeri and co. and thought she was one of the better actress of the 5 main cast. She was absolutely hilarious so I am looking forward to her taking on a more serious role in this drama.

Archived