[Upcoming Mainland Chinese drama] Braveness of the Ming/ Silk Night 锦衣夜行 (Updated with the concept video and character posters)

mimi26

Guest Eileen531

Wow, @mimi26, and @dandelionjd, what an overload of pretty you've shared.  The cast has to be one of the most attractive I've seen a long time. The feel I'm getting is mystical or magical and epic........the closest comparison i get a feeling for is Legend, The First Kings Four Gods. (hope i have that title correct). It just seems authentic and not chintzy how some sageuks can be with sets or costumes. Gosh they aren't holding back on costs it appears.

Thanks for all the weibo's links of the cast, and the bts pictures and I love that Minyoung thinks it's still May, I guess you loose yourself with the other world she is living in. I know it's going to be odd that they are filming the drama but we aren't watching it while they are still filming.......with the new rules they have to have everything approved a head of time before broadcast so they won't be running into live shoots. Something to look forward to in the new year....hehe.

@cinziar, i remember Minyoung saying you have to pay attention and listen to the actor's dialogue you are in a scene with.  (something like that it was an iv after CH).  So to me it's when the actors do that well they hit their stride and are understanding how the other actor responds to the dialogue she just spoke........    Okay, i probably blew that explanation but to me it means they are working well together and the project will be a hit. lololo 

@saved2K, right her whole staff is n the same boat having to adjust to the situation and be good representatives of the SK entertainment industry. It's as if all eyes are on them. lol 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest _lovepmy

Yes   @Eileen531 you're right. All their costumes look great. Historical dramas  usually have big budget and I'm glad production is willing to spend so much. Incidentally, I'm a big fan of chinese historical drama, have watched those I can find with english sub. They are interesting and colorful. They normally release these in DVD though not all with eng sub, hope in singapore I'll find one (they often have for chinese drama). 

Thank you @OksanaS for those beautiful stills and BTS. I really loved Min Young's expression in that still. It is so sad and tender! Hans Zhang's expression is also a bit sad. Wonder what the scene is! Some parting scene, perhaps. But I can already see the chemistry from the stills. Hehe

The Drama weibo had written that ancient costume fit MY pretty well, and her acting  was so wonderful that  it nearly moved the editor to tears. Min Young and Hans Zhang also cooperated very well. (cre: Lark)

Just a summary of her Letv interview from Lark: In the Letv video, MY said she watched  Bu  Bu Jing Xin/ "Treading On Thin Ice" when in Korea. [In response to a question about working with Hans Zhang, I think] Min Young said she was not familiar with Hans Zhang before filming, but she watched some of  his dramas, and said that the partner was very important.  She had heard from a friend that shooting in Hengdian would be hard and that she should prepare well when coming. She said the atmosphere in Hengdian is fresh, but she got tanned a lot, and advised people to use facial mask.

Bu Bu Jing Xin is one of my favourite dramas. Happy to know she watched it, perhaps to get a feel of Chinese historical time travel dramas. Seems like Min Young did her homework well before coming. Chinese time travel dramas ✔ Hans Zhang dramas ✔ Preparations for the hard filming ✔ 

@dandelionjd That is so nice of the Drama Weibo to answer you  and that too so fast. I am happy they are so responsive. With kdramas, we don't get to interact  with the production team at all. It's nice the Chinese production teams are so accessible. Thanks for all the weibos of the star. I am following some of them, will follow the others as well.

Thank you @OksanaS for those beautiful stills and BTS. I really loved Min Young's expression in that still. It is so sad and tender! Hans Zhang's expression is also a bit sad. Wonder what the scene is! Some parting scene, perhaps. But I can already see the chemistry from the stills. Hehe

The Drama weibo had written that ancient costume fit MY pretty well, and her acting  was so wonderful that  it nearly moved the editor to tears. Min Young and Hans Zhang also cooperated very well. (cre: Lark)

Just a summary of her Letv interview from Lark: In the Letv video, MY said she watched  Bu  Bu Jing Xin/ "Treading On Thin Ice" when in Korea. [In response to a question about working with Hans Zhang, I think] Min Young said she was not familiar with Hans Zhang before filming, but  she watched some of  his dramas, and said that the partner was very important.  She had heard from a friend that shooting in Hengdian would be hard and that she should prepare well when coming. She said the atmosphere in Hengdian is fresh, but she got tanned a lot, and advised people to use facial mask.

@dandelionjd That is so nice of the Drama Weibo to answer you  and that too so fast. I am happy they are so responsive. With kdramas, we don't get to interact  with the production team at all. It's nice the Chinese production teams are so accessible. Thanks for all the weibos of the star. I am following some of them, will follow the others as well.

​oh thank you so much for  translation, it's so super that she feels comfortable there, she's so bright person that can't be any problem, but it's new country and team...i'm happy that it's alright!

​oh thank you so much for  translation, it's so super that she feels comfortable there, she's so bright person that can't be any problem, but it's new country and team...i'm happy that it's alright!

Yes, I was also curious to know how she felt in the new environment. But seems like she is doing well and that her team also loves her. Since she had prepared so well for the hard filming, I think she will be okay.

@cinziar, i remember Minyoung saying you have to pay attention and listen to the actor's dialogue you are in a scene with.  (something like that it was an iv after CH).  So to me it's when the actors do that well they hit their stride and are understanding how the other actor responds to the dialogue she just spoke........    Okay, i probably blew that explanation but to me it means they are working well together and the project will be a hit. lololo 

​​@Eileen531 That was very interesting to read. Your explanation of the understanding between actors sounds legit.I remembered MY talking about that. So went back and re-read her CH interview and there she said, “When acting, the other person has to listen in order for my emotions to come out of the scene." I think, like you, that she was talking about how if her partner is good at showing reactions when she is the one saying the lines, it helps her perform better. 

Just a summary of her Letv interview from Lark: In the Letv video, MY said she watched  Bu  Bu Jing Xin/ "Treading On Thin Ice" when in Korea. [In response to a question about working with Hans Zhang, I think] Min Young said she was not familiar with Hans Zhang before filming, but she watched some of  his dramas, and said that the partner was very important.  She had heard from a friend that shooting in Hengdian would be hard and that she should prepare well when coming. She said the atmosphere in Hengdian is fresh, but she got tanned a lot, and advised people to use facial mask.

Bu Bu Jing Xin is one of my favourite dramas. Happy to know she watched it, perhaps to get a feel of Chinese historical time travel dramas. Seems like Min Young did her homework well before coming. Chinese time travel dramas ✔ Hans Zhang dramas ✔ Preparations for the hard filming ✔ 

The friend reminds me of u @rachelpark26 lol.

I'm happy if my otp (XX & XYF) have already chemistry although we have not seen them together hehehe. Yes, i agree with u c-production is different with k-production. 

@mimi26 i've watched MV of BBJX, interesting. It seems it turned out to be makjang at the end cause RX died (?) (Qing dinasty), but i'll watch it hehehe.

Guest Eileen531

@mimi26, aww thank you for finding that.  Yes, it helps with her emotions to see the actor reacting to her lines so you have to listen well......and vice versa.  Funny if we think back to the article that @dandelionjd posted by Minyoung's college professor, he spoke highly of how well Minyoung listens.  So i guess she puts extra effort into the specific quality while in a production and notices when it is reciprocated.

Thanks for the pictures and bts and translations. I want to check out that chinese drama that Minyoung watched to get an idea of their productions and a look at HZ, hehe.  It sounds like the Drama weibo is to see Int'l fans excited about the drama......which is the point, right?  If we are interested then countries will buy it and that is good marketing.

I love hearing how they are so pleased with Minyoung. Even with the language barrier they are listening to her dialogue and getting/understanding the emotions she is delivering.  :)

@mimi26 i've watched MV of BBJX, interesting. It seems it turned out to be makjang at the end cause RX died (?) (Qing dinasty), but i'll watch it hehehe.

Andwae!!! :crazy: ​I don't think you can call BBJX makjang. It is a tragic love story, but far from makjang, if you use the term makjang to refer to outlandish plot developments towards the end just to create some drama. Tragedy is in-built into the BBJX situation especially when you are a time-traveller trying to change history and then get caught up emotionally with the movers and shakers of history. 

Ruoxi does die, but it is after many years in the Forbidden City. It is the only way she can come back to her modern day self. There is enough in the plot line to make sense of why she does die. It is a gradual sickness, not like she one day gets cancer or anything like that. :)

Chinese drama production staff is friendlier than korean ones, I have observed, though Healer team was pretty friendly.

@Eileen531 BBJX doesn't have HZ. But it is definitely worth checking out. It is a well-made time-travel drama which while it uses the time-travel convention, tries to do justice to the complexities of the period involved, polygamy, political intrigue and all, especially when it clashes with the modern sensibilities of the 21st century time-traveller. Most of the characters are grey-shaded. So there are some things that seem unpalatable to us as a modern day audience, but we can understand why the characters do that keeping the times they lived in in mind. But it has a beautiful love story, a strong female protagonist and is quite light-hearted in the beginning. It is kind of open-ended once the time-traveller returns to her period. It can be a bit slow for people who are not used to more complex dramas that take their time setting up major plot lines and characters. I think BOTM is going to be quite different in tone and temper, so I am sure one can enjoy BOTM just like that without any outside reference.

Ji Gang a.k.a Shawn Wei wishing us all a pleasant week-end!

62a25a0ejw1essz18q2v4j20hs0hstai.jpg

cre: as tagged

Btw ensuns were trolling Min Young for forwarding the concept video with her 'yay' one day late after all the excitement had died down over it. LOL Poor Min Young. Since she is still in May in her head, we have to give her some extra time. Ensuns were saying that Min Young is always late to the party. But this is the first time Min Young is using the forward option on weibo, so bravo Youngie!!! You will get there on time eventually! :lol:

New article on BOTM posters on cfensi: https://cfensi.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/the-braveness-of-the-ming-releases-stills-and-promo-clip/

Guest Eileen531

Thanks @mimi26, for the clarification. When i read the translation and it said Minyoung answered a question about working with her co-star and the name of that drama came up I assumed she watched it for him but now more so for the type of time travel production.  To get a feel I suppose for the way they do things.  I wonder why is it that the production crew from China are more friendlier than the S. Koreans..........are they just grumpier or what.......i don't get it.  Or is it status and respect level type of thing that the crew, staff are at a different level than the directors and actors.......? I still want to check this drama out anyway, it sound great.  It can hold me over till 2016. I haven't watched anything since February. 

Aww... we finally see Shawn Wei!  Funny in my younger days the spelling of Shawn was for the female version and Sean was the male version. These days it's so different. Very nice of him to wish us a nice weekend. lolol

@mimi26 hahahaha, so it isn't makjang, i only watch MV so just conclude it's makjang. U do make curious. :sweatingbullets:

The link of that blog , i just catch it's about pink, men and shine lol (i want to find more about Ming dinasty after read that blog)

From the fan's story (about minyoung's May haha), it seems she has hectic schedule on BOTM or enjoys her time there.

@Eileen531 unnie try falling for innocence, it's cliche but cliche in another level (the leading man is prince hodong in PJMG).

Guest _lovepmy

This is out of topic while waiting for BOTM updates.  For those who haven't seen chinese drama and would like to see and have a feel of the production, you may try Down with love. It's a taiwanese modern drama but china and taiwan have similar production setting. It's kinda cute story, Historical drama are often long and can be boring on some part, so if you 're not a fan of historical drama, its difficult to finish it. You may also check out their NG videos so will see their interactions with co-stars. I find that they are more relax and not afraid of dating scandal.I hope BOTM also have the same atmosphere.

When I was in Beijing, I found that some youngsters can speak little english. I hope BOTM cast can also speak even little english. I believe some in the production team can. 

BBJX is not makjang. Its a little funny in the first few episodes, though heavy drama towards the end. 

Guo Zi Qian weibo update

4f62566djw1eslbftkwxij20qo0zkthv.jpg

收工,赶紧变回 (Call it a day, and quickly turned back)

Cecilia Song Yan Fei weibo update

723172d3jw1essyr8dv4gj20qo0zk4qp.jpg

各位早安 (Good morning to you)

When I was in Beijing, I found that some youngsters can speak little english. I hope BOTM cast can also speak even little english. I believe some in the production team can. 

​@_lovepmy Do u understand chinese?

BTW thanks for the reference mimi26 and _lovepmy :D

@OksanaS I think he's ↓ not HZ but Shawn Wei

11351120_840173142696485_824624701876603 cto.

cr. @化妆师-Si (she's makeup artist)

6ae82b39jw1esovq7ra12j20dc0hsdhl.jpg

6ae82b39jw1esovq74xzoj20dc0hsjte.jpg

6ae82b39jw1esovqdygb1j20da0hs3z8.jpg

Character Arc of Xie Yu Fei (Park Min Young) in Braveness of the Ming (Novel)

Embedded image permalink

Xie Yu Fei (Park Min Young), formerly called Xie Lu Ti, her nickname is Xie Xie, fiancee of Yang Xu, member of Family Xie, Chen County .Her family’s fortunes declined when she grew up. After her parents' death, her brother's legs were crushed and so he could not continue his official career. Hence Xie Yu Fei had to face the pressures of life from an early age. She learned many skills from her friend's mother, and even fooled many adults with her smartness/intelligence. She supported the family on her thin shoulders. In Beking, she met Xia Xun (Hans Zhang), who was posing as Yang Xu (her fiancé). They were not familiar with each other then. After that Xia Xun discovered her identity when they met again in Xie Chuan 'Zhong's house.

Later when Xia Xun had to deal with the Mongolians, he had to rely on Xie Yu Fei's wonderful acting to get to know their purposes. And Xia Xun when he took the help of Xie gave her a promise to do whatever she would ask of him in the future. When playing a trick in FengYang, Xie Yu Fei accidently uncovered another crook's trick. This crook’s name was Wan Song Ling. Xie was forced to co-operate with him to attack Xia Xun. Then Xie came to know that Xia Xun whom she met in Peking was her fiancé whom she had always been looking for.  Thanks to Xie Yu Fei's letter, Xia Xun learned the tricks of the crooks and captured all of them.

Xie Yu Fei is not only self-respecting, but is also filled with self-contempt. In order to keep the integrity of her family, and sustain the situation that she made up in front of her brother, she planned with her friend to force Xia Xun to break off their engagement. She mentioned to Xia Xun that this was what she wanted from him as per his promise earlier.

Xia Xun knew what was in Xie's mind and had developed a sincere love for her. He agreed to her condition, but put forward another condition that Xie would not get married with any other person in the next 3 years.  

Wan Song Ling (the crook they had caught) escaped from the prison and wanted to avenge himself, he was exposed before he could retaliate. Xie Yu Fei schemed with her teacher, they made Wan go bankrupt and become a fugitive. 

Xie Yu  Fei once she came into contact with Xia Xun started falling for him.

In ShanDong, Xie Yu Fei did matchmaking for her friend Nan Feifei with Xi Men Jing, and then she went to Qing Zhou to meet Xia Xun, and help him get married with Peng Zi Qi (Peng Zi Qi was Xia Xun’s bodyguard and good at Kung fu). 

Another baddie called Wang Yi Yuan wanted to take revenge on Xia Xun.  He found out the intimate relationship between Xia and Xie. So he kidnapped Xie Yu Fei during Xia Xun's wedding night and forced Xia to come alone to meet him. 

Xie Yu Fei tricked Wang Yi Yuan and escaped. Wang Yi Yuan was killed by Xia and Peng Zi Qi. Nan Feifei's mother was worried about her daughter, and went to Shan Dong with Xie. She blamed Xie Yu Fei for doing the matchmaking for her daughter. When they came back to Jin Ling, Xie Yu Fei met Li Jing Long (nephew of the emperor). He proposed to Xie in the street, but Xie declined his proposal. Then Xia Xun arrived and announced that Xie was his fiancee. They got engaged instantly which made Li Jing Long develop a grudge against Xia Xun.

Translation credit: lark, weibo

Source

Note: This is just the character arc in the novel. They might change many things in the drama. For instance, since there will be no polygamy in the drama, Xia Xun may not marry Peng Zi Qi.

Looks like Xie Yu Fei, while she may know a trick or two, is not skilled in martial arts as we initially thought. The knife in the poster kind of indicates that she can take care of herself and in the plot of the novel too, she escapes on her own from the villain's clutches. I also wonder who Shawn Wei's character Ji Gang is going to fall for. Is it Xie Yu Fei or Peng Zi Qi since both might develop feelings for our hero. More chances are that it is gonna be Xie Yu Fei.

I also wonder if this one is going to be more picaresque than historical since there seem to be a couple of baddies popping up now and then to give trouble to our hero and heroine. But then these could be just sub-plots and the main plot could be the hero helping the emperor.

Guest _lovepmy

@dandelionjd  I can only understand a little mandarin... other dialects like Cantonese I can't. And I cannot read Chinese characters.:phew:

wow, we're getting more photos today. I wish the cast will keep updating their weibo acct so we can see more BTS.

I'm currently watching Zhang Han drama "A different kind of pretty boy". It's a sci-fi drama so may not be to everyone's taste. But I like his acting there. He's really good.

Archived