Khloé Kardashian Angers Followers With 'Habibi' Instagram Photo

sugarplum892

Khloé Kardashian (Instagram)

Cultural faux pas? Khloé Kardashian is currently in Dubai, and while visiting the famed city in the United Arab Emirates, the reality star, 30, is seemingly trying to adhere to its conservative style.

On Tuesday, May 26, Kardashian donned a niqab and hijab — garments worn by women in the Muslim community to cover their head and face.

“Habibi Love,” she captioned the Instagram image, which sparked a series of angry comments.

“Women getting killed and beaten up for wearing the niqab, but you keep pretending it’s a fashion accessory, the disrespect,” one commenter wrote.

“I have never been more offended in my whole entire life,” another added. “My sister wears the niqab and she gets vilified daily. you can wear it and it gets sexualised and praised. i am deeply offended and was a fan of yours, i am disgusted. “

Others speculated that Kardashian had confused the word “habibi” — an Arabic word meaning “my baby” or “my darling” — with the word “hajib.” Though many of the comments were negative, Kardashian got support from fans who thought the on-off girlfriend of Muslim rapper French Montana was attempting to be culturally sensitive by dressing appropriately.

“She [is] not wearing it as a fashion statement!” one commenter wrote. “She is in Dubai where it is respectful to cover up! And her boyfriend is a Muslim so she is probably just trying to make a good impression.”

Source

Archived