Photoshop Tutorials And Requests

Guest jasonyc

I will punch you right in the kidney.

I think that's quite unnecessary. You didn't have to respond to the request, or if you really had to, you could have just directed the member to read the first post. I understand that members sometimes can be very unclear in their requests, do not always refer to the first post for tutorials, or are impatient and want to instantly master some technique that they've seen used on other graphics. But this thread was set up to help those who have difficulties with Photoshop, so if you're that unwilling to help or if you're too frustrated by the unclear requests, I'm sure someone else can help instead. If you're going to be this upset everytime you run into a request you do not like, then people won't come here for help.

A note to requesters: Please READ the first post and scroll through for tutorials that have been put up by soompiers. I think it's only fair that you look through what is available and follow the simple guidelines as set out, so that advanced PS-ers can better help you with your requests. Working with Photoshop is something that requires patience, so don't make unreasonable demands and be very clear in what you want to learn, and don't get upset if you can't master a technique overnight. This thread was not set up just so you can make requests like "how do I filter the way she did it in this graphic?", so use this thread if you genuinely need help, not because of any other reason.

Thanks everyone for understanding. :)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dee1101 Thanks for that tutorial. I'm sure it'll help some beginners. (Editing the 3rd index now...)

A note to requesters: Please READ the first post and scroll through for tutorials that have been put up by soompiers. I think it's only fair that you look through what is available and follow the simple guidelines as set out, so that advanced PS-ers can better help you with your requests. Working with Photoshop is something that requires patience, so don't make unreasonable demands and be very clear in what you want to learn, and don't get upset if you can't master a technique overnight. This thread was not set up just so you can make requests like "how do I filter the way she did it in this graphic?", so use this thread if you genuinely need help, not because of any other reason.

Thanks for that too. I think after over 150 pages of people asking the same question, all we are really asking is that requesters take the time to at least read what we've already posted ad infinitum.

Guest mr. lovely

COOL GLOWING WHITE LINES (aka filtering coughcoughcough) TUTORIAL.

Before I start, I will warn you that if you rely on "filtering" for all your graphic needs, you will get nowhere. No, it will not help you "master" Photoshop. If you don't try to experiment and expect to learn everything from tutorials like this, tough luck, that's not going to work. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just telling the truth. ;D

1. Take your image, and make any adjustments you need to (desaturation, cropping, etc.). If you choose not to desaturate your image, I suggest you play with levels (Image > Adjustments > Levels) or Selective coloring (Image > Adjustments > Selective coloring) to make your image's colors uniform. That way, you'll have a color scheme to work with.

2. Click on the gradient tool, and have your settings matched to mine:

fdgadfgdfg.jpg

(of course, it doesn't have to be orange. It can be any color you want, that hopefully matches your image's colors. However, black must always be the other color in the gradient, or else this won't work.)

3. Make a new layer (Ctrl+N) over your image, and click and drag your cursor in the center or the place you want all the "filtering" to go. Keep on clicking and dragging in the same place. You should get something like this:

girl36rz.jpg

4. Set that layer's mode to Screen. You should get something like this:

gradienttt.jpg

5. Oh yay, this is where the cool glowy lines come in. Make a new layer (Ctrl+N), fill it with black, and go to Filter > Render > Lens Flare. In your settings box, there should be something that says "Flare center", and a preview of your image. Drag the small plus sign so that it's somewhere in the upper middle part of the image. The brightness should be somewhere around 90%, and the Lens Type should be 105mm prime. Click "OK". You should get something like this:

twoo.jpg

6. Now go to Filter > Distort > Twirl, and set the angel to -417 degrees. Click okay, and you should get something like this:

twirlll.jpg

7. You'll notice that the lens flare looks kind of grainy, so I'm going to run a Gaussian Blur with a radius of around 2 pixels. Then, change the layer mode from "Normal" to "Screen".

hahaha.jpg

8. Now, go to Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation. Have the "Colorize" box checked. Your saturation setting should be around 50, your hue setting is up to you, and your lightness setting should be 0. Click "OK". Then, set the layer mode from Normal to Screen, and you should get something like this:

nooobs.jpg

10. The lens flare does look a little out of place, so go to Free Transform (Ctrl+T), move it around, and rotate it so it fits in better with the focal point of the image. Press enter, and you should get something like this:

noooooo.jpg

11. Repeat steps 5 - 10 and experiment with flare brightness, twirl degrees, color, and stuff like that to make every one of your glowy lines different. It'd be best if all of them were in one place, instead of scattered throughout the whole image, to maintain neatness. I got this:

almostfinalll.jpg

If you're asking yourself "OMFG! HOW COME MINE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT?!?!?!?", then there you go. "Filtering" is something you use your own skill and design instinct to create. You can probably create the same effects as starlette* or Sahranghae012 if you experimented enough, but it's how you arrange it and make it look good that really tests how "good" you are.

12. After step 11, you're on your own. Experiment with your own techniques, and see what you get. Through experimenting, I created this:

haahahahafinalll.jpg

I will gladly answer any questions you may have, but only if it is about the tutorial. How I got those sparkles on my final graphic and stuff are not related to the tutorial. Besides, I'm sure there are tons of tutorials about that if you look through the index. You are welcome to ask other members, but most likely, they will direct you to the index. No, it's not that I don't want to help you or whatever, but I just don't want to answer a question that's been asked billions of times for the last 50 pages. If you've looked through all 3 indexes and can not find the effect you're looking for, PM me and I'd be happy to help you. However, there are some things I'd like to keep secret, so I probably won't answer things very specifically.

Please do not redistribute this anywhere. Thank youuuu :)

(credits: Soompi stock thread)

Hopefully, this answers a lot of people's questions. Happy photoshopping ^^

Guest espèce*

^^ I think we're almost done with all the "filtering" techniques.

Aren't we? ...let's see...we have light stocks&brushes left I think.

Cool tutorial you put together there. I think many will be happy.

- apoptos dolor

Guest Muddie Murda
I think that's quite unnecessary. You didn't have to respond to the request, or if you really had to, you could have just directed the member to read the first post. I understand that members sometimes can be very unclear in their requests, do not always refer to the first post for tutorials, or are impatient and want to instantly master some technique that they've seen used on other graphics. But this thread was set up to help those who have difficulties with Photoshop, so if you're that unwilling to help or if you're too frustrated by the unclear requests, I'm sure someone else can help instead. If you're going to be this upset everytime you run into a request you do not like, then people won't come here for help.

Yes, we've NEVER directed a member to the front page ever before. This thread is to help people, but we can't help those who can't help themselves. Even the topic description says to see page 1. If they can't read that, then I'm sure they didn't even read Jason's response of the punch in the kidney (hahaha). Now that you, a dear moderator, beg for the requesters to read the first post and scroll through the tutorials, I'm sure we will no longer ever have these problems of anyone ever repeated the same questions or asking for something that's already on the first page, ever, ever again. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Guest Muddie Murda

^ Do you have Adobe Imageready? You can open it up in Imageready and then save it as a gif. :D I believe people have been saying that the new PS CS3 has imageready combined together in one program now. So maybe you can open it in photoshop too if you have CS3.

Yes, we've NEVER directed a member to the front page ever before. This thread is to help people, but we can't help those who can't help themselves. Even the topic description says to see page 1. If they can't read that, then I'm sure they didn't even read Jason's response of the punch in the kidney (hahaha). Now that you, a dear moderator, beg for the requesters to read the first post and scroll through the tutorials, I'm sure we will no longer ever have these problems of anyone ever repeated the same questions or asking for something that's already on the first page, ever, ever again. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

It doesn't matter that they didn't read Jason's response, it remains that it was unnecessary to make that sort of remark. Plenty of people do not read topic descriptions, just as they do not read rules or the FAQ. But perhaps it was because you didn't bother to direct people to read the first post that some didn't know it is regularly updated with stuff. This helping thing goes both ways, both sides need to compromise and understand how best to utilise the stuff provided. If you don't want to help or are frustrated by people who cannot read, then let others extend that helping hand. There's no need to get snippy.

I think enough has been said on this matter, so let's just move on. Tailo, if you need help updating the tutorials list, let me know.

Guest love<3changmin

question

album15copyap5nv3.png

credits sunny604@ambn forums (alaina)

how do we do the white round brush to look neon-ish like that?

and not look just plain white

thank you

Guest Muddie Murda
It doesn't matter that they didn't read Jason's response, it remains that it was unnecessary to make that sort of remark. Plenty of people do not read topic descriptions, just as they do not read rules or the FAQ. But perhaps it was because you didn't bother to direct people to read the first post that some didn't know it is regularly updated with stuff. This helping thing goes both ways, both sides need to compromise and understand how best to utilise the stuff provided. If you don't want to help or are frustrated by people who cannot read, then let others extend that helping hand. There's no need to get snippy.

I think enough has been said on this matter, so let's just move on. Tailo, if you need help updating the tutorials list, let me know.

Can you help me w/ the FAQ? :D I need to go through the whole thread and collect the data.

QUESTION

How can I reduce the size of an icon without losing th quality of it using PaintShop 7 ?

--angel

Well, what I always do is to resize it, and then sharpen it.

Effects > Sharpen > Sharpen

question

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6007/al...5copyap5nv3.png

credits sunny604@ambn forums (alaina)

how do we do the white round brush to look neon-ish like that?

and not look just plain white

thank you

Make a new layer, then brush on the circle. Then right click on that layer on the layer panel, and go to blending options. Then on the left side, go to "Outter Glow" and select the color you'd like, then mess around with the slidings so you can know what each does.

Here's a cap from my "Glowing" tutorial:

glowhair5.gif

There's something on exactly what the icon did, if you wanted the circles like that, located in the thread somewhere.

You can always google as well. :D

Any confusion, ask away! ^_^

If the icon is 100x100 .. How can I resize it ? And to what size should I resize it to?

Sorry if I'm bothering you, but I don't know how to use PS that much.

--angel

Guest Muddie Murda

If the icon is 100x100 .. How can I resize it ? And to what size should I resize it to?

Sorry if I'm bothering you, but I don't know how to use PS that much.

--angel

Oh, are you trying to go from 100x100 to something bigger? Or something bigger to 100x100?

You resize it to whatever size you'd like. But the usual size for a forum avatar is 100x100.

Avatar/icon for MSN or AIM and such, are different sizes.

If you're new and still don't know where some tools/items are located, the resizing located:

Image > Resize

Make sure to check the boxes "Resize all layers" and "Maintain aspect ratio." So your images don't go out of proportion.

You can also use the crop tool to make it a perfect square if it's not already.

:D

Guest Muddie Murda

^ Um...you don't have to. lol I don't know. You were asking how to resize something. :D

But if it's 100x100 already, don't have to resize. If you just want to make the quality better (after resizing from something large to something smaller), I just recommend you to sharpen it a bit. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I think Muddie Murda has a more pressing task. But later on, when I actually organize the list, maybe I'll need some help.

--> @Muddie Murda I suppose this is a FAQ-like question. One down.

^ Thank you so much :)

What I meant is how to reduce the avatar size from above 40kb to 40kb or less.

--angel

Guest love<3changmin
Can you help me w/ the FAQ? :D I need to go through the whole thread and collect the data.

Make a new layer, then brush on the circle. Then right click on that layer on the layer panel, and go to blending options. Then on the left side, go to "Outter Glow" and select the color you'd like, then mess around with the slidings so you can know what each does.

Any confusion, ask away! ^_^

thank you Muddie Murdai'll ask again if i dont understand (;

Archived