So many YAI interviews after his meeting with the press yesterday.

Too many of them for me to translate.

Just some of the interesting things related to SFD I read (not a real translation, more like some points I read)

1. They didn't try to make YBW better the guy in history or change history. They have been careful in their interpretation since he's a well known historical figure. The YBW YAI portrayed was different from the ones before, he tried to show the weak side of YBW who killed so many. And it has become his new fav role (before it was his role in the Throne). This role is the most multi-dimensional one he did and he experienced growth in this drama.

2. In the script, it didn't ask YAI to cry when he killed Poeun, but his cried when he did that scene. YBW is not a bad guy, he was just required to kill because of politics, so he was confused at that time, but he became more calm when he killed JDJ, he knew he needed to bear everything on his own when he turned around.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, soshifan09 said:

Yeah i'm so curious about lady min background and history too..so little info about her..maybe becos i'm a big fan of gong seungyeon, i'm really interested about her character in this drama.. she did a great job potray as queen and bangwon's wife..

Tbh at first i just watch this drama becos i wanna watch seungyeon's part but then i just can't help to follow the whole series..this is the first sageuk drama i ever watch and the storyline and plot is soo good..and the casts also did a great job to potray the their characters..what an awesome drama..

And one more thing, i fall in love with all female characters in this drama..all of them is just so great, independant and fierce..start from bonyi, yeonhee, lady min, chuk sagwang, gapboon etc etc..even choyoung and yeonyang are great women too as a villain..

....hope this helps with your curiosity : http://thetalkingcupboard.com/joseon/royal-ladies-of-joseon-dynasty/#wongyeong

I had one question though. Why would Lady Min object to Yi Do being the crown prince? Yi Do was her biological son too.

• Like 4

From the drama's perspective, I felt that BW was always doomed to follow his dark path due to JDJ's own inflexibility in his philosophy. JDJ's insistence on the point that the royal family could not be involved in politics meant that he would always end up clashing with BW which is ironic, since their political ideologies were almost identical. And this was despite almost everyone else acknowledging that BW was probably the most ideal heir to JDJ's vision. Ultimately, JDJ's belief in the fallibility of human nature, and thus his refusal to have any royal dabble in politics, even one as qualified as BW, was the catalyst that pushed BW over the edge.

One wonders how things would have been if only JDJ was more trusting of the innate goodness that I believe resided within a younger BW, and provided the guidance that BW craved for rather than condemning him wholesale. You could say that for all of JDJ's political genius, he was a terrible man manager.

I also thought that BW's selection of Yi Do as crown prince was his own personal affirmation to his belief that the best person should always take the job, something that he would have felt had been denied him by JDJ and YSG. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, nevill said:

showing her love for YAI - SSK really enjoyed working with him

Why couldn't they have put just ONE scene like this @ the end? I think whenever I feel depressed, I need to see this picture!!!

8 minutes ago, Tamad said:

From the drama's perspective, I felt that BW was always doomed to follow his dark path due to JDJ's own inflexibility in his philosophy. JDJ's insistence on the point that the royal family could not be involved in politics meant that he would always end up clashing with BW which is ironic, since their political ideologies were almost identical. And this was despite almost everyone else acknowledging that BW was probably the most ideal heir to JDJ's vision. Ultimately, JDJ's belief in the fallibility of human nature, and thus his refusal to have any royal dabble in politics, even one as qualified as BW, was the catalyst that pushed BW over the edge.

One wonders how things would have been if only JDJ was more trusting of the innate goodness that I believe resided within a younger BW, and provided the guidance that BW craved for rather than condemning him wholesale. You could say that for all of JDJ's political genius, he was a terrible man manager.

I also thought that BW's selection of Yi Do as crown prince was his own personal affirmation to his belief that the best person should always take the job, something that he would have felt had been denied him by JDJ and YSG. 

I could not have said it any better. You have encapsulated my thoughts on exactly what JDJ did wrong. The younger BW hero-worshiped him. Think about what they could have accomplished if JDJ saw other shades besides Black and White

• Like 7

Finally I watch last episode with translation. I want to say the writers do great job, and they choose the best path for BY in this situation. I was curious for begining what they do with her in the end- if they kill her or they make her leave. I didn't see her as a concubine BW for beginning...

I started watch this drama because GSY and YAI too:DOf course I was little upset that LM don't have much sceentime but I think In this history with that a such strong characters there wasn't much place for her to grow and shine directly. But I was proud see her in this drama, she do really good job;)

I read  some international fans comments who doesn't know anything about history or they just shipp really strong BY with BW, that sudden appear LM was for them shock. I think some of them concentrate too much for love story and they didn't see bigger story in this drama. I feel like in the second part drama, writers were also really carefull with romance scene between BY and BW. I also read some fans comments that they like LM, so they don't want her fight with BY. I don't know how writers created characters, if they do that early or they something change along with episodes...? But in the end LM wasn't jealous (so there wasn't love triangle like some of us think), she appear when was time to persuade BW or when the time was to support him with his action. That was her role, small but somehow important too. And I think for her ending was the cruel. In this drama BW ends lonely but he met the taste of love in his life. That's sad but Queen doesn't even have that. For her in the first place was the family and her husband kill the most of them...She become more lonely and unhappy than him.

• Like 7

Guest caramelcake

First of all, what a very joyful ride! This is my very first time following a current historical show with so many insights here and there (I can't thank you guys enough *sending virtual hugs*)

I probably came too late to the farewell party in this thread, but let me say this: the finale is great and satisfying! I can't describe how, but that's what I feel rn.

I love this finale more than I thought I would. Maybe that's because I didn't read much any related history toward this show, to avoid spoilers (as much as possible, lol), or that's because I didn't watch TWDR as well (yet). Thus, I could appreciate the finale so so much. The directing/cinematography was superb, especially the fighting scene. I was convinced that this episode's quality is much better than the past three episodes. and it equals a movie like. The music/back sound was really fitting. and the writing is consistently good. All the characters (especially the female ones) are the best thing I've ever got after living in kdrama land for years. (I might sound like a broken record if I start talking about the acting here, so I skipped it haha)

My ultimate concerns were solved nicely. The romance was bittersweet, but everything else was really awesome. The 'bromance' still there between BW and MH, or even MH-BJ *sobs* BY was very much alive. JDJ was still honored. As for BJ, I'll just imagine him living well in more peaceful place.

SFD is one of the most awesome sageuks I've ever watched despite its flaws and all.

(p.s BY-BW love story is the most mature ,the most epic, and the most bittersweet ever. If only there was any spin off for this two alone...)

credit : pop!gasa

Eunha (GFRIEND) – Don’t Come As A Goodbye (이별로 오지마) Six Flying Dragons OST

The clock made two full turns
Nothing’s different about this day
But like a picture with no time reference
I’m standing still
When I felt a little comfortable
Was that me deceiving myself?

Tears suddenly fell
I think I’m still waiting for you

Don’t go any farther, don’t come as a goodbye
Tell me to wait just a little bit
So my heart, that is only filled with you, won’t cry
Look back at me, look back at me

I only looked at you
So I couldn’t see the goodbye
It was covered by the familiar sight of your back
So I didn’t know how far you went

Just like when you used to want me crazily
I know, my heart won’t forget you
Even if another love comes
It’ll just be a way to remember you
Because there will be no one to replace you

• Like 6

Guest caramelcake

Backreading is really worth to do in this thread. Always LOVE all your insights!! Thank you! 

Yes, this drama is all about metaphor. and it is so beautifully shown. 

On more personal level, SFD makes me have a really deep thought toward the history in the past (especially for my country), how much we can learn from it,  what are our contribution we can serve to our country starting from now onward, and how we visualize ourselves with the image we want to be recorded in history when we are no longer in this world. 

I knew before that what's written in the history is not always true, and this drama alone has fictional parts in it, but I've learned how to view all historical figures, and historical events differently. 

I'm still coping with the withdrawal, so by reading your thoughts and writing this now make me weepy. #help

Reading a translated interview of YAI in Chinese, this part seems interesting and related to SFD, so i am translating this into English. 

Translated article in Chinese http://chinese.joins.com/big5/article.do?method=detail&art_id=149637

Edited after finding the original article in Korean http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB11199359

What is the "righteous cause" in YBW's dream? (sorry I forgot how it was translated into English in the drama before, as I watched with Chinese subs, and they are the same words in Chinese and Korean. I remember Sambong mentioned this term in the drama.)

YAI: In the beginning it was to establish Joseon and for the good of the people, but it changed and became to be more for himself in the later half. Everything should be done be me. His need to hold on to power and his own vested interests is no different from the "righteous cause" in regular politicians. If YBW was doing politics in present day Korea, then he would probably do well even when he was often spoken ill of by the public.

“처음에는 조선 건국과 백성을 위한 진정한 정치였는데, 후반에는 그보다 ‘자기 자신’이 돼버렸다. 뭐든 내가 해야 한다는 거다. 자기가 권력을, 기득권을 움켜쥐겠다는 것은 여느 정치인의 대의와 다르지 않은 것 같다. 그런데 만약 이방원이 지금 한국 사회에서 정치를 한다면, 굉장히 욕 먹으면서도 굉장히 잘할 것 같다.”

• Like 8

They just uploaded a compilation of BTS from Episode 1 to 50. (BTS that wasn't uploaded before). This makes me miss the actors, actresses and drama staff even more. It's so funny, and it's nice to see all of them have such a good time together. Be sure to watch this, everyone~

2016.03.25 (New) BTS Compilation Episodes 1-50

Link to watch: http://tvcast.naver.com/v/805119

SouKfQWg.jpg

Also a video clip of Yoo Ah In, Shin Se Kyung, and Jung Yoo Mi when they arrived at the wrap-up party a few nights ago.

• Like 12

How does one say goodbye to an epic 50-episode drama, one which took up almost 6 months of my viewing life? It has taken me quite a while to process my emotions - elation, numbness, sadness... and work through the sense of bereavement which has steadily accumulated over the past two weeks, as we went through so much brutality... the loss of so many characters, starting from JYG... then YH, JDJ... young Bang Seok, Nam Eun.... CSG, GSM... However, far more than the deaths,  what was most devastating is seeing the irrevocable destruction of the camaraderie and friendship that had bound all of them together from the beginning - the irretrievable breakdown in YBJ and MH's friendship, the accelerated loss of YBW's humanity, the killing of his brother by his own hand, culminating in the irrevocably broken relationship between YSG and YBW, BJ's impotent grief as he buries YH, YBW's aching inner monologue with YG, shaken by what he has done, but gone too far to turn back... will not turn back.

SFD is not a perfect drama, certainly with its weak moments... in particular, its representation of Moomyung as an ongoing threat was never convincing, even post-annihilation, unlike Milbon whose persistent ominous presence in Tree never fails to strike fear and dread. However, its characterisations and character growth are utterly spot on... and what an incredibly exhilarating journey it has been to witness their entire arc over 50 episodes. 

JDJ's death was hard to watch... thinking of all the wasted opportunities and potential, if only JDJ and YBW could have worked hand in hand. Unfortunately, as fate would have it, while bound by the same ideals, their very different positions meant that this partnership could not work... and ultimately JDJ met his end just as he lived, a great man who never compromised his dignity nor his values. His legacy to his followers not to fight on behalf of one who is dead... lost because of YBJ's willful determination for revenge... was infinitely tragic, knowing that the dark path of Milbon down the road, was never one that he intended. I shall forever remember his inspirational speech on Jungryunam cliff, just as I will his final words to YBW... "A dead man cannot be a leader for this era."... "I am exhausted, Bang Won."... a man who accepted his fate with grace and dignity, who lost his life, but was undefeated in spirit to the end.

It was equally hard to see YSG at the end of this journey, a man destroyed by the breakdown of his family ripped apart by infighting, and the death of the man he esteemed above all else, a far cry from the great general who unflinchingly protected his people at personal cost. I recall JDJ's words to him when he tried to convince him to become king using the word 國 (country)... that in the same way that he would protect anyone who is within his fence and consider them his family, he should extend that fence to encompass the entire nation and protect them as well. How heartbreaking then that ultimately, with his ascent to the throne, the price he paid was seeing his own once-close-knit family turn against one another, brother against brother even unto death. As he held his sword to YBW, I was reminded of the man who single-handedly stormed Dohwa mansion for that same son, and my heart broke for the relationship that is destroyed beyond repair.

With YBJ, we see the devastating effect of being forever entrenched in regret - from that terrible day of his youth, even to the end of his days in Tree. He suffered great tragedy throughout his life, and while he enjoyed brief reprieve and achieved greatness in terms of fame and prowess, ultimately, he could not rise above the guilt of being unable to protect those he love, and that saw him defeated in spirit. Unlike his sister who found purpose in her own life, his humble hopes and dreams were pinned on one person, and when she died, he faded away as well, a shell of what he could have been.

I mourned for the loss of MH's wide-eyed idealism where YBW is concerned, just as I hurt for the latter's desperate fear of losing MH's esteem, yet could no more stop it from happening. It was heartbreakingly ironic that MH was the one who first believed in him, in turn giving birth to his dream, but his very same single-minded approach to realising that ambition meant the loss of the one who triggered it in the first place. Prior to the finale, even as we see MH gain his dragon wings at the 11th hour of Ep49, I wondered how MH would rationalise staying with YBW after all he had seen, everything that went against the grain of who he personally is at the core. The finale gave me a satisfying answer, knowing that MH left him after all, and steadfastly refused to serve him to the end, staying true to his own conscience. And that finally, his return to court was in the service of one whom he finally could and did dedicate his entire life to. 

So much has been said so eloquently about BY and YBW's love, and I can add no more to it, save the poignant symbolism of the hairpin and her hair in the style of a married woman's. BY's presence has always been a steady one throughout the entire drama... with no overreaching highs and lows. However, exactly because of this, she is the epitome of what remains unchanging, no matter the political landscape... the people. She embodies the hopes and dreams of the common man... and remind us that they do matter in the large scheme of things, and that while lacking in individual power, their lives at the whim of those in authority, they are the ones who remain long after kings and dynasties are gone. Ultimately, I love how BY never compromised on her principles... and even in the face of the man she loves to the day she dies, her choice is always the greater good over her own personal one, the people who looked to her outweighing the man who loves her. So while she lived in loneliness for the rest of her days, her life was a fulfilled, contented one... and she would live to see the day when her ahjussi's one regret is fulfilled by BW's son. 

YBW... ultimately this entire drama belongs to him - charting his gradual transformation from the wide-eyed idealistic boy who had always harboured a dark side, into the ruthless man who took the throne against the odds. The drama does not hold back in showcasing his brutality nor does it make any excuses for them, yet fear him or root for him, YBW is a charismatic, vividly drawn character who challenges the status quo and feeds into his hunger for power, the need to never be helpless again. He finally commands absolute power, but in the process of doing so, loses the three people he has ever truly loved - Young Gyu who died, unquestioningly loyal to the last, MH who left him out of disillusionment, and BY, who left to protect her people. And it is exactly in his stance with regards to the latter two that we see his true capacity to love... setting them free to lead the lives they wish. I love too, that in the stirrings of his future choice of Yi Do as crown prince, we are shown that his decision is driven by more than mere pragmatism, but that this act is the ultimate tribute to the man who spawned these ideals, and the woman who epitomised the undying spirit of the people.

So back to my question. How do I say goodbye to SFD? Perhaps it is an impossibility, for certainly each and every character, brought to life so vividly by their incredible cast, has indelibly marked their place in my heart. However, this one scene in the finale, while minor, is the one that had me chuckling and loving the most, because it marks the beginning of a beautiful relationship that would span 30 years.... and through it, makes the parting of this drama less painful for me, knowing that we will be brought full circle and be reunited with them again in Tree...

xXQC-blyX7miwiyML73d49eKZ73kTBmI2EbMylt0qbtYGUMKt73L8mjQgyHGFXwNzWAjuqlg23eK1pn5QmJPlF60JRN3L86HFl-ck6ad0O44YW2sXd5O7K3w0pHi4eDaprextd9zNPokF8FDPY9FjPQYV4Omgb3LELdwLGMbXOGwzPtO5Jt3xPDO7F2Zwwc-ueGfR6uRMqRXwDJeXhkomqMFAPqK2M9LmW07K60opy2o_htO4F3kvL1eSfrJ84EBRplUwhUc4C0j6aOrH2az5mO61MEQpWjjYvmxvOnGZw6-4KMs-fwh_b04kyIgGf5NHgbPAPiSAzBrZNPln9f7qqeo7ePpOodOU6Mi0WvVFv7De3BzUAcM6DED83vHJYt25QPZT2P11OAA1A5Am51hRI3rIjYq8Hji38Gpjm7PzacseFIn85u5L1zwMN52XBjPA_HwUW9eYajpRkOb8QrqzeAOzPXwMTg5nVy-svcV0UA7ndayT7sHrcZHrL2-RtKIQb3E44xthejXi2MVJoKiIjSo8dVX4xkF03ix72ofA7oRnXOmQ7KPCMonux5JHTyvehcP83-Lb88vIa8cNvH3LdKMeaF9l9k0ecizCyo=w800-h450-no

30 years hence:

GFbNTGuvrf8pk_qyxakjrEMeS2-KdIoaA0lN_YM-P1Fr-ap8HMNGh6HwP9ROhrz4PbbXWdqHlPzSr6blbgK5NG_bpneJSCkKV6tKD7BDAMaG_1KhSkIExRnIdFUIwSPdjQMeqCyfpc4gTIURTo9r4jhnI14kwbFFzDnOvkFUzhcSAQOF6wdkKwBARXx2EPhNKdHO3bqBt2i75i7u8y2SrXDQjgTOE1vwS_g072vsm5zbV-cXq6lPVNTwLPnSkro7BXB42_wRA02wUZvi4lZTwrIbqIASUIXcZmEAWg2jJG8JERKsow2U00fmqvWIqMRCGnrj8Y7Ao1r-QZOkfRdE8McIVXkRct7700Cbs0X9pSzzzctEEyBpjgRkDkNfNZ95QW55bBpZPRfA9bDiOvNotz_eUuFHbLfTTEbb10vFCPL3-h-SOZpbl6b3V0jjRwdvGSrvK_7JMoPSHpxNUld8T91_9csdX6VTIIriNiEjm5iUAoScV9BJmp9_JoVw1Mi69pbJJGH8gQWltU9DIIjS8lDUh6L6iR8kFNkixSdFCENgjODfj5DUR_4RwWWAAOoqs-j3TyobAOTLdEVQvm4xFukWigyWU0klXF3QQlI=w800-h450-no

• Like 9

Guest caramelcake

@liddi I was waiting for your post in here. Agree with your deep thought on every points you wrote up there. 

Indeed, how can we say good bye to SFD? I'm going to miss this show so bad.

Now, is there any compilation video of the best moments from this series? I guess we'll need it when we want to see our favorite characters once in a while ( tracking back all those 50 episodes can drain us lol)

@PrincessMe2515 Two songs are played. First it's the instrumental of Shin Yong Jae's "세상 한가운데 (In The Middle of World)" (from Part 5 of the OST), and then I believe the 2nd song is Lee Jong Han (이종한)'s "생령조상" (from Part 3 of the OST).

• Like 8