[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Six Flying Dragons" Episode 48

photo701858.jpg

The big grotesque irony about the fight between Bang-ji and Muhyul is that it's completely pointless. For that matter so were Yeon-hee's actions which precipitated the struggle. By the time either Bang-ji or Yeon-hee had any inkling that something was going to happen to Do-jeon, they were already too far away to offer any support. This, oddly enough, is Bang-won's central political argument. Now that it's impossible to stop him, won't striking back simply be wasted effort against the greater good?

Let's recall that, for all Bang-won's quiet moments of inner turmoil, and his general inability to look anyone straight in the eye anymore, that he's still not done yet. Bang-won's family (with one obvious exception) are the only ones he considers indisposable, because blood ties can defy all logic. The military training too, guarantees a certain degree of loyalty and a willingness to follow orders. Scholars, by contrast, can be a lot more wishy-washy.

It's from this backdrop that "Six Flying Dragons" finally coalesces its final alliance- one that serves as a preamble for the conspiracies in "Deep-rooted Tree". I do have to wonder whether that makes "Six Flying Dragons" a tad self-referential. With all the historical figures who could stand up to Bang-won either dead or fully marginilized, all he has left to fight against are fictional characters. And it's also rather weird seeing nearly all of the fictional characters on the same side when until now their sympathies have been fairly divided.

As usual, that's part of the point. If you're an important anonymous figure who associates with a guy like Bang-won, the best way to stay alive is by maintaining anonymity. Do-jeon's big worry about too much bloodletting is that it would have made Joseon weak because there would have been too few competent officials left after the dust had settled. When we consider that the early Joseon period was mostly a success even before King Sejong showed up, that means some capable people must have survived.

That, bizarrely enough, is how Bang-ji looks to honor the spirit of Do-jeon's wishes rather than the man's literal instructions. Which is fitting, considering that's what Yeon-hee would have done, indeed did do, since Do-jeon had made it quite clear that he did not think it necessary for Yeon-hee to make any further sacrifices for the great cause. Beyond all that though, there also remains the last essential human element. How will Boon-yi finally decide to respond, and what, if anything, will that mean for Bang-won's character arc?

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-six-flying-dragons-episode-48-92438.html

interesting ...

• Like 4

Jeong Yoo-mi says farewell to Yeonhee, her 'Six Flying Dragons' character

photo701771.jpg

Jeong Yoo-mi stepped down from 'Six Flying Dragons'. She sent out her farewell for 'Six Flying Dragons' fans.

Jeong Yoo-mi는 played Yeon-hee, Jeong Do-jeon (Kim Myeong-min)'s right-hand person. Her character ended own life by killing herself on March 14th.

To wrap up her part for the drama, Jeong Yoo-mi posted on the agency's official Facebook, Neos Entertainment, "It's time to let go of the name, Yeonhee. Without your support and love, I would not have been able to bear the long time during the last 50 episodes. I sincerely thank you all".

She also added, "I can't ask for more as far as I was of help leaving one good drama in your heart. Since I'm going to make many more good appearance in the future through other dramas and movie, please don't lose your anticipation for me and keep sending your support continuously. Don't get sick and be happy. Thank you".

• Like 4

I really don't want BY to die in Ep 49, but it is a possibility... I'm not looking forward to that if it happens. D:

EDIT:

Just wanted to post this here. Here's the translation for the latest OST released last week. (On the BTS of the recording of the OST, this song is described as BY's theme song that describes her feelings towards BW)

Don't Come With Break-Up (SFD OST)

Listen to the song | Translation [trans from infinity13@lt] :

Clearly the clock has done two circles
It's a day where nothing is different
Like a photo that was snapped by the time
I am motionless
A more comfortable feeling
Am I deceiving myself?

At some point my tears flow
They still must be waiting for you
Don't go,don't come with break-up
Tell me to wait for a little bit
Only you, so that my heart won't go off
Please look back, please look back

While looking only at you
I couldn't look at the break up
I had got used to your back
I didn't know you were going far away
Don't go,don't come with break-up

Like then, that you wanted me like crazy
I know my heart can't forget you
Even if another love comes
It's just another way of remembering you
Because nobody can't take your place

Don't go, don't come with break-up

• Like 6

Ratings (Neilsen)

Ep 45     Nationwide 16.1% (-0.3)      Seoul 17.9% (-0.4)
Ep 46     Nationwide 16.1% (-0.0)      Seoul 17.4% (-0.5)
Ep 47     Nationwide 16.7% (+0.7)      Seoul 17.9% (+0.5)
Ep 48     Nationwide 16.2% (-0.5)      Seoul 17.9% (+0.0)

• Like 5

Ms. Dodam : ... the night the former king (Yi Bang-Won) murdered Sambong (Jung Do-Jeon), two servants from Banchon were involved. One servant reported to the former king that Sambong was at the cottage of Lord Nam Eun. The other servant reported to Sambong that the former king (Yi Bang-Won) raised the army. What happened to them? Because of the issue, our Banchon could have been slaughtered in whole. We only survived by giving the corpses of those two servants!

I'm still not convinced who the two corpses are.  Is it BY, GB, PB?  I love the scene where BW felt shaken after killing the crown prince and then the scene where he was talking to YG was perfect. So sad to see that despite his power, he still feels like YG and MH were the only ones he could trust.  He lost YG and was afraid to lose MH as well.  BJ is a character that had a lot of potential but I feel like his story arc could have been better.  Most of the series felt like he was always wallowing in misery rather than doing something about it.  His revenge plot for next week is too late for me.

• Like 6

One servant reported to the former king that Sambong was at the cottage of Lord Nam Eun.
→ It was Monk Jeok-Ryong of Biguksa temple. Banchon was not involved with this.

The other servant reported to Sambong that the former king (Yi Bang-Won) raised the army.
→  It was Gap-Boon, obviously.

Because of the issue, our Banchon could have been slaughtered in whole.
→  Yi Shin-Jeok led the troops to beat up Gap-Boon and investigate Banchon. Is he going to slaughter the whole Banchon villagers in the future?

We only survived by giving the corpses of those two servants!
→ One must be Gap-Boon, the other is... Pal-Bong's father who was killed by the arrows? or someone else?

The facts in SFD are slightly different from the words in TWDR. Is it intentional or by mistake? I don't know. If it is intentional, I think Ms. Dodam (Maeng-Soon), as a leader of Banchon, distorted the facts to tighten the control of villagers in TWDR.   

• Like 6

10 hours ago, homura said:

One more thing. The reason why Bang-Won killed his half brother and Sambong by his own hands. It is because Bang-Won was afraid of losing Moo-Hyul. He confessed to Young-Gyu's ghost that if he orders Moo-Hyul to do such a thing, Moo-Hyul is going to leave him. So, he did it by himself.

I cried. If only Young Gyu still alive, he would tell Bang Won to leave all those tasks of killing to him.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, watchumlots said:

The WRITER and Director have done a tremendous job of forming BangWon's personality and character.  If he truly, in his youth, killed the people the drama claims he killed, he was a budding sociopath who grew to defy his father,  all social conventions, and kill his own brothers.  Dalbert-Acton said it best:   "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."   

I agree Yi Bang-Won in SFD is a picture-perfect psychopath (sociopath?). The SFD writers wrote a crime thriller drama titled H.I.T. (Homicide Investigation Team) in the past. They were known to research a lot about the psychology of serial killers at that time. Their other dramas like Queen Seondeok and Tree with Deep Roots also represent such a research.

• Like 6

“Six Flying Dragons” Cements Its Popularity By Selling Out Commercial Air Time

It was recently revealed that “Six Flying Dragons,” the highly popular SBS drama, has sold out all of its air time for commercials. Demand was so high, reports say, that the drama had to add additional commercial air time.

This further proves the drama’s popularity in Korea because it is currently on the top of the ratings for all Monday-Tuesday dramas. The drama is about the ambitions and successions of six important characters during the founding of the Joseon dynasty, with a focus on the young prince Lee Bang Won. It boasts an impressive cast, with Yoo Ah In, Shin Se Kyung, Byun Yo HanKim Myung Min, and more. The first episode aired on October 5, 2015 and soon hit the top of the ratings.  Its latest episode that aired on March 14 had a rating of 16.7% according to the Nielson Korea ratings. There are only two more episodes left and the last episode is set to air on March 22.

Source: http://www.soompi.com/2016/03/15/six-flying-dragons-cements-its-popularity-by-selling-out-commercial-air-time/

• Like 5

Another fantastic gripping episode! BJ, MH..so sad to see them fighting against each other and MH's grandma & BY trying to hold them back.

I like the scene of 'YG' trying to reassure BW after he killed JDJ & Crown prince himself, and the reason why he didn't ask MH to do it for him. BW truly deserved YG & MH's loyalty for treating them as family.

The King is truly looking mad and I like how BW's unflinching looks during the confrontation scene. KIng Taejo kept saying he founded the kingdom but he only managed to gain the throne after BW's killed MJ & dethrone the last Goryeo King! 

I wonder what's BY's & CSG fate in coming episodes. I will presume BY will die protecting BW and CSG will die protecting MH.

After watching SFD, I can appreciate TWDR more although I pity King Sejong for having mad brutal BW aka King Taejong as father. For those who are yet to watch TWDR, it's a must to watch it after SFD. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lindy01 said:

The King is truly looking mad and I like how BW's unflinching looks during the confrontation scene. KIng Taejo kept saying he founded the kingdom but he only managed to gain the throne after BW's killed MJ & dethrone the last Goryeo King! 

Well, historically Jung Do-jeon and Yi Seong-Gye founded Joseon. Without Yi Seong-Gye's military success and Jung Do-Jeon's ideological design, Joseon could not be established. Yi Bang-Won did nothing except for bringing Yi Seong-Gye who fell off a horse from Byeokrando to Gaegyung and killing Jung Mong-Joo. Of course, it was a big contribution, but SFD writers rewrote the history like Yi Bang-Won did everything instead of Jung Do-Jeon and Yi Seong-Gye from the beginning. That's one of the reasons why some historical drama fans hated SFD. (sigh)

• Like 10

Netizens Reaction on Six Flying Dragons Episode 47

Osen: Six Flying Dragons', Kim Myung Min dies, a janteukareu until the end

Naver:
1. [+3,355, -66] "I'm very tired Bang Won-ah"... Jung Do Jeon is now gone ㅜㅜㅜ
2. [+2,937, -82] Lee Bang Won's facial expression when Lee Seong Gye pointed his sword
3. [+2,834, -160] Kim Myung Min's acting made me cry. Thank you for your hardwork
4. [+2,088, -81] Today was daebakㅠㅠㅠㅠ Bang Won-ahㅠㅠㅠ
5. [+2,101, -133] Kill Bang Won's bloody rebellion has finally begun... Yeonhee and Bangji's farewell kiss... She took her own life for him.. Bangji will once again wield his blade of vengeance.... And Jung Do Jeon's death...Lee Bangji and Lee Bangji... Moohyul's fate? The story is so epic!!
6. [+688, -41] Yoo Ah In went mad today but his acting here is totally different from 'Veteran' (his 2015 blockbuster movie), as if his madness was from a high-dimensional world
7. [+619, -25] Should've given last year's Daesang to either Yoo Ah In or Kim Myung Min, their acting is so amazing....Why did they give it to Yongpal, that's so random

Nate:
1. [+354, -7] What will happen to Cheok Sa Gwang?
2. [+341, -21] Woah Yoo Ah In's acting gives me goosebumps
3. [+298, -11] Ah ㅜㅜ What will my Mondays and Tuesdays nights be like now? I got over my Monday disease because of Six Flying Dragons.. Not one episode has been boring.. I wonder how tomorrow's episode is going to be? I'll keep tuning in until the very last episode

Source: kkuljaem

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SukBin said:

Yi Bang Won... Bang Won... Bang Wonah.... Jeonangun... Taejong....

This Guy is so complex that no matter how hard I try , i cant put a label on him.

Right when i start to think he is a sociopath without any regret... he shows regret in the tortured feelings on his face when he is alone by himself, he hates himself for what he has to do , for what he has done, eventhough he cant stop himself from doing it.

Right when i start to think he is a power hungry selfish man.... he is ready to die at a word from his father... leaving behind his ambitions...

Right when i start to think all he cares is about himself.... he goes ahead and does things for the sake of greater good...to protect his family and     teacher.. eventhough he knows that by his action those very people will hate him.

I can go on about how conflicted i feel about him here.... but in the end all i can say about him is:

He is like a wounded and cornered animal.... all it knows is to strike back at anyone it sees as threat....

Last word : I somehow got the feeling throughout SFD... that with each person that he kills, Bang Won kills a part of himself... slowly becoming a lifeless shell that we see in TWDR.

Yes, and I think that his lifeless shell will be completed when BY dies >.<

12 hours ago, homura said:

One more thing. The reason why Bang-Won killed his half brother and Sambong by his own hands. It is because Bang-Won was afraid of losing Moo-Hyul. He confessed to Young-Gyu's ghost that if he orders Moo-Hyul to do such a thing, Moo-Hyul is going to leave him. So, he did it by himself.

I was so touched by that scene!!!!!!!!!! And YAI's acting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree so much with what I read from netizen's comment:

"6. [+688, -41] Yoo Ah In went mad today but his acting here is totally different from 'Veteran' (his 2015 blockbuster movie), as if his madness was from a high-dimensional world"

I can't stop myself from making his gifs last night!

I made two more sets as a result...

http://oohhkkay.tumblr.com/post/141129034844/kill-bang-won-in-six-flying-dragons-ep-47

http://oohhkkay.tumblr.com/post/141129126099/kill-bang-won-in-six-flying-dragons-ep-47

• Like 4

[DRAMABEANS] Six Flying Dragons: Episode 47

It’s time to buckle your seat belts and gird your loins for an hour that takes no prisoners, and one that does so with aplomb. This kind of episode is the reason we watch and love sageuk, and for this show especially, it’s the kind of episode we’ve been tuning in week after week for. Powerful, stirring, brilliant—you name it, Six Flying Dragons is it. If the last three episodes carry this kind of momentum forward, then we’ll all be emotional messes by this time next week. And we wouldn’t have it any other way.

COMMENTS

Powerful. This whole episode was exceptionally well-shot and choreographed in order to milk every ounce of intensity it could from every single frame, and to that I say: Bravo. Even without history in the mix, this kind of major character death is one that can’t be taken lightly, and Six Flying Dragons definitely gave that pivotal moment all the due respect and fanfare it deserved.

Though Jung Do-jeon hasn’t made it easy for us to like him as of late, it was hard not to see his graceful acceptance of his fate as a sort of recompense for all that he’s done. Granted, we wouldn’t have expected any less of a dedicated Confucian scholar like Jung Do-jeon, but he managed to outdo himself here. Despite his differences with Bang-won, he’s no fool, neither is he a villain. And so what he got was a hero’s death, even if it was at the hands of our story’s proverbial hero.

The interesting thing about the way Dragons handles Bang-won is that, while it clearly has anointed him as the main protagonist, it doesn’t try to hide his evil deeds or bloodthirsty nature from us. Even in this hour when he started to come off a little unhinged, he was still firmly grounded in everything we’ve come to expect of him so far. Everything he did was rooted in who he is, and how his journey has brought him here. We can understand even if we can’t necessarily sympathize, yet somehow, we always end up doing just that.

Full recaps: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/03/six-flying-dragons-episode-47/

• Like 3

Six Flying Dragons' ratings drop slightly, conflicts between Yoo Ah-in and Byeon Yo-han

Spoiler

photo701932.jpg

The ratings of 'Six Flying Dragons' have gone down slightly.

According to AGB Nielsen Korea, SBS Drama ''Six Flying Dragons' episode 48 which was aired on the 15th, rated 16.2%. This is 0.5% lower than the previous episode which rated 16.7%.

On the latest episode, Lee Bang-won (Yoo Ah-in) kills his son, Lee Bang-seok which ends the story of the first prince's death.

Lee Bang-ji (Byeon Yo-han) who was unable to protect his lover, Yeon-hee (Jeong Yoo-mi), Jeong Do-jeon (Kim Myeong-min) and his friend, Mu Huel (Yoon Gyoon-sang), pledges his revenge against Lee Bang-won.

Meanwhile, MBC "Glamorous Temptation" rated 12.7% and KBS2 "Babysitter" rated 3.1%.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-six-flying-dragons-ratings-drop-slightly-conflicts-between-yoo-ah-in-and-byeon-yo-han-92460.html

• Like 2

ok... I did another set of gif again, this time my fav scene in ep 48, the one where young-gyoo appeared. YAI's trembling hands. You would have thought he was ok when he decided earlier that he could kill his teacher and his brother, but then when he was alone after he did all these, this scene revealed that he was still a human after all.

http://oohhkkay.tumblr.com/post/141133661179/six-flying-dragons-ep-48-jo-young-gyoo-you

I can't believe there is only one week left!!!! I will miss this so much!

• Like 3