2 hours ago, sadhli said:

So the person who came to Hong in bang in next scene with bribe, was there to offer his soldiers and bribe as money or precious things, and then by giving a piece of  land also (may be somewhere far away )....is that right ?

In short, the government (Dodang) robs commoners' land and gives it out as compensation to nobles who send their private armies to fight Japanese pirates. Therefore, those nobles who want to get the commoners' land fiercely compete one another to send their private armies, and offer a bribe to Yi In-Gyeom who has the final say. Part of the land is given in advance to Yi In-Gyeom as a bribe.

As Hong In-Bang said, it is 'war sale', and that's why the land in Yeon-Hee's village was taken by the nobles' servants. (ep. 4)

The dodang gets soldiers to fight off Japanese pirates. Nobles get land in the name of protecting commoners. Yi In-Gyeom gets bribes. But commoners are robbed of their land.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, azzurri said:

He must have been very unpopular with the nobles and aristocrats for taking away so many of their priviledges and source of wealth. It's an interesting point to ponder. 

it made me think would that be the cause of their revolt and in  the end BW ruthless ruling  - since change in governing and maybe the wish to change it back to the way it was can make the nobles turn against BW who in turn will disperse of them 

GTM for makeup commercial

Photo published for ‘육룡이 나르샤’, 호랑이는 죽어서 가죽을, 육룡이는 길태미를 남겼다…‘태미표 메이크업’ - #육룡이 나르샤

cr: http://article.topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=164167

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, kirak said:

Is it that hong in bang servant's who was survive at the execution place was the one who rape yoon hee? the one who betray hong in bang

exactly - thats why BY was so upset he was not caught with the rest of them and followed him

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nevill said:

exactly - thats why BY was so upset he was not caught with the rest of them and followed him

I really hope lee bang ji will take revenge for her..she must have some trauma or something when see him..

Another scene i dont get about lee bng ji and moo hyul conversation

Bj : what do you think is the crucial think is the crucial talent to live as a warrior in these time? 

Mm: what

Bj: its the personality. The personality of enjoying killing people. The moment urs enemy life ends you feel pleasure.

Mm : what about u. Its that ur personality. I dont think it is

Bj it wasnt..but it has become that way.

#then he flashback about yoon hee staring at his wound. - i dont get what the connection..keke..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kirak said:

I really hope lee bang ji will take revenge for her..she must have some trauma or something when see him..

Another scene i dont get about lee bng ji and moo hyul conversation

Bj : what do you think is the crucial think is the crucial talent to live as a warrior in these time? 

Mm: what

Bj: its the personality. The personality of enjoying killing people. The moment urs enemy life ends you feel pleasure.

Mm : what about u. Its that ur personality. I dont think it is

Bj it wasnt..but it has become that way.

#then he flashback about yoon hee staring at his wound. - i dont get what the connection..keke..

maybe its connected to the conversation leading to the look about him declaring he is LBJ the best swordsman and risking the plan and JDJ 

so it means he enoy the thrill of the fight and kill more than the reason for doing it 

so now he has changed to the "personality" he talked to MH about - IMO

• Like 2

Ok, the pic is kinda misleading from the point I'm about to make, ha ha, I made this a long time ago before the show was even made, I have this creepy hobby of making up duos I'd like to see in a drama together, I have no idea that they actually are gonna be in one together and now it's so awkward :v . Anyway not the point, the point is it's raining here where I am, which gets me in the mood so I'm gonna talk about these 2. I don't know, it's just, 2 women in BW's life and it has something to do with love and I always wanna see what it's gonna be when he have a platonic scene with a woman, what it's like if he have an older sis since we have a lot of bromance going on too. So I kinda hope these 2 to have more scenes together cuz I think if they do, they're gonna be a great platonic duo. I mean, think about it, these 2 kinda have the most similar political view out of all people. Others consider a lot and have many thing to be scare of when they make a move, but these 2, they're both really really extreme. She was willing to let him die, and even more, kill him to set the big picture, and man, we all know how extreme BW is, he ask the same thing that she wanted, that why didn't they let him die for the best and many other things. But in the same time, they're also really opposite, he's like a hot fire, always seems so...emotional, I don't know what to call but like BW said, he's a roasted bean, unpredictable, always seems like he's about to explode. But her, man, she's lethal, ruthless, cold to the core, she's not unpredictable, things that she does, people can think of, it just surprise them that she's harsh enough to do those things. And base on that, I think it would be fun to watch them. Besides, when they have relationship issue these 2 are the most easy to talk to each other, consider whom they're in love with, ha ha. But consider her loyalty to SB, his complicated relationship with BY and Lady Min and a psychopath he's slowly becoming, sooner or later she and DS are gonna kick his ***, haha, joking, I love all of them.

12311325_535046940006547_482586782261117

• Like 5

On 12/2/2015, 5:38:15, homura said:

Hong In-Bang asserted that a human being can throw a child into a well for his own benefit. Human nature is so inclined towards selfishness that it is inevitable for human societies to fall into chaos. Goryeo is hopeless. If he can’t change the chaos, he had no choice but to be the part of the chaos.

Greetings, All,

@homura - Many thanks for your brilliant work fact checking, filling in the historical background and providing insight into the philosophical underpinnings of the politics in the drama.  Regarding the above quote, doesn't this mirror GTM's dying ehortation that if he didn't take advantage of the poor and helpless who should he have taken advantage of... the rich and powerful?  And his (correct) assessment of fallen human nature that from the beginning (a thousand years ago) and to the end (a thousand years from now) the nature of human beings is to lean toward selfishness for the purpose of self-preservation and elevation in the community (society).  You can see why these two were friends and relatives...  Regarding Samsa, I can see how this can function as a system of checks and balances of the political class and this responds to HIB, but what's not addressed is the relationship between the political class and the majority non-noble, non-political, non-scholarly class which is what GTM's statement is referring to...but then we'd be talking about something more akin to a social contract...  Its too bad JDJ didn't hear GTM's last words in addition to HIB's last words, he may have devised a different system...  and we'd have a different drama...

The "worm in the heart"... what do you think this refers to?  Blind ambition, hunger for power, greed...?  Ah, I just read JDJ's words again, we have a saying here that the person who steps on other people to get to the top with the intention of then doing great things when he gets to the top, will be a person at the top who steps on people...  In other words, does the end justify the means or does the means justify the ends...  Can a person who will plot political intrigue, hold suspicions, falsely accuse and murder to create a "just society" be a "just" ruler?  Can a society be "just" if its foundation is based on all the foregoing...  I think back to that good/just speech LBW had with HIB, LBW is willing to forego "good" to be "just" but, can you separate goodness and justice, or are you (or that worm in your heart) blinding yourself to the reality that one cannot be both evil and just or good and unjust... the moment you step on the path of evil, injustice naturally follows... it may take a while for it to materialize, but eventually materialize it will...   So what does this mean?  That the end of every great society is implanted at its birth... 

I can't find the cite now but there was some talk about the "secret" that could get BY's brother killed... What I took from this is that the now LBJ and perhaps little sister BY are the illegitimate children of some royal and a maid and I am speculating here but I foresee a role for GTM's twin brother in this drama as, perhaps, protector, life-long love of the deceased (or missing) mother or even perhaps foster father of LBJ and biological father of BY...  That's what I'm thinking...

What I'm hoping is that LBJ and YH get over their tragic past, together take out all the baddies who raped her and find a place in each other's heart again...  And since they're both fictional chacaters, it can happen... writer-nim????

Finally, I'm gonna miss that blue eye shadow...

• Like 9

15 hours ago, homura said:

In short, the government (Dodang) robs commoners' land and gives it out as compensation to nobles who send their private armies to fight Japanese pirates. Therefore, those nobles who want to get the commoners' land fiercely compete one another to send their private armies, and offer a bribe to Yi In-Gyeom who has the final say. Part of the land is given in advance to Yi In-Gyeom as a bribe.

As Hong In-Bang said, it is 'war sale', and that's why the land in Yeon-Hee's village was taken by the nobles' servants. (ep. 4)

The dodang gets soldiers to fight off Japanese pirates. Nobles get land in the name of protecting commoners. Yi In-Gyeom gets bribes. But commoners are robbed of their land.

Thank you once again friend for your help.

Just now finished epi5 and so far I understood everything in this epi so no queries for it.

But I found this episode very heart wrenching esp the part where Boon Yi says to Bang Won that she went into Grain godown to do the funeral and un nyeona at least have food as per her wish as she is leaving her life.

How tough and helpless life these people had back then and still politicians have no concern for but to only have as much money as they can.

Money is really a villain which turns everyone in a monster controlled by greed kills all other emotions.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Like I already posted I felt sorry for LM but was touched by what I saw when BW asked BY to basically keep him grounded because of what he had been told by a man he once looked up to. Later found him to be a man who gave into his weakness and chose evil as his path.  

Every time they get close it's almost to painful to watch two hearts holding back like that somehow you can feel it right through the screen.

Oh gosh, reading what you wrote made me think that Boon Yi would die. Without her to keep him grounded, he will not be able to control himself and be on full blown Lee Bang Won mode. I still wish it wouldn't happen though.

And yes! My heart aches whenever BJ and YH are on my screen trying to hide their true feelings. It freaking hurts, okay!! The feels reach me even with them not saying anything.

@homura thanks for the worm compilation! Makes me want to watch Tree again though I read all episode recaps after starting Dragons and actually ended up watching parts of every episode

• Like 4