how symbolic BY giving up her shoes 

What that scene means? isit like removing gift from her ex or something? :mellow:

in the scene where BW buys BY the shoes - the vendor say its the man job to choose his woman shoes  - and him putting them for her is a prince charming cinderella sort of thing - by accepting the shoes she accept BW as her man - per vendor saying 

removing them - at least to me- means she no longer think of him as her man

at least at this point in the story

• Like 3

Bang-Won never proposed marriage to Boon-Yi. That's exactly my point.

He is smart. He already knows that it is impossible to marry her in the Goryeo sociey. He also didn't say he would make her a concubine. There is no solution about reality, just love and heart. "I love you. I know you are mine. Accept my love. I want to be your comfort instead of your family. What? Are you refusing me? Why?" This can not be called a marriage proposal. Just love confession.

Even if he loves Boon-Yi, he will choose to marry Lady Min for political benefits. He is that kind of person, and Boon-Yi already knows it. Don't think he is a typical melo drama hero. He is not sacrificing himself. It was his choice. That's my point.

This was how that scene came across to me, too. There was no offer of marriage. It was an offer of love & comfort (to be her "family", in lieu of her real family because she has none (discounting DS - they didn't know he's still alive.) Boon-Yi knew how difficult and impossible the situation is, so she said no, even though she loves him. She doesn't have the luxury to say 'yes' even though that would have made them both happy.

Good Morning,

Okay, okay, I submit to your knowledge of the culture and the history.  I think the text

is ambiguous on this point and, perhaps, on purpose.  The writers aren't writing a historically-accurate text even if the history must eventually end up correct.  BY is a fictional character SO they could make anything happen between she and YBW. From the perspective of this Western woman, BY is, so far, the only female dragon and that is for a reason, she is YBW's equal.  Also, I remember when she was identified as a dragon there was a subnote stating that she was YBW's lifelong love.  She is not his social equal but they are equal in spirit and this is what he has realized instinctually.  The writers have gone out of their way to make her appear to be a strong and courageous woman who, in her own words, wants to strike down "this shitty world (Goryeo)".  Nothing about her character to this point fits with the whiny, petty and petulant BY we saw at the beginning of Ep. 13 in the woods with YBW.  That's why I don't buy that she's being honest with him.  She's lying to herself and to him.  There is some other reason she is keeping him at arms length and, since the writers inserted that clip of her remembering her brother and YH at their happiest moment just before their worst moment, I'm thinking she is making some psychological connection between what happens between them and what MIGHT happen between her and YBW.  But that would mean, taken into contex

t with everything else she said, like about not caring about people, etc., to mean that BY has serious psychological issues and that doesn't make me happy.

You know the culture better than I so, yes, YBW did not come out and say "BY marry me, please" but he did say he has always known that she was "his" soulmate and, later on when she was washing clothes, he told her he wanted to be a family with her, to be her beloved and someone special to her. Since I'm not aware of men ever so beautifully asking women to be just lifelong friends with or without benefits, it registers with me that he is asking her to marry him even if he doesn't think farther than that moment, which is why she calls him immature and unrealistic.  I think he's a romantic.  When BY says that the law won't allow them to be together and that he knows that, he responds it isn't about that (the law) right now.  So, here's the thing.  They are both in this fight to take down the corrupt Goryeo and to build a new Joseon.  There are people of the noble class, the warrior class, the scholarly class and the peasant class all working together for this goal.  This seems very democratic.  To my way of thinking, YBW is asking for a long engagement... he just wants to be assured of her feelings since neither of them may live to see a new Joseon and neither of them knows what that new Joseon will look like and if in that new world it would be possible for them to  be together.  Under the laws of Goryeo it is impossible but under the laws of a new Joseon yet to be written perhaps not.  In BY's mind, we see her thinking that she will never make a family and that if she is loved by someone she "will feel too shameless to her brother".  Now, this I don't understand and perhaps you can enlighten us.  Why would she sacrifice her own happiness for a brother she hasn't seen for a decade or more because of something she screamed at him in anger when she was a child.  This isn't noble or loving or courageous or even honest at this point.  This is BY taking out her anger at herself for something she did a decade ago, her envy at BY for being so well-loved by his father and brothers and her frustration with her place in the social order on YBW and that is completely out of character with the BY we've seen so far.  If this is the true BY, than there was no nobility to her cultivating that field, harvesting those crops to feed the townsfolk and setting fire to the store house.  If this is the true BY, then those were the actions not of a courageous leader, but of a bandit pure and simple.  But if BY was nothing more than a thief and troublemaker, she wouldn't be a dragon.  There is something here that doesn't fit and, like I said, since BY is a fictional character who doesn't end up with King Taejong and Ms. Min does, the writers probably needed a way to put an end to his infatuation with her so her character fades to the background and to bring in Ms. Min, who does become Queen, into a more prominent role in YBW's life and the drama.

@zenya22 - YBW had no intention of marrying Ms. Min or anyone else until after BY rejects him, not once, not twice, but three times.  When he hears about the baddies trying to forge an alliance through marriage, and since the woman he has always loved has rejected him so definitively, he then decides if he can't have (marriage with) the woman he loves, he might as well make a marriage that is helpful to his father and useful to the cause (a political marriage).  @valsava is right, YBW's decision is all about BY rejecting him.  Look, this is a drama, BY could have accepted him, they could have been on Cloud Nine and then the General could have ordered YBW to marry Ms. Min for an alliance with her family.  THAT would have been a political move.  That's not what happens.  YBW offers himself up AFTER BY has rejected him multiple times.  

The writers have a goal here and I think that goal is to put the future King Taejong in as good and noble a light as possible since I think that's the goal of this drama, to tell the story of King Taejong and, based on what I read about him on the internet, they will have their hands full...

Edited by chickpea
  • Like 4

I think writers have two options if we talk about BY ending:

1. She walk away with brother or alone after story end. As a strong and free women she just quietly leave...( for me it is happy ending for her)

2. They kill her -some tragic/ sacrifice romantic death ( Writers please don't do that!!). I watch before some k. historical drama and I only once see happy ending lead couple.

For me ending when BY become concubine it's not happy ending even if she will be with her lover. I don't know how much writers follow history if we talk about true character BW. Don't forget that he is not only guy who really love BY and talk some romantic words to her. He was great king but his hands it's not clean. There will be a lot of blood in his path. In the future in this drama we could see his other side and this side maybe will be not that nice like we see now. And BY maybe will not follow his all action... 

for me too option one seem like a good ending but i doubt it will happen with her brother since he is part of TWDR and wasnt able to save JDJ - but maybe after that he did go with his sister, so who knows

but i think most likely she will part ways with her brother since they will follow different path 

i think she will be BW woman and follow him while LBJ will become JDJ bodyguard 

- i dont mind tragic ending therefor didnt mind TWDR ending and as long as BY and the others are till the last episode and are given significant part in the story i dont mind that much even if everyone dies but the real characters 

if i sound mean, im sorry

• Like 2

@MiAmour, Temporary marriage does not exist in the history of Korea. If you marry someone, the marriage lasts for your entire life until you or your partner dies.

It did not exist, even during the Three Kingdoms era? Mishil (in Queen Seon Deok) had multiple children from multiple fathers. Does it mean that some of her children were born out of wedlock, and everyone in Silla was okay with it?

Speaking of QSD, you can see that SFD is written by the same team; there are so many parallels between the two dramas.

For example, the way BW thinks like HIB in this episode reminds me of the way Bidam was thinking like Mishil in QSD. Or the way HIB turns the situation around, by causing the death of one of his men, reminds me of the way Mishil engineered Sejong's injury in QSD.

• Like 4

@chickpea your right the reason BY gives for refusing are excuses and its her guilt over her belief that she had caused her brother to kill herself 

and BW also know it since he tells her that someone who burns the storage will not suddenly care about status

and she is BW beloved but i do think that not wanting to be a concubine was more the truth than even she realized at the moment she said it

she will in IMO take the modern stance and become his lover without status and position just 2 equal ppl showing love for one another  

• Like 5

spoiler: 

at LBW & LM wedding night LM is unwilling to sleep with LBW and tells him for now you have yet to prove your worth to me - if youll not be able to prove yourself i will abandon to which LBW promise he will do whats necessary so she wont abandon him (paraphrasing hancinema) 

befitting a queen to be LM tell LBW that he has to pass her test and she is making the decisions  -  a great queen   

• Like 11

Hi fellow SFD fans, hope all is well with you.  I’ve watched and re-watched episode 13 & 14 as well as read comments in relation to BY/BW & LM, the nature of that relationship dynamics. This is my view, 1st of all BW is a lucky SOB to actually have 2 strong women at both sides that are supporting & guiding him to his future success.  LM provides the support from a political, strategic and noble standpoint, BY from a strategic and common people standpoint.  Granted some of us are unhappy as to BY’s decision to let go of BW from the romantic relationship aspect but when it comes to it – she is completely right that a romantic relationship for them will not be beneficial especially as a woman.  BY would have lost big time if they had continue to pursue that path, especially in consideration of the time period, the culture and the country views towards women & relations with men (it’s still applicable today in some countries).  The repercussions is too great for them, also this relationship would not be accepted publicly.

Although I wanted BY/BW to have a couple relationship, I have come to accept that it’s unlikely and they are more likely to remain partners/comrades in the founding of Joseon.  Plus BY is described as BW’s “beloved” which means someone who is cherished by the other this in itself does not have to be in a romantic sense but can be broader in the terms of loving a person, though it started romantically between them because of life realities & in a way BY’s guilt it’s not possible so the alternative is for them to be together but not “be together”.  As stated in an earlier post BY represents the common people of the country who wants better for her home so for BW to say that he loves her and is likely to do so until the day he dies indicates that he will always love the people of his country especially the commoner who he calls as his/mine.  Therefore BW as the 3rd dragon future king fought for and loved his people.

I have heard of the common term behind every great man is a woman – personally my revision is “beside every great man is a great woman” or “without the neck the head does not know what to do as it is the neck that provides the movement & head though at the top has no choice but to follow what the neck decides” (courtesy of movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding-2002).

From watching today’s episode raw it seems that MH is realising that he has a long way to go before making a name for himself though it’s funny that he is trying to big himself up; DS is now renamed, confirmed as JDJ’s bodyguard and makes a decision as to his next steeps (it’s likely that this actor will be nominated & should be awarded for best new actor in a drama series for SBS, as in just about every clip you see him you feel – kudos for him & well deserved when it comes); HIB counterattacks; BY in a way has some closure re BW & the shoes, but feels very sad for DS/YH.

Gone for now, until next episode.               

• Like 9

Although I wanted BY/BW to have a couple relationship, I have come to accept that it’s unlikely and they are more likely to remain partners/comrades in the founding of Joseon.  Plus BY is described as BW’s “beloved” which means someone who is cherished by the other this in itself does not have to be in a romantic sense but can be broader in the terms of loving a person, though it started romantically between them because of life realities & in a way BY’s guilt it’s not possible so the alternative is for them to be together but not “be together”.  As stated in an earlier post BY represents the common people of the country who wants better for her home so for BW to say that he loves her and is likely to do so until the day he dies indicates that he will always love the people of his country especially the commoner who he calls as his/mine.  Therefore BW as the 3rd dragon future king fought for and loved his people.

They might be don't follow history in 100% but  because king Taejo it was really important king for history Korea, writers must be a very careful with scenario. I don't believe in happy ending with BW and BY. I just don't see any good option if we talk about BY stay by his side. 

Dont see any good option??? More likely to remains partners?? 

Well perhaps you say like that since you're seungyeong stans right?

Its up to you if you dont wanna believe bout BW & BY happy ending, but it dont change the fact that both of them are in LOVE, do you know what love means?!! BM even said to her that he will love her till he DIES! dont you guys get that?

beside im sure you know well that BM marrying LM just for political benefits. just that..:rolleyes:

• Like 2

They might be don't follow history in 100% but  because king Taejo it was really important king for history Korea, writers must be a very careful with scenario. I don't believe in happy ending with BW and BY. I just don't see any good option if we talk about BY stay by his side. 

Its up to you if you dont wanna believe bout BW & BY happy ending, but it dont change the fact that both of them are in LOVE, do you know what love means?!! BM even said to her that he will love her till he DIES! dont you guys get that?

beside im sure you know well that BM marrying LM just for political benefits. just that..:rolleyes:

Well they're quite right .. Korean audience is really sensitive about historical facts so the writer may will:

1) kill her and make it a turning point on BW's change of personality

2) break them up, but BW/BY's shippers would totally hate it.

3) Make her a royal concubine, she refused once but why not. 

but all in all there's only few options since they can't rewrite History

so even if they end up together BY won't be the only woman in BW's life...

PS: My opinion is totally unbiased since the only couple I ship is YH/JDJ xD

• Like 8

@MiAmour, Temporary marriage does not exist in the history of Korea. If you marry someone, the marriage lasts for your entire life until you or your partner dies.

It did not exist, even during the Three Kingdoms era? Mishil (in Queen Seon Deok) had multiple children from multiple fathers. Does it mean that some of her children were born out of wedlock, and everyone in Silla was okay with it?

Speaking of QSD, you can see that SFD is written by the same team; there are so many parallels between the two dramas.

For example, the way BW thinks like HIB in this episode reminds me of the way Bidam was thinking like Mishil in QSD. Or the way HIB turns the situation around, by causing the death of one of his men, reminds me of the way Mishil engineered Sejong's injury in QSD.

Well Mishil was a royal concubine then after the king's death had one husband and a lover 

But most importantly MS had a lot of power and used men to consolidated it ...

I think their situations are quite different because I don't see BY accepting to become a concubine 

but I may be wrong ....

• Like 4

Yes, I am a fan GSY but this is doesn't matter. I am happy see her in this drama but I read about her character before I started watch SFD. And she didn't have also happy ending. She got a power but she don't have love. I read about king too... Little scary person. And yes I like actres but this is doesn't mean that I don't like BY and BW together. I like their love story but I also saw many k. historical drama before and only one -ONE happy ending. And that drama was more like romance kdrama than historical. So yeah I don't believe for happy ending for them- and this is doesn't mean that I don't want that!! If you see that happy ending for BY is become BW concubin (for me this is not happy ending for her)- I'm thinking that in their situation this is the only one option when they could be stay together -that maybe writers do that.. who knows? but I don't call this happy ending...What a life...Be a concubine...:huh: 

English is not my first language so I only have hope that you understand what I want to say directly. And please don't judge my opinion about story line based on what actres I like;)

• Like 8

Just in case someone hasn't seen the episode today.....

BY's shoes never looked as beautiful as they did, running across that wooded grass.  Her heart pounding faster than her legs would allow her to run.  Not even being able to believe what she was feeling or what she was seeing, only the need to wrap her arms around DS and know that he was real and alive...  Her brother.....

In the next moments BY would be reunited with YH who wasn't just a friend but family to her and I was moved in watching YH  trying to embrace BY back.  It was hard for her to show affection but slowly we see her inching her arms tighter.  It's these little things that the writers show us that allow us to also inch by inch better understand whats not only going on within their minds but also their hearts....

There were sad moments but also what a nice surprise MH gave me moments of smiles just when I needed it most he is so sweet  in a way innocent and BY said it best his nature alone is the hope of Goryeo.  My favorite line tonight was during this moment when MH says "a persons heart ordinarily does what it wants"

I also was surprised at LM or to me SY whom I admit & am proud to be her fan.  She is also one of the first two people I ever wrote about on Soompi and still do.  She is lovely to look at but tonight she showed a firm side of her character and I am looking forward to seeing her develop in the future as we see her as queen...

Crazy thought for the night did anyone else think MH & GB looked cute sitting side by side.  Who knows what direction cupids arrow will take flight to next.  I also think JDJ just may have some feeling for YH and not because she is his spy.:rolleyes:

Last but not at all least and no it's not the moment BW has his arms  around BY:lol::wub:  But it was seeing BY sitting there alone reflecting on that moment  when she first put those beautiful shoes on and how she must have felt.  I almost felt there was some symbol in that those shoes although beautiful  I wonder if they seemed out of place to her and on her. For her life was and is simple.  Mind you she is proud & strong but she is also fully aware of how things are.  In a way just like her loving BW he too is  beautiful but having him.  I wonder like the shoes she just understands they may not fit.....  Just my thoughts.....:)

Guest my2centsworth

I agree, JDJ will protect YH by not revealing who she is. Too many people already know of her. I also think there is more to them than just revolutionary comrades. He said she pushed him to do this and that and she did not feed him until he made a decision. I laughed at that. He described her like a nagging wife. I thought these women were tough boy.... they inspired their men, helped them do what they had to do, saved then when they had to but also drove them crazy. Even Madame CY and Monk JR have some male/female thing going on. I just love these characters.

There's an arabic saying in my culture that goes along the lines of "behind every great man there's a woman". Women are not always in the spotlight but their role in shaping humanity's history since the dawn of time is undeniable. I'm glad this show is giving them the opportunity to shine through different characters and diverse personalities.

Oh and I was happy to see you mention Women's Pavillion in your previous post. I read the original book by Pearl Buck a few years ago and it's still one of my favourite books.

Best saying ever!!! and I agree.. "Behind every great man is a woman"...

I did not read the book but now that you mentioned it I want to read it. Thank you

I don't remember which American president used those words, think it was Reagen. There were used in an interview and people remember it because  this President talked everything over with his wife before he made some important decisions. Some of those decisions effected  our country. Wish I could remember.   Now you got my brain on high speed until I can remember....lol

Hello to all 6FD fans in here,

I see so many familiar drama enthusiasts in this thread...really nice to meet all of you again. I've been a silent reader and so far I've enjoyed watching the show plus reading your comments and insights. Special thanks to @homura for the Korean History lessons and info. Hope you don't mind I've shared that information with other fans outside from this forum. 

I do see shipping company in the making here...LOL! I know, somehow we tend to like the love story and the romance in any given drama. 6FD is no exception but isn't it a bit too early to predict who will end up with whom? The history facts remain, LM became the Queen even without her husband's love. Who BW loves the most? My answer is ..Who cares? since we were not there during that period of time. Lets just enjoy the story as it was written by the present day writers and not from the historians in Joseon era. Plus let's stick to the characters instead of the real actors/actress. It's not good making remarks base on the actors/actress just because you want your OTP to end up together. 

Personally, I would rather have all the 6FD ladies to have a mind of their own and never have to depend on the men. LM is noticeably a smart person and coming from an influential family, she has the advantage of being more than just a nobleman's wife. Like they said, might as well be in the highest possible rank in the world, the Queen. As far as Boon-yi, I love this character ever since she was a little girl. She was the people's "General" coz she was able to lead her village folks to rise above their poverty. Right now, these ladies do not have the time for love. They are able to put their feelings aside coz during this turbulent time, their minds are focused on helping the group to change the government. It would be interesting to see how these ladies contributed their hearts to building a new nation...and I am all for that. 

• Like 11

Guest Zu Shinoda

@Zu Shinoda I know right? That man has a beautiful voice. The song is called "Green Mountain Special Tune" or smt. I read somewhere that it's originally a poem and they turned it so beautifully into a song in the drama. I cried when he was singing it, and later when Gap Boon sang it too....so beautiful and sad. :tears:

tumblr_mcxu7oqnN41rzhxvpo1_500.gif

I hope they will sing it together, later...a beautiful ballad.. :phew::lol:

yup.....it so beautiful song ...i kinda addicted to song...hope our dream 2 see them sing together will become reality....btw tq 4 the info...

Guest Zu Shinoda

hellooo.......did anyone know what song that byun yo han used  to sing? very very sad song....but i love it....

homura bf posted all the information plus the original song link - i dont remember exactly what page ill also scroll back and if i find it bf you ill repost it

oh really? tq dear...