Guest chajoowon

BTW isnt BW dressed rather simply for a wedding dont they usually have a more colored gown for formal events?

We usually see nobles get married in dramas in Joseon era where it was more colorful clothing than in late Goryeo era. I also wonder if it is because its LSG family, the general doesnt like grand weddings like the petty nobles he dislikes ?

About BY and the new lady there is no way her almost slave girl status can marry high noble like BW, i think she knows her place will never be official with him.  She is a survivor, not naive and greedy. Only potential problem i think is the new wife can be surprised there is a low class girl that is loved, trusted, works with BW in their serious plans.  If she gets jealous he has a favorite woman he trust in all things it can get tricky.   She can practically kill BY because of her low status without a problem.  This is not Joseon era yet where the concubine could become holy mother of the king, was protected.  

that would have been my next question, would BW take BY as a concubine ... 

Well BW must take her as concubine soon or lose her because its 5-6 years left until the war really begins and 9 years until his father becomes first king of Joseon.  He cant promise her more than regular concubine right now as he is 16-17 and not power hungry royal prince yet.

BTW isnt BW dressed rather simply for a wedding dont they usually have a more colored gown for formal events?

We usually see nobles get married in dramas in Joseon era where it was more colorful clothing than in late Goryeo era. I also wonder if it is because its LSG family, the general doesnt like grand weddings like the petty nobles he dislikes ?

About BY and the new lady there is no way her almost slave girl status can marry high noble like BW, i think she knows her place will never be official with him.  She is a survivor, not naive and greedy. Only potential problem i think is the new wife can be surprised there is a low class girl that is loved, trusted, works with BW in their serious plans.  If she gets jealous he has a favorite woman he trust in all things it can get tricky.   She can practically kill BY because of her low status without a problem.  This is not Joseon era yet where the concubine could become holy mother of the king, was protected.  

Well BW must take her as concubine soon or lose her because its 5-6 years left until the war really begins and 9 years until his father becomes first king of Joseon.  He cant promise her more than regular concubine right now as he is 16-17 and not power hungry royal prince yet.

i keep forgetting how young they are, btw how old is Lady Min now?

• Like 1

I read yesterday some Taejong of Joseon history and I find how many children he have...;)

• Consorts and their Respective Issue:
  1. Queen Wongyeong of the Yeoheung Min clan (원경왕후 민씨, July 11, 1365 – July 10, 1420)[2]
    1. 3 unnamed sons
    2. Yi Je, the Grand Prince Yangnyeong (이제 양녕대군, 1394-September 7, 1462), 4th son[3]
    3. Yi Bo, the Grand Prince Hyoryeong (이보 효령대군, 1396–1486), 5th son
    4. Yi Do, the Grand Prince Chungnyeong (이도 충녕대군), 6th son - Sejong the Great of Joseon
    5. Yi Jong, the Grand Prince Seongnyeong (이종 성녕대군, July 9, 1405 – February 4, 1418), 7th son
      1. Yi Yong, the Grand Prince Anpyeong (이용 안평대군, 1418–October 18, 1453), 1st adopted son; his older brother Sejong's 3rd son
      2. Yi Ui, the Prince Woncheon (이의 원천군, 1423-1476), 2nd adopted son; his older brother Prince Hyoryeong's 6th son
    6. Princess Jeongsun (정순공주, 1385–1460), 1st daughter[4]
    7. Princess Gyeongjeong (경정공주, ?–1455),[5] 2nd daughter[6]
    8. Princess Gyeongan (경안공주, 1393–1415), 3rd daughter[7]
    9. Princess Jeongseon (정선공주, 1404–January 25, 1424), 4th daughter[8]
  2. Royal Concubine Hyo of the Cheongpung Kim clan (효빈 김씨, ?–1454)[9][10]
    1. Yi Bi, the Prince Gyeongnyeong (이비 경녕군, 1395(?)–1458), Only son
  3. Royal Councubine Shin of the Yeongwol Shin clan (신빈 신씨, ?–1453)[11][12][13]
    1. Yi In, Prince Hamnyeong (이인 함녕군, ?–1467), 1st son
    2. Yi Jeong, Prince Onnyeong (이정 온녕군, 1407–1453), 2nd son
    3. Princess Jeongshin (정신옹주, dates unknown), 1st daughter[14]
    4. Princess Jeongjeong (정정옹주, dates unknown), 2nd daughter[15]
    5. Princess Sukjeong (숙정옹주, dates unknown), 3rd daughter[16]
    6. Princess Suknyeong (숙녕옹주, dates unknown), 4th daughter[17]
    7. Princess Sukgyeong (숙경옹주, dates unknown), 5th daughter[18]
    8. Princess Sukgeun (숙근옹주, ?–1450), 6th daughter[19]
    9. Princess Soshin (소신옹주), 7th daughter[20]
  4. Royal Concubine Seon of the Ahn clan (선빈 안씨, ?–1468)[21][22]
    1. Yi Chi, Prince Ik-nyeong (이치 익녕군, 1422–1464), Only and youngest son
    2. Princess Sosuk (소숙옹주, ?-1456), 1st daughter[23]
    3. Princess Gyeongshin (경신옹주, dates unknown), 2nd daughter[24]
    4. An unknown 3rd daughter
  5. Royal Concubine Ui of the Kwon clan (의빈 권씨, dates unknown)[25][26][27]
    1. Princess Jeonghye (정혜옹주, ?-1424), Only daughter[28]
  6. Royal Concubine So of the No clan (소빈 노씨, ?–1479)[29][30]
    1. Princess Sukhye (숙혜옹주, ?–1464), Only daughter[31]
  7. Royal Concubine Myeong of the Andong Kim clan (명빈 김씨)
    1. Princess Sukan (숙안옹주, ?-1464), Only daughter[32]
  8. Royal Concubine Jeong of the Go clan (정빈 고씨, ?–1426)[33]
    1. Yi Nong, Prince Geunnyeong (이농 근녕군, 1411-1462), Only son[34]
  9. Decent Beauty Lady Choi (숙의 최씨, dates unknown)
    1. Yi Ta, Prince Huiryeong (이타 희령군, ?-1465), Only son
    2. An unnamed daughter
  10. Princess Deoksuk of the Yi clan (덕숙옹주 이씨)
    1. Yi Gan, Prince Huryeong (이간 후령군, ?-1465), Only son
    2. Princess Suksun (숙순옹주, dates unknown), Only daughter[35]
  11. Lady Ahn (안씨)
    1. Yi Ji, Prince Hyeryeong (이지 혜령군, 1407–1440), Only son
  12. Lady Sukgong of the Kim clan (숙공궁주 김씨)
    1. No issue
  13. Lady Uijeong of the Jo clan (의정궁주 조씨)
    1. No issue
  14. Lady Hyesun of the Yi clan (혜순궁주 이씨)
    1. No issue
  15. Lady Shinsun of the Yi clan (신순궁주 이씨)
    1. No issue
  16. Princess Hyeseon of the Hong clan (혜선옹주 홍씨)
    1. No issue
  17. Princess Sunhye of the Jang clan (순혜옹주 장씨)
    1. No issue
  18. Geum Yeong, Princess Seogyeong (금영 서경옹주)
    1. No issue
  • Like 4

Guest chajoowon

i keep forgetting how young they are, btw how old is Lady Min now?

She is born 1365 so she is two years older than BW, she is 18 years olds while he is 16.   So its time, being the age to marry in those times.

thanx @Netka85 thats a great list

and he sure ahd a lot of children he can built a country with these many children 

and i see allof the Ladies are from some clan so we can assume there were more that didnt reach any status like would be BY 

Edited by nevill
  • Like 3

Like I said I read more about Joseon dynasty and I am now curious how screenwriters show us fratricidal conflict between princes...BW is really contrversial figure and scary.This going be a long journey with more blood and plotting... 

• Like 2

Guest chajoowon

Like I said I read more about Joseon dynasty and I am now curious how screenwriters show us fratricidal conflict between princes...BW is really contrversial figure and scary.This going be a long journey with more blood and plotting... 

BW is controversial as a king yeah and i really wonder how long the series will show timeline wise.  Will it show more nauced picture of him than other dramas.  Him destroying enemies so Sejong can become the crown prince, next king and making important culture reforms is rarely shown in his tyrant drama villain portrayals...

Its clear there is no room for Sejong the great to operate if Taejong didnt clear away the enemies, made the king the absolute power.  Otherwise Sejong a puppet for JDJ and co.

I think this drama end when BW become a king. I bet that in last episode BW sit on the throne...

i think the drama will show the conflict between BW as king to JDJ since both of them are the major leads and the drama i think will culminate in JDJ death following their conflict

• Like 2

I enjoy reading recaps and comments on this show, no matter where they are. I look forward to and am appreciative of the different or similar views that fellow watchers/fans has on the show including my own when done. Episode 12 can be called the Beginning of the revolution for Joseon which as we are aware will not happen until around 5+ years later.  Most of the "real players i.e. Dragons 1-3" are now set in their positions to change Goryeo.  I liked everything about this episode but my favorite 2 scenes were when LSG confronted LIG on his crap and BW did the same while being tortured with the news of his father's defeat. They were amazing and it makes one realize & appreciate what an outstanding cast this show has with everyone being the character they are supposed to be.  Because of the quality of the acting crew I am sure that they are under pressure to perform as well as their fellow co-worker, competition and comradery a good drama makes.

There has been a lot of speculation & discussions about Boon Yi, her relationship with BW and his future wife etc.  It has to be kept in mind that Boon Yi is not a real character but one that was customized for the show.  BW in the future was considered a tyrant and yet he was loved by the people.  JDJ called him a “headache & a mobster".  To me because of his actions in the future against the "ruling class - nobles" he allowed his people of the country to actually live.  Boon Yi is the "common people of his country" who he loved and was loved in return.  Boon Yi represents what he fought for, why and against whom this fight was against.  Whatever happens to Boon Yi be it good or bad, keep in mind that she will in no way be his wife or mother of his children, being a fictional concubine is a possibility, partner is a definite as she is by his side until the drama powers that be decides no longer in the future episodes.  So for now we as viewers should savor and enjoy the romance between BW/BY as it’s likely to be temporary but the love everlasting for Joseon’s people.   It’s the same with YH especially with her connection to JDJ & her sad fate with Bang Ji.  Her character is fictional and yet she is expected to become JDJ’s woman in the future.  YH is also representative of the people but due to being damaged in the past her view of the world is a hope that is somewhat twisted with hate & bitterness in making it “right”, her solutions match that of the nobles/politicians.  YH is both perceptive and narrow minded in her vision of the country and concept of people which explains her partnership with JDJ.  In a unique way YH represents the nobles.

BW will become a student of JDJ where he learned a lot, however in the case of ruling/power that is where they differ which of course has been based on their individual observation of “dodang/government”.  Both men are right, the key however is what would have worked best at that time in order for the country to move forward and surprisingly it was BW’s expunging solution because in some ways JDJ was duplicating the previous government’s principles which caused its downfall. BW had to take action in order to eliminate that from happening, he is not interested in being a puppet for the nobles/JDJ and not for the people/BY.   Though JDJ reforms were to help the people of the country the power was left in the same hands of the self-serving nobles which is unlikely to work without the right king.  BW’s reforms served the people, his successor due to his father’s actions was freely able to strengthen and make the country greater. 

Every episode is promising and from the preview we will not be disappointed with the counterattack at dodang – LSG under the tutelage of JDJ & the start of their dynamics; JDJ seem to discover the relationship of BY/BW; BY/BW romance taking an active turn and Bang Ji finding out more secrets of YH.  I am glad to see the brothers taking a more active role, they have been silent too long.  Although I do like MH the comedic component of his character etc. it is getting a bit draggy which I hope they change soon.

Keeping in mind that this is a 50 episode drama, each section has its special arc and this is likely to be Yoo Ah In's last drama before enlisting in the military, the anxiousness to watch the next episode is getting to me.

Gone for now and have a good rest of the week.

• Like 11

Guest chajoowon

I enjoy reading recaps and comments on this show, no matter where they are. I look forward to and am appreciative of the different or similar views that fellow watchers/fans has on the show including my own when done. Episode 12 can be called the Beginning of the revolution for Joseon which as we are aware will not happen until around 5+ years later.  Most of the "real players i.e. Dragons 1-3" are now set in their positions to change Goryeo.  I liked everything about this episode but my favorite 2 scenes were when LSG confronted LIG on his crap and BW did the same while being tortured with the news of his father's defeat. They were amazing and it makes one realize & appreciate what an outstanding cast this show has with everyone being the character they are supposed to be.  Because of the quality of the acting crew I am sure that they are under pressure to perform as well as their fellow co-worker, competition and comradery a good drama makes.

There has been a lot of speculation & discussions about Boon Yi, her relationship with BW and his future wife etc.  It has to be kept in mind that Boon Yi is not a real character but one that was customized for the show.  BW in the future was considered a tyrant and yet he was loved by the people.  JDJ called him a “headache & a mobster".  To me because of his actions in the future against the "ruling class - nobles" he allowed his people of the country to actually live.  Boon Yi is the "common people of his country" who he loved and was loved in return.  Boon Yi represents what he fought for, why and against whom this fight was against.  Whatever happens to Boon Yi be it good or bad, keep in mind that she will in no way be his wife or mother of his children, being a fictional concubine is a possibility, partner is a definite as she is by his side until the drama powers that be decides no longer in the future episodes.  So for now we as viewers should savor and enjoy the romance between BW/BY as it’s likely to be temporary but the love everlasting for Joseon’s people.   It’s the same with YH especially with her connection to JDJ & her sad fate with Bang Ji.  Her character is fictional and yet she is expected to become JDJ’s woman in the future.  YH is also representative of the people but due to being damaged in the past her view of the world is a hope that is somewhat twisted with hate & bitterness in making it “right”, her solutions match that of the nobles/politicians.  YH is both perceptive and narrow minded in her vision of the country and concept of people which explains her partnership with JDJ.  In a unique way YH represents the nobles.

BW will become a student of JDJ where he learned a lot, however in the case of ruling/power that is where they differ which of course has been based on their individual observation of “dodang/government”.  Both men are right, the key however is what would have worked best at that time in order for the country to move forward and surprisingly it was BW’s expunging solution because in some ways JDJ was duplicating the previous government’s principles which caused its downfall. BW had to take action in order to eliminate that from happening, he is not interested in being a puppet for the nobles/JDJ and not for the people/BY.   Though JDJ reforms were to help the people of the country the power was left in the same hands of the self-serving nobles which is unlikely to work without the right king.  BW’s reforms served the people, his successor due to his father’s actions was freely able to strengthen and make the country greater. 

Every episode is promising and from the preview we will not be disappointed with the counterattack at dodang – LSG under the tutelage of JDJ & the start of their dynamics; JDJ seem to discover the relationship of BY/BW; BY/BW romance taking an active turn and Bang Ji finding out more secrets of YH.  I am glad to see the brothers taking a more active role, they have been silent too long.  Although I do like MH the comedic component of his character etc. it is getting a bit draggy which I hope they change soon.

Keeping in mind that this is a 50 episode drama, each section has its special arc and this is likely to be Yoo Ah In's last drama before enlisting in the military, the anxiousness to watch the next episode is getting to me.

Gone for now and have a good rest of the week.

It doesnt matter really for the story if BY is fictional or not because for the drama she is playing BW ally, lover on his side.  Not on JDJ side like BJ, YH later in the story, struggle between the king, his future adviser.  Bang Won as a king had many potential real historical Boon Yi since other than the queen he had several royal concubine that had high ranking.  We dont know if there was a real version Boon Yi he preferred, favored and who was always on his side politically.

Edited by chajoowon

This is me in this drama:   

signpost.jpg 

and..I am likely to remain that way..thank goodness for dramabeans recaps !

But.. I am surprisingly loving this drama..episode 12 was awesome..I have never been a huge fan of Yoo Ah in, but his acting in this is impressive.. actually, all the actors are..luv Moo Hyul  & DS (Byun Yo han)

This drama definitely keeps your interest..I am in for the long haul, eagerly anticipating each episode..

• Like 2

I'm more interested in Boon Yi accepting who her lover is and will become.  She is trusted by JDJ as someone who can help decide big decisions along with him, she has more power than normal poor girl because of her being close to both Bang Won, JDJ. I wonder will she accept sharing a house, with BW and his official wife?  Her pride?  Will she demand be a team, his right hand woman like she is acting like now?

@chajoowon...Yeah, me too. I want to have  Boon Yi and BW intensify their love affair before the other girl comes in. I want some sweet BW/BY moments, some back hugs and listening to poetry or wahtever the people of Goryeo did during their dates. There is some rough time for them to go together so I want romance time for them.

I wonder if his losing BY have anything to do with her parents? Remember in the beginnig they were told not to say there mother's name to anyone ot they will die. I wonder who BY and DS mother is and who the father is and what if someone will realize whose children they are will they both be in danger especially BY? Anyway,

• Like 2

I wonder if his losing BY have anything to do with her parents? Remember in the beginnig they were told not to say there mother's name to anyone ot they will die. I wonder who BY and DS mother is and who the father is and what if someone will realize whose children they are will they both be in danger especially BY? Anyway,

BY and DS mom was a lady in waiting for Queen Noguk and DS was told his mom committed a great crime when he went looking for her, that was why GTM twin brother told him to keep quiet about his mom and never reveal to anyone who his mom is.

BTW does BW loses BY at any point as they are currently together and looks like they would be a couple in future episodes of the drama, when this drama started airing, they was a photo of SSK dressed in the outfit of a woman in the royal family in Joseon, so she will definitely be a royal consort and except for some twist where she does become YSG or Yi Bang Gwa, or one of the other Yi brother's woman, then she is going be a royal concubine for BW.  

• Like 3

Come to think of it, Yi Bang Won hasn't really fought at all, other than the fact he killed 3 scholars during his child days.

The only dragons who have used sword so far are Bangji and Moohyul. Bangwon is the brain like JDJ. I don't think he will draw a sword. Anyway, I'm still not sure if he did kill the 3 scholars at 12 years old by his own hand. I think he used his brain to make them kill each other.

• Like 3

Guest paston15

Been a fan of political historical dramas and movies since god knows when. came across this forum because i wanted to know about the political background this series was based on. Enjoyed reading all the earlier posts especially that of homura's..really grateful..
Now mind you all, this isnt just a romance series and if you looking for one then go watch one with all the romance and spare us all the headache. Enough with who is going to end up with who and the over analyzing of characters...lets watch and see them grow instead of spoiling and drawing unnecessary conclusions about the characters. How nice will it be to discuss and share opinions on what we watch or read. What i find amusing is the fact that some of you here are criticizing characters that haven't yet been introduced into the drama.  How can you draw a conclusion that one is power hungry just because they want to be queen. The queen (actual person) who as at now hasnt even been introduced was known to be depressed later in her marriage to the king due to the killing of her brothers. I like and sometimes dislike the character bong yi and find her different. lets please watch this character and the rest develope beautifully. Enough with making this character look like all she is needed for is romance. I bet the writers have more they want us the viewers to know about their characters. Enjoy the show.

BY and DS mom was a lady in waiting for Queen Noguk and DS was told his mom committed a great crime when he went looking for her, that was why GTM twin brother told him to keep quiet about his mom and never reveal to anyone who his mom is.

BTW does BW loses BY at any point as they are currently together and looks like they would be a couple in future episodes of the drama, when this drama started airing, they was a photo of SSK dressed in the outfit of a woman in the royal family in Joseon, so she will definitely be a royal consort and except for some twist where she does become YSG or Yi Bang Gwa, or one of the other Yi brother's woman, then she is going be a royal concubine for BW.  

Well we know as viewers who the mother is and that she was accused of being a traitor of Goryeo. But the kids themselves do not know and only JDJ and Gil Sun Mae know who the parents of the kids are and the soldier who w was going to kill DS when he was looking for his mother and GSM saved him. So I am thinking that that story line may come up in the future because why bother to say that and not just say that BY and DS are just the children of the villages? There has been speculation, mentioned by some that in the future it is the loss of BY that will make BW the way he is as an angle. I don't know where that came from but it was mentioned from the start.

• Like 2

Been a fan of political historical dramas and movies since god knows when. came across this forum because i wanted to know about the political background this series was based on. Enjoyed reading all the earlier posts especially that of homura's..really grateful..
Now mind you all, this isnt just a romance series and if you looking for one then go watch one with all the romance and spare us all the headache. Enough with who is going to end up with who and the over analyzing of characters...lets watch and see them grow instead of spoiling and drawing unnecessary conclusions about the characters. How nice will it be to discuss and share opinions on what we watch or read. What i find amusing is the fact that some of you here are criticizing characters that haven't yet been introduced into the drama.  How can you draw a conclusion that one is power hungry just because they want to be queen. The queen (actual person) who as at now hasnt even been introduced was known to be depressed later in her marriage to the king due to the killing of her brothers. I like and sometimes dislike the character bong yi and find her different. lets please watch this character and the rest develope beautifully. Enough with making this character look like all she is needed for is romance. I bet the writers have more they want us the viewers to know about their characters. Enjoy the show.

THIS!

Yoo Ah In BTS filming for wedding scene

viewimage.php?id=7bb9c227e2dd36b5&no=29b

viewimage.php?id=7bb9c227e2dd36b5&no=29b

Source: YAI International Facebook

Oops it seems that every picture that I reposted from DC to soompi can't be seen here. Sorry!

CTqC_8aXAAE0Q5l.jpgCTqDEJuWUAQsZ47.jpg

• Like 3

I agree with you and this is a great historical drama and we are lucky to have friends who can give us the historical backgrounds such as @ homura. The romances in the story are the fictional characters, so historically the romance being discussed did not even exist but who knows we the people of the present moment were not there. Anyway it is the writers who introduced the story of romance. This is not just of history but the political climate of that day that transcended time and still true to today. The fictional romances and stories are what gives color to the story and they represent the struggles of that time and why there was a change in dynasty, and those struggles are still true of the present.  I agree and if there needs to be a discussion it should be of what happened in the episode and not about what may happen not knowing or without reference to the historical background. And maybe try to look at what the writers are trying to convey through the story of romances. All the characters are complex and even the side characters give color to the story and what I really find fascinating are the conversations because they are deep. The conversations of JDJ with YH are great, she asks questions of why he did this or that and if one listens carefully at what JDJ is saying, he is trying to teach her morals of what happens if he did what she suggested. What he said about saving BW and BW taking responsibility for what he started. It is about an action having an effect and the effect being a cause and snowballing, about owning and taking responsibility for what one started. He was also testing the strength in mind and convictions of BW. The conversation of dumbhead investigator and BW for me was deep in that is where BW realized that he was looking at his father through the eyes of the 10 year old who got disappointed because his father was not what he thought. It was during that conversation when he talked proudly about the battles his father had won and why he was not defeated in battle that his perspective about his father changed to a more rounded one but I am still not sure if he realizes why his father values honor. The conversation between YIG and YSG tells us more of the character of YSG and what being honorable means to him. All the conversations are quick witted including the funny ones such as the Goryeo/goryeo conversation of BW and MH. The romance of YJ and DS is of despair of how their lives were torn their hopes and dreams booted into dust and that is what the people are feeling. When he sang the gooseberry song, the people of the villages were there listening and crying with him. No nobility was there crying but the scholar JDJ was there. He also feels the struggle. The romance of BY and BW is significant to let the audience see BW differently that he was not the auger everyone sees him as that he was a man who loved deeply as a kid and as a man and who was a noble who undersstood the struggles of his people as in BY. He understands all of his people and BY represent the struggling people with dreams and hopes and strength to fight for it. That is what BY is for BW and BW is the one who gives her hope and strength to fight. Both are important to each other. The queen he will marry is the one represents power. So BY is justice and love and the queen to be is power. BW needs both.

So I for one love the storytelling in this drama including the romances it flavors the story importantly but I shall try to see the romance relation to history and the significance it conveys. 

As for pure historical dramas, Jing Birok is a good one, and the movie "The Admiral" excellent movie. "Ode to My Father" is also a good one but I think that was fiction but yet rich in history. I love "The Throne" cried the whole time. Maybe you already have these suggested movies and dramas. 

Thank you for your post.

Edited by zenya22
  • Like 5