I watched ep 49 early this morning before going to work, sobbed non stop in the middle... Bang Won ah! Too busy at work today to write any comments yet, I think might become the best Korean drama I have ever watched.

And I have been trying to search for some of the filming locations for SFD in Korea, but not very sure which scenes were filmed there before for some of the sites, one of the people who were reading my page told me that she went to KOFIC Namgyangju Studios today, and it is the place where the swordfight between Gil Taemi and Bang Ji was filmed.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/%E8%97%9D%E5%81%BD%E6%96%87%E9%9D%92%E9%81%8A%E9%9F%93%E5%9C%8B-art-lover-travels-in-korea/%E5%85%AD%E9%BE%8D%E9%A3%9B%E5%A4%A9%E6%8B%8D%E6%94%9D%E5%A0%B4%E5%9C%B0-%E5%8D%97%E6%A5%8A%E5%B7%9E%E7%B6%9C%E5%90%88%E6%94%9D%E5%BD%B1%E6%89%80-six-flying-dragons-filming-location-kofic-namgyangju-studios-%EB%82%A8/1009814545757057

• Like 5

3 hours ago, oyeleyeolusina said:

Everyone who has watched the TWDR is saying how extreme and intense YBW was in the tree but almost everyone has changed in the tree from how they were in SFD. for example MH who in SFD is always contemplating whether it is right or not to kill someone expect when he is not fighting against a fellow warrior, in the tree had no problem telling Yi Do that he should kill Ddol-Bok, when he was blaming Yi Do for the death of his father in the shack and Ddol-Bok was still a child then but MH has changed so much in the tree, that he was ready to kill anyone who he saw as been against Yi Do. 

I thought that Muhyuls behaviour against Ddol-bok was actually well explained through Six Flying Dragons. He has seen a whole dynasty coming to an end, because one bodyguard hesitated to kill a teenage warrior that was charging at her without a sword. 

Also he maybe was conflicted about whether to kill the kid or not, because a little bit later he contemplated the same problem again after young Ddol-bok attacked him with a sword and at that point he told Ddol-bok to get out of the place if he wants to live. I don't know though, if this was triggered because he didn't want to kill a child or because he wanted to honor Lee Do's decision.

The Muhyul in Six Flying Dragons has a little bit a similar problem like Alcheon in Queen Seondeok. The latter found himself in situations where the ideals of the Hwarang Codex clashed. Muhyul in Six Flying Dragons often contemplates the behaviour or advices of other warriors that represents different parts of the warrior code. He then finds himself in situations where these ideals clash. Thus he is often in situation where he is in a moral dilemma. So he is now starting to learn to take responsibility for the action he takes when he only can choose between wrong or wrong. 

I also have the feeling that Muhyul in Six Flying Dragons as well as in Tree With Deep Roots is constantly learning and growing and both series together build a well done circle, where the end kind of comes back to the beginning, but the actions in the end that are similar to the beginning are done with awareness.

Besides of Guan Yu Muhyul reminds me a little bit of Parzival. Probably because of the women. Parzival also had a soft spot for women. And he was often guided by women. Like Muhyul often gets advice from Boon-yi. Haha, would that make Lee Do the Holy Grail then. :)

I really like it that Muhyul and Lee Bangji are so very, very different from each other. They are nearly opposites. But both of them are very likable in their own way.

• Like 7

On 21/3/2016 at 4:25 PM, homura said:

The following is MY SPECULATION on episode 49 based on the text & video previews.

• Bang-Won permits Boon-Yi to leave with her people.
  • Cheok Sa-Gwang comes to say good-bye to Boon-Yi. She declines Boon-Yi's offer to leave together, saying she has her own thing to do.
  • During the discussion, Boon-Yi realizes that Cheok Sa-Gwang is the warrior who killed Young-Gyu in the armoury. She thinks Bang-Won will be in danger to be killed by Cheok Sa-Gwang.
  • Nameless attempts to poison Bang-Won in the banquet. Yi Bang-Ji will be known as his murderer.
  • Boon-Yi breaks into the banquet and tells Bang-Won "I came to covey a message that you should spit up the worm now." When she was talking with Bang-Won about the worm (ep 18), she said... if that worm swallows Bang-Won up, she is going to kill him. Bang-Won said "OK. but before you kill me, can you tell me just once?" "I got it. You bad worm! Throw up Bang-Won now! Like this?" "Yes. You have to do it like that."  So, she is now telling Bang-Won that he will be killed soon. Right?
  • Bang-Won realizes from her message that he is in danger, and tries to leave the banquet with Ha Ryun and Boon-Yi.
  • Yeon-Hyang and Bang-Ji are embarrassed at Boon-Yi's unexpected action. They don't know that she loves him.
  • Master Yooksan orders Nameless soldiers to kill them all. Bang-Won seems to have no guard to protect him.
  • At that moment, Cheok Sa-Gwang suddenly breaks into them and kills the Nameless soldiers.
  • Bang-Ji has to fight with Cheok Sa-Gwang to protect his mother.
  • Meanwhile, Bang-Won, Ha Ryun, and Boon-Yi escaped.
  • Moo-Hyul comes to rescue them.

I avoided reading your speculation because i dun wanna be spoiled, and today I went back to read it, you got it totally right! :grimace:

I will miss this drama a lot, I still haven't watched the last episode yet, and there is another drama that has a rather special importance in my life, so I am still internally debating about it, I think SFD might become the drama I like the most.

Even though it is supposed to be about six dragons, for me, it is more like the story of Bang Won's growth/development in his life. And ep 49 is so good in contrasting his before/after, how he has changed, and all small reminders that made BW thought about the old days also made me sob like crazy this morning when i watched. And how BW recognised the real reason why BY agreed to marry him :dissapointed_relieved: Also, MH's reminder to him about his dreams.

I dunno how I am going to adjust to Mon/Tues without this drama, and I guess I will rewatch SFD multiple times. I will miss this discussion forum so much and thanks to all of you for all the discussion here, it made the drama all the more enjoyable, of course especially @homura

• Like 8

Poor LBW with BY & MH both leaving him. He may be a ruthless person in history but as a viewer who considered this drama as a fiction, I truly empathize with his character. 

MH, BJ fighting & protecting each other during the fight against CSG were truly awesome. CSG character reminded me of 'Kill Bill' heroine. 

From the Epi 5o preview, I'm happy to see a glimpse of the ending. 

The whole casts and crews have worked very hard to endure the cold weather. I cannot forget BTS interview of Han Ye Ri finally broke down and cried during one of the scene because of the extreme cold weather. Everyone deserved highest respect and admiration from me. This is the best sageuk drama since TWDR. So many memorable characters and scenes from beginning till the end.

Of course, I'd have wish for extension, at least 1 or 2 more episodes but it is impossible due to YAI entering NS soon.

I wonder if SFD qualify for any other drama award this year since they have won some awards in 2015. YAI should have won SBS Daesang last year as his portrayal of LBW is so convincing and magnetizing. Nam Da Reum, this young actor definitely will be the next one to watch in future.

One thing I appreciated, while watching this drama, there is no awkward scene due to poor acting or unnecessary dragging scene. The sword fighting scenes are just superbly directed.

So sad, another great drama finishing tonight. Looks like I'll have only DOTs and TVN dramas to keep me occupy for the next few mths. It's also a good time to re run SFD & TWDR.

• Like 9

The onslaught of IG posts is really driving home that it is really the end, and I cannot even begin to express my emotions, knowing that I will miss the characters and this universe very much once it is over. Certainly, a rewatch of Tree after SFD concludes is in order. Am so loathe to see them go...

• Like 8

Reading an interview of the scriptwriters, sorry I am not going to translate it right now, as I wanna rewatch ep 49 tonight before I go to bed early (so i can get up to watch ep 50 tomorrow)

Some interesting stuff:

1. Bugs the scriptwriters worried about: Jo Min-Soo. In history, he left politics quietly, they changed it because they thought it is quite impossible that happened at that time, so there might be some incidents of conflicts that are not recorded. They thought the descendants of him might criticise about this, but they viewed it positively.

2. The character they love the most: all, but if they need to choose, the people, and BJ, MH, BY are the representatives of the people

3. The minor roles that they paid special attention in writing: Gil Tae Mi and Jo Young Gyoo

4. Next work: not planned yet, but if they are going to write one, after TWDR, would it be Deep Water in the Spring? It would be on Prince Suyang's coup in 145, but that is a tragedy with no good people, just a story of bad people. Sejo (Prince Suyang) is the son of Sejong whom he loved, but after he became the king, he ended Sejong's tradition of scholars (T/N: I am not sure what he did, so I just guessed from the meaning of the word, I am not sure if this is the right interpretation), and he was different from BW, he was a king who was swayed by his officials, BW was so much more brilliant than him, BW dealt with all the bad officials for Sejong, and Han Myung Hoi would become Milbon's traitor. 

However, they are worried if the audience will be able to accept that there are no good people in this drama, and the audience will become a third party watching the conflicts. There is no examples of success for this sort of drama in Korea, so it is a risk to take if they are going to do it.

Original Article: http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201603220903419110

I am quite busy, so didn't actually cross check with the original for most of the stuff, apart from some of the names and the stuff I am not sure about in this Chinese translation, most of the stuff I translated from were from this Chinese interview translation

http://www.weibo.com/ttarticle/p/show?id=2309403955922006359219

• Like 9

Spoilers for Episode 50 (watching it live)

Spoiler

HR catches up to BY and BW. They all escape as MH and GSM fight.

GSM loses to MH. MH goes to find BJ and CSG.

Yooksan realizes that BY's knows that BJ is her son.

BY's mom finds GSM about to die. As she's looking at GSM, Yooksan tries to kill her from behind, but GSM kills him just before he dies.

MH and BJ fight and kill CSG. Just before she dies she thanks them for killing her before she dies. MH remembers when CSG thanked him for saving her.

BY's mom talks to BJ and BY. I think BJ is talking about going with their mom and BY talks about going away? I'm not sure.

• Like 4

Episode 50 spoilers part 2

Spoiler

Juk Ryong talking with Ha Ryun. 

Next day. MH returns the sword, gives BY's letter and the coat string back to BW.

BW reads the letter (as we saw in the preview) and cries.

2 years pass.

• Like 3

Guest ktiminie

Add a screencap of that scene in spoiler...

1 minute ago, Ayame said:

Episode 50 spoilers part 2

Hide contents

Juk Ryong talking with Ha Ryun. 

Next day. MH returns the sword, gives BY's letter and the coat string back to BW.

BW reads the letter (as we saw in the preview) and cries.

2 years pass.

Spoiler

8ad442.jpg

Episode 50 spoilers part 3

Spoiler

There's a lot of things happening at once and I'm not fluent in Korean lol, but BW is becoming King.

I think MDK's brothers drank poison to die, and know she's yelling at BW.

And know we're at the part where Lee Do appears (what we saw in the preview clip).

Lee Do follows BW and begs him. When Lee Do talks, BW is reminded of BY.

Next scene MH is seen talking to local kids. Lol.

The kids leave, and BW goes to see MH. BW and MH are talking. BW introduces Lee Do to MH. 

Then MH and BW are outside talking. I think MH asks BW if he misses BY?

The show BY with the people.

MH goes to BY to ask her to see BW.

They're at the beach, but BY decides to watch BW from far away. 

BY runs into Lee Do, and looks at him. She cries and asks to hug him.

• Like 6

I've been lurking here the entire drama and just wanted to comment before it ended (just in case) so I finally reset my password so I could log in. 

Such a great sageuk and I truly enjoyed this prequel to TWDR. I also enjoyed reading all of your thoughts. 

• Like 7