WOW @liddi your comment just like the drama made me cry , laugh and think and even scared  - really loved it especially your insight about DS, BY, LM and MH

btw - what does it mean rice cooker- as i wrote bf there were subs - i thought they said fat

rice cooker - provider? 

really loved you comment and it made me scared for BY and MH grandma - i rally hope MH will have some of the "normality" BY described 

• Like 4

WOW @liddi your comment just like the drama made me cry , laugh and think and even scared  - really loved it especially your insight about DS, BY, LM and MH

btw - what does it mean rice cooker- as i wrote bf there were subs - i thought they said fat

rice cooker - provider? 

really loved you comment and it made me scared for BY and MH grandma - i rally hope MH will have some of the "normality" BY described 

I think rice cooker meant provider for his people...

funny child vs adult

cr: @allkcouple

Whats that pic bout? may i know who's the girl with YAI? (At the 2nd row on the right?)

Isit SSK? No? seems not lol:phew:

of course the gown woman is SSK - the talented multiple faces of SSK 

some of the pic are from FK and some Fashion shoot 

the children are the child version of BW & BY also in fashion shoot 

the specific pic you asked about is the one from Fashion King  - very sexy there are some other versions of them together 

fashion-shinsekyung-beauty2.jpg

Edited by nevill
  • Like 4

@nevill, @USAFarmgirl Thank you for your kind words. It is to the credit of the quality of this drama that it makes us so invested in the lives of the characters, despite being almost overwhelming in its sheer number.

I actually watched Ep15 C-subbed first... so that part was translated as 饭桶, which literally means rice bucket/barrel, not rice cooker as per English subs. @homura, could you please help to clarify what Moo Hyul was actually saying? My interpretation is that they view YBW as the one who makes provision for them in terms of their needs... as @USAFarmgirl says, their provider.

• Like 4

@liddi @USAFarmgirl just wanted to add that after they succeeded in getting the signs MH ask if he new about the gunpowder and BH said that no he didnt and he rationalize his action as if they did the right thing instead of coerced  into it

showing us how his mind work and will work - in a sense how he rationalize the other bad things he will do in the future 

Edited by nevill
  • Like 3

of course the gown woman is SSK - the talented multiple faces of SSK 

some of the pic are from FK and some Fashion shoot 

the children are the shid version of BW & BY also in fashion shoot 

LOL i see, im somewhat confuse bout those kids before :sweatingbullets:

Still pics, (Sry if this already posted here lol

Media preview

Media preview

Media preview

12243075_969285469795778_127811207675524

Media preview

Media preview

Media preview

• Like 6

@nevill My understanding from C-subs is slightly different in that last scene when YBW explains his analysis to YG. If I did not misinterpret it, this is what was said based on C-subs:

YG: Can we really do that? Threaten so many powerful people?
YBW: They will not think that they signed because they were threatened. 
YG: Why?
YBW: "I, Hwangryeo Min etc etc did not yield to the threat of gunpowder. Rather, I signed for the sake of the greater good." They will justify their actions in this way. That is how they will cover up their humiliation and shame.

which once again showcases YBW's razor sharp understanding of the people he seeks to subdue, and will continue to subdue in future.

• Like 7

@nevill My understanding from C-subs is slightly different in that last scene when YBW explains his analysis to YG. If I did not misinterpret it, this is what was said based on C-subs:

YG: Can we really do that? Threaten so many powerful people?
YBW: They will not think that they signed because they were threatened. 
YG: Why?
YBW: "I, Hwangryeo Min etc etc did not yield to the threat of gunpowder. Rather, I signed for the sake of the greater good." They will justify their actions in this way. That is how they will cover up their humiliation and shame.

which once again showcases YBW's razor sharp understanding of the people he seeks to subdue, and will continue to subdue in future.

thanx - i thought it was his rationalization not their 

SSK enjoying the coffee MGY sent with script in her hand- good to have coffee

Edited by nevill
  • Like 5

On 11/25/2015, 2:38:19, liddi said:

What an amazing bookend to this week's episodes, after the lull from last week. The pivotal moment when all 6 dragons finally converge - dazzling, moving and humorous! And on the other end, YBW's coercion of Haedonggap Clan to sign the petition for YIG, HIB and GTM's impeachment, fraught with tension as their very survival lies at stake. Absolutely mesmerising!

BYH brings Ddang Sae's torment to life in every single episode... but after last week, I was getting a little weary of seeing him so tragic, and couldn't wait for him to find renewed purpose and vision beside JDJ and YSG. And it's finally here! Ddang Sae's reasons for finally supporting them moved me to tears... far more than his reunion with Boon Yi, because that is the perfect example of his love - that while not subscribing to JDJ and YSG's vision, he would give his all to the cause for the love of Boon Yi and Yeon Hee, so that they might realise their dreams. It mattered not that he was unconvinced... what was important was their happiness. And for that, I wept once more for Ddang Sae. As we travel with him, I hope that one day, their vision will become his as well, and that he too, will find personal meaning in fighting for it, not just because of the ones he love.

I love the dynamics between YSG and JDJ... while JDJ is the kingmaker, the former is certainly no pushover that JDJ can manipulate at whim. We first see this last week when JDJ viewed him with renewed respect, knowing his motivations for taking the hard road, instead of working with HIB for a while longer. This is again evident in Ep16, when without explaining his reasons for being able to provide the justification to go against HIB and cohorts instead of fleeing, YSG demands and convinces JDJ to come up with a counterattack to HIB's trap. What an incredible show of authority on YSG's part, and trust on JDJ's... and I am in awe anew at the man who would be king.

It is a little frustrating to see JDJ continuing to underestimate his opponents, a decision which almost overturned the entire game for them. Perhaps it has to do with the belief in his (already proven fallible) judgment that he understands the Triumvirate, especially HIB... but to actually believe that HIB would have crossed the line and gone against the Haedonggap Clan due to his power madness was a mistake which was costly and almost fatal. However, despite my frustrations, I love that this showcased his willingness to listen, even when he believes otherwise... which makes him as much a teacher, as one who is willing to be taught... be it from YSG, YBW or even Ddang Sae. And that makes him a great man. 

As for YBW, we are reminded of the terrifying boy who planted trees to represent his enemies and cut them down as he destroyed them - starting with the 3 scholars whose blood was all over him when he came home one night so many years ago. His clarity in understanding HIB, because he too is the other side of the same coin, the way he held the entire Haedonggap Clan hostage and cut their protests down first with reason, then with threats of violence to finally securing his goal... this is the stirrings of a man who has all the makings of the king of the times... one who would brook no opposition to his will. What a stark contrast to his teacher, and Nam Eun's apprehension will prove to be well founded. I believe JDJ gleans this of YBW as well, and we are already starting to see why mentor and disciple would one day turn on each other as their ideologies clash.

My thoughts regarding Boon Yi can be encapsulated in this one brief scene, when she explains why she chose to give YBW the box of rocks instead of gunpowder - because the explosives are extremely dangerous. That line describes who I believe she is and will be in YBW's life, the one to diffuse him and stop him from giving in totally to the darkness that is very much a part of him. And that, to me, foreshadows her fate in the future... one that could not possibly end well, both for her as well as them... knowing as we do, the bloodbath that would ensue in the years to come.

We get to see more and more just how formidable a woman Lady Min is - strong-willed, extremely intelligent and pragmatic - more than a match for her husband. How brilliantly she turned the tables on him with the blank piece of paper in exchange for his family secret during their deal... and how quickly she grasps the situation after and reacts accordingly. Ultimately she is his female equivalent, weighing the outcome and making her decision in the split instant, one that would see her and her clan unaffected no matter where the cards fall. Theirs is a union that is birthed by political gain, certainly without the sentimentality of BY and YBW's love, but one that I look forward to seeing even more of, as two brilliant minds partner together to forge their way into realising the destiny of their choosing.

Moo Hyul remains blissfully in his cocoon, so I am still waiting for him to finally rise up to be the dragon he is meant to be. Yet  I truly anticipate his scenes, because he is the perfect fodder to all the darkness that surrounds the other dragons, as Boon Yi so perfectly describes it, the normalcy to the madness around them. However, while I can't wait for him to earn his dragon wings, I am apprehensive as well, fearing the worst about the reasons that would finally turn him from this idealistic normal boy to the hardened warrior he will become... whether it has to do with Boon Yi or his own family.

Last but certainly not least.... my favourite line of the week. Rice bucket YBW! :D

Very insightful post and you wrote everything I was feeling and thinking so succinctly!! Thank you very much!!!

I agree about Boon Yi, she appeals to BW's humanity, and it so very well portrayed in their encounters. She shows him the light, the goodness in him. She does it with every one of the characters showing them the better part of themselves. MH is worried about being uneducated and I bet she will be the one to teach him how to read and write or maybe his teacher will but I think BY inspires him to be more than a swordsman. During the reconciliation with DS, I cried too when BY was so like the little girl of long ago when she went to her unnie to give her a hug. We see for the first time a hardened spy the beautiful YH slowly respond by hugging the little sister she had cared for but mostly we see her soften and cry. It could have been the first real heartfelt tears. I cried for all three of them and it was a bonus that the writers included YH in the family reunion. But the best part of the reunion is the understanding between DS and YH that they can be comrades and not get hurt by each others' presence. When the newly named Yi Bang Ji said he will no longer watch over YH for me meant that he will no longer agonize about what happened long ago, that he will let go of the guilt that bound him and she in turn told BY that she realized that YBJ was also a victim and can't lay the blame on him. So for me the giving of the wooden soldier to YBJ and calling him comrade was a beginning for both of them. Freedom from guilt and blame.That is the strength of BY.

JDJ has learned a very valuable lesson from YBW to listen. I love the scene when he confronts YBW on his way to the Haedong Gapdok meeting about not being a team player and not sharing his thoughts or his ideas that he just does what he needs to do without seeking counsel or sharing with the team. YBW apologized but then JDJ says, I might have thought of doing the same thing then "go for it". JDJ is a brilliant scholar who effected sweeping reforms and policies to establish a new Joseon. His actions on how he counters his opponents are bound by his staying within the law. He tries to do things legally, within his scholarly mind. Where as YBW seems to do what he thinks would make him win the most. He is after all the son of the General who nevlost a battle in 150 wars. yes we will be seeing more of these conflicts. JDJ after all he was the one who mentioned the story of Liang and Zhao. Who of them will be Liang and who will be Zhao?

Any way Li Bang Ji has grasped the situation well when JDJ asked for his input and he said that HIB's power is not real power because he has the power of being the leader of the Dodang and stolen money but he does not have what it takes to keep it, pointing to his sword, the power of the sword. That is where JDJ was short in his thinking. YBJ is right, YSG has both thanks to his sharp witted and very astute son YBW who married into wealth and power. All YBW has to do is get them wealthy Haedok Gapdo to join him. "Sign this document or die". OHHHHHH. Now the HG elite especially the FIL will know to be very wary of LBW. YSG now will have what will help him to be king wealth and the army (the sword) and JDJ and LBW. It also says who will win in the future, the one with the sword. YBW will have wealth, power and the sword and JDJ will have the backing of a psychologically weakened king and the scholars but not the power of the sword. 

I already see a conflict coming between YBJ and BW regarding BW's relationship with BY during the conversation of BY and YBJ when brother questions her about BW.

Yes, I am loving that the women in BW's orbit are not swooning over his "hotness" but go toe to toe with him in wit and intelligence. Both BW and LM gambled but it was BW who could have lost the most and yet he knew what was at stake for Lady Min was also large. BW also realized that she will be sacrificed for the sake of her family and HG elite because she chose him instead of HIB. Thanks to BY's advice who reminded BW that he discerned what was in HIB's mind that he can also do that with his wife. BY said his best weapon was within his grasp, his wife, what is it that she wanted the most, the reason for marrying BW. POINTS, POINTS, POINTS for BY. Both LM and BY rock. Thank you writers.

• Like 5

@liddi It's always a pleasure to have you in any thread. Your posts are insightful and comments spot-on. Glad to meet you here again (last time was in the Missing Noir M thread :) ).

I haven't watched the episodes yet and am envious of those who have so I can't say much other than I'm liking LM more and more. She is very admirable and I hope, as the story progresses, her relationship with BW will be one of mutual respect and understanding despite the lack of romantic feelings, a partnership where they are equals working together towards a greater goal.

• Like 6

This may be a stretch but knowing the mind of BW and how far he thinks ahead the note he gave her may be him telling her the future he envisions. What I mean by that is his father becoming King and maybe telling her she will eventually be Queen. That may be too early for anything like that to even happen though.

The secret of the Yi family is the secret that YIG used to defeat YSG in the beginning episodes and make YSG turn back and go to Hamju and not go to the king who summoned him. That is the protection of the Min family that will make the Yi family beholden to them whatever happens. That is what I think but I could be wrong.

• Like 4

@zenya22 loved you reply post 

i wonder what would it mean for LM to be abandoned  - her father did tell her to "escape" but as a married woman would she be not able to marry again , and in fact can a wife leave her husband hos? it seems LM is really putting herself tat risk - showing how far sighted she is 

• Like 2

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Six Flying Dragons" Episode 16
by William Schwartz
photo657601.jpg
Minister Hong (played by Jeon No-min) is at present the major antagonist of "Six Flying Dragons". I'm never sure which villains to discuss at any given point in this drama, because there's just so many of them. Minister Hong, though, is such a powerful driving force here that his presence is impossible to ignore. The man just runs roughshod over every possible obstacle to the point that an insanely elaborate scheme is all that's able to even slow the guy down.
to read more:
Edited by lupita311
Please use a spoiler tag for multiple images
  • Like 5

@zenya22 Thank you for your kind words and insightful post. Love how you compared the advantage YBW will have over JDJ in their future confrontations - the element of the sword. While ironic that JDJ's sword is appointed by none other than YSG himself, we already know from Tree with Deep Roots that YBW ultimately finds a way to neutralise that upper hand by manipulating YBJ's ever-present love for Yeon Hee.

As for YBJ's words to Yeon Hee... I see it a little differently. Despite saying he will no longer protect her, but that each person must fight to protect themselves in these turbulent times, I believe that that is exactly what he is doing - protecting Yeon Hee from the pain of feeling that she has to face him with the shadows of their past always looming between them. By ostentatiously distancing himself from her emotionally, he is then able to do exactly what he told JDJ he would - protect the last people he loves by protecting their dreams. And Yeon Hee's almost relieved acceptance of his explanation, and their mutually agreed redefinition of their relationship as comrades has me hurting for him, because to him, she is still the woman he loves and would give anything to protect.

@eunsuhae It's so good to see you here too - thank you for your welcome! :) Like you, I am impressed with Lady Min, who more than holds her own against her mercurial husband, especially during such turbulent times. As such, I am really looking forward to see more of her brilliance as they both learn to appreciate as well as respect each other's strengths and partner together to manoeuvre the political landmines. Really hope there will be no portrayal of jealousy on the part of Lady Min over Boon Yi... but that each woman will be allowed to shine in their chosen paths, regardless of where they stand in YBW's eyes. Ultimately, I believe they are equals in terms of who they are to YBW... merely different in which part of him they command - one his heart, the other his ambitions.

• Like 11