Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

Five Fingers bad guy Yoo In Ah/Ha/Na continues into Episodes 9 and 10 being angry, resentful, and mean as a snake.  There is no love for brother Yoo Ji Ho (Joo Ji Hoon, real-life actor), or anyone else, for that matter, except for Mom Dear.   Here in a little GIF is what I call Brotherly Love #1.  In Ha is watching a dvd of a successful concert by his brother, and has a typical reaction:

ffbosungbkgrndwithtransparent1.gif

• Like 2

This drama~ Five Fingers ~ was big in 2012, with two popular leading men, backstage backbiting, and makjang beyond belief; if you don't believe me, see @cherkell's synopsis in "Scotch and Asparagus" (see above in for link, in her entries.)  Which is one of the many reasons I don't do synopsises (?)  They've already been done by smarter, wiser persons closer to the action, which is what happens when you come too late to the party, like I did.  I love the comments you often see on YouTubes.  The ones that say......."I wound up here because of _xyz__abc____" ,  when ___QRST______(fill in the blank) is about someone else completely, yet that is how free-association often works.  I'm here because of Ji Chang Wook.  He is the key and the blueprint.  I like to see him cast against type as this hard-bitten, cruel man so unlike his current drama hits as the hero/protector.  He is unfunny as Yoo In Ha, and I didn't see one minutes' lightheartedness, but the vulnerability shines through.  He seems to be able to grab both ends of the fuzzy lollipop with ease and make you taste it, lint and all.

Here he is in a scene with actress Lee Hae In playing character Ha So Yool, daughter of University bigwig Music Department professor Ha So Yool.  Professor Ha dispense favors with ease, initially to In Ha's brother Ji Ho, but because of a bicycle collision accident and missing pages from a music composition, the Prof is P.O.ed at Ji Ho and decides to make In Ha his successor instead of Ji Ho.  This makes the Prof's daughter very irritated as she is sweet on Ji Ho, so decides to sabotage In Ha's  center stage recital piano minutes before In Ha's comeback recital. (See what I mean about makjang?  This and something about trees in Alaska and pianos made me give up on this storyline completely.)  Just keep your eyes on Ji Chang Wook as In Ha.  That's all you need to know right now.ffboygirlhatemusicsheetbckgrnd.gif

They seem to literally spit at each other and they seem equally matched in this scene.  When you've been shaken hard like this then you know you are not liked.  When he finally releases her it's like he threw something in the garbage.  Chang Wook does not equivocate, whatever he is doing.  

In my wanderings I found a good list of all of the music in the drama, including the solo by Ji Chang Wook entitled "Fills My Heart."  Check out this link.  I hope they play for you:  https://play.google.com/music/preview/T7ov3ssecknuveonl5ux5fo7hyi?play=1.  If this doesn't work for you then there is YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHkEh1FOFw&t=24s  though the title is different, it's the same song.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

In his War On Everybody Except Mom Dear, And Sometimes Even on Her, In Ha seems to enjoy making himself miserable, too.  In attempts to woo Da Mi, he grandly announces he will take her on a date anywhere she wants to go.  She decides she wants to ride the cable car and see Seoul from the air.  Too late, In Ha finds he has big trouble in enclosed spaces due to The Fire, years ago when he and Ji Ho were children.  After he hits the deck of the cable car, enraged Mom Dear scolds Ji Ho for his "callous indifference" to In Ha's problem.  Please enjoy:

cablecartableau2.png

• Like 2

Five Fingers reminiscing continues.........we still have a few days until Shinheung Military Academy ~ The Musical, opens.  

brotherly-love-2combined1.gif

In Ha's awful behavior is often mediated by scenes of his despair; fortunately this drama lets us see his hidden vulnerable side, too.  Sometimes, though, that is not enough.........This character must have been great fun for Ji Chang Wook to get to know.

stoodupformebkgrndandaddons3.png

• Like 1

The more I get through this second watching of Five Fingers, the more I like it for itself!  The first watching was to see more of Ji Chang Wook, and the rest of the cast and the story (?) were skimmed over.  But now, seeing the truly awful characterizations, I am just astounded and intrigued by how low and cunning the worst of them are, but what hidden depths of misery exist also.  The cast members seem to be "enjoying" themselves, too, and most seem very professional and love their villainous scenes.  The only odd member who stands out is the young girl love interest who seems totally miscast when she has to be the sweet loving friend, daughter, and girlfriend;  yet, when given serious dialogue and tough action, she seems most at ease and natural.   Ji-Ho (Joo Ji Hoon in real life) also seems slightly out of place until he stops being Mr. Nice Guy.    

In recounting some of these scenes we're up to Episode 14 out of 30, and the most interesting things haven't really happened yet.  Like I said, though, storyline or plot is not what I want to do.  Besides, for this drama, the storyline is akin to trying to read Bob Loblaw's Law Blog......(forgive the obscure reference to a USA TV drama Arrested Development, which Five Fingers might have been if it had been a comedy.)

Meanwhile, here's Mommy..........complete with meglomaniacal delusions about how to FIX In Ha's life, and In Ha's rejection of even the hand that feeds him (although he does have some compelling reasons for the rejection.)  momspuppet.png

Notice In Ha says he won't be Mom's puppet, not that Mom is crazy as a bedbug........It's hard to tell which one of them gets the higher score from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) code book. :skull:

Push does come to shove, even with Mom.  Call this one Motherly Love........

motherly-love2.gif

• Like 1

Even though I am not able to go to see Shinheung Military Academy ~ The Musical, I am excited anyway for all of you who do manage to make the scene!!.  Less than a week away now......I wonder if Actor Ji has butterflies?

Meanwhile, in the Five Fingers drama at hand, In Ha tries everything and anything to bind Da Mi to him.  He tries jewelry, along with other offerings to try to win her.  When she asks what is wrong with him, he blames it on her and Ji Hoo.  This will not end well; Da Mi has to walk away.......in a hurry.

offeringswithtextandpics2.png

In a fit of agony and despair, In Ha does what he knows best how to do..........Watch........

smashedhand1.gif

• Like 1

It's almost THAT time.......Sunday, September 9, when Shinheung Military Academy ~ The Musical opens!!

Here is my homage, in lieu of flowers sent to his dressing room (will the ROK Army give him a dressing room?).  I wish I could be there.  How exciting...........

finalshinheunghomage.png 

Break a leg, Actor/Soldier Ji.......break a leg! (Wishes for good luck given to performers about to go onstage.  From Wikipedia:The expression reflects a theatrical superstition in which wishing a person "good luck" is considered bad luck.

What homage would be complete without music??

From the musical Annie Get Your Gun and There's No Business Like Show Business:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKqrIlY_enk

From the musical Gypsy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rboUaIs4xf0

Wishing him all the best, because everything's coming up roses, even in this mans' ROK Army.

• Like 1

Hola!  Enjoying all the news about the musical, and the release of the third CF from 24 Miracle. 

A trait of his that I've noticed in a couple of different videos of his concerts, is his habit of singing silently along with a duet partner, marking time with the music, and being very involved in almost everything going on on the stage, while waiting for the moment his part comes up.   I think it's a charming habit, and here are a couple of those moments from Shinheung.........here with Kang Ha Neul.

jcwlisteningsingingsilentlyalong.gif

Then later, toward the end of Kang Ha Neul's solo, we're treated to a brilliant smile from the silent duet partner as he shows his happiness for the successful finish, and segue into the next part.  Gosh, I wish I were there.......

jcwbrilliantsmile.gif

• Like 4

Early reports dribbling in from those who first got tickets are overwhelmingly positive.  The reports I have read come from Twitter and Instagram mainly, and indicate that (given things I was worried about):

1.  The musical is viable and is NOT a turkey (that is, it is not DOA {dead on arrival} on the stage.)

Meaning, the stage musical lives up to its teasers and is interesting in its entirety.  

2.  Chang Wook still makes grown women cry......for whatever reasons.  Fill in the blank_______. My personal list of reasons is very very long.......

3.  His voice is strong, if not stronger than ever, and just rings out with richness and maturity.

4.  His virtual presence onstage is electric and renders everyone else  onstage momentarily invisible.  LOL  Some people, not bloody very many, have this ability to capture all the available light and oxygen at any given instance.  He is one of them.

Thank you Actor Ji!

• Like 2