Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

On 7/23/2018 at 9:11 PM, MyStars said:

What was mostly confusing to me was that the Viki.com website says there were 7 reviews giving the drama a 7.6 rating.  Either Viki.com is more confused than I am, or somewhere there were/are 7 people who watched and gave a rating. China, maybe?

I see where everyone is getting confused.  That's a major problem with Viki, in that people can leave comments before a show even airs so that it gives a false sense of security to others who are awaiting its broadcast.  Also, this is going to be a Fan Channel, which means that Viki will need to bid for (and compete with others) a copyright license from the network that eventually will broadcast the show.  We'd have more luck watching with an actual Chinese legal broadcast channel which provides English subs (like YoYoTV through their YouTube channel).  Also also since this is not one of the Big 3 Networks, Kocowa will more than likely not be airing "Mr. Right" either.

I remember back late last year reading the gossip that the THAAD Ban was "over."  The two governments merely executed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that certain Hallyu-based promotions would start up again.  But a quick cursory search of those listed dramas shows that pretty much all of them have yet to be broadcast or find an appropriate network to do so.  So much for "over."

I normally run a VPN when accessing overseas websites, and I was also getting the same 'nag screen' about global licensing, so that means no one worldwide can see anything just yet.  The Weibo fan page for "Mr. Right" has yet to be updated since 2016.  So not "over."

I also saw the gossip coming from those Filipino fanclubs and asked them to provide proof, because what I've been told and researched on my own is the exact opposite of what they were saying.  Crickets so far.  *sigh*  I also believe the Korean Military Officials would not be thrilled to have Wook's show start airing in China on a Chinese broadcast station whilst he is in the midst of his service to Korea.

But thanks for bringing up the subject, as we can have a long-overdue discussion about the process.  It's very confusing, no?  Global drama dissemination needs to be fixed somehow, but it ain't gonna be fixed in my lifetime.  :D

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cherkell said:

But thanks for bringing up the subject, as we can have a long-overdue discussion about the process.  It's very confusing, no?  Global drama dissemination needs to be fixed somehow, but it ain't gonna be fixed in my lifetime.  :D

Can this be considered another instance of “fake news?’  Now the whole world is ‘et’ up with it even to the level of a Hallyu drama stars’ fans happily anticipating an event that will never (not this year anyway) take place!!!:heartbreak:.  I wonder how all this got started anyway.  At least there is now lots of clarity, so some of us can get back to important things, like Shinheung Military Academy ~ The Musical!   Thanks.  Domo arigato......

Chang Wook himself weighs in on the confusion:

k2seriously.gif

• LOL 2

Folks, the first page of this thread has completely gone bonkers.  I've contacted the crack Soompi Tech Department for a fix, but do you guys see the same thing I'm seeing -- the Kara video screen completely blocking all content?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, cherkell said:

Folks, the first page of this thread has completely gone bonkers.  I've contacted the crack Soompi Tech Department for a fix, but do you guys see the same thing I'm seeing -- the Kara video screen completely blocking all content?

Yes, yes!!  I had seen that, too.  But it's not just JCW's thread.  I've seen it on a couple of other threads, but for the life of me I can't remember whose.  On one site I had gotten to page one by accident, and will probably never remember whose page that was.  On the other, I'll have to track back thru my histories and find what I was doing that particular day.  I  thought it was because you were updating old information in your quest to re-populate old photographs rendered useless by Photobucket shenanigans...…..but then after I found the others I thought "Maybe not...…."  

So great about the shortened military duty time for Soldier Ji.  Sixteen days may not seen like much, but it is probably a lifetime to him.  

Edited a few minutes later:  I found the other one:  see page one of Kim Hyun Joong.

Is this accurate?  I just read that Korea has reduced the amount of time for national service by 3months?  I knew they have been stewing over it for a while... But this is what popped up for Wookie and the rest of his gang already serving... If so then good news for JCW fans?  New release date is apparently 27April.  Don't know how they calculated that.

https://jazminemedia.com/2018/07/the-new-discharge-dates-of-lee-min-ho-kim-soo-hyun-ji-chang-wook-and-many-others/

EDIT- Soz..old news here...just scrolled up and read @cherkell (resident Wookie extraordinaire) post. Sorry for double post. :lol:

• Like 1

Alrighty, first page of this thread has been "fixed" for now.  Some videos and photos had to be removed in order to make the post go live again, so I'm investigating putting them on Google Drive or another photo-hosting site.  *rolling up sleeves*

On 7/31/2018 at 12:17 PM, nrllee said:

Is this accurate?  I just read that Korea has reduced the amount of time for national service by 3months?  I knew they have been stewing over it for a while... But this is what popped up for Wookie and the rest of his gang already serving... If so then good news for JCW fans?  New release date is apparently 27April.  Don't know how they calculated that.

The original reduction in service was suggested as three months, but the Korean government and military officials declined to cut the time by that much.  Instead, it was agreed between the two deciding councils to reduce service on a rolling basis, with the furthest out recruits gaining the most time reduced at 60 days.  Since Wook enlisted on 14 August 2017, his service time is already approaching the halfway mark; therefore, he would not reap the benefits of a fully-reduced service term as other recruits who still have yet to enlist in the next year or so.  That's why he was only awarded a 16-day reduction in his service term.

And even though Wook has been temporarily moved from Cheorwon to Seoul for the musical rehearsals and performances, he is still an active soldier and must conduct himself accordingly as the Korean Military dictates.  We will not see many social media posts unless they're officially released by the government. *sigh*

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

So good to know that his face may be public again in about 10 days at the press conference.  I had just checked his official IG and it looks like his followers are heading up to 7.6 million.......And he really hasn't been doing anything (much) media-wise, movie-wise, or drama-wise, for a year now; just being a good soldier.  Yet the followers just keep rollin' in.  I think he's on to something!  B)  Something really really really good........

Here's my sacrificial, ceremonial offering for the week.  

finalwookconcertfinal.png

Mixed media:  Pastel pencil and soft pastel on Canson Mi Tientes paper 12" x 16" gray; digital transfer with GIMP software.  This is really some "mixed" media.  Call it "Ji Chang Wook in Concert."  I enjoyed doing this so much, and learned so much, that I just have to do more.

• Like 1

How exciting........the tickets for Shinheung Military Academy ~ The Musical are finally going on sale.  See post above.  I'm sorry I am not going to be able to make it, but to all of you who can attend, Have A Wonderful Time!!:thumbsup::mrgreen:.

In the meantime, while waiting, this time on the press conference for Monday, August 13,  look at some GIFs of The Star, Ji Chang Wook, from his TV drama Five Fingers, which aired late 2012.  I'm not attempting any plot synopsis; there are many on the internet, including a good one from @cherkell, if I remember correctly, from the Scotch and Asparagus Drama Recaps.  These are some GIFs from Episode 5.  The preceding episodes lay out the backstory about why the two half-brothers are at odds and are competing for attention from Mother, Father, classical piano audiences everywhere, and the same girl.  

Unlike his wholesome boy-next-door character in Bachelor's Vegetable Store, Yoo In Ha is full of rage, sarcasm, cunning, and startling talent at the grand piano and composing music for it, and at cheating and lying.  But basic elements of Ji Chang Wook abide, like the hair-trigger reactions and physicality in this scene:

really-angry.gif

Strangely enough, although JCW can dish up any emotion under the sun in a heartbeat, he never quite makes it, for me anyway, as a real villain.  The story and character as written make him weak, vain, self-pitying, and despicable, but somehow on-screen Ji Chang Wook's essential dignity and humanity shine through.  See more under the spoiler.  Please enjoy.

Spoiler

ezgif-com-resize.gif

not-embarassed.gif

I recently came across this quote from Robert Towne, an American film director of note.  It goes a long way toward explaining why, every chance I get, I use this space in Soompi to feature Actor Ji's face, and why too much written dialogue can kill a scene.

"For gifted movie actors affect us most, I believe, not by talking, fighting, (*******expletive deleted), killing, cursing, or cross-dressing.  They do it by being photographed. . . . . Great movie actors have features that are ruthlessly efficient. . . . The point is that a fine actor on screen conveys a staggering amount of information before he ever opens his mouth."

https://youtu.be/0dHkEh1FOFw\

Here is Ji Chang Wook singing, from Five Fingers.  I almost forgot the music!

• Like 1

It was hard to be at work today knowing that all of this wonderful material about Shinheung Military School was just waiting there in YouTube to be absorbed.  Finally it was time to go home, and I've been absorbing everything I could for hours now, culminating in his solo set piece.  The stage music is thrilling!  Ji Chang Wook is thrilling.

The man is a world-class talent, and a class-act as well.  He sounded so fine, strong, and confidant and he really "brought it home."   I am still in awe and lost in admiration.  And he just keeps getting better.

• Like 1

Oh Happy Day.......this material on YouTube by NCTV is like water to a drowning woman.  It is so good, and clear and focused, especially his solo number.  He looks so buff, toned, fit, and Healthy!!!  And buffed, polished, like really well taken care of.....and rested.  He looks like he is mentally and physically fit for anything that may come his way.  And just as handsome as always.....nothing can mar those famous features.  And the sound.........unforgettable Ji Chang Wook timbre.  Of course, seeing all of him without all the necessary "showbiz" artifice (perfectly arranged hair, makeup, fancy clothing) was disconcerting at first, but it shows another really interesting side to Actor Ji.   Just from the brief teasers, the musical looks like it will add to his mystique as a performer.  I hope it brings him additional success, as he says he is happy with being in the production and with his castmates.  They all look good together.

Just out of curiosity, there are other "famous" soldier/celebrities currently in the military, like GDragon, Kim Soo Hyun, Joo Won,  etc.  Does anyone know if they even auditioned, and if so, what was the result?  I've been checking, but only half-heartedly; it would be really interesting to know........but nothing I can't live without knowing.  Those other people may not be in the SK Army, in some other branch of the military.  The Shinheung  cast, as-is, is PERFECT. :thumbsup:

There is still some time to wait through until the start of the musical on September 9, so I am still re-watching Five Fingers and have done up a fantasy picture that I hope captures the incendiary personality of Yoo In-ha.  Please enjoy until we start to see more and get more information from the staged musical.  Just call this "Yoo In-ha Up in Smoke."ffwarmbkgrnvignettefaddededges1.png

• Like 3

Continuing for the interim ~ that is, from now until the start of Shinheung Military School/Academy - The Musical - here is more discussion of Five Fingers.  One thing I learned is that Ji Chang Wook lost even more weight for this role than for other roles.  I know I read an article by @cherkellabout this, but now I can't find it to give a link.  I'll keep looking. 

In the beginning of the drama we see him knife thin........it seems that only his huge eyes, sharp cheekbones, and fringe in a high upswept style are all that keep him grounded to the earth. 

ffbackgrndbw1.png

Not to worry, though.  Yoo In Ah has a half-brother who loves him and a mother who loves him more.  Here in this next scene he has been showering and changing; his upswept hair is now natural and covering his forehead, but he is startled by his Mother, looking for him after she has had a horrible nightmare.  They comfort each other.

ff2picstest61.png

Again, not to worry.  It's just a picture of a young guy and his mother......ahem.....

• Like 2