Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

NEWS FLASH

Before I get off to work, here is an announcement from:  http://news.sbs.co.kr/amp/news.amp?news_id=N1004830097&cmd=amp

letting the world know that Ji Chang Wook, Kang Ha Neul, and Kim Sung Kyu have actually won their parts in the Shinheung Military Academy musical that they have been auditioning for!!  Yay!  Go there and check out the gorgeous spread that SBS Star News has provided these talented men:

"Korean actors Kang Ha Neul, Ji Chang Wook, and K-pop boy group INFINITE's leader Kim Sung Kyu reportedly have been confirmed to star in a military musical.

On July 3, a media outlet 'Sports Seoul' reported that Kang Ha Neul, Ji Chang Wook, and Kim Sung Kyu will be starring in a military musical together.

Back in April, Kang Ha Neul and Ji Chang Wook attended an audition for the military musical, and Kim Sung Kyu also had taken part in the audition after his enlistment on May 14.

Recently, the three have been confirmed to star in the musical.

The military musical that they are going to perform is 'Shinheung Military Academy' (working title).

'Shinheung Military Academy' takes place in 1910, during the Japanese colonial era, and tells the story of young people starting a military academy to achieve the independence of Korea.

As Kang Ha Neul, Ji Chang Wook, and Kim Sung Kyu are all highly-experienced musical actors having the experience of performing in a number of musicals before their enlistment, the expectations for this upcoming musical is very high.

The musical is scheduled to premiere in September at the National Museum of Korea, and there will be 19 shows in total.

(Lee Narin, Credit= SBS funE, Glorious Entertainment, Woollim Entertainment, 'Official_INFT' Twitter, Online Community, '대한민국육군' YouTube)"

(SBS Star)

I'll say...….SBS got that right when it says 'expectations are high.'  :mrgreen::star::heart:(Oh, look...….we have some new  emojiis!!)

happydance.gif

Victorious happy dance both for Ji Chang Wook, and fortunate fans.

P.S. What a good birthday present for Actor Ji.  Wish I had thought of it......

• Like 1

Hello, fellow Ji-fans! De-lurking (from life, and insane 100 hour work week, etc) to wish @MyStars 너무 많이 고마워 for all the great content especially in terms of BVS, which is really underrated, and unfortunately stymied by makjang elements that didn't need to be there. T-1 to someone's birthday! :heart:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nadster said:

stymied by makjang elements that didn't need to be there.

Hahahahaha…….one of the great things about writing the recaps like this is that the makjang is relegated to the trashcans and we only have to concentrate on the indelible impression that Ji Chang Wook makes.   Of course, that can be problematic for the fans of the star who plays the makjang-est character, but such is life.  

Uh, going to say this even though it sounds silly in light of what you are working through, but don't work too hard and come by and visit more.

• LOL 1

Thanks @icyphoenixfor stopping by; I guess it is Ji Chang Wook Day a half a world away from where I am, so it looks like I am late.  But, not late, really.  

Because July 5 will be his birthday, I want to finish up matters with Bachelors Vegetable Store today because from now on we will probably be getting lots of real life notifications about rehearsals for Shinheung Military Academy, not to mention Birthday Treat information tomorrow.   We will see him more in the flesh than we have for about a year.  

I have been trying to put into words why I like this drama so much.  I have alluded to it but not in depth.  First of all, I feel it is a pivotal time in his career.  It is post-DongHae, but pre-Empress Ki, and while viewing BVS it is like watching a strobe light flashing, first on the constrained actor of DongHae versus the break-free TaHwan creation.  What a wild ride, and it might have been for him, too.  Growing as an actor, learning new things, then putting those new things on the screen.  What a test of character.  In BVS his character is almost relentlessly cheerful, ambitious, driven by basic values of decency.  There are no dipsomaniacs, drug addicts, perverts, abusers of children or women.......there are, however, real people having crises of identity of the psychological kind, who manage to find their way through the morass without whining or begging for pity.  Gotta love it.  Almost old-fashioned.  Han Tae Yang's character is a good guy but not a pushover and Ji Chang Wook lets us see some of that hair-trigger physical reaction regarding fight rather than flight, which keeps this good-looking guy from being merely a pretty piece of eye candy.  Good fast reflexes and a genealogical bone structure that hints at some past ancient royal lineage keep the romance interest front and center.

bvshairtriggerreactionsmaller.gif

The romance is there, with a cast that includes a female co-star who is at least his professional equal, unlike some.  In fact, this is one of the few dramas I have seen where ALL the characters are on par with each other in terms of professionalism.  Under the spoiler are two skits that highlight the romantic Ji Chang Wook.  Han Tae Yang is not the "man on the edge" as portrayed in the three most recent dramas, but the beginnings are here.  

And last, but not least we get to hear Ji Chang Wook and SEE him singing Rain.

Spoiler

bvssweetembrace.gif

This classic protective embrace reminds me of Healer.

bvsdontmakemeworry.gif

And here with the hand cupping the face I get flash forwards to Suspicious Partner.

• Like 3

Thanks so much, wonderful ladies of Ji Chang Wook’s Kitchen -  @cherkell and @daegorr! Absolutely loving that video. What a fitting  tribute to our Actor/Soldier Ji! Here’s wishing him a wonderful (and restful!) time for the rest of his military service, especially working on Shinheung Military Academy (was there ever any doubt he and Haneul would get the part?) and all happiness forever :heart:

If anyone needs me, I’ll just be adulting while watching that video on permanent repeat... :wub:

• Like 2

Hello all.....It's finally July 5th where I am and time to say

:love: Happy Birthday Ji Chang Wook!!!

and many more....... :mrgreen:

I've been looking worldwide at IG's and Twitters, and YouTubes (like the one from @cherkell and @daegorr above) and other forums who have some vested interest in Actor/Soldier Ji, and have seen some really inventive, sweet, and heartfelt birthday greetings!  It's really not a revelation to see how much people really care for him, but it almost boggles the mind to see how many there are who truly adore him, including yours truly.  If @nadster were here she might grumble about having a "celebrity crush" (she might have gotten over that impediment by now, though ;)) but I think that throughout time and recorded history celebrity crushes have been the norm.  What's bad is having these feelings for a celebrity who might not be worth it, but that's not the case here.  He's worth every penny....and then some.

• Like 2

Hello All.  By now Actor Ji's casting in Shinheung Military School is a given but at hellokpop there is some news of the cast of characters and and the behind-the-scenes directors/helmers/creators:

"Experienced theater actors Lee Tae Eun, Lim Chung Min, Lee Jung Yeol and Oh Jin Young and more are also set to raise the stage density and prominence.

Director Kim Dong Yeon (Infinite Power) and writer Lee Hee Jun (My Heart’s Harmony) will back up the creative force of the production.

Shinheung Independent School will perform at the National Museum of Korea from September 9 to September 23. A national tour will follow until the end of the year as 2018 is the founding anniversary of the Republic of Korea."( Published on July 4th)

Also this link gives further information about the particular roles and which role Actor Ji will play.  https://kanghaneul.org/2018/07/details-about-shinheung-military-academy-unveiled/ It is interesting to note from these links that the musical, after its initial official performances, will be going on nation tour UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR!!! Whee......

Just to get everyone in the mood to watch an exciting musical with these electric performers, Actor Ji and Actor Kang, here are some YouTube excerpts from the 2010 musical Thrill Me that bear rewatching.

Can it get any better than this?  Well, yes, but that's not gonna happen until May 13, 2019.  Until then, get the popcorn (if you can't make the actual location)  or the plane tickets, and the tickets for Shinheung Military School. :thumbsup::love::mrgreen::star::heart::yum: (sorry but these new emojis are addicting)

P.S.

And then there's this YouTube video.  Actor Ji does not appear to be in it, so I am just posting the link, but it is supposedly cast auditions for Shinheung.   The musical looks very, uhm......masculine.  Not complaining.:smirk:(sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT1mpXKG_wE

• Like 3

Hello all!  Still here, still marking time before Actor/Soldier Ji turns up again in real life, mainly for rehearsals for Shinheung Military School.  Will there be a throng or crush of amateur photogs following his rehearsal schedules?  Will they be allowed to get close to the cast and crew to take pictures? Gee, this is getting exciting! :w00t: not to mention what may become of the final finished product which promises to be a collectors' item.  

In the meantime I have a morph-gif offering of Ji Chang Wook on a concert tour.  When not watching his movies or dramas, my go-to entertainment of choice is his concerts.  He is so self-assured on stage, completely in control, self-possessed and self-aware.  It is so good to see a professional at work.  These days it seems many singing acts (KPop excepted) need a about a thousand people doing things on stage while the singers get all involved in stage business and do many other things besides singing.  But then there's Chang Wook.  He just sings. And looks like he's having a good time, too.   Oh, there are a few back-up dancers sometimes, but god help them if they get between him and the audience.  So here's just a little snippet to tide you over.

chongqingsingmultimorph.gif

What?  There's no sound?  Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcnW6Q1amZQ  Or pick something of your choosing; just enjoy.

Edit added Sunday, July 15th, 2018

Slow relaxing weekend for everyone?  It has been for me, too.  Here are two GIFs I had done in the past that seem suitable for this calm, maybe reflective moment.  Calm before the storm?  

kwill-segment-f.gif

One more under the spoiler.:ph34r:  This one I did in slow motion, so it fits the mood, too.  Please enjoy.

Spoiler

jcw-harpers-bazaar-slomo-smaller.gif

Hope these will carry you over through Monday and the rest of the week.

• Like 1

Hey,  @cherkell, that's great the the news portal Osen wants to insure Chang Wook's voice!  That gives me more incentive to continue with my fantasy GIF pictures from his concerts.  I was reading back on some old comments the other day, and a certain type stood out that seems to say so much about Actor/Singer/Soldier Ji.  Often commenters said that when he is unguarded and unscripted he seems to be most authentically sweet and natural.  I would add that when he is scripted, that is, when he is a character, as with a movie or drama, he is formidable and unpredictable.  He also goes "into character" on a concert stage in a song, as these next GIFs show.  And it shows in his voice, too, in the wording and the dynamics of the music.  This is real talent that says once again that Ji Chang Wook is not just another pretty face.  He is a very accomplished professional without any hidden agenda; he just gives it all he's got.  

ezgif-com-resizecq2smaller.gif

One more under the spoiler.

Spoiler

ezgif-com-resizecq3.gif

From dictionary.com:  To Smoulder

[smohl-der]
ExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

verb (used without object)
  1. to burn without flame; undergo slow or suppressed combustion.
  2. to exist or continue in a suppressed state or without outward demonstration:Hatred smoldered beneath a polite surface.
  3. to display repressed feelings, as of indignation, anger, or the like:to smolder with rage.

• LOL 1

I have been reading, for a few days now, that Ji Chang Wook's Chinese drama, Mr. Right, is out in the world for viewing.  Mostly  I have seen the notices on Twitters and Instagrams from the Philippines.  So, excited and happy I ran to Viki.com , only to see this:

FAN CHANNEL

Mr. Right

我的男神

EN 0% • China, Romance

7.6 7 ratings

CAST   Wang Xiao Chen

Wang Xiao Chen

Ji Chang Wook

Ji Chang Wook

REVIEWS

7 ratings

and then this:bawling::confounded::rage:

RESTRICTED ACCESS

Sorry, this content is not licensed for your region.
Click here to learn more

This show does not have any episodes

So, it's not where I am, but it may be where YOU are, you lucky ducks.  Enjoy every minute of it.........

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, MyStars said:

RESTRICTED ACCESS

Sorry, this content is not licensed for your region.
Click here to learn more

This show does not have any episodes

Um.... see highlight above.  There are no episodes available.  Korea is also still under the Chinese Anti-Hallyu Ban, and will be for quite some time.  If the ban is somehow lifted whilst Wook is still in the military, Glorious will not allow the show to broadcast without him being available for publicity interviews and photoshoots.  If "Mr. Right" was already airing, Wook's Chinese fan sites and his DC Gall would be trumpeting far and wide... but they be sitting on their hands.  I'm not holding my breath that we're going to see it anytime before May 2019.

• Like 1

Exactly...…:crazy:@cherkell……."Confused" is why I posted this.  What was mostly confusing to me was that the Viki.com website says there were 7 reviews giving the drama a 7.6 rating.  Either Viki.com is more confused than I am, or somewhere there were/are 7 people who watched and gave a rating. China, maybe?   Also, in the body of comments there is discussion of the Hallyu Ban and one commenter states baldly that the ban is over, and provides a link.  Here's my link to Viki.com, the page with the confusing imaging and information,  so that the other terminally confused among us can read more:  https://www.viki.com/tv/35641c-mr-right.  The other link I talk about is in the comments.  

I tried to post more to my entry last night, but this time Soompi itself was the impediment, not letting me edit, add, or even save.  Oh, wait...….aren't Soompi and Viki.com related through Japanese site Rakuten???  Yeah.  

As always, your clarifications are to the point; better late than never.  Here's a picture to brighten the day and allay/difuse/confound the confusion

7bbcf43f7a93efdf2f8e55bc565ee2a8--ji-chang-wook-chinese.jpg

P.S.  I took the section you highlighted "This show does not have any episodes" to refer to what is happening in MY region, so its inclusion on the Viki page was not self-evident.   I'm off to work now.  Bye.