Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

8 hours ago, payal patel said:

Also how do you all address JCW ? I don't know how it is in South Korea but here calling full name is very official - we call people adorably by their first name 

Ji is a family name and Chang Wook is the name , right ? but I haven't seen anyone calling him only Chang Wook !:unsure: My concern is not to call/say anything which is considered wrong :mellow:

Sorry for the delay in welcoming all new readers!  Been a little crazy with us balancing Real Life with the onslaught of Wook News now that he's freed from the shackles of the military, so I've only been able to post and run away for the past few weeks. :D

In SoKor, the respectful way to address Wook is either 지창욱씨 / Ji Chang Wook-ssi (Mr. Ji Chang Wook) or 지배우씨 / Ji-bae-u-ssi (Mr. Actor Ji) or 지배우님 / Ji-bae-woo-nim (more formal Actor Ji).  And even though his fans do it, shouting out OPPA!!! is quite frowned upon as being quite impolite.

Internationally, there is no hard-and-fast rule as to what to call Wook.  We at The Kitchen decided that we would address him in the diminutive as "Wook," because with him now being in his early 30s, calling him "Wookie" just seems to belittle his stature to a child's level.

Saying that, there is no official "group name" for Wook's followers (such as "Wookies" or "Ji Girls," etc.) as there may be for other actors or actresses' fan clubs (especially since there are so many other actors with "Wook" in their names) because Wook has never wanted his fans to identify behind one group name or another.  And to answer the burning question, Wook picked the name "Dayrock" for his Korean fan club, but never explained the meaning behind his choice.  I'm sure there's an answer out on the Interwebs somewhere... 

Hope this helps!

Boy oh boy, but @cherkell got that right when she said that since JCW is FREE AT LAST from the South Korean Army, life has been hectic for him and for fans: " The publicity machine has been cranked up to 100 % in advance of Ji Chang Wook's second appearance on "The Fisherman and The City." But then Wook was always in a mad scramble to live life fast and furious.

I loved loved loved the City Fisherman episode!!!  It was the perfect counterpoint or counterbalance to the hot house intimacy of the Fan Meeting.....Wook, sailing away with the gruff and salty working fishermen, was just able to be himself, with the fishing boat crew and the TV Channel A crew looking out for the newbie.  It was wonderful to see the friendship between him and Lee Dok Hwa, his co-star in Suspicious Partner.  Checking in Wikipedia we see that Lee Dok Hwa was really A BIG DEAL as an actor back in his day!  He was South Korean show biz royalty (along with his father) and has kept his career active for quite a while.  Check it out:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Deok-hwa.  It is tempting to speculate that Lee Dok Hwa sees something very important in Wook and is extending every avenue of help and guidance.  That's something you don't see much of these days.  

From YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIipNjspumk&t=4722s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv_rMl1R8no

I've got a GIF or two!  This GIF captured the gentle rocking of the boat.

friends-on-city-fisherman.gif

Spoiler

Here's another one.....Wook getting ready to sing for his supper?

gettin-ready-to-sing-for-his-supper.gif

Speaking of Wook singing, between the Fan Meeting and The City Fishermen, I learned some new music, some really perfect Wook music.  Got my playlists all ready for my car usb, and my computer.  Thanks to Ji Chang Wook for once again Making My Day(s)!  Is it just me or is it his voice, which is unique, that makes his covers WAAAAY better than the originals?  Thank goodness for the songwriters, but no one covers like he does.

On 6/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, payal patel said:

he has such naughty eyes in this show

Referring to Secret Love's Coffee With and Angel......Wait.....I don't remember any naughty eyes. :anguished: I've got a DVD of this and have watched it many times, but I don't remember.......Wook's gaze is always frank and open and was perfect for this witty little love story.  :heart: I don't think he knows how to be indecent or suggestive.  Nor does he need to be.  As to the other thing that surprised you, well, surprises seem to be a feature (not a bug) of Ji Chang Wook's acting, his dramas and movies.  I hope you continue to be surprised.

wookangelsmall.gif

• Like 1

no no - with naughty eyes I don't mean indecent - I think used the wrong word - I was referring to his mischievous ways 

and also his childish rants like askin for the room to be cleaned etc.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Mai Stars said:

Wook's gaze is always frank and open and was perfect for this witty little love story

ya of course - JCW never needs that ! His smile is enough to slay :love: 

On 6/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, Mai Stars said:

I hope you continue to be surprised.

fan meets surprised me a lot - Is it common in south korea? here in india it's very uncommon for an actor to be this out going more 

these fan meets are no less than a dream - he has enacted scenes with his fans , then having a date , handshake session :hushed: all this was way beyond my imagination - would love to land up in one such fan meet if ever I can :blush:

I still haven't seen the fisherman show - he is in more than one episode , right? 

He looks so different in these new picture - maybe because of his hairstyle :wub: love the new photo shoot 

9 hours ago, payal patel said:

I was referring to his mischievous ways 

and also his childish rants like askin for the room to be cleaned etc.

Yes!! Perfect. :mrgreen:  To slip in a simile....he was a devilish angel.:naughty:

fan meets surprised me a lot - Is it common in south korea? here in india it's very uncommon for an actor to be this out going more 

Fan meets by South Korean superstars like Ji Chang Wook are common, which, I think, is one of the major things that make all fans adore these actors, male and female.  Some lucky fans get to be "up close and personal."   Fan service is, as you point out, spectacularly missing in most countries, like your, and mine.  I'll probably never get to be in fan meeting...….except, like you said, in my imagination.  :frown:

I still haven't seen the fisherman show - he is in more than one episode , right? 

I posted a link......is it not available to watch where you are?

From YouTube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIipNjspumk&t=4722s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv_rMl1R8no

There is another episode on June 6th, which is today where I am, but has probably already happened where he is.  It should be available in some form on YouTube for Channel A, eventually, or on @cherkell's Ji Chang Wook's Kitchen site (eventually also....they need some time to process.)   https://jichangwookkitchen.com/

He looks so different in these new picture - maybe because of his hairstyle :wub: love the new photo shoot 

His hairstyle is short and "different" because it is growing out after having been shorn to his scalp when he was conscripted into South Korea's military 22 months ago.  He was officially discharged April 27, 2019, from his deployment in the ROK Army,  and is just now able to resume his civilian duties and creative career, and is busy bringing his inspired insanity back to fans, for which I, and I am sure millions of other fans, are deliriously happy about.  Go back about 2, or 3 pages from here; there should be the YouTube and @cherkellpostings of the televised event of his discharge, attended by fans from all over the world.  Cherkell mentioned it in her post above, but the significance of her remarks "now that he's freed from the shackles of the military," may not have registered,    

welcome-back-sarge.png

cause there is SO MUCH GOING ON right now!!! YAY!!

So much going on including this.....and the beat goes on:

and-the-beat-goes-on......png

Still glorying in all the footage from the First Episode with JCW on City Fisherman!  Please enjoy.

blueslicker-fisherman.gif

JCW:  Not only did they make me catch my own supper, they made me sing for it, too!

Spoiler

wook-enjoyment.gif

A moment of sheer enjoyment......

wook-and-lee-dok-hwa-city-fishermen.gif

I wasn't kidding about him having to actually sing for his supper!  Here is a short GIF from one of the few final scenes from City Fishermen  "Ep. 1 (with JCW)."  The day's fishing is done, and everyone is helping in preparing the evening meal from the catch of the day, including Wook's flounder.  All that's missing is the campfire....and roasted sweet potatoes.  

singing-for-his-supper......gif

And the musical accompaniment, courtesy of YouTube and Lee Juck.  It's Lee Juck's voice you hear, though, not Wook's.  if you can access the Channel A post on YouTube, look and listen starting at 1:33:02 ( Fishing show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIipNjspumk&t=4722s).

Here's Lee Juck's Laundry -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYSTCqxAuTM  for easy listening.  Just imagine it in Ji Chang Wook's voice.  With luck someday fans may get a streaming single, or even a whole DVD of Wook singing.  Until then, this will have to do.  Apologies to Lee Juck, whose music is wonderful, too. 

• Like 1

I got busy with a new Actor Ji project but it started to grow bigger and bigger and get more complicated, and nothing was getting done to get some news and pictures on these pages......So, I stopped that project and put together something smaller and quicker from the two fishing shows.  I really enjoyed them, but after watching both of them, I think, like Actor Ji, that that may be my last fishing outing....forever.  I live in a place where fishing is LIFE for a lot of people but now I can quietly put that aside.  I've mangled my last catfish.

From the first show we see Wook portrayed as a sweet, simple, innocent newbie.  Wouldn't hurt a fly or a fish, and is someone who needs guidance and mentoring.  They take very good care of him.  He is fully rigged out in safety gear and all-weather gear, and they put him safely amidships, surrounded by keepers.  Absolutely nothing bad should happen to SuperStar!:star:

sweetnewbiewithbackground.gif

Of course, he becomes the hero fish slayer of the day.   But in the second episode shot later, we get a totally different look and attitude from this Urban Fisherman:

Spoiler

fishbkgrnd2bandwmacktheknife.gif

No more Mr. Nice Guy.  What we got here is more like Mack the Knife.  He now casually balances on the bow rails, and has mastered quite a respectable cast.  Of course, Actor Ji learned many things from his dramas and movies......how to be a chef,  a speed skater, a purveyor of fine vegetables, a fig picker, baby care as well as knitting, crocheting, and sewing (My Too Perfect Sons), a swordsman......it just goes on and on.  Unfortunately, he didn't win the Golden Fish Award, but I don't think he cared at all.  More to come.  I try to keep myself busy with these tasks in between waiting for the dramas and movies.  

Hello All....I'm still slap happy over the 2 City Fishermen shows from Channel A.  They have given me grist for many a mill, so prepare to be overloaded.  Thanks in advance, and please enjoy.

Boating (on a boat on a body of water, with or without fisherpeople, with sails or with motors) is not for the faint of heart.  One thing you learn quickly is how to balance, or get your sea legs, so you don't fall over and smack your head.  Funny thing is......once you've gotten your sea legs from the gentle (or even rough) rocking of the boat, when you get back on dry land you actually WALK FUNNY.  Then you have to get your land legs back.  Actor Ji has managed both activities:

sealegs.gif

See another under the spoiler 

Spoiler

sealegs2withgif.gif

Those two episodes were just filled with wonderful face reaction shots that just have to be put here for posterity and for any Ji fans who come after.  Like this:

thatface1.gif

Of course, there's more.  Do you really need to ask?  

Spoiler

Here's the Dangerous Face:

dangerousface.gif

And it is so worth it!

worthitface.gif

The "lyrics" are from a film and a broadway musical The Producers, written by Mel Brooks.  Here's a YouTube link so you can hear the song itself.  I couldn't find a cover by a female (except by Streisand, but it was tooooo downbeat for this guy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLvpfHjONo