• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 23px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"The New Kid: Ji Soo, Actorluckymic April 28, 2015RwLWDdf.png
Perhaps there can be no better distraction from one’s schoolbooks than when an unfamiliar face of a bona fide heartbreaker walks in. He’s new, he’s a looker, and he’s mysterious. And he’s got our attention. Such is the case with Ji Soo.
3im6FAg.png
You think it’s gonna be another regular, blase week watching your usual K-dramas – but then this kid just blindsides you. And then a certain guttural, low register cuts through the air - just where the heck did Ji Soo come from?
Why We Noticed Him
P0WEyd1.png

Ji Soo (full name: Kim Ji Soo) plays Go Bok Dong, a bully on MBC’s currently airing drama, “Angry Mom,” in which a mother takes matters into her own hands in order to protect her daughter.

There are tons of factors that go into creating a successful show: from the writing, direction, and production personalities, to the casting, on-set chemistry, and marketing. Everything contributes to the massive collaboration involved in making a hit.

But there’s a special kind of magic when a drama ends up showcasing an actor in the right way. 

XHDDKzZ.png

As Go Bok Dong, Ji Soo went from a textbook brute to a victimized one, a threatening kid who knows too much to a normal teen who fumbles over his feelings and awkwardly crushes on a classmate. (Even undercover ahjummas.) And though you could pass him off as some brand of a darkly ruminating Jordan Catalano, when we see his character’s entrapment and vulnerability, he holds his own and carries the intensity where it matters. He has an onscreen magnitude that sometimes belies his youth.

The fact that it’s his drama debut just makes you wonder how in the world no one gave him his big break any sooner. The 22 year old shares the screen with acting vets like Kim Hee WonKim Hee Sun, and Kim Yoo Jung.

UfxIojK.jpg

In short, “Angry Mom” just plucked him from obscurity and put him on the map.

mHx5SUp.jpg

Where He’s Been

1i0biOl.jpg

The young actor starred in independent feature “Seoul Mates” and had a small role in “Han Gong Ju.” (Though his small screen credits include 2012′s “To The Beautiful You” and the short-lived “Love Frequency 37.2,” “Angry Mom” is Ji Soo’s first major role in a K-drama.) He’s worked on a few short films, has a solid theater background, and once auditioned for the famed JYP Entertainment family.

Where To Catch Him Next He’s already done some modeling, and is reportedly considering feature film “Glory Days” for his next project. “Angry Mom” hasn’t even wrapped and Ji Soo’s bright star already has the industry buzzing. I’m looking forward to his future roles – may they be varied and as pleasantly unexpected as the first time we saw him. There’s a new kid in school, haven’t you heard?

v6Mk6uC.png

http://www.soompi.com/2015/04/28/the-new-kid-ji-soo-actor/

jsfakfljdsk.jpg

Ilgan Sports - Naver: Ji Soo cast in movie 'Glory Day' 

1. [+99, -4] Ji Soo is handsome and a good actor. I wish him well

2. [+85, -3] He's so cute in 'Angry Mom' ㅠㅠㅠㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+65, -4] Actor Ji is a hidden jewel! It's so nice to see him getting recognition~!! Fighting!!!!

4. [+33, -5] The rookie actor I'm most looking forward to. His acting is so natural and has such a charming face. I hope his agency doesn't make him do plastic surgery

5. [+28, -6] Reminds me of Jo In Sung when he was a rookie. I'm really enjoying 'Angry Mom'
-

I've received some requests to post more Ji Soo articles. I'll include this one here although it's not related to the movie

sfjakfj.jpg

sfjdjfk.jpg

MBN - Naver: Angry Mom's Ji Soo, an actor you'll look forward to tomorrow more than today

1. [+2998, -35] Those who got catapulted to stardom through 'Angry Mom': Go Bok Dong, Han Gong Ju, Wang Jeong Hee

2. [+1694, -11] Ah.. I really like him

3. [+1641, -10] Bok Dong is a cutie ㅋㅋ

4. [+190, -2] Ji Soo has become a household name through this drama~ Fighting to your future endeavours and I hope you become a well-respected actor~^^

5. [+170, -3] I'm a guy but I think he's incredibly cute. He'll probably the next big thing after Kim Soo Hyun

6. [+127, 0] People around me really like him. He's so charming. He was unknown for a long period of time and now he's finally in the spotlight. I wish the best for him^^

7. [+123, -1] Ji Soo, do well!! I love you

8. [+71, 0] At school these days, our conversations are invalid without the mention of Ji Soo

cr: kkuljaem

My first post on this temp. forum...

GLORY DAY Confirms Youth-led Cast
A Film About a Broken Friendship

Four young friends will have their relationship put in jeopardy after an incident one night in a new film by director CHOE Jeong-yeol, Glory Day (working title). CHOE who has worked in production for a while, accumulating experience in diverse fields on set. From taking small acting roles to working on the production team, screenplay adaptation and finally directing, CHOE was involved in works such as The Show Must Go On (2007) and Closer to Heaven (2009). For his shorts Man (2009) and The Unbearable Heaviness of Nagging (2009), CHEON received awards at the Blue Dragon Film Awards and the Grand Bell Film Awards as well as a few international film festivals.

The casting of the four friends has become a heated topic due to the involvement of a famous K-pop star. As a member of one of the most popular groups these days, EXO’s Suho will play a character named Sang-woo who is the initiator of the dilemma the friends face. This will be Suho’s first film in a lead role. KIM Ji-soo, a rising star who has been recognized for his latest role in the TV drama series Angry Mom, will be in the role of Yong-bi. Although it was a supporting role, KIM performed in last year’s award-winning indie film Han Gong-ju. Glory Day is RYOO Jun-yeol’s third film. His previous works include Socialphobia, which received positive criticism when it was released in March. The last of the four friends, Doo-man, will be played by KIM Hee-chan who has also been cast for the highly anticipated TV drama Producer, which will air in May. Holding the key to the fate of the four friends is PARK Hae-eun, a female newscaster who has the brains and the beauty, played by LEE Ji-yeon.

The four actors went through an open audition and were finally cast in the film. Glory Day will start shooting on May 1st.

Any copying, republication or redistribution of KOFIC's content is prohibited without prior consent of KOFIC.

koreanfilm

@fleurofjasmine do you have any idea how did actors Byun Yo Han and Ji Soo became so close?

@minoz_joyax

Sorry..I don't know either..

However, from Jisoo interview (with my limited understanding from translation), BYH is like his family and brother to Jisoo. JS also often asked about acting to BYH. So far from interview, Jisoo never explained how he and BYH become so close..

Ji Soo Describes What It’s Like to Work with 16 Years Older Actress Kim Hee Sun as His Love Interest in “Angry Mom”

In a recent interview for MBC, young actor Ji Soo, born in 1993, was asked about his chemistry with actress Kim Hee Sun who was born in 1977. In the drama “Angry Mom,” Ji Soo’s character, Bok Dong, is in love with Jo Bang Wool, the 18-year-old alter ego of Jo Kang Ja, played by Kim Hee Sun. In the drama, Jo Kang Ha has gone undercover as a high school student in her daughter’s school to defend her daughter against bullies.

Ji Soo explains that it’s easy to believe that Kim Hee Sun is a high school student because she is so pretty and looks like she is in her 20s. “When she is wearing her school uniform, I really see her as Jo Bang Wool,” says Ji Soo. He has no trouble focusing on his character and his relationship with Jo Bang Wool. He adds,”Bok Dong can’t help but fall for her because [Kim Hee Sun] is so pretty and fits the [character of Jo Bang Wool].”

Kim Hee Sun has also talked about working with the young actor, saying,“I’m living vicariously through the drama.”

Ji Soo also reveals in the interview that he ad-libbed a line in drama in which Bok Dong almost confesses his feelings to Bang Wool. In the scene, Bok Dong tries to dramatically reenact a typical K-drama confession scene. He asks if she likes him and then starts to say, “I lik…,” but since it is his first time confessing and he is nervous, he ends up just saying her name- Jo Bang Wool- and walks away embarrassed. The word for “like” in Korean starts with the “jo” sound, which is the same sound that starts Jo Bang Wool’s name.

Soompi

Archived