Super dry hair :-(

Bechamel

I get cold very easily (even when it is 80 degrees, I sometimes get chills lol) so I take really hot showers all the time. This of course, dried my once very oily hair out. I'm prone to getting really frizzy hair even when I don't brush it and my hair just looks dead all the time. I tried taking cold showers or at least, washing my hair with cold water, but it's really hard for me to stick with it. I started using 10 Miracle Leave-In product and it helped just a little bit. Do you guys have any suggestions to treating my dry hair? 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hyunsong

You can try argan oil. I just got a digital perm and my hair became really dry but I did a treatment using Paul Mitchell's Super Strength Treatment and have been using argan oil everyday and my hair is almost 90% back to normal. 

Guest glamazon21

You could also try leave-in conditioners and hair masks as well. I've put extra virgin olive oil in my hair before and had fantastic results with it. 

I had super dry hair too - for me it was due to having repeated chemical treatment such as perms and dyes and not knowing how to care for my hair properly. It was so bad that every salon I went to told me how dry my hair was. My hair is still on its way to recovery but it is in much much better shape. Here is what you need to do: First, if you have dry hair, you probably also have a lot of breakage and split ends. You need to cut them first because once split ends start it will split the healthier,newer hairs too. Then, You shouldnt shower every day. If you must in order to get warm, wear a shower cap. Wetting your hair loses body temp anyway so this is probably better. And wash your hair every other day. The shampoo you use should be sulfate free. This doesn't mean it's necessarily expensive. Just do your research there are even drug store shampoos that don't have sulfate in them now. Don't use a conditioner - use a hair mask in place of one. It's much more moisturizing - you do have to wait a little longer - sometimes when I don't have time, I wash it off right away but the key is to use on a regular basis. I use the macadamia oil hair masque (you can find this at target) and use it every other day or every 2 days. When you apply this, you should either comb through your hair with fingers or with a wide toothed comb for an even application. Don't use a brush because that will create breakage. Don't buy this on ebay bc there's too many fakes. There's another one called argan oil hair mask by nature republic which scored #1 on the blindtest fron getitbeauty (korean website) if you prefer that. But I haven't tried that one personally and macadamia hair masque is highly raved bt youtube gurus everywhere. Lastly, since you have frizzy hair you might want to invest in a hair serum and a heat protectant spray when you blow dry your hair but keeping it away from blow dryers and stuff for awhile, probably will help. leave-in conditioners do help, but it is not necessary in my opinion. I have heard wonderful things about using diy hair masks like extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, egg, or mayonaise. I've tried the last one, it works but it is messy. I thinj it could be great if you do use it once a week. But when I just used right shampoo and replaced my conditioner with hair masque, my hair stopped feeling like a piece of hay after I finished my first pot of macadamia oil. If you must order your products online, I suggest this site:http://www.flatironexperts.com/Best-Shampoo-Top-3-Recommended-s/304.htm It looked shady so I cross checked across forums and others but I order all my hair products from there and their recommendation is on point. Their best products are really best of best. So yeah, good luck!

OMG thank you so much for your responses! I'll definitely try out some of the suggestions here. I normally towel dry my hair and then put on leave-in conditioners but I don't think it's enough. I'll check out the argon/olive oil and the hair mask you guys recommended :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest bebeauty

There is no product better for dry, firzzy, brittle hair than 100% argan oil!! There is a reason it is known as "liquid gold", it has made my hair and face look fresh and healthy!! The trick is to only buy 100% pure argan oil. DO NOT buy the brands that mix it with other ingredients, cutting their costs and charging you for it, those are terrible for your hair. I love ISA Professional's EVAO (Extra Virgin Argan Oil), it dries quickly, has a light scent and leaves my hair very hydrated!! I used to have dry and brittle hair as well and since I started using this stuff, my hair has never looked so healthy and soft. I highly recommend you try it, it is so worth it!!

• 2 months later...

I use Pro Naturals, a hair repair system and the leave in treatment is Moroccan argan oil. Take a read of this pro-naturals.com/news/argan-oil-uses-benefits.  I started using this in December 2014 and it has definitely helped my hair. I no longer have brittle end bits and my hair is very soft and manageable. I apply the argan oil to my freshly shampooed hair, mainly on the tips and halfway up the length, I do not put any on my scalp or roots. It also provides protection against heat styling tools, no more split ends!

Guest severus

Cut the dead dry ends off, and start doing hair masks weekly, just a drop of argon oil before heading out will be fine on a daily basis. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest radenayu

I have dry hair too because I often dyed my hair. Now, my hair is better, I use hair serum & hair mask which made from coconut oil. I also don't wash my hair everyday. When I wash the hair, I try to massage the scalp for about 3 minutes. You may want to try :)

Do you use any heating tools? That is usually the culprit more than hot showers. I love my hot showers too! But I found that once I stop blow drying and using curling irons my hair got much more healthy.

I love using coconut oil in my hair--it smells so good too!

• 1 month later...

Do you use any heating tools? That is usually the culprit more than hot showers. I love my hot showers too! But I found that once I stop blow drying and using curling irons my hair got much more healthy.

I love using coconut oil in my hair--it smells so good too!

Yes I use an Ultralight Ionic hair dryer and a G3 Salon Pro styling iron but I find that because I use my Pro Naturals Moroccan argan oil after each shampoo and before blow drying and heat styling it acts as a great heat protectant. I don't have any split ends or frizzy ends but my hair is shiny and manageable.

For me the argan oil is preferable, I find coconut oil much too heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

yea i heard leave in conditioners helps and u could also try leaving in oil instead.. like coconut oil.. i hearsd it's really good for u.. not just hair.. skin as well.. but yea u could leave in oil for like half an hour or overnight for possibly even better results and just wash it off afterwards.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Heya,

I would suggest you to never dry your hair using a towel!!! I mean don't scrub your hair, instead, tie the towel around your hair and squeeze the excessive amount of water from your hair. This will ensure that your hair isn't ripped off essential hair. All the best!!

You could also check us out at: www.indushairextensions.com 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, so many people replied! Thank you all for your helpful suggestions! I've started coconut oil treatments and hair masks weekly. I feel like my hair is more silky and nice to touch hehehe. And I'll def try not to wring my hair with a towel lols. 

Tyvm for all your help! :wub:

• 11 months later...

Archived