Quantcast
czakhareina

[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

K-Drama Rewind: Reply 1988

reply-1988-landing.jpg?w=750
Date: September 7, 2017 Author: grumpyahjumma

Annyeong, ahjummamshies! It’s my birth month, so I took this opportunity to feature some of my most favorite K-dramas… the dramas that never left my heart. It was really hard to pick just two dramas to feature for this bi-monthly segment here in our humble blog, so I hope you will have fun reading my simple present for all you, our readers. ♥

Reply 1988 Poster.jpg

For the first part of my Grumpy Flashback birthday series, I will feature a special drama that’s also a fan favorite among K-drama lovers. Starring Lee Hye-ri, Park Bo-gum, Go Kyung-pyo, Ryu Jun-yeol and Lee Dong-hwi, Reply 1988 is the third installment of tvN’s Reply series which aired in November 2015 to January 2016 for 20 jam-packed episodes. Set in 1988, the drama revolves around the life of five friends and their families living in the same neighborhood of Ssangmun-dong, Dobong District, Northern Seoul.

Reply 1988 Bora Noeul.jpg

It remains the undisputed highest rated cable drama in South Korea, with its finale recording an 18.8% nationwide audience share. Although Reply 1988 was bashed for it’s unexpected ending, the drama was still well-received critically by K-drama fans worldwide. It followed the husband guessing game trope that was evident in every installment of the Reply franchise.

• KIM JUNG-HWAN, THE PERFECT SON, BROTHER, FRIEND

Reply 1988 Kim Junghwan bus.gif

If you don’t know it yet, let me explain briefly why Kim Jung-hwan is called Jungpal by almost every one here. The nickname “gae jungpal” is derived from “dae” which means “dog” in Korean, Jung-hwan, and “pal” or friend. Only Deok-sun adds the “dae,” while the rest of the boys only call him “jungpal.”

Jungpal is known for his prickly, no non-sense attitude. Also a consistent honor student, he is different from the bookish Sun-woo because he does not like studying. He often spends his time watching adult movies, reading comics, and playing football. It’s just fascinating that the actor who played Jung-hwan (Ryu Jun-yeol) is also intelligent, knows how to speak English, and loves football. So, I can definitely say Jun-yeol is indeed Jung-hwan and Jung-hwan is Jun-yeol. (IFKWIM)

Reply 1988 Junghwan and Jungbong.jpg

His love for his parents and his brother Jung-bong (Ahn Jae-hong) was also beyond eternal. We all know Jung-bong as the timid boy with a heart ailment, who always failed the college entrance exams, but got himself a girlfriend! But Jung-hwan’s promise of fulfilling every dream that Jung-bong had was the most admirable thing he did for his family. He also surprised his parents of a wedding reception after realizing that their wedding picture was not real. He wrote English characters on her mother’s passport so she can read it when they traveled abroad.

• TOP JUNG-HWAN AND DEOK-SUN MOMENTS

For those who are familiar with Reply 1988’s ending, we all know by now that Deok-sun did not end up with everyone’s favorite guy. Ryu Jun-yeol even gained the nickname “Nation’s Husband” because of this. Winning numerous polls from different fan sites, Jung-hwan was undoubtedly the most favored second lead in K-dramaland. But as the news broke out that Jun-yeol and Hyeri are confirmed to be dating, I guess it’s safe to say that Jungpal got the girl in the end! So to celebrate the success of Jung-hwan and Deok-sun shippers, the ahjummamshies squad compiled our most favorite moments of the (real-life) lovebirds!

Reply 1988 Jungpal 2
Reply 1988 JungDeoksun
Reply 1988 Jungpal 4
  • Alley scene – Jungpal’s turning point

Reply 1988 Alley Scene.gif

Read the full article here:

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2017/09/07/k-drama-rewind-reply-1988/

Hii.

Even after almost two years since its premiere, Reply 1988 still gives that feels. It's a gem and one of my faves. And being such, it became my inspiration to somehow make a poem or just scribbles . You can read it here.

I hope I somehow gave justice to it. Hehe. Thank you! :)