[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I haven't watch ep 19 and no plan on watching it either. As bitter as it sounds but for me, reply 1988 ended in ep 18 when junghwan let go of his first love and he moved on. To all junghwan-deokson shippers, i feel you all, i know we are disappointed, sad and heartbroken right now but we should congratulates taek-deokson shippers and be happy for them. After all, this is just a drama, a fictional at that. Let's all move on and be happy and we should also be grateful to the pd and the writer for creating this series coz if it weren't for them, we won't get to know the great and amazing actor ryu jun yeol is. Jung hwan may not be the husband but Ryu jun yeol gained a lot of fans locally and internationally. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am team Taek but until ep 18 even ep 19 I still not 100% sure Taek is end game. why? not bcs its fishy. but it bcs the writer really like to troll us. and I dont want to blame other person (like the writer) for my own heartbreak... so I protect myself with the thought, both of them is POSSIBLE candidate for husband. the clues for Taek as husband is there (do not explain this, too many ppl in this thread wrote this) but the story of JH first love from his POV is clear too. so yes, my heart goes for TK but JH too isn't someone I can despise... if you see it objectively (i hope i am not biased) the reason why we #teamTaek wants Taek to be a husband not only bcs he's adorable. but there are some clues that shows him as a strong candidate husband. I keep my expectation low bcs I want no heartbreak for this show. since both JH and TK character is great. and this show is great indeed. it makes me laugh and sad. the family things, the friendship things is so beautiful. touching. warm. and I want to remember it as that kind of drama. I want no hate for this show. I dont want to be a fans of this drama who end up hating this drama just bcs the romance of drama doesnt go my way...

so I am team Taek. but as I said. we saw JH's POV too much. and I think it's normal to relate to him that much.

anw the reason I am team Taek not only bcs the clues. I like the way he's so straightforward lol I want that kind of man. not only taking care of me secretly but also directly.

whatever, I am going to miss the family things and friendship things in reply 1988. glad to watch this drama and a part of you guys in this thread!

I liked Taek, I wanted him to be the husband but I've gotten the husband wrong twice because I tend to like the sweet boys more over the prickly ones. However I wish people will stop saying the writer changed the script. As someone who was on the losing ship twice before I've realised to not trust the writer. I seem to remember them releasing articles every time saying that they haven't decided on the husband until the end only to come out later to tell us that it was decided all along and right from the beginning. Watch it again. The hints are always there leading to the husband and yes there are always red herrings. They changed the game this time a bit, the red herrings weren't shared traits like before. If it was they would have make JH smoke, make him date more girls, make him left handed, wear not enough clothes. This is what they did with the last series, in 1997 it was the ring, the sweet drinks. 

This time the red herring was using people's assumptions about the series. They casted RJY who fits the image of the previous husbands. They used the on going gag of Dong Il never getting his preferred son in law. However watch carefully Dong Il's losing strike was over done, they pointed it out to highlight that it was intentional. It was a blazing red herring, it was supposed to be misleading. The husbands personality was a red herring much like the previous red herrings. They showed that JH and Taek had similar personalities or at least the potential to both resemble the husband.

JH was a great character. If I was a JH shipper I would be happy. He learned to let go and he got over it. Watch the other second leads they never seemed to have gotten over the rejection. In 97 the brother kept waiting for the girl (I forgot the names) to choose him after his failed proposal, in the end he had to accept that the girl and YJ were together. In 94 Chilbong kept waiting for a chance for NJ to leave Trash and be with him, it never happened. However JH gave up before he could be rejected, I think that was better than the rest of them. I'm not going to say Taek was nicer than JH to DS, they both had their moments. However in the end JH gave up, he saved himself from even greater heartbreak. My only hope is that they don't just go pairing him off with someone random. I want JH to be that cool ahjussi who is still popular with the girls at a middle age. Maybe, maybe he'll find the one eventually, at an older age. I wish JH fans didn't quit watching the drama after the reveal because JH was very awesome at the end of episode 19, he's doing better than fine.

As for Taek, people have noted the hints that were to Taek. But I've pointed this out in the beginning but older DS said she first met the husband all those years back. I noted my childhood photo theory that they were lined up in the order DS met the boys. Following that I noted that DS would have met JH first, possibly they were crib mates. So if JH was the husband from the beginning it should have been "I've known him since I was born" or for ambiguity just plainly "We grew up together" with no additional information. Head back to when older No Eul visited, JH would have known No Eul as an infant. A year difference would be noticeable to a toddler due to differences in capabilities. However a year difference among lower elementary or kindergarten would have been difficult to spot if the child looked above his age. Also to add that the husband was likely Taek to begin with, he was made to be the youngest of the group while JH is one of the oldes. This means JH has a bigger age gap with No Eul which would have been more obvious when they were toddlers, while Taek has a smaller age gap with No Eul and met No Eul later giving reason for him to believe No Eul was older. 

It is rare to come by a good drama that makes us invest so much of our time, heart and mind. It is not just a drama for entertainment ~ we poured our hearts into it, seriously. (And, yes, I feel a bit exhausted now.)

The writer and PD told the story in a way they have wanted. We watched and interpreted it according to our own understanding and personal experiences. No regrets for loving all the characters. I am sure the drama has earned a significant position in the history of Korean dramas.

Spoiler

Goodbye, Reply 1988, it is a pleasure to have met you!

Hello, Ryu Jun-yeol, I can't help falling in love with you via your character Jung-pal. You are a precious gem I discovered here. Hope to see you again soon! XOXOXO

I'm so glad they got the whole love triangle out of the way early in then episode. I felt like the whole question on who is she with detracted from the great show overall.  

The family's are the stars of the show not the loveliness.

why do i feel like i've been played for 16 episodes? I'm not upset that JH is not the husband. Both Taek and JH are good catches so who in the end is the husband is really based on the personal perference of the viewer. The writer literally spent 17 episodes telling the story from either DS or JH's POV, which makes no sense if Taek is the husband. If the writer felt that JH and Taek will not be able to start from the same footing and gave JH a handicap, i personally think that the first half of the series should've been enogh cuz JH already had me by epidsode 3... by episode 10, i wanted to marry him instead.

Instead of showing JH needlessly pinning over DS for so many episodes, we really should've focused on DS and Taek's development within the appropriate timeline and not having to move backwards in time from the future. this latest episode just feels like the writters were pulling on our legs by trying to keep the suspense of guessing the husband till the end. Honestly, i'm not angry that JH is not the husband since Taek earned his place next to DS, i'm just upset that the writer needlessly kept the suspense of husband hunt till the end. i would've been totally satisfied if JH learned about DS's feeling towards Taek, sulked, and then moved on. I really hope we can properly close off JH's storyline since so MUCH effort was placed into building this character and i would be VERY angry if we just glossed over how his life is post DS during the last episode.

ALSO, why did it take us 18 episode to learn SUNG SUNWOO? 17 episode of just SUNWOO became SUNG SUNWOO... what's the big idea. i always thought that there was a significant storyline in why his surname was withheld, but now that it's been revealed, i'm thinking, maybe they should've just kept the surname a secret cuz now it really feels forced. lmao.

I feel sorry for those who won't watch this episode.  The end is especially wonderful.  The dance part at the end is not to be missed.

@mrukki OOH I love that theory about the ages. That makes so much sense.  I really do think next episode will show nothing was changed from the beginning.  Maybe they could have done a better job in some instances, but they kept the same story.  Too much planning goes in to this drama for them to change things on the fly, and for no real reason.  It's not like TK was a more popular pick for husband after all.  

Hello, I'm totally new here, and come here to calming myself down from the heartbreak T.T

Every post is so heartwarming here, no judging, but give rational reasons instead. I can accept the reality now, eheheh.

In Reply 1997, between Yoon Jae and her brother, no one want let go at first. In Reply 1994 as well, Oppa and Chilbong keep hold into Na Jeong until (near) the end. They're fight their best to make the girl they love theirs. But it's little different with Reply 1988. Jung Hwan character is like .. too kind? He always think about others before his self. That why he was so miserable, struggle alone, lonesome (and that's why it's hurt every DS-JS shipper!) But what can we do? That's his choice. He choose to ignore DS because of Taek. He always hesitant in eeeeverything about DS. That' why he can't show his love clearly. That's why he isn't the husband. Because love need to be shown.

Ah, our poor jung pal ~ I'm happy for DS- Taek anyway. They're look cute together, I have to admit that.

Thankyou for great drama. The people behind this is kinda genius, really. Reply series never fail to amaze me (and break my heart twice, lol). Thankyouuuu ~

Kindly Regards,

#ForeverChilbongTeam #ForeverJungHwanTeam

About the Sunwoo & Bora's surname issue:

As far as I know, the family name 'Sung' is rare, and has only one origin, the city 'Chang Nyung'. It means all 'Sung's are relatives, either close or far. At year 1994, marriage between same surname+same origin was prohibited strictly, couldn't even think about it. They couldn't do either marriage registration or birth registration for their kids. Isn't it too cruel?

I remember from year 1995 or 1996, the government permitted temporarily marriage registration and birth registration for couples who were in putative marriage status. But it needed proof, children. And later, maybe at year 1997, the constitutional law was changed finally! All the same surname&same origin couples can do a marriage registration if they are not too close (such as cousins).

But still in year 2016, marriage between same surname+same origin are not welcomed. Old people think it's not right.

I think the production team is great, they prepared it for 20 episodes to show this issue. Sunwoo's surname has been hidden. I am very glad that it is shown on public TV.

I love all the episodes in ep19, the remarriage and the appreciation plaque. Such heartwarming stories.

For Suffering(Struggling) Lovers -- N.EX.T  (Shin HaeCheol RIP)  >> Song While SW-BR Kissing On Stairs  : Shin Hae Cheol made this song to console these same surname+same origin couples.

Hi guys!! This is the first time I'm posting and I'm so excited and sad that the end is here.

I just want to give my thoughts on the whole Taek vs JH rivalry. Like a lot of people, I was rooting for JH and even let myself kind of root for Taek at times (what can i say?? they're both great characters. we can't deny that). After watching eps 18 & 19, I couldn't help but compare them with my own life. I realized I had a JH in my life at one point. My best guy friend (we'll call him Jack) has been with me through middle school to the present. It wasn't until a few months ago he said he loved me for quite some time, but he stopped.

There were times when I would question how he acted towards me. He'd be like a boyfriend or acted like he at least felt something other than friendship. But of course, I was young and naive and didn't dare do anything about it for the sake of not making it awkward. I asked Jack why he stopped having feelings for me and he said that he missed his chance. He always held back and and at one point just let me go when he realized I was falling for someone else.

After hashing some things out, he said he felt relieved to have this closure of finally telling me. I'm sure JH felt that through his "joke" confession of ep 18. This is why I love Reply 1988 so much despite not getting the end couple I originally wanted: it's so REAL. Timing is a richard simmons, but you have to at least make the effort of creating your own fate. Sometimes you don't even get the closure you need. Despite the first love trope that a lot of dramas try to force, they're not reality most of the time. First loves are not always reciprocated, not always the last love, but it's a good experience.

I now have a boyfriend who I love and Jack has a girlfriend who he loves. Just like JH and Taek, we're all growing from our experiences and I think that's what Reply 1988 is truly about!

(Sorry for the rambling! :sweatingbullets: I just see so many parallels with my life that I just wanted to share my observations. Let's continue to watch the last episode with the same excitement we had for the 1st ep!)

7 minutes ago, saturn. said:

About the Sunwoo & Bora's surname issue:

As far as I know, the family name 'Sung' is rare, and has only one origin, the city 'Chang Nyung'. It means all 'Sung's are relatives, either close or far. At year 1994, marriage between same surname+same origin was prohibited strictly, couldn't even think about it. They couldn't do either marriage registration or birth registration for their kids. Isn't it too cruel?

I remember from year 1995 or 1996, the government permitted temporarily marriage registration and birth registration for couples who were in putative marriage status. But it needed proof, children. And later, maybe at year 1997, the constitutional law was changed finally! All the same surname&same origin couples can do a marriage registration if they are not too close (such as cousins).

But still in year 2016, marriage between same surname+same origin are not welcomed. Old people think it's not right.

I think the production team is great, they prepared it for 20 episodes to show this issue. Sunwoo's surname has been hidden. I am very glad that it is shown on public TV.

I love all the episodes in ep19, the remarriage and the appreciation plaque. Such heartwarming stories.

Can I copy this for SWxBR shipper thread?

The story is not right? Not logical?

Remember that the scriptwritter always builds the character “husband” with the very familiar background/fomula: he is "a member" of the girl's family. He connects very well with them, sometimes it made viewer thinks he is a "real" family member.

+Reply97: likes twins(brickering anf brickering) b/w Shiwon and Yoonjae

+Reply94: “oppa” and younger sister b/w Najung and Trash

+Reply88: "noona" and younger bro b/w Duksun and Taek(like mom takes care her son)

Taek's screen time... um... just like a cameo but everytime he comes, he'll make a strong existent. And when he disappears, they talk about him, his room is their headquater, parents praise him... AND, we can take the whole drama as his journey/process to grow up from a baby must nursed to a "real" man to DS. At first, he's quiet, an idiot master of baduk. Then, he began to transfrom to the dark side... yup, um, bad guy that girls scream or(really?), more mature when take care of her, protect her, and agree she's alway right to protect her  pride :x..etc.. He's just like an onion, make us too curious to discover what next after taking off each of his layer.

The script was changed b/c of the popularity of the other rival guy?

Nope. The scriptwritter set in her mind who is the husband from the beginning. She did it till the end. They said that it focus more about family. Not like R94, we(not all CB shipper) really really want her to change it so CB could be NJ's husband or thinking with our Delusion that she changed to made Trash is husband. We that forgot, they need profit too. Leading(and trolling) us to wrong direction to keep(maintain) the rating. THE MOST IMPORTANT: we IGNORED THE LEADING GIRL'S FEELING.

Love? It's hard to say. DS's feeling is mystery, it made all of us so confused. Plus she was ifluented by her 2 girlfriends. There we have, 1: SW likes you(wrong), 2:JH likes you(true but he put her away b/c he chose friendship), 3: Taek thinks of you as a pushover(wrong b/c he likes her, but still, he chooses friendship too). With JH, she acted the same as with SW. Don't forget/ignore 1 important thing: she likes reading LOVE novel'. And, she's hungry for love, to be loved by someone because her misunderstand from the way her family treating her... until DR woke her up. That talk, important is you like who, not who likes you.

About what happened after that kiss likes dream? Beside teenager's crush, there's more important things. Their dreams, their future... that's why we have the talk between father and daughter. One more thing, about the breakup of Boo-Woo couple in 1989... She decided it for their future. They love now but will it last with only love? She let the head win, yes. She's cruel, yes. But she's willing to bet for their future, with only 1% of anything. She tried her best, the rest's belong to the fate to give the chance. But with her character, I doubt that she'd sit still, just make fate takes her side. :))

In R94, I shipped CB b/c of his "crazy" love and the delusion NJ likes him too that they(yes, awesome trollers) created for us. This time with R88, I chose to be a delurker because I'm scare. B/c I'm afraid of not keeping my  cold head once I join the discussion(sorry).

When I chose T, I prepared for willing to accept the end with JH is the husband. I just hope they won't be too cruel with his like were with CB. CB didnt end his love with NJ, he just tranfered it to a "falling from sky" girl, a Dolly version of NJ within 1-2 mins. Not as TW in R97, he could find his other half in a "wonderful" way.

JH confessed to test her love or use it to end his unrequited love. He made the right decision. No? Just ignore everything, fighting spirit "it's not over until it's over" without regreting later? No, he did that because he loves DS, he loves T, and their 20 years friendship. The same as TW, he loves SW, loves YJ and their bromance. It's not apply for R94, for the relationship between CB and T. They rarely talked, the most direct talk was when CB declared war again T to fight for NJ's love. Their relationship was just a "sunbae" and a "hoobae", no more.

Ep.20? These are what I hope for:

- The spoiler about DS and JH at the airport? I think that will happen when JH goes back to Socheon(pls correct me) after the group's meeting. That's when DS thanks for his love and a forehead kiss. Ok?

- About SW-BR, I'm waiting for JJ's reaction... Sis-in-laws... war... maybe? :)

- About M&A b/w the Choi and the Sung and the Sung, just let Noel marry JJ(if he didnt break up with his 1988 gf). That's done! =))

- DR, fighting for his dream(don’t know what his dream is) and of course, his love(maybe with WJH?) 

- And last, Junghwan ah,

Fate brings chance,(it’s you who make decision) don’t hestitate to take it, to create your destiny. If not, you should ask BR to teach you how to create your opportunities.

The rumor that they’ll use the aircraft incident in 97 or after that – Fate will bring to him a sexy nurse(doctor) with C… D? or maybe a E cup? And then, a love story b/w a pilot and a Hot SEXY professional nurse… (we see) a HOT SEXY trouble-making nurse… (goat sounds)

Thank for reading it. Waiting for ep 20.  Oh, if there’s a twist, it’s okay for me to flip the table? Or they want a mini-“makjang” in ep 20, such as DS’s dad throws an envelope to T and said ”Leave my daughter!”… O_o …. Ah, it can apply to BR-SW too.

2 hours ago, alleverything said:

If I would have the time and patience to read this thread back (I don't), I would see most of the people who are being all confident and DUH about Taek and DS now. But you were ALL saying "Oh well I know Taek will not be the husband", "Junghwan is the husband but I'm rooting for Taek even though I know it won't happen". The best thing is, you even called yourselves the Taektanic or w/e because you knew it was going to sink. I mean come on.

This is what most Taek/Deoksun kept saying for the majority of the drama, probably up until the 2 week break. I know you're celebrating now, and that's nice. But please, don't act like you don't see where us "aggressive, blind Junghwan stans" are coming from.

If the endgame's supporters didn't see it happening for the longest time, don't you agree that something fishy went on inside that writer's room? Yeah, it was beneficial for you, so of course now you're throwing the "YOURE JUST BLAMING THE WRITERS BECAUSE YOUR SHIP SANK" in our faces. By the end of last week, I already told myself I wouldn't be happy with either of the husbands because the writers just messed it up for both guys. So no that argument does not count.

You can't tell me you guys (Taek/DS) people are happy with the way they got together? Just because there was an intense kiss involved...

I am unsatisfied, disappointed, and dumbfounded. This did not make sense and everyone knows it deep inside, no matter what "team" you're on.

Because few weeks back this thread has become JH-DS thread.. Some even claimed JH-DS are the main OTP or ask for kiss..

When some people try to give arguments about suntaek, some tend to skip it or mock us even the posts have been deleted by the moderators.. It looks so aggressive to us.. The thread becomes uncomfortable for suntaek shipper.. That's why many of us (who believe TK is the end game) prefer to stay in the shipper paradise.. And some people are tend not to speak or posts but still believe or enjoy the story.. 

I don't mean to offend you.. I am sorry if I do that.. But I'm one of some people who believe taek is the husband from the beginning and I post some of my arguments even before the break.. 

And it's not because the kiss, we happy that they together.. My personal opinion is because their deep relationship.. They don't need grand gesture but subtle move that pile up and become love.. 

I haven't come to terms to the fact that today is the last episode :'(

I'll miss all the brilliant analysis of the script, cinematography, even detailed analysis regrading the clues here. also the excitement when looking forward to new eps.. This drama makes us invest so much emotionally.

Congratulations to all TK-DS and SW-BR shippers! you guys made it safely till the end. :) I guess no shipper's heart is calm from ep 1, since the production team hv history of trolling and double-trolling that lead us to develop trust issues with them XD

I think since we were trolled by recent scene leaded to Chilbong in R1994,  so this time someone just ignored a lot of hints such as smoke, left handed, music festival, formal talk w NE,... Beside, let's talk about personallity change, you guys must forget about how BR in 2015/2016, she's tottaly different compare with some earlier ep, anyone can change after nearly 30 years, btw Choi Taek tease DS more than you though for sure. So I think all hint in recent are make sense. No doubt about it.

And as the character, Choi Taek is gem. Out of loveline, we can see how thoughtful he is when ask SW for combine 2 family so that his dad wont be lonely anymore, he treat those annoy reporter a delicous meal, call to make sure JH's dad has surgery as soon as possible,... This boy is deserved to be happy than anyone.

And I want to tell that for me, this is the best moment so far

Their chemistry is no joke, I can feel love in the air chingu ya :heart:

I accept all. Deok Sun made her choice. I asked her to choose and that she did. It's not the choice I would have made and it is not the choice I expected her to make, however she is and has been very much in love and very much happy with Taek (as what the interview shows me) so as heart broken as I am all I can do is accept what is and rewatch to see all that I missed. Man it just kills me that i stayed with Junghwan and his feelings  but that too I shall let go of. I accept everything and I am happy for Deok Sun and Taek, their shared years of happiness , and the shippers who obviously saw what I was missing. However this is honestly how I feel right now:

Writer: You go Sung Sunwooo. Four for you Choi Taek......And none for Kim Junghwan. Byeeee! LOL. I think I am more mad at myself for all the things I missed than I am at everything else. What really kills me is that no, I don't get to keep the damn hair, the LMH fanboying, and where is the freaking dog :tears: My Bong come and love me. Hug me through this hurt and pain. 

I'll do a rewatch and probably kick myself for all the things the others side have been saying that I just completely obviously read wrong. It hurts a lot. Not going to lie. I am sitting in a bar trying to drink my pain away because I was so sure but eh, tomorrow when i wake up from my hangover and watch episode 20 it'll be fine. I appreciate this drama for all that it gave me, the lessons that i learned, the family, the failed and achieved first loves (deok sun is taek's first love), and just the fact that i called my mom and sisters after each episode....man even though i feel you played me (as i played myself) and did me wrong this episode...I LOVE YOU WRITERS AND TEAM the Kim family and my Jungbong and Junghwan hold a special place in my fangirling heart. SunBora are going to get their happy ending (even though I could never ship it like I did/do Deok Sun and Junghwan, yes I am still riding that sinking ship) and my little ray of sunshine Deok Sun is happy and has made her choice (which is what I wanted since the ball was put back into her court). 

Basically I accept what is and regret nothing. I ship what I ship. I was wrong where I was wrong and ahjumma give me some chicken feet with this soju LOL. I legit feel like this: 

Writers: You go Sunwoo. Four for you Choi Taek.....and none for Kim Junghwan, bye!

But I and half of Korea played into the writers game and did it to ourselves as much as they did it to us. I want a lot of heart breaking cute richard simmons in episode 20 so I truly let go. Crush my heart and chop it into a million little pieces from the get go team. Give me no room for doubt (though I really don't) and just snatch that crown, take that weave and my edges with it LOL. Be cold blooded as richard simmons because that is what i need. give me all the TaekSun make outs and first times and proposal and marriage (which they already are I know but I still need to see the asking and the teary eyed yes) I am yours do your worst writers cause i really don't see nor do I want a twist. Omo I think all shippers will unite to fly to S.Korea and kill ya'll if you pull some richard simmons like that LOL. 

I just need the good-bye and the end and then I will let go....i hurts but I really.....it is what it is....

3 hours ago, alleverything said:

You can't tell me you guys (Taek/DS) people are happy with the way they got together? Just because there was an intense kiss involved...

I can't speak for all, but I AM.

And I would be, even without the two incredible hot heart fluttering kisses.

Hi,

New user here! I'm sad that I joined the party so late but I've been reading this thread for spoilers and opinions since the beginning of the show. Personally I think ppl saying deoksun liked every guy too easily, have to realize that Deoksun was a teenager when all of this happened, and very immature. Everytime her friends told her that the guy liked her, she went for him but when Taek kissed her, she lied saying it never happened. That shows that Deoksun cared more about him than the rest, and cherished her friendship with Taek. Also, since Taek is a celebrity and pro-baduk player it makes sense that Deoksun & her husband are getting interviewed...perhaps they are filming a biography on him. Why would ppl wanna interview Junghwan??

I was #TeamDeoksun since both leads were charming in their own ways, I was happy with whoever she would choose but I always did wonder who Taek would end up with bc unlike Junghwan Taek literally needs Deoksun. He can't function properly without her and when he went to sleep without eating medicine the night of their 2nd kiss...so cute. I do wish that the writer hadn't turned Junghwan into a self-sacrificing fool and I really hope they show scenes of him getting over DS in ep 20.

Archived