[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Weak my richard simmons. And btw Choi Taek will always be one step ahead. A character that is based on honored baduk player. He will go down the history. Legendary character in kdrama-land. His appearance will be cosplayed a lot trust me.

what you give, you get.

he care for Doeksun, he loves her unconditionally, he helps her when she is in need, he supports her, he gave jacket when she is cold, he accept her just the way she is. That's why Choi Taek gets his woman at the end. Because he made effort. Not just watching her and hesitate all the time.

When the two is busy establishing their feelings, the other one is busy studying, frustating, and look pitiful for several episodes. Even got less screen time. Sorry not sorry.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Booger Face said:

Can someone please tell me why Jung Hwan's nickname is Jung Pal? I know I missed it somewhere, but I don't know where to look.

From Dramabeans, Recap of Episode 1: Next to him, a prickly boy snaps at Dong-ryong to stuff his face later. This is KIM JUNG-HWAN (Ryu Joon-yeol), introduced simply as “Dog.” Ha. The voiceover adds, “He’s not yet human.” Jung-hwan lives upstairs, as the map indicates.

Jung Pal basically means Jung the Dog.

The last few episodes clearly indicated that Taek is the husband. Episode 18 showed how JH could never get the right timing with DS and he did confess. A confession that only meant that he finally accepted that he could never be the one for DS. 

Episode 19 clearly says that he finally moved on. Even Taek knew that. That's why he was relieved when the two of them were eating.

I think I'll wait until subtitles come out and watch it later. 

Going to have a nice break today and reflect over my life, JH has really made me think about my life choices.

On the plus side it'll be a surprise to find out who Future JH would be (I think someone hinted that somewhere in this thread?) and he's future wife - let there be a cute scenario of how they met! Or just seeing JH happy with his life is good enough for me. I really do hope I see a scene where Jh has completely moved on and continues to bicker and play with DS.

I guess ep 20 will show more scenes of how DS has come to like Taek, and tie up loose ends :) The fighting in the preview looks like it'll showcase how Taek becomes more like his Future self. 

JH Shipper signing off ><

I was a rabid fan of 1997 and 1994, and have throughly enjoyed this installment, but I was 1 episode behind before this week and I am not watching the last two episodes after hearing that TK is the husband. I'm in the camp that believes they did not develope the TK/DS ROMANTIC relationship at all. This feels very very rushed and like it was done because it was obvious from the way that she developed JH that he was the one for DS. It is like the writer didn't  want to be called for going with the obvious again. But that is the whole damn point of organic storytelling. If you do it right, and you write your characters with care, the audience naturally sees where things belong. It's not predictability, it's good storytelling. 

TK/DS doesn't fit with 90%percent of the storytelling in this drama. This writer wrote Teak as an obstacle to JH/DS from the moment TK told the boys he liked her. That was the story! That was the meat. There was no obstacle or story in TK's one-sided love. DS didnt know nor did she care. She wasn't torn between the two. Teak didn't really even know about JH until like the last 3 episodes. There was no conflict whatsoever.  You can talk about signs all you want, but the love story that involved DS was centered on JH. And it seems like there are big chunks of the story with JH that just are left out there in a storytelling graveyard and it has made this drama feel very incohesive. With the other installments the "other" loveline moments and signs were all woven in and somehow rounded off. With this one not so much, but then again the in the other installments, the "other" loveline wasn't suddenly made into the "main" loveline .

The writer compromised her own story and it's a shame.

DAEBAK!!! I read @packmule3 analysis/theories again and omg! mind blown! U must be the scripwriter? Or Do Min Joon sent u here? Thanks a lot! :)

For those who r still confused u can read it if u want, although u won't agree with it if ur JHxDS shipper but try to be open minded and u will see most of her ideas does really make sense! 

•  

Have these been posted yet?

hyeri_0609: 이제 안녕&hellip; 김정환

Caption:  이제 안녕… 김정환

Translation: Goodbye now... Kim Junghwan

CYyVVseU0AEKZd4?format=pjpg&name=large

(Sorry, I know this was already posted, but here's the)

Caption: 안녕.. 최택

Translation: Goodbye, Choi Taek

hyeri_0609: 쌍문동 5인방도 안녕

Caption: 쌍문동 5인방도 안녕.

Translation: Goodbye to you too, Ssangmundong 5.

Not everyone said that JH is the husband and we try to give our reasoning but some called us delusional, some questions us and many posts has been deleted because some people reported..

The husband clues are consistent from beginning

Spoiler

1. Husband smoking

TK is smoking, JH doesn't smoke..

JH has weak body, his brother is sick and he thinks people who smokes are bad people.. I doubt that JH is going to smoke..

2. The behavior of bickering 

When the future husband and future DS are bickering, they argue but not using high voice.. The husband sometimes tell her some cynical sentence/jokes.. This more towards to TK rather than JH..

JH-DS bickering is always shouting and aggressive but SunTaek bickering is more calm and TK uses skeptical jokes.. "You must be bora noona in previous life", "need a mirror?", "so you're dating well, you haven't been dumped?", "where would that be" etc

In each episode, they developed TK into the future husband and show his behavior become more and more towards the husband.. When some just too busy, asking for kiss or more screen time, TK has become similar towards the future husband..

3. The college concert

the future husband forgot the winner in 1988 and future DS questioned who the husband took/watched the concert with.. Future DS also said clearly she watched in tv.. She didn't mention we watched it in tv, the only guy who didn't watched together is TK..

and one of the most important clue is JH has good memory when comes to music and TK is the one who's bad at this stuff.. 

4. The husband's attire

The future husband wears thin layer and no socks..

TK is the one that rarely uses thick clothes and DS always concerned about it.. On the other hand, JH uses thick clothes and since he has week body, he will wears something warm for protecting his body.. 

5. The interview 

This drama starts because someone interview DS and ask about how he met his husband.. People interviewed someone because he/she famous and who's the famous in OT5? TK is the famous one, JH is an air force pilot while DS is a stewardess.. So TK has the most high possibility to get interviewed

6. The interaction between future husband and future NE

The husband said that he needs 10 years to speak informal to NE.. JH already speak informal to NE and TK is the one who always formal towards him

The only one who needs explanation is the first snow event when she got rejected by SW but remember the future husband read DS diary and SW-TK are so closed also TK observers people especially DS.. He even got to know JH crush to DS.. It doesn't need a genius to figure it out the DS crush..

TK has always been care for DS.. There's no doubt about it..

even though he's busy with his work/baduk life, he always remember when it comes to DS (he has selective memory), he show his care without hesitation, he called her pretty, gave his jacket without DS asked for it, make her smile, he helps her when she needed it, he gave his trophy, he forfeited his match for her.. Their relationship is beautifully subtle and so deep.. DS doesn't need trick to hold his hand, doesn't need to changed her style or wear make up to impressed TK because TK already treat her so preciously.. 

Do u guys want to know why the husband Kim Joo Hyuk (by the way I regularly watch 2D1N) is limping his left foot on episode 18? This could be the reason - he injured his heel and probably still recovering from his injury so probably coincide with the filming? (so that could explain why he is limping). Here's the link about the news:

http://yoopd.tumblr.com/post/124976167753/07202015-news-kim-joo-hyuk-injures-heel

I love JH and I love TK. And even more so, I love how the creators were able to craft such well-thought-out fictional characters. If TK or DS or JH were presented in an artificial and unrealistic light, we would not be having shipping wars right now. The fact that we care so much means that they seem real to us. So please don't bash the writers, creators, and producers--we just saw meticulous detail akin to an art form unravel before our eyes. :cold_sweat:

Just my perspective: JH is so widely loved by the audience because we have seen every step of his quiet turmoil. We are well aware of JH's unconditional love for DS; we have witnessed his moments of elation, of sacrifice, of frustration. I want to affirm JH shippers' frustration, 'cuz no one likes to see their beloved character's story arc end in heartbreak. It's quite sad, I am hoping the writers do him justice in Episode 20.

But I think an important point that some shippers are missing is that, while the audience has been aware of JH's rocky journey with first love, Duk Seon has been kept in the dark this entire time. She didn't know that JH would perch by the windowsill on late nights, or that JB's pink shirt was gifted to JB by MO, or that JH broke out into the widest grin after his suave execution of the umbrella pass (and when these loving moments were revealed during the confession, it was too late--she had fallen for Taek). DS only saw the times where TK was unabashedly caring and receptive to her biggest insecurities. And DS's opinion is what really matters in the husband hunt. Which is why the writer's decision makes sense. 

Hoping for a fulfilling conclusion for every member of OTP5! :blush:

29 minutes ago, minibunny said:

Not everyone said that JH is the husband and we try to give our reasoning but some called us delusional, some questions us and many posts has been deleted because some people reported..

The husband clues are consistent from beginning

Reveal hidden contents

1. Husband smoking

TK is smoking, JH doesn't smoke..

JH has weak body, his brother is sick and he thinks people who smokes are bad people.. I doubt that JH is going to smoke..

2. The behavior of bickering 

When the future husband and future DS are bickering, they argue but not using high voice.. The husband sometimes tell her some cynical sentence/jokes.. This more towards to TK rather than JH..

JH-DS bickering is always shouting and aggressive but SunTaek bickering is more calm and TK uses skeptical jokes.. "You must be bora noona in previous life", "need a mirror?", "so you're dating well, you haven't been dumped?", "where would that be" etc

In each episode, they developed TK into the future husband and show his behavior become more and more towards the husband.. When some just too busy, asking for kiss or more screen time, TK has become similar towards the future husband..

3. The college concert

the future husband forgot the winner in 1988 and future DS questioned who the husband took/watched the concert with.. Future DS also said clearly she watched in tv.. She didn't mention we watched it in tv, the only guy who didn't watched together is TK..

and one of the most important clue is JH has good memory when comes to music and TK is the one who's bad at this stuff.. 

4. The husband's attire

The future husband wears thin layer and no socks..

TK is the one that rarely uses thick clothes and DS always concerned about it.. On the other hand, JH uses thick clothes and since he has week body, he will wears something warm for protecting his body.. 

5. The interview 

This drama starts because someone interview DS and ask about how he met his husband.. People interviewed someone because he/she famous and who's the famous in OT5? TK is the famous one, JH is an air force pilot while DS is a stewardess.. So TK has the most high possibility to get interviewed

6. The interaction between future husband and future NE

The husband said that he needs 10 years to speak informal to NE.. JH already speak informal to NE and TK is the one who always formal towards him

The only one who needs explanation is the first snow event when she got rejected by SW but remember the future husband read DS diary and SW-TK are so closed also TK observers people especially DS.. He even got to know JH crush to DS.. It doesn't need a genius to figure it out the DS crush..

TK has always been care for DS.. There's no doubt about it..

even though he's busy with his work/baduk life, he always remember when it comes to DS (he has selective memory), he show his care without hesitation, he called her pretty, gave his jacket without DS asked for it, make her smile, he helps her when she needed it, he gave his trophy, he forfeited his match for her.. Their relationship is beautifully subtle and so deep.. DS doesn't need trick to hold his hand, doesn't need to changed her style or wear make up to impressed TK because TK already treat her so preciously.. 

that's why i could understand it when people say that the writers rushed things or change the husband/end game due to public pressure etc.

When you watch a drama without setting your mind on a stone on who shall be the husband, you'd connect more dots and point all those to TK. When has JH ever spoken to NL in formal tone? He even kicked NL = no awkwardness at all between them.

I'm terrible at analyzing things but the moment the drama showed us how DS and JH always missed each other presence in split second i knew that they're just not meant to be. 

And maybe that's what the writer wanted to show us through JH storyline. Maybe that's the lesson. No matter how much you want something sometimes it's just not meant to be. 

And I'm sorry for JH-DS shippers. I'm sorry for JH cause he's a good person. But I'm sure he'll find his happiness one way or another.

It's not about signs or clues. It's about storytelling. Signs or clues to fit a future scenario have nothing to do with the story being told. That has to do with a guessing game.

Saying that, we , the audience got to see JH's turmoil while DS did not doesn't negate the fact that that was the big huge love story being told to the viewers of this show. And there is no pay off or climax or anything meaningful that came out of this huge story arc that the writer wrote lol. This isn't real life. You can't just say, well this didn't happen because it didn't lol. Well DS never knew, so oh well. JH was arguably one if not *the* young male lead of the show and most of his specific narrative that we have seen develope has led nowhere with this reveal of TK  as the husband. It hasn't even led to a penultimate heartbreak scenes like Chilbong in 1994.  

I knew I shipped DS with Taek but I never dreamed Taekie would really be the husband until that dream kiss in ep 17.

and what I like about DS/Taek is that because she doesn't see him as a lover at the start, she was always perfectly natural around him, she teased him and laughed at him and never got shy around him like she did with Sun Woo or Jung Hwan. And Taek never tried to hide his feelings until he knew Junghwan liked her too, after that he tried to bury it for their friendship's sake but then Deok-sun developed feelings for him and the kiss happened. And after that she said it was just a dream..... but the minute Taek learns it was real, he actually asks about her feelings and finds out the truth. That's how it works for them.

I think the lesson for Junghwan is that you risk losing your love if you don't speak up. JH and DS liked each other at one point, but by not confessing, he lost out.

The clues has been there the whole time. It's not about how often you bicker, the way future husband talk compare to JH's, the knit gift.

No. It's waaayy deeper than that.

It's how you always there for your loved ones, give your most valuable trophy, ditch your important match to accompany her into concert, give her your jacket. In conclusion, you make a move and do something for your loved ones. Not just sit back and hesitating. 

Love needs to be shown, right?

And i can see love is growing in DS, little by little. It might be implicit but deep in her heart a hook has been placed.

This why i switch my ship in the middle because i see these coming. Frequent little things that give big impact in her heart.

Archived