[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

8 minutes ago, syaiira said:

This point right here:

6. [+327, -30] If the drama is really going with Taek, then the scriptwriter needs to explain why Lee Mi Yeon said to Kim Joo Hyuk at the beginning of the drama "Then shall we talk about all of the girls you dated in college?"

Actually Lee Miyeon didnt even mentioned anything about college as far as I can remember. I dont know where people had this assumption of her mentioning about college. I remember being confused at Dramafever subbing it that way. I have to rewatch it. And fyi, Junghwan didnt go to college either. He enrolled directly to the airforce. So really this argument is kinda invalid. Lol

woops sorry then.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, minyeonhan said:

chill there, haha. unfortunately some people is still hard to accept about today's ending and it's not even a day after this episode aired.

ahhhhhh i see now people finally see my junghwan is indeed manly after this conversation with taek and not a fool who hesitated a lot and teased deoksun too hard. i'm glad.

Oh hi there I'm chill already lol

Ikr? FINALLY.

Alright let's just cover some of these 'misleading' future scene that keeps talked here and there:

1. The husband personality is different from Taek? I think we got it covered alright, there are already lot of post about this. Basically we never got to knew how Taek is before the first husband appearance, hence when he appears we already associate the 'personality' with the closest match, that is JH. Though, throughout the drama, we can see how Taek can also do that to DS, especially some witty remark like "I bet Bora noona is you in her previous life". Clue is consistent.

2. Husband smokes. Husband always use his left hand to drink. These point are the obvious-but-not-so-obvious, but people keep forgetting about it. I think the writer clearly cluing us to see which guy is left-handed (Taek consistently use his left hand to eat/drink throughout the drama, JH doesn't even use left hand), and which one smokes. In the end it's an actual clue and not a red herring. Clue is consistent.

3. DS says husband date a lot of girls 'before their marriage'. I don't know about the actual translation, but IIRC she didn't said about college? So yeah, Taek goes to lot of blind dates, even DR emphasize that he goes to the most blind date out of their group. Clue is consistent.

4. DS ask husband which girl he takes to 1988' College Music Fest. This means the husband is not with her watching the program back in 1988, when practically everyone but Taek watched it together at JH house. Husband only recalls about the 1989 one, where they did go together that year. Clue is consistent.

5. Future husband knows that DS is rejected by Sunwoo on first day of snow. Well, Taek is Sunwoo's brother now, any mention of how Sunwoo first confess to Bora will lead to a story of DS reaction that day. Knowing Taek always observing DS, it won't be hard for him to put one and two together, especially seeing DS sour mood toward Sunwoo the next few days. We might get a flashback about this too on EP20, maybe? Clues need explanation.

And many more. The future scene on EP19 already seals the deal though, with the first kiss of 1989/1994 mentioned. 

----------------------

Basically, there are more clues that is more consistent with Taek and doesn't need explanation anymore. While with JH, there are clues that ouright need explanation (smoking even though he know his hyung will suffer from it? left-handed out of nowhere?), and too much of it. The writer always intend for us to find this clues and deduce the most logical thing out of it, not just the outright appearance like the husband hair or something. ;)

So instead of accusing how the writer mislead us with the clues, let's just rewatch all of them again together shall we? Cause outside the husband hunt, there are so many beautiful script in this drama that move you to tears again even during a rewatch. Enjoy! :lol:

Ok, just finished the raw. So the husband is Taek? Truth be told, while I ship JH, I do think there is a possibility of Taek being the husband simply due to ep 17 when DS gets frustrated over Taek’s cancellation of movie date and when she seems to be feeling something towards Taek’s princess carry and loiter in his room after that, not wanting to go home.

That said, I don’t understand why the drama focused so much on JH’s feeling and his emotional development for more than half of the drama. I mean, the writer literally make us (well, majority of us) fall for him first and swoon over the things he did for DS and then he was written aside to brood for the last few episodes before finally ending his first love. It doesn’t matter if there are clues that have been pointed to Taek as the husband right from the start. As a leisure viewer, I watch for the story and don’t go analyse colors, props or camera angle. So naturally if I fall for JH first (and this is coming from me, the person who started this drama cos of PBG but since he has too few scenes at start and JH was just so adorable that I couldn’t help rooting for JH), wouldn’t I be supporting him as the end game and hope he will be the husband? So naturally, this episode is kind of disappointing to me and I am not surprise why many K netizens feel angry about this. My only consolation is that JH really seems to have gotten over it last week so I’m good with it if he’s happy.

I really doubt there will be a twist in the last episode. Didn’t present day husband already say they kissed in 1989 and DS said they kissed in 1994? I would be quite pissed off if there is a flashback to show JH and DS kissed in 1989. One does not use flashback like this. In fact, I don’t think I want a twist too since it would make DS appeared too easy to change heart so easily. I don’t want JH to be with such a girl.

On a separate note, love the ‘wedding’ of JH parents. So sweet. They have a good ‘daughter’ JH (to quote JB) . Hahaha.

@minyeonhan I agree there are loopholes and the biggest is how he knew the SW-DS thing(where I bet there is flashbacks) but I doubt there are script changes where the writer just decided to f.u.c.k us all. Maybe she refined the script but not totally changed it. It is always TK. The majority it seems wanted JH. Why would she end it with TK? Besides if we disregard DS feelings there are other clues:

Smoking, left handed, he did not know the winner of 1988(?) Music festival because he was not there...and I think others pointed it out. Sorry, I really don't pay attention to the clues.

The pictures of the triangle. Did you not find it weird that JH was always in between DS and TK? Why not DS? After all she is the one they are fighting for. Why not TK? The rival that needs to be defeated? 

There is also the dolls. I got an eye opener when someone shared a picture of DS crying in that snowy day.

The opening of reply opened in Tk's room. They spent their childhood in TK's room. You know how it was with the other reply installment.

There are more Baduk scenes and quotes than JH and DS relationship change.

TK is always mentioned. We know even in episode 1 he is there and where he is even if he was not seen. Chilbong was not even mention in the first episode. Or how we do not even know about Taewoong's (am i correct?) existance in episode 1.

She narrated a flashback on TK's childhood.

Or maybe I could be wrong. Hahahha. I will only know that when they interview the writer and the pd.

4 minutes ago, yumeaki said:

Ok, just finished the raw. So the husband is Taek? Truth be told, while I ship JH, I do think there is a possibility of Taek being the husband simply due to ep 17 when DS gets frustrated over Taek’s cancellation of movie date and when she seems to be feeling something towards Taek’s princess carry and loiter in his room after that, not wanting to go home.

That said, I don’t understand why the drama focused so much on JH’s feeling and his emotional development for more than half of the drama. I mean, the writer literally make us (well, majority of us) fall for him first and swoon over the things he did for DS and then he was written aside to brood for the last few episodes before finally ending his first love. It doesn’t matter if there are clues that have been pointed to Taek as the husband right from the start. As a leisure viewer, I watch for the story and don’t go analyse colors, props or camera angle. So naturally if I fall for JH first (and this is coming from me, the person who started this drama cos of PBG but since he has too few scenes at start and JH was just so adorable that I couldn’t help rooting for JH), wouldn’t I be supporting him as the end game and hope he will be the husband? So naturally, this episode is kind of disappointing to me and I am not surprise why many K netizens feel angry about this. My only consolation is that JH really seems to have gotten over it last week so I’m good with it if he’s happy.

I really doubt there will be a twist in the last episode. Didn’t present day husband already say they kissed in 1989 and DS said they kissed in 1994? I would be quite pissed off if there is a flashback to show JH and DS kissed in 1989. One does not use flashback like this. In fact, I don’t think I want a twist too since it would make DS appeared too easy to change heart so easily. I don’t want JH to be with such a girl.

On a separate note, love the ‘wedding’ of JH parents. So sweet. They have a good ‘daughter’ JH (to quote JB) . Hahaha.

i think in near last of episode 19 in 2016 ds said that its true their first kiss was in 1989 but then she said again that she was in 3rd year of high school and many people think that tk's stone budha so for the sake of his image they said to remove the prev interview and change it to 1994.

2 hours ago, monsterlife said:

Seriously, is Jungpal Dukseon's first love for all of you saying it's a script change? Sure I can understand your reaction but as tk-ds shipper it is unfair.

I mean really, did Dukseon and Jungpal's relationship develop to the point she knows what he likes? Dislikes? Did she even go above and beyond to discover that the pink shirt debacle is a misunderstanding? 

Some of you may still think there is hope in episode 20. But don't you think that would be more unsatisfying? She dated Taek then when they do not work out she goes back to Junghwan because she loves him forever and ever and she did not discover it until Taek and her dated? So what is episode 17? Trolling? Her look in episode 18? Misdirection? Her happiness in episode 19? Momentary bout of insanity?

Why on earth does she care so much about Taek? 

^ i quoted your post because i agree with you on some point.

i also added some of my thoughts about the script. it's not that accurate, but maybe would make some senses.

1. interviews

since the very first, DS interviewed about 'how they've met'. so why reporters are curious about their relationships, unless DS husband or maybe DS herself is a famous person? and we are all know, since 88's Taek was surrounded by reporters.

so it's pretty sure the interview is about 'Baduk-Godness' marriage lifes.

2. chocolate

its obvious because the chocolate thing was written in her diary. dunno if she named the person she gave the chocolate, but pretty sure she wrote she put the chocolate inside the bag; not gave that person chocolate personally. we all know the only person who didn't have bag that time is Taek. so her husband asking who the person she gave the chocolate to. DS lied and said she gave to him. if the chocolate really misplaced at JH bag, he wouldn't say he didn't receive the chocolate and got angry about that. 

3. photo

in episode 9, when they talked about their old photos saying that he (DS husband) must be really like her since then because the guy in photo was smiling (both, Taek and JH are smiling). but, the husband is saying she was pretty. it was a compliment because DS look pretty in that photo. so.. if JH was the husband, he would teased her about her frowning face.

4. personality changed

who said Taek didn't like to tease DS? it's was shown in previous episode (forgot which episode, if someone has the caps it'll be great). actually it's not like Taek personality changed much, they've been friends for decades, it's not strange if their habits / talks are similiar..

and ofc, DS is the major influence to Taek. she was the one who taught Taek's how to curse and banmal, even she taught him the right notes and pronounce.

5. cast's 

even from their announce the line of casts until naskah script-reading, it was shown the picture of DS - TAEK - SW - BR on various sources. it's obvious if DS will ended up with JH, they would put JH's pic beside SW first. 

Spoiler

64724-338692.jpg

201560171431926646.jpg

Answer88_1.jpg

what's that mean? thats the picture of couples who revealed on this episode.

even myself think SW is the 2nd lead or would ended up triangle love with DS and Taek. SW not likely has romance between them.. and he always had eyes on BR. 

=============================================================================

the script hasn't changed from beginning, 

i know, JH is also deserve to get DS. but... from DS point view, their relationship not develope to where DS want to know about him more. she even gave him pink shirt which is not likely JH style. 

11 minutes ago, anishaym said:

i think in near last of episode 19 in 2016 ds said that its true their first kiss was in 1989 but then she said again that she was in 3rd year of high school and many people think that tk's stone budha so for the sake of his image they said to remove the prev interview and change it to 1994.

Yeah. so both basically agreed that 1989 is when the first kiss happened so it's a sealed deal. Taek is the husband. I can't see how they can twist this to change the husband in last episode. Oh well, at least they did not drag till the husband hunt till last episode? 

I think it's pretty clear who the husband is,more than that cant be clear,with the current things happening in episode 19 and with the present couple that talk about their first kiss and when it really happened after the Husband doesn't get it right and not attending school back then so he lost track of years,they talk i think about their kiss in TK room and DS being an highschool Senior..i guess the writer wanted to reveal after all this time to make it game over and show the aftermath in that year with how the family/friends react to their dating news and other stuff,this installment unlike the other 2 was never entirely all about the love line of Deok-sun-ah and who her husband will be...like we saw in the preview there will be more angst about the Mom's accepting Bora/Sunwoo relationship and eventually wedding rather than DS/Taek revealing it,something DS family will be more than happy,they always wanted Taek as their in law...still curious why they aren't accepting Sunwoo...It was clear that Mom was happy if Bora even dating one of the younger kids on the block when they were assuming with NoEul ..She was more than happy if it was Taek but said that it can't be Sunwoo at all...curious what is all about,it's about his profession,something i dont understand thinking now to be frank...Sunwoo Mom is also against them,so i'm curious from were it's coming....Aside from DS&TK stuff this episode was such a emotional one,so many good stuff,like always JungHwan comes and saves the day and makes Mom happy...Loved all the stuff with DR and the buquet of flowers...Also i liked we got to see a bit into Mi Ok story and the famous "scary" father...Still aside from the emotional scenes with our Cheetah and Dad retiring gift by the kids my favorite scene must be when Sunwoo tells Taek he got back with Bora and the reaction of DR and DS,mostly DR...Man,the actor has a way of speaking and acting,that it's brilliant..He needs to play more in dramaland,please give chance to dramaland more aside from Movieland....I want to see him more...While i'm sad that,well Junghwan isin't the husband like i really wanted,because i was invested in his character and rooted for him from the beginning, can't do anything now that the story unfolded like this,i hinted at it from last week episode...I'm sad but got move on,i feel somehow cheated by the writer or by how Kim Jo Hyuk acted the present scenes,as he cleary behaved like JH and not like Taek....But that's that,we can't change it....I'm curious if we'll see the kids of the friends in last episode and i hope we'll see Junghwan also happy,while first love takes a special place in one's heart is for sure not the end of the earth and maybe he meet his soulmate as well after years passing,i really hope the writer will give him also a happy ending and show him married and please,with a girl that stands on her own..i don't want like so many writers do,meeting a girl that resembles DS,i don't want that at all...

Also can i have a JungHwan in my life!!!!I'm totally swayed by him,even if he's not that flashy with his feels or stuff like that,he's totally my type as he's more silent and action ...i so want a guy like that!

I admit this drama is great, and admire people who created this, and I all understand, but there's emptiness in my heart (a little) and I feel like re-watch 1997 to fill it with some hearwarming romance which 1988 lacks for me, because I belong to a ship that has already sunk (it seems like that).
However, I'm not going to blame anyone, since I really experience all the emotions that the drama is meant to bring, and I'm thankful to anyone for these beautiful months spent with Reply series

2 hours ago, kaqueski said:

@blue_angel_1004 I have a favor to ask :) Can you translate the preview for episode 20 please with a cherry on top? :D:blush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r412_vCeXEs

Miran: What is this? Between people who see each other everyday!

Noeul: That's what I'm saying. There really is something strange between the two.

Dongil: What kind of nonsense are you talking about, you rascal!

Ilhwa: You want to see your mom collapse today? Shut that mouth!

Junghwan: Geez, our Sunwoo must have a lot to worry about.

Taek: He'll do well on his own.

Junghwan: Are you confident?

Sunwoo: Mom, please heed to me just this once.

Deoksun:  I have confidence to not change. You don't?

Ilhwa: Absolutely not. 

Deoksun: Hey.

Taek: Are you doing this on purpose to make me mad?

Sunyoung (Sunwoo's mom): You really don't know when it comes to what will happen to people.

Dongryong: Here comes the bride.

Dongryong: Bride, please enter!

3 hours ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

Okay, so many people have been PMing, texting, emailing me about this...  So let me explain a little further why I'm still doubtful. 

First, even before Episode 19 started, I was expecting Episode 19 to go heavily in Taek's favor so that any news after the end of today's episode will predict Taek to be the husband. Why? Because the production needs to one up from the last installment. Perhaps because I had such low expectation for today, i wasn't as taken aback as I otherwise would have. (I admit, I didn't expect it to be to this extent though where everyone would actually claim it to be a sealed deal... )

And second, at the beginning of Episode 19 when DS visits the baduk match, Manager Lee says the game is good as over and Taek will win. (At this, I thought, ooh, Shin PD will really push the envelope this time around... let's see what he does...) And of course, the kiss happened. But in the end, Taek loses the match that day.

So yes, if Shin PD wanted the country to be talking (whether in his favor or not), I think he got exactly what he wanted. 

Whether he will turn it around tomorrow, we'll have to wait and see! 

P.S. I take back what I said in my earlier post that if  I'm right, I want a chance to work with Shin PD. Whether or not I'm right or just a delusional person , I want to have a chance to meet him and work with him! 

Agreed with all of your posts!  Everything about this episode(without subs) leads me to believe its JH.  Keep the faith, baby, keep the faith.

@liteulkwin  post

Omg I went to investigate what @sin921113 was talking about. I will provide the visuals. This is during episode 12 of Reply 1997 when Yoonjae and the boys are eating ramen at his house when this quote comes up:

tumblr_o10f9h978F1sgauc3o2_540.png

And guess what they had just placed the ramen pot on?

tumblr_o10f9h978F1sgauc3o1_540.png

PD-NIM WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?! WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?! @sin921113 you eagle eyes, you.

basically, tk and ds were planned since 2012 

Even if I love all the seasons of "Reply", this one could be the best so far. All the characters were well developed. Maybe less of romance but I think there was enough. More mystery about who is the Husband, pratically until the end. I think it's obvious since ep 17. I'm a bit disappointed because I'm a DSxJH shipper but I love our cute Taek and I think the writer managed to make me less feel bad about this relationship. A clear cut with the scene where JH confess, and quite smoothly with Taek. 

Let's wait until tomorrow to watch the end of this wonderful drama !

(It's only my opinion, and sorry for my poor english!)

About Ryoo Joon Yeol, I hope to see him in others dramas soon ! These eyes and these lips which ask only to kiss. Too many cuteness and sexiness ! ;):P

4 hours ago, melissala said:

@valNK

It's not only one kiss as the reason she fell in love with Taek.  She's always loved the guy.   Wait for tomorrow were it will probably be expanded on.  

Crushes on guys growing up is natural.  Her SW crush was never serious and JH probably could have been had HE not screwed it up.  Honestly sick of reading all the hate towards Taek and DS from people

JH probably could have been had HE not screwed it up.

Best summary.

tumblr_nzph5ffsAr1tmjt2ko1_250.gif

I'm back from work and backtracked the new posts (as well as K-netizens reaction) and it seems like people who feel disappointed/cheated still only look at the situation from Junghwan's POV. There's nothing wrong with that because we all have different favourite characters, but since I'm #TeamDeoksun and Deoksun is my favourite character I'd also like to write about her POV and how I interpreted the drama up until now.

So right from episode 1 we get to know that Deoksun suffers from middle child syndrome and because of that she is extremely sensitive and has low self-confidence. She starts crushing on Sunwoo after her friends tell her that he totally likes her. Her crush on Sunwoo lasts from episode 2 until episode 6, and then she was uncomfortable/annoyed around Sunwoo until episode 10. I think everyone knows why and how Deoksun's crush on Sunwoo ended :lol:

In episode 10, Deoksun is yet again influenced by her friends' suggestion that Junghwan must like her (and this time it's for real). After confirming his feelings by asking him if she should go to the group-blind-date she also starts crushing on him. Her crush on Junghwan lasts from episode 10 to episode 14. In episodes 11, 12, 13 and 14 Deoksun was very obviously trying to get Junghwan come out of his shell and make him confess to her (remember, Deoksun has extremely low self-confidence so she wouldn't dare to confess first). Junghwan however keeps on turning her down/away because he doesn't want to make Taek sad (you noble idiot, you </3). The pink shirt in episode 14 is the last straw and Deoksun's confidence is pretty much below 0 at that point so no one can blame her for not holding onto Junghwan. We as audience were able to see what he did and felt for her but Deoksun couldn't.

After that we have the conversation between Deoksun and Dongryong where she asks him why no one likes her and Dongryong answers: “I’m asking what you like. Not what other people like, but you. YOU. Who do you like?  Without someone else liking you, you could like someone, right?” (translation taken from DB). These two questions by Dongryong are SO important, in my opinion. Deoksun, who has never had the confidence to like someone first because of her low self-confidence, gets told for the first time that the most important thing should be HER feelings and that it's okay for her to like someone without confirming the other side's feelings first.

After episode 14 Deoksun is focused on studying and on her future (and I'm so thankful to the writers for making Deoksun's life not only revolve around love and guys). I think it's safe to say that she was already moving on from Junghwan around that time because in her view it obviously looked like he didn't feel anything for her.

Then comes episode 16 and Deoksun's feelings being swayed by Taek. At first it was just that tiny moment on the soccer field that made Deoksun's heart beat faster and then she was just a little disappointed that Taek cancelled their "date". Then the kiss happened and as episode 19 confirmed today, Deoksun was so overwhemeld by all of these happenings and new feelings that she was the one running away and hesitating this time.

5 years go by and we see that Deoksun, Junghwan and Taek are all trying to move on, even though their old feelings were obviously still lingering somewhere. When Junghwan confesses to Deoksun, I'm 10000% certain that Deoksun knew he really meant it and the way she was looking at him seemed thankful and reminiscent. But after rewatching episode 18 after today's episode, I think, at that time Deoksun had already made up her mind regarding her feelings for Taek.

When she was dumped by her date it was Taek who immediately rushed to her and gave her a jacket to warm her. Remember the scene in episode 10 where she tells Junghwan that a guy should give a girl his jacket when she's cold? I think that moment when Taek gives her his jacket is the moment Deoksun really falls for him (as in, not only crushing on him but really falling in love). Deoksun is a girl who swooned over romance novels and the like, she yearns for that kind of ~dreamy~ love and Taek made that come true in that moment.

I think episode 20 is going to show Deoksun finally gaining the confidence to voice out her own feelings and fight for those feelings, and that's what I'm looking forward to.

TL;DR version: Deoksun was yearning for love and care throughout the whole drama and Taek was the only one who openly and actively (and consistently) gave her that love and care so I'm just really happy that Deoksun finally got what she was always yearning for <3 I'm in no way saying that Junghwan couldn't have given her that love, we all know and saw that he could. And that's the point, Junghwan COULD have been the one giving Deoksun the love she wanted but he hesitated too much and in the end all he could do was blame himself (Junghwan even literally says that it was his own fault in episode 18).

I'm excited to see how the writers are going to wrap everything up in tomorrows episode (which I won't be able to live stream because of work UGH).

Edit: Wow...my post is annoyingly long but I couldn't help myself, I want to back up my girl Deoksun a bit in here.

Archived