[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

17 minutes ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

JH: Did you open my wallet by any chance?

TK: No. I didn't see. 

Joey Wong: Choi Taek, that Baduki, sees… you as as a total pushover. [Note: "Baduki" is the nickname that Joey Wong and Maggie Cheung call Taek. It's a play on the game "baduk", but Baduki is also a common name for dogs with spots, similar to "Spotty"] 

DS: What?

JB: Lil' bro, if you make a wish upon a falling star, it'll all come true!

SW: Noona, did you make a wish?

JH: My wish is...

lol...pushover. I want episode 17 now. :bawling:

Thank you for translating. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

By the way, I looked up the song that was playing in the background for the Episode 17 video preview.

The song is called "이별이란 없는거야" ("There is no farewell").  It is a 1988 song by Choi Sung Won. (Though he has the same name as the actor playing No Eul, it's not the same guy!) 

The part of the lyrics that was used in the background goes like this: 

언젠가 만나겠지 새로운 모습으로
안녕이란 말은 없는거야 이 세상 떠나기 전에

Someday we'll meet, looking anew

There is no goodbye until [we] depart this world

Does that signal some separation?

:( let me cry my eyeballs out after ep 17 :( 

Just now, blue_angel_1004 said:

By the way, I looked up the song that was playing in the background for the Episode 17 video preview.

The song is called "이별이란 없는거야" ("There is no farewell").  It is a 1988 song by Choi Sung Won. (Though he has the same name as the actor playing No Eul, it's not the same guy!) 

The part of the lyrics that was used in the background goes like this: 

언젠가 만나겠지 새로운 모습으로
안녕이란 말은 없는거야 이 세상 떠나기 전에

Someday we'll meet, looking anew

There is no goodbye until [we] depart this world

Thank you @blue_angel_1004 for always kindly providing translations and background information. :)

Seems like the song is foreshadowing the time jump (and consequent separation) that is supposed to happen in ep 18? Edited to add that I agree with blue: the song also implies a reunion, and I have high hopes it will happen sooner than we think. 

Also funny that the preview clip doesn't show any of the parents, lol. The show knows what the audience wants, haha. Such a tease. 

Another interesting thing is JH using formal speech when he says "My wish is..." He doesn't use formal speech with JB, so I'm wondering to whom he is talking. Or maybe, like @namunamuyeppeo suggested, JH will provide the narration for the episode? We shall see. 

I don't have any falling stars, but I'm going to go ahead and make a wish anyway and wish that episode 17 won't be more brooding and inaction. We're almost there to Friday and ep 17, everyone!!! :D

5 minutes ago, balladblue said:

Thank you @blue_angel_1004 for always kindly providing translations and background information. :)

Seems like the song is foreshadowing the time jump (and consequent separation) that is supposed to happen in ep 18? 

Also funny that the preview clip doesn't show any of the parents, lol. The show knows what the audience wants, haha. Such a tease. 

Another interesting thing is JH using formal speech when he says "My wish is..." He doesn't use formal speech with JB, so I'm wondering to whom he is talking. Or maybe, like @namunamuyeppeo suggested, JH will provide the narration for the episode? We shall see. 

I don't have any falling stars, but I'm going to go ahead and make a wish anyway and wish that episode 17 won't be more brooding and inaction. We're almost there to Friday and ep 17, everyone!!! :D

Actually, I took it that he was using the formal speech as he was making the wish. You know how when people pray, they pray using formal speech. (At least, I do.) And when making a wish upon a falling star, I would think people would use formal speech too since you're speaking to a being beyond you... the star! 

I think the scene in the preview is that of JH actually making the wish, not of him telling anyone in particular what his wishes are...

^Time Jump!!! To see Trash in ep 18! JH and SW will go off to college, while DS and DR do jaesoo (study for entrance exams to enter college next year) and play with Taek in the neighborhood. Move, plot, mooooooove.

Just now, blue_angel_1004 said:

Actually, I took it that he was using the formal speech as he was making the wish. You know how when people pray, they pray using formal speech. (At least, I do.) And when making a wish upon a falling star, I would think people would use formal speech too since you're speaking to a being beyond you... the star! 

I think the scene in the preview is that of JH actually making the wish, not of him telling anyone in particular what his wishes are...

Ah that's a good point!! 

Why do I feel that Sung family will move out? I mean, they have no reason to stay in basement rent house with all the debt paid already.

Just looking at how Lee Mi Yeon become her adult version, I wish Deokseon will do some cast and become an actor. Everyone tells she is pretty, right?

I've ever seen a comment in dramabeans telling that maybe Joey Wong will open her mind about her liking Taek

Man Ok to Deokseon about Sunwoo: He likes you

Man Ok to Deokseon about Junghwan: He likes you

Joey Wong to Deokseon about Taek: You like him

I am Junghwan-Deokseon shipper, what the writer-nim wants is not make it too obvious. Looking at the Park Bo Gum behind the scene, they already showed his smoke and curse scene. Just so curious how they will make his drunken scene.

yeeeeey @blue_angel_1004 is back <3

thank you for the trans and bits about the song!

SO HYPEDDDD FOR THISSSSSSS hahaha it's so funny how we get a Junghwan x Taek confrontation about the wallet..
but no news about the confrontation of their feelings with Deoksun.. <goat sound>

hang in there guys.. it's Tuesday.. and it's almost friday!

-------

also, i spoke with a reply 1988 subber from DF, they won't release any drama specials yet--no go signal for it yet, but maybe after the episodes they'll have it but still not 100% sure :) so for the reply 1988 'behind' they are not yet sure if they'll sub or if they are even gonna do it.
sorry for this bit of info for those who are waiting for today's sub release! ><

4 hours ago, pi2tni4ng said:

@blue_angel_1004 :

Blue, I'm really curious on your take about all these shipping things. In your opinion, is it junghwan or taek that will end up with deoksun ? 

I vividly remember you and your comments on the old reply 1994 main thread. Reading your long and very articulate post back then backed up with evidents and korean insight into the drama I can't deny that trash is the husband but i was ignoring it because truth hurt (so much) hahaha.

And since so much of us 'international fans' was feeling that chilbong would be the husband, I gain such confidence that chilbong being the husband is a sure thing. So my heart was really broken knowing trash was the choosen one. Until now, I'm still not ready to rewatch the 1994 one again because it remind me of my heartache.

Now, seeing fanvid of all the kissing scene, I can't stop wonder how can I be so blind that najung only have eyes for oppa. 

So this time I need to be ready, if it is not the one that I want to be the husband. 

Hello, @pi2tni4ng!!

Ah, the good old days of AM1994~~

So, who are you rooting for this time? Taek or JH?

I'm not really invested in the husband hunt this time around. I'm in love with both husband candidates, JH and Taek. And it honestly pains me that one of them will have to "lose." Everytime I think of it, I legitimately feel a pang in my heart. (Darn you, Lee Woo Jung!)

Both shippers try to assert why JH or Taek is such a great (or better) character. And as I read the entries, I wonder, "What's the point? They're both great, layered, rich characters who are more than meet the eye." Personally, I'm still not sure which man I love more. I keep going back and forth myself. When I see JH's sad, longing eyes for DS, I just want to hold him tight. And when I see Taek, to whom DS is his comfort and solace, I just want to take him home for myself.

That said, by episode 2, I thought it was obvious that it would be Taek and JH who would eventually round up the love triangle with DS. And if you must know my opinion, I'm certain the husband...

Spoiler

... is JH. I would be very, very, very surprised if it turned out to not be the case.

I know I practically wrote a novel last time on why Trash was the husband. But please understand I have no intention of doing that this time. I learned my lesson that whatever I say and write, people who believe I'm right will just be more reassured. And those who don't believe me will just dismiss me as a blind, biased shipper. So what's the point, right? The husband will be revealed when it is time for him to be revealed anyway, which will of course be in the first 10 minutes of the last episode. Errrg.

Until then, let's just enjoy the ride!

1 hour ago, blue_angel_1004 said:
  Hide contents

... is JH. I would be very, very, very surprised if it turned out to not be the case.

I think so too. A lot of episodes of angst & brooding.  

As someone who root for the other guy, I feel like I am waiting for the train wreck to happen. Every episode is like readying myself for the sinking. I resigned myself for the inevitable but whenever I see a glimmer of hope, I hold on to it. But it is a fun, enjoyable ride...I can't believe it's almost goodbye. 

2 hours ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

Hello, @pi2tni4ng!!

Ah, the good old days of AM1994~~

So, who are you rooting for this time? Taek or JH?

Reveal hidden contents

I know I practically wrote a novel last time on why Trash was the husband. But please understand I have no intention of doing that this time.

The husband will be revealed when it is time for him to be revealed anyway, which will of course be in the first 10 minutes of the last episode. Errrg.

Until then, let's just enjoy the ride!

Junghwan had me at that scene where he smile seeing deoksun on TV ^^;.
It's not that I don't like taek, but junghwan stole my heart first :wub:.
But I'm being cautious so I read all the 3 thread here and I think the writer are being better at fleshing out both the husband contender's characters. It's 50:50 for me specially after watching the last 4 episodes. My doubt on junghwan being the husband is getiing bigger and bigger, that's why I'm asking you :sweatingbullets:

But after seeing the preview of ep.17 I'm back to believing that junghwan is the husband for the simple reason that there is no way that the writer making him being miserables for that many episodes without him having his happy ending.
They invest too much on his character, his emotions, his internal conflicts since the first episode and we see everything from his point of view right to the last preview. How can he not be the main lead ?

I also think that the husband will be revealed at the last episode.

I need your novel girl..It's nice seeing your perspective and I agree with @eylrx it would be great having it after the hubby is revealed to avoid unnecessary ship war :D

Episode 17 preview

I am confused with Taek's answer... Or is it just because of the translation?
Jung Hwan's question was answerable by yes or no. But Taek's answer was he did not see it. (See what?)
If I were Jung Hwan, I would think and believe that Taek really did see the picture because he was already denying that he saw something.

Episode 17 cannot come soon enough but I don't want this drama to end. How do I say good-bye to my Bong hyung (cue 'how do I live without you' by Leanne Rimes) :tears::tears: How do I say goodbye to the squad and the awesome mom trio and the diverse dads. What will I do with my Fridays and Saturday (brain: get back to your real life and stop zombie living)!!! What will I do without my Kim family interactions. The Kim brothers? Seriously, what will I do without my Bong....how do I say good-bye to what we had....it's so haaaard to say good-bye...

24 minutes ago, thekdramafeels said:

Episode 17 preview

I am confused with Taek's answer... Or is it just because of the translation?
Jung Hwan's question was answerable by yes or no. But Taek's answer was he did not see it. (See what?)
If I were Jung Hwan, I would think and believe that Taek really did see the picture because he was already denying that he saw something.

I think JH said "Did you open my wallet & saw what's inside?" and TK answered with "no, I didn't see it" but there's possibility that could be random cut from any conversations :D

@sartikam I rewatched EP7 as well...and I found that what it illustrated was exactly what DS narrated at the end... 

They have reached an age where secret santa no longer interested them. She was JH's secret santa, but she had zero interest in being nice to him that week, or get him anything at all.
She didn't even seem to have thanked him for the gift. Poor guy...

SMFJA0.jpg

All she cared about was confirming that Taek is HER secret santa, and she is so over the moon with that. When she got the gloves in the morning, she was soooo excited, and all she did was ask No eul if Taek brought it over, and IF HE WAS STILL THERE. She couldn't wait to see him again, despite only just seeing him a few hours ago last night when he promised to get her gloves... 

That's my take on that scene... Sorry if I upset anyone with this... but try watching it again and take note of how she seemed to look puzzled at her reflection later when she posed with the gloves - while it could mean that she wondered why JH gave it to her ( she was not that shy to not ask him directly though ) it could also be her wondering why she didn't feel that thrill when its not gloves from Taek? Just wondering here... 

Is there any Girls Day fan here? Need to ask whether Hyeri is born to be that skinny.

I find myself miserable looking at how much food I ate for the last christmas and new year celebration.

However, I noticed she ate much in some scenes, even on V app broadcast she had ramyun for dinner and ate very very casually. Some fans even told that they found her face losing some weight. JUST. HOW. :tears: 

1 hour ago, st4rdust said:

@sartikam I rewatched EP7 as well...and I found that what it illustrated was exactly what DS narrated at the end... 

They have reached an age where secret santa no longer interested them. She was JH's secret santa, but she had zero interest in being nice to him that week, or get him anything at all.
She didn't even seem to have thanked him for the gift. Poor guy...

SMFJA0.jpg

All she cared about was confirming that Taek is HER secret santa, and she is so over the moon with that. When she got the gloves in the morning, she was soooo excited, and all she did was ask No eul if Taek brought it over, and IF HE WAS STILL THERE. She couldn't wait to see him again, despite only just seeing him a few hours ago last night when he promised to get her gloves... 

That's my take on that scene... Sorry if I upset anyone with this... but try watching it again and take note of how she seemed to look puzzled at her reflection later when she posed with the gloves - while it could mean that she wondered why JH gave it to her ( she was not that shy to not ask him directly though ) it could also be her wondering why she didn't feel that thrill when its not gloves from Taek? Just wondering here... 

Idk, in my opinion, at that point DS only saw both guys as friends. She knew her secret santa is one of the two guys. She wanted TK to be her secret santa simply because TK is a nicer guy (on the outside, of course). When she got the gloves, she thought it was from TK, obviously because she asked for that very thing the night before. She was puzzled when she knew the gloves were from JH because he had no reason to give her a gift. She was excited about the possibilities though (she basically admitted it in the narration). So yeah. That's just my opinion, of course.

@thekdramafeels

Somehow I think the PD is still trolling us. It may not be the same scene but just spliced together? 

If Taek does deny seeing the photo, will JH step forward? I can only see a confession at the very last minute before they go their seperate ways and the OTP (whether it is DS/JH or DS/Taek will take the time to sort out their relationship)

My prediction of the husband at the end is 

Spoiler

JH. 

I am truly conflicted as I love both JH and Taek and will also be heartbroken if the choice is made.

Archived