[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Guest wizengamot
28 minutes ago, monsterlife said:

@wizengamot the 2nd poster is posted a long time ago. There is someone who even said that while everyone thought it is between pbg and gkp, it is someone else that is the leading man. Then it turns into a guessing game between rjy and gkp. 

So yeah, it is like a fond memory. :D Sorry, I went back to reread page one to pass by the boredom of waiting for the next episode and it was fun to read how the husband guessing game evolved. 

yes, it's from long time ago coz i found it on the first batch of Reply 1988 official twitter posts. I'm just wondering  what's with the two posters? and why the second one being with the Sung and Kim family only?

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I hate about Reply 1988:

1. There are scenes that I feel they need to cut. I hate watching for almost 2 hours with just one episode.To be honest, I follow the show by just reading the live recap, dramabeans and youtube clips. Sometimes I watch when it is subbed but I tend to fast forward things. 

2. JH character arc. I think he patented the staring and the broody. Seriously aren't you feeling that the awesome JH is being put into a corner? Where is the tsundere? The kind and thoughtful son? The caring brother and friend. It in there but trap with all that staring and angst. It's probably because it is only episode 16 that I watched fully and in there JH is just brooding and silent. 

3. Okay. TK is a friend. You can't have DS because of TK. But writer why are you almost making JH stop being a friend to DS? When she was crying why did he not go and console her...as a good friend should. 

4. DS have a brain. She could also decide things for herself. So really those two idiots who like her do not deserve her. They deserve each other. 

5. There are too many hospital scenes. Seriously too many.

6. Does TK have a drug problem? Boy has a lot of pills.

7. Need more Bora and DS scenes. I am close with my sisters so I cannot relate to their sibling rivalry. 

8. First time I am lukewarm to the girl's family. 

2 minutes ago, wizengamot said:

I'm just wondering  what's with the two posters? and why the second one being with the Sung and Kim family only?

Probably because they are the most complete and the first ones to get announced and they are the biggest names for parents. 

Or...

JH is the husband and that is their family tree. 

Well...I come to a point that whatever is the outcome Taek is still the husband :lol:.

@hushhh I see what you mean and I do agree with what you are describing. But for me it is those exact things that make DS and Taek's relationship a strong yet platonic one. For instance, I don't think DS letting herself be seen crying in front of him actually shows romantic love. When one starts liking someone, I think the last thing you want to do is cry in front of them. I think she is so confortable around him that she lets herself cry in front of her. But first loves are everything but confortable! Also, for teh losing thing; yesterday I would have totally agreed. BUt I finished watching episode 13 today and when SW calls Taek after his father freaks out, SW ends his call by telling Taek that it is okay if he loses. I thought that by having SW say that exact same thing Taek asked DS, an echo was created. Hence me further thinking that, at least for DS, she seems to be oblivious to Taek's romantic love. Again, for me it is not a question of not loving each other, but it is that the love Taek is showing cannot be interpretated by DS as romantic love. Your image of the different languages is nice, but it put the fault on DS and I don't think it is her fault. I don't think she is looking for French and not understanding ASL. I think it is more that his expressions of love cannot be read as such without a dictionary... and in opposition with what the others do. DS and SW said the same thing to Taek - and frankly, at the time, I did not see the difference. There is one for Taek certainly, but not for DS and that's my main issue. How can she read his love expressions as love when the others do the same?...

And that brings me to what @MrsSoJiSub - how do we differentiate platonic love in frienships and love in romantic relationships? For me, that distinction is missing for DS and Taek... We know that they all love each other, but how does one go from friendship to love relationships?...

I am rooting for Taek big time, but not for Taek and DS. I think it is definitely love, and a strong one at that, but not romantic love.

So I was watching episode 13 and man, I cried a few times! Loved the focus on dads! Loved Taek's dad!!!! The fact that he is called a bear all the time and then he totally freaked out when he heard about the plane. It was very touching. I also loved SW and Mr. Choi... I could see how he was starting to see him differently and slowly accepting him. Those scenes with JJ were so cute: she likes him so much too, it is really touching. Despite the fact that I complain that the love line is not progressing, I was so in love with the other stories... truly amazing show! It's up there with Misaeng for me :)

PS: I use the term "romantic love" to differentiate it with love but it's reductive too...

@Vannyah M Ah I just saw you also mentioned sthg about being confortable: yes, I don't think you are confortable around the person you like. No matter how close you are, when the relation changes, you become awkward around them. DS is not awkward around Taek at all, so I don't think she is getting that he likes her nor does she feel the same way... Again, she cried in front of him after seeing the Burberry man but asked him not to tell the other boys, that is DR and more importantly JH.

PPS: I hope I am not offending anyone!! It is nice to be talking about those things with the other shippers :) I am French and we love debating! Ha ha ha

Gosh I am so happy R1988 is getting such high ratings!!

@minibunny Oh I like your post! I see what you see in DS and Taek and I like all the moments you mention... Again, my question is always the same - does DS is realizing the change or not?... Taek is doing the same things she has done for him. What makes it romantic love over just love? I wish we could see more. Whether it is JH/DS and Taek/DS scenes, there are always things that are missing. We don't get to see the preparations (DS buying JH's pink shirt) or reactions (Taek smoking outside the bathroom). I am hoping that we'll get a grand flashback with all those missing scenes once the husband is revealed!!!

33 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

how do we differentiate platonic love in frienships and love in romantic relationships? For me, that distinction is missing for DS and Taek... We know that they all love each other, but how does one go from friendship to love relationships?...

That is also being shown in how Taek's Dad and Sunwoo's Mom's relationship evolves, isn't it? That it is possible that shared experience and burden and mutual respect grows into gentle love for each other's companionship...

6 minutes ago, allegramente said:

That is also being shown in how Taek's Dad and Sunwoo's Mom's relationship evolves, isn't it? That it is possible that shared experience and burden and mutual respect grows into gentle love for each other's companionship...

Yes, I think we can all agree on that. I love that aspect of SW's mom and Taek's father. But companionship is where my pb is: do you look for companionship when you are 18?...

38 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

Yes, I think we can all agree on that. I love that aspect of SW's mom and Taek's father. But companionship is where my pb is: do you look for companionship when you are 18?...

Not at 18. Hence, my point. At 18, should she start thinking about romantic love and platonic love? When it has been shown that, given time and circumstances, the line between these distinctions can be blurred and erased.

And obviously, at 18, she did not choose to pursue romantic line, yet, as real life took over.

51 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

I think it depends ..and can also change thinking from various perspective.For me I know I was more about platonic relationships in that period of life lol,considering I read tons of jane austen,so at that time the subtle and simple parts of relationships attracted me more...So like some of her heroine said 'You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you'..this..mattered more than 'anything by the book'.So the push and pulls in relationships though might be hard on the ones involved in the relationship,but from the viewers perspective they made the read more worthwhile...And same can go for when you 'are' in that relationship.And I don't think age has anything to do with relationship.One can be eighteen and still be the mature sorts of all.All it depends on is the experience he/she had or the environment that he/she has been brought up in.

To me... DS's feelings are definitely changing... When she dressed up to impress JH, she was doing it because she really really wanted him to like her. Once her efforts seemed to have failed, do you realise there was not even a scene that showed that she was crying bitterly over him compared to back when she realised SW liked Bora instead? Its more like resigned to her fate when DR found her sitting alone on the steps...( Waiting for who to pass by at that time of night? hahaha okok pls don't hit me ) 

If it was in the past, and Taek laid his head on her shoulder, and she was still treating him like a baby brother, she would have patted his head and said something babyish and soothing... instead she stood that a bit shocked and I dunno about you, but that fast-blinking and not daring to move away to me speaks volumes... and if DR was the one to lay his head on her shoulder, she probably would have shoved him off ;} Don't say she only treats him like a treasure, becos we saw in a previous ep when she lost her patience when he was too clingy and really beat him up without mercy too...

Also, when Taek told her about having someone he liked, her reaction was also different from how she reacted with No Eul ( in Ep 8 )when she heard he had a gf. Basically she pumped No Eul for information. Do you think DS who has always nagged at Taek to be more mindful of strangers and not to be so trusting, will just stay so quiet without a huge reaction if she didn't feel something else? I personally had the unfortunate experience of learning that the guy I was crushing on, and finding out that the person he liked was my friend, and I literally felt all feeling drain out from my feet. ( hahahaha its funny to recall that now, but that was how it had felt )... So... to me, DS's expression spoke volumes... 

Then there is Ep16. So many people have talked about it, so I won't repeat anymore. 

Of course, all these are just my personal interpretation of the scenes. I guess we just need Ep17 to be dedicated to DS, to fully explore what she is feeling. :) aaaaaah Jan 8th can't come fast enough....

On 12/29/2015 at 8:51 PM, ihate0ni0ns said:

@shooastrid Hi, thank you so much for all the information regarding baduk and since you've offered to teach us a thing or two about baduk, I just can't let that opportunity pass, can I?;)

So on epi 12, I can't help but noticing the game TK lost.

TK played with black stone.

His opponent played with white stone.

And then this happened.

TK played with white stone?

From what I remember, player usually takes stone from the stone bowl to play and takes opponent stones (that he "ate"? I'm sorry I don't know the correct term for this ^^;) from the board and put them on the lid. But TK did otherwise, is that why he lost? Or is this some kind of baduk moves to let your opponent know that you've given up?

Thank you so much in advance :). And please enlightened this pour soul that only knows Baduk from manga (yes, I've read Hikaru No Go, but it was very long time ago though...:sweatingbullets:)

Hi @ihate0ni0ns Yes, you are right with your observation. The white stone Taek placed at the end of the game is one of the captured stones he collected throughout the game. So basically, when a stone loose all liberties then it is eaten/ captured. The stone (s) then are placed at the lid of the bowl. Placing captured stone back on board is a way to resign. Another way is to say deliberately, "I resign," or "I have nothing," or the likes. You can see similar scene on Episode 15. Taek's opponent placed a captured stone on the board and then resigned. Ah, so you read HnG too? Woohoooo... So much love <3 Do you play too?

Don't quote pictures, gifs, videos

On 12/28/2015 at 4:29 PM, lelee said:

Hahaha.......................... I already started to read that manga because of your post.... ㅎㅅㅎ Go seems interesting.... Thanks for the tip haha, I'm now officially one of TK's minions.. 두찌바찌~뿌찌

Hahaha I am glad.. welcome to the dark side @lelee I hope you enjoy it. It's going to be a looooong wait, so let's distract ourselves! Edit: I tagged wrong person, lol..

2 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I think DS is at a point where things are not really moving for her. Her sister heads of to study law, she doesn't even know what to do about college and her best friend is already in a relationship and goes on dates (with DS being their mailman). And keeping in mind that all she knows about love is from her novels, i think she's waiting for a dramatic love, first confession, a first kiss etc not companionship.

And she is way too innocent to catch subtle hints. Remember in R1997 SW didn't understand even when YJ kissed her.

1 hour ago, st4rdust said:

Of course, all these are just my personal interpretation of the scenes. I guess we just need Ep17 to be dedicated to DS, to fully explore what she is feeling. :) aaaaaah Jan 8th can't come fast enough....

YES!

And I see what you mean and I think I can see a change.

But I don't think she is over JH either. For instance, in episode 16, when the three boys meet DS in the stairs, when they ask about TK and the movie date, she explains that he had sthg to do, when she is leaving, she mutters that not hing is going her way these days. She says it after looking at JH, lingering a bit so that he hears it. I think the reasonwhy she has not cried is that she does not view that thing as being over. She is mad, not indifferent, giving him the cold shoulder, but I don't think she has put it to rest either.

I think once again we can all agree that we are missing an important thing here: DS and her sentiments! We can argue either way based on the boys actions and what seems to be her actions... but the truth is we don't know what she truly feels. I think that's what we are all waiting for: a little bit of insight in that!

31 minutes ago, toera said:

I think DS is at a point where things are not really moving for her. Her sister heads of to study law, she doesn't even know what to do about college and her best friend is already in a relationship and goes on dates (with DS being their mailman). And keeping in mind that all she knows about love is from her novels, i think she's waiting for a dramatic love, first confession, a first kiss etc not companionship.

And she is way too innocent to catch subtle hints. Remember in R1997 SW didn't understand even when YJ kissed her.

So true!! I will say this once Deok Sun is not complicated not at all and she exactly  seeks what she read from novels it's romance and it's suits her age and upbringings that's why I don't think she can or even tries to understand the depth of both Taek's and Junghwan's love. I think Junghwan offers more than just romance if only she can see that kindness of him I will be convinced that they will be okay in their happy future. But what we have in our pockets? Time jump. I believe Deok will set aside her expectations and she will seek true love for her. So I can see Taek's chance there on. But now...well it's so subtle and being subtle is not Deok Sun's thing I have known there is no chance in present but I can clearly see possibility ^^

Archived