[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I guess it's because all this time I've seen her do great things for other people and she thinks outside the box as the story progresses, that I had expected her to go an even extra mile for the guy that is special to her. Little things like y'know specifically picking a present out for the guy you like. I mean if you were to receive a present, would you like to get something that your boyfriend or his friend picked out? And yes, I agree since it involves her personal feelings, she's been very careful around him. She takes her present to him seriously, yes. She's new to all of this, but it's not like Jung Hwan is a boy she didn't know before. She knows what he likes and dislikes. She knew him better than what her best girlfriends would know about Jung Hwan. See what happened when she listened to them about Sun Woo. She got her heart broken, and this happened again when she bought what her friend picked out for him. Because it was what Mi Ok wanted to give to the person she likes, she got Jung Bong the same present. Despite Duk Seon's warning not to get the same thing, she still got it for Jung Bong. Because Mi Ok liked that shirt. This misunderstanding wouldn't have happened if she did pick out what Jung Hwan would have liked in the first place. The more she walks on eggshells around Jung Hwan, the more things get worse for the both of them. And that's what's breaking my heart every time. They're so careful around each other that one false move, everything that was built up around them would shatter into pieces. And this is why this birthday present was a big deal for me - it broke them apart. That's why I wanted to find the root of this.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that Deok Sun may like Junghwan too even though I ship Taek and Deok Sun. I mean the story’s there, the plot is right in front of you. We can’t deny certain actions from certain characters. I’m sorry, if you can’t see something more than friendship between Taek and Deok Sun. You’re missing a whole lot of the story. Before anyone asks me or tries to go against me, yes I see the scenes between Junghwan and Deok Sun. That scene on the bus in episode 15 may have hinted at Deok Sun’s feelings for Junghwan, but a lot of scenes pointed to Deok Sun maybe liking Taek in episode 16. 
1. Trying to hide her burp in front of Taek.
Remember when Dong Ryong said that when a girl likes a guy, she would try to look her best in front of him?
2. Waiting anxiously for the phone call from Taek. She obviously wanted to go on the “date” with Taek.
3. Getting angry/sad when Taek cancelled the movie. She was obviously gloomy the entire day…

I’m sorry if I made anyone mad, but I don’t care. What’s there is what’s there and if Taek doesn’t end up being the husband, I can accept it. I’m not 100% sure that Taek is the husband, unlike some Junghwan and Deok Sun shippers and Taek and Deok Sun shippers. I hope everyone watching Reply 1988 stays open-minded to the possibilities and please don’t ignore or deny any scenes that may not be of interest to you.

Is there really going to be a time jump? Will it only happen towards Ep 19 and 20?

I miss the neighbourhood ajummas, ajusshis and the 5 friends and their siblings. 

It is realistic that as time passes, things change. Relationships change. It can't be frozen for eternity. DS will have to grow and so do the rest of the guys. Whether they are used to each other or that they have not mixed much with people outside of the neighbourhood, it is time for them to explore. 

DS has to find out what she wants to do. 

JH has to fulfill his dream.

Taek has to discover if he can cope with his friends going off on their own adventures and he will probably remain in the neighbourhood.

DR needs to find his path in life.

SW has to concentrate on his future and maybe time away without Bora noona may help. 

We do not know what is going to happen. Only the writer and PD does. We might be frustrated at the pacing of the lovelines more than finding out who the darn husband is but let's enjoy the rest of the episodes and watch as the characters, all the characters , share their home and love lives with the viewers.

PS. I miss cutie JinJoo too..... hope to see more of her in the next few episodes before she has to grow up. 

Wonder when Duksun picked Bday gift for Papa Kim makes it less meaningful present from the boys to Papa, we don't even know Papa Kim likes it or not. 

Come On, 18years old teenagers (boys or girls) ask suggestion from friends in picking gift. That simplest thing. No one said DS-JH fixated on pink color, it's just a way for writer telling us, THOUGH it's not his fave color, no plan on wear it, still he likes it, treasure it and can never share that gift to anyone.

@13infamyss quoted this part of your post  "Despite Duk Seon's warning not to get the same thing, she still got it for Jung Bong. Because Mi Ok liked that shirt." 

No Duksun did not warn her, what is Miok actually said is "don't tell sooyeon, she might make fun of me if she knows I copied her"

1 hour ago, melissala said:

I don't see the big deal about her friend picking it, or helping her pick it.  It's what girls do.  It's what I've done before for a guy, for my sister, for my mother....  Does that mean it's not a gift given from her heart?  Not at all.  You could consider the reason behind her asking for help.  One, she wants a second opinion.  It's well established she's insecure and doesn't have much confidence.  She knows nothing about guys.  She probably wanted to impress him more than anything.  IT doesn't matter that she doesn't have to, but she did.  She took the her first allowance is probably YEARS to buy this.  She got him something trendy instead of something he might enjoy more of course, but I don't think it matters what she bought.  The fact that she spent money and bought him something is all that matters.  Maybe JH's gift was "better" and more what she liked, but she also said what she wanted. She didn't really have that luxury.  She's also a girl and maybe she wants to see her man in some bright colors.  Who knows. 

People twist this shirt issue into something negative, that she didn't pick the gift and it wasn't personal, but on the contrary I think it was really personal.  DS relies on her friends a lot and their advice is important to her.  Her friend also told JB not to tell DS that she copied the shirt idea, so she obviously did not view the shirt as something she solely picked, but DS' gift to JH.  DS is someone who has helped JB and JH pick gifts (his mother knew she picked dad's gift out), so she's obviously not incapable of picking presents for people around her.  

I agree with you that it was not a big deal who chose/bought the pink shirt.

There's someone want to buy gift for their lover personally (Like BR bought the blue shirt for SW and MO bought the pink one for JB). But there's someone not confident on their choice since they want to give their lover the best thing (like Kim brothers cant pick a gift for their dad and Taek needs DS advice to buy the pink gloves for his dad). There's also someone so shy to face with the one they love so they need a middle man to help them send the gift (like BR gave a white shirt to her dad).

People have different colors and relationships have different shades. Like a doctor can cures every patient but useless in front of his relatives. Same here with DS to JH (especially she's still not clear and hasn't confirmed her feeling yet) The twist here is just pink-shirt misunderstanding brings DS back to her own self and consider her relationship with JH seriously :)

I'm sorry I can't help but to join discussion about this birthday gift.

For me there are 3 type of person regarding gift giving.

1. They just suck at picking gifts. Yes, I'm talking to you Trash Oppa. And this is actually what my Dad always do too (sorry, Dad). He put so much thought into it before buying it and thought the person who receive it would love his gifts but turns out not.

2. They pick what the receiver likes. I tend to do this since I just like to see the joy of the person I give my present to.

3. They pick what they like. And this is what my Mom mostly do. She loves purple so she has tendency to give other people things in that color. And yes my Dad has purple shirt in case you're wondering :P

So IMHO, when I see DS, the girl who keeps yielding for almost everything, "forcing" this pink (which is her favorite color I suppose) shirt to JH, I just thought it means something special. Because she like him to wear what she likes. It's kind of claiming statement I guess. Giving him some of her color :) 

And I'm sorry if offend anyone. After all this is a matter of taste and opinions and we all certainly could agree to disagree ^^

Hey guys, can anyone inform me of what breaks are taking place soon where we will miss an episode or two. I remember reading it on DB it will happen around the new year but I don't know what week or what episodes it will be. I backtracked a page or two but most of it is just in depth discussion and couldn't find my answer!

If this was any other drama I would be on the ceiling with how the romance is being dished out. Main couple in 94 got their kiss (a wonderful kiss) by episode 13 and here we are episode 15 in 88 and none of the characters would seem to move even if you started throwing rocks at them. The other aspects of the drama are wonderful to watch though. Bora leaving home pulled at my heartstrings so badly and Taek Appa & Sun Woo Omma story line is developing so lovely.

in recent episodes (15 & 16), people around Taek said about how Taek's personality are. from the baduk coach, Junghwan, Dongryong nyong. but Taek showed the opposite. is that hint ? i'm in #teamjunghwanlowexpectation :D just worried about Taek too, anyway. he took a lot of medicine again. 

26 minutes ago, Rori said:

Hey guys, can anyone inform me of what breaks are taking place soon where we will miss an episode or two. I remember reading it on DB it will happen around the new year but I don't know what week or what episodes it will be. I backtracked a page or two but most of it is just in depth discussion and couldn't find my answer!

If this was any other drama I would be on the ceiling with how the romance is being dished out. Main couple in 94 got their kiss (a wonderful kiss) by episode 13 and here we are episode 15 in 88 and none of the characters would seem to move even if you started throwing rocks at them. The other aspects of the drama are wonderful to watch though. Bora leaving home pulled at my heartstrings so badly and Taek Appa & Sun Woo Omma story line is developing so lovely.

Episode 17 and 18 will air on Jan 8 and 9 and for this week, TvN will re-run episodes and air <Reply Behind> on January 2. :D
For more info, pls check: http://eyesonryu.tumblr.com/post/135894804870/news-reply-1988-will-release-bts-ngs

41 minutes ago, Rori said:

It's this week's! Episodes 17-18 will be aired next week, 8-9th January 2016. :)

Also, I agree wholeheartedly @ your second paragraph. Though I'm usually up in arms and ready to riot after reading live recaps/watching the episode and hearing about the standstill that is our love triangle, I relent and smile after watching the episodes with subs or reading people's insights/analyses about the drama's other aspects (like Bora's arc about the pains of being the prickly eldest daughter, which really resonates with me hahaha).

5 minutes ago, khrnafthmh said:

It's this week's! Episodes 17-18 will be aired next week, 8-9th January 2016. :)

Also, I agree wholeheartedly @ your second paragraph. Though I'm usually up in arms and ready to riot after reading live recaps/watching the episode and hearing about the standstill that is our love triangle, I relent and smile after watching the episodes with subs or reading people's insights/analyses about the drama's other aspects (like Bora's arc about the pains of being the prickly eldest daughter, which really resonates with me hahaha).

As another prickly eldest daughter in a family of three children who also has difficulty expressing any type of affection ever, Bora is not my favourite character, not even second, but I have this connection with her that isn't possible with any other character. 

edit! Thank you for the swift info! Ok, I am good at waiting. I gave myself four episodes of 88 to watch for Christmas as a present. I can play the waiting game.

@MrsSoJiSub.  I wasn't expecting explanation because it was about 'how we see them' and believe me I do understand difference but that very difference is why we can't agree ^^ I just put it bluntly because I would waste my effort to change somebody's perspective.  But if I need to clear my point I will give one simple example, when they went to movie date and Junghwan was helping her to walk I thought 'Okay now that's sweet at least they're beginning to rely on each other, approves..." Then Deok Sun suddenly walked away when Junghwan is out of sight  ...goat sound...ok that was cute.  Once again Junghwan is sincere here, but Deok Sun has that ulterior motive 'holding hands' so it was deficient moment in terms of relationship construction. Likewise I agree every  point you made about presents but did you gave same thought to Taek's trophy gift? Even if it can be kimchi pot to Deok Sun it was a gift Taek put so much effort. So I believe we perceive all these selectively based on our preferences. I totally get it when you say they look like grade schoolers in the beach scene but same thing has been said for Junghwan and Deok Sun's constant bickering. But that is not all there to see. Just like how so many times Taek and Deok Sun reversed the roles and DS was receiving end  but it was unnoticed by you. For example, easily said praises like "thank you, sorry, you're pretty, stay a while with me", stroking her head, hugging, buying meat, giving gifts, making sure of her safety, giving medicine when she is sick. I know you won't realize momentarily reactions to all this that has been shown to differentiate from being friendly since there was nothing afterwards but I also look what happened afterwards love dovey effect it's back to the square when Deok Sun acts indifferent to the boys. 

It's not my fault ds doesnt have a chance going to college coz i'm calling her not by full name. Okay, soo yeon, soo yeon - ha ha :lol:.

There are some mothers who are so hopefull to their child for bright future... Be thankful to our parents who raise u either good or bad. I really wanted to watch this drama with my mom but she always busy with housecore or her chicken or her plants or her flower or whatever it is, to sit down in front of tv everyday. 

Guest wizengamot

OFFICIAL POSTERS FROM REPLY 1988 OFFICIAL TWITTER ACCOUNT

CTb4UHWUYAAcoaJ_zpshgfpcrvv.png

CRV0Q3XUsAAaYtq_zpsiv46rfah.png

what's with the two posters? and the second one being with the Sung and Kim family only... hmmm *grins*

@wizengamot the 2nd poster is posted a long time ago. There is someone who even said that while everyone thought it is between pbg and gkp, it is someone else that is the leading man. Then it turns into a guessing game between rjy and gkp. 

So yeah, it is like a fond memory. :D Sorry, I went back to reread page one to pass by the boredom of waiting for the next episode and it was fun to read how the husband guessing game evolved. 

Archived