[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NRGchick said:

Is it too early to wonder if there will be a director's cut. I think this is a set worth keeping!

For most dramas, people from DC Gallery organize a team to work with the production company and the broadcasting station to make a request for a director's cut DVD and negotiate the contents for the DVD set. Just last week, the team for AM1988 dvd and blue-ray has been established. So yeah, it's happening!

(In the past, fans did complain that when it comes to the director's cut, Shin PD is pretty hands off and not as enthusiastic as they would like him to be though. They want him to do a director's commentary about the meaning of all the props and other extras, but not sure if Shin PD will comply with that request.)

13 hours ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

LOL I noticed and love that in some scenes he's wearing all the colors. I think in the latest ep when he's talking with Deok sun about feelings, he's all out in red, blue, green, and yellow. It cracks me up because it's so damn ugly and it's just like "wow this production team is kind of scary, ha" like they really go out there and did these colored clothes and dolls and match it up s end by scene. It amuses me to think Shin PD: No the green clothes pin must be between the yellow and blue and we must add red to confuse them. Why is the yarn black!?!? I ordered NAVY BLUE!?!? Get my phone... Hahahahahahahahahaha. It kills me to think their are crew members that have dress dolls "is it the purple or pink shirt today?" Or paint sign and things. It's a scary amount of dedication that leaves me in awe as well as amused and scared. The team really should do a murder mystery next. 

7 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

LOL I noticed and love that in some scenes he's wearing all the colors. I think in the latest ep when he's talking with Deok sun about feelings, he's all out in red, blue, green, and yellow. It cracks me up because it's so damn ugly and it's just like "wow this production team is kind of scary, ha" like they really go out there and did these colored clothes and dolls and match it up s end by scene. It amuses me to think Shin PD: No the green clothes pin must be between the yellow and blue and we must add red to confuse them. Why is the yarn black!?!? I ordered NAVY BLUE!?!? Get my phone... Hahahahahahahahahaha. It kills me to think their are crew members that have dress dolls "is it the purple or pink shirt today?" Or paint sign and things. It's a scary amount of dedication that leaves me in awe as well as amused and scared. The team really should do a murder mystery next. 

I feel sorry for the prop team honestly. As much as I love Shin PD, I imagine he would be a difficult and demanding person to work with. 

Seeing how he insists on doing all the final editing himself and not receive a helping hand, I suspect he's a control freak/perfectionist too. 

As a viewer, though, I am happy that he is such a control freak/perfectionist. And yes, he HAS to do a murder mystery one day!

Man, Bo Ra having such a huge portion of the screentime these two episodes makes me happy. I was frigging ecstatic when she even took over the narration, because honestly she could've been the main character with just a bit more focus by the team. Love the fact that it seems she's on the verge of breaking up with Sun Woo, because it sets their love line for a happy ending by the end of the series. Putting their studies before their love is a nice story in of itself, so I'm looking forward to the next set of episodes.

Wow, Duk Seon sporting some nice Zettai Ryouiki just before Jung Hwang's birthday! Such a shame she was shown sitting down in the scene after, as I would've loved more time of her showing that nice combo of her skirt + her thighs. ^^;

And man, she's really stupid. Jung Hwan's brother is AT LEAST 2 sizes bigger than him, and that shirt didn't look at all tight. Sure it's the same style, but surely as the childhood friend for both, she would know they wear different sizes? But then again, her being dumb is part of her character...

To be honest though, I was expecting this. More trouble in the horizon for Jung Hwan is EXACTLY what the plot calls for if he is to be the husband. I even have a stinking feeling that Sleeping Beauty would be one of the suitors... XD

I mean, sure Taek is getting love letters from his fans, but his relationship with Duk Seon seems to be on an upside. In order for him to be the husband, he needs to have a falling out with her AND then start dating other girls.

That's not even going to the fact that future Duk Seon says that her husband dated a lot during college. Sure she can mean that while she herself was at college, but there's still a very big chance that she meant while the husband was at college. Taek has next to no chance to study, so again very unlikely to be him still (was actually expecting him to start studying in the third year but alas still in baduk).

7 hours ago, mrukki said:

I was reading the Taek- Deok Sun shipper thread and noted a misunderstanding that I wanted to clear but since I think many other people may also be confused so I'm posting here. The quintet listed by age is below (oldest to youngest):

Kim Jung Hwan: March 1971

Deok Sun (Soo Young) and Sun Woo: August 17 1971

Taek: October 8 1971

Dong Ryong: January 28 1972

According to Reply 1988 official website DR, JH, SW, DS, TK were the 1971 Liner. They were born on the same year. :)

I'm so freaking excited!!!!!

A fan saw actor Lee Dong Hwi (DR), took a photo with him and even got his autograph. Lee Dong Hwi told the fan that he has many scenes (making a lot of appearances) in Episodes 15 and 16, making the fan (and me) excited. 

Are we finally getting DR's episode that we've been waiting for?!! Get that love, DR!!!!!!

Source: http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=reply1988&no=343901&page=&recommend=1

@blue_angel_1004 Do you think the accident they refer to in the preview for episode 15 is actually Dong Ryong's? 

But YES! I've been waiting for Dong ryong's episode :) I figure the reason why his dad become his homeroom teacher also means some build up, since he literally cannot hide from his dad now, both in school and at home. 

22 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

@blue_angel_1004 Do you think the accident they refer to in the preview for episode 15 is actually Dong Ryong's? 

But YES! I've been waiting for Dong ryong's episode :) I figure the reason why his dad become his homeroom teacher also means some build up, since he literally cannot hide from his dad now, both in school and at home. 

I have no idea and am not even going to try to guess who was involved in the accident. But it makes total sense that they'd now give DR's episode by having his dad be their homeroom teacher.

I noticed that the preview tried to lead you to think it's JH or their dad in the accident by showing JB running to the bus stop to find DS (I mean, Soo Yeon). But I think that's a trick. JB has a chocolate bar in his hand when he's running, and when JB and DS are talking, he's no longer holding it and it is now in DS's hand. I wonder if it's White Day (March 14th) and JB is asking DS to give the chocolate to Maggie Cheung. 

Oh crap, as I wrote that, I realized... White Day is coming up in the drama timeline! Valentines Day is when a girl gives a chocolate to a guy, and White Day is when a guy confesses to the girl! Will any of the guys be able to successfully confess that day? Besides JB of course... because that boy is smooth~~

10 hours ago, toera said:

The lack of 2015 scenes is kind of weird. Don't know if it's because they need extra actors for 2015, or because those actors are famous but they haven't shown them for some time now.
Are they going to add more famous people for the gang? OR (and that would be the end of trolling) they will use only them in the last episodes and we won't see the young actors anymore? That would sure start a riot. lol

IMHO, 2015 scenes are mainly designed to tease viewers about characters' future and for the past 4 or so episodes there has been nothing really happening. There is nothing to show.  For once I am glad about the lack of modern scenes, they add nothing to the plot and are a waste of screentime in my opinion. Although watching SunWoo and BoRa in pojangmacha for a hundreds time is not any better at this point.

16 hours ago, mrukki said:

I was reading the Taek- Deok Sun shipper thread and noted a misunderstanding that I wanted to clear but since I think many other people may also be confused so I'm posting here. The quintet listed by age is below (oldest to youngest):

Kim Jung Hwan: March 1971

Deok Sun (Soo Young) and Sun Woo: August 17 1971

Taek: October 8 1971

Dong Ryong: January 28 1972

Junghwan is 5 March~~~^^ 

Calendar in Sung Dong Il's house showing 5th March, the scene shown after the Kids celebrate JH's Bday scene at Taek's room..

I also think DR is the youngest, because on January 28th '72 it's still the same Lunar year with '71 so makes him consider same age with the other kids. But I don't have such assurance either about that. hahaha just speculate it that way. he might also was born on '71..

2015-12-23%2009.36.28_zpske9g8gq3.png

Spoiler

I don't know why the sub in DramaFever is like that, the words they choose made the whole sentences feel different. They make a simple sigh or 'Aaah' (it's not even aiish or IC, censored) to be "D'mn it' I lost count about how many 'D'mn it' Junghwan said according to subtitle. I love the whole after-concert scenes in Epi 13, but with those "d'mn it" repeatedly appear, so disturbing. and the unnecessary "Jesus" and "chick" in some other episodes

Ooh~~~ thanks TVN for DR's BTS~~~ love it so much, since epi 0 and few BTS clips before I spotted that LDH is treating Hyeri so nicely, like real oppa to his beautiful cute dongsaeng! 

Seems like I got the wrong information. I took the birthdates of the Korean wiki page because it was the easiest source of information but @heolaaa is correct the official TVN site has Dong Ryong listed as a 71'er. The rest are undisputedly a 71'er. That will mean from oldest to youngest will be:

Dong Ryong

Jung Hwan

Deok Sun and Sun Woo

Taek

Which makes more sense because Taek acts like the youngest. 

May I add a couple of notes to the dramabeans’ recap of Episode 14?  I know many of the posters here in soompi rely on that site to form their opinions. Caveat: This is a long post so feel free to skip.

First commentary:

According to dramabeans, TK said this:  “I just like her. I like being with her.” And then he gets all serious as he adds, “I think I might die without her.” 
According to dramafever, this was what TK said: [Addressing the empty space with a smile] I just like her. I just like her when I’m with her. [Pause. He turned to face SW. For a second, he looked confused as if a sudden discovery bewildered him, then he became serious, making eye contact with SW.] When she smiles…I almost feel like I could die.

There’s a difference between dramafever’s and dramabeans’ translations but it works either way for me. 

With dramafever’s subs, the viewers sensed a visceral emotion from him -- not a cold intellectual analysis by some genius. There’s a jarring disconnect in the imagery produced by the words.  Normally, a smile doesn’t trigger thoughts of death, but of life, happiness, and heaven (as in “I feel like I died and went to heaven when I saw him smile.”) Therefore, to say that 999th DS could slay him with a simple smile was most poetic… and painful… considering how often she smiled in his presence. lol. 

As for the dramabeans’ translation, I understand from some posters that TK’s words left an ugly impression that he was a needy young man.  But if I was a TS-DK shipper, I wouldn’t be so sensitive nor be insulted by that kind of observation.  You see, most people missed the connection here.  As dramatic as TK’s declaration sounded, it paralleled the words spoken by DS’ father in the previous episode.  In Episode 13, DS’s father broke down in fear that his wife would die of cancer. He wailed, “I can’t live without her! I can’t.”  Remember that? And do you notice how both these dramatic confessions of the father and TK elicited the same reactions from the best buddies? Both their male audience laughed off their histrionics as one big joke. 

I think the similarity was deliberate. In making TK and the father say the same over-the-top lines about the “great love of their lives”, a connection was established between these two “Supermen”.  [“Superman Returns” was the Episode 13’s title. I have to explain that too another time.] You see, these men have something in common other than Duk-Seung. Both men put on a brave face and try to save the world. In TK’s case, it was the baduk world, and specifically, the Japanese tournament where he won that nondescript trophy. More importantly, they both avowed that their kryptonite was their women.  

Their willingness to declare their true feelings no matter how comical and hysterical they sound is a sign of their bravery. Lesser men would have kept their true feelings to themselves. 

Second commentary: 

The whole DongRyong and DS conversation in Episode 14 may be viewed from a perspective different from that explored in dramabeans. I’ll type the subtitles from dramafever and intersperse my own remarks as I go along. BTW, I’m neither a DS/TK nor DS/JH fangirl. I don’t watch these shows for love-lines. But I do ship scripts, as some old-timer Soompi posters here know. The scriptwriter’s approach to this drama is intriguing but, unfortunately, some points may have been overlooked in the rush to establish and defend coupledoms,  

DS: [sighing]
DR: What’s up with you? Are you shooting a movie? [DR immediately picked up on the mood: DS was acting like a long-suffering drama queen from a makjang.]
DS: Ancestor, there’s something I’m curious about. [The translator most likely meant “O wise and ancient sage!” because DS recognized DR as the group counselor.]
DR: Tell me. [lol. He was already playing up his role as Father Confessor. He’s been effectively eliminated as Future Husband.]
DS: Why doesn’t anyone like me? [DR gave her the side-eye and muttered something in contempt. Of course, he knew of ONE person who liked her but he couldn’t outright tell her. Instead, he did the next best thing: he trolled her.]
DR: Oh! It’s Taek…. Nope, never mind. [Nice move! He covertly disclosed who liked DS by pretending to play a game of “I spy Taek.” He grinned at how clever he was.]
DS: [Notice how DS looked up expectantly?] I’m serious. [Meaning she was having a serious conversation here, so stop it for a second with the childish games.]
DR: I know, I’m serious, too. 
DS: [Looks downcast again.] Why isn’t there anyone? Hmm? I guess I’m a woman who has no right to be loved. [Watch at slight movement of DR’s shoulders. He was restraining himself from laughing at her pity-party.]
DR: Duk Seon.
DS: Yeah? 
DR: Do you like boiled sweet potatoes or baked sweet potatoes?
DS: Boiled sweet potatoes.
DR: Do you like Lee Man Sae or Park Nam Jung?
DS: Park Nam Jung.
DR: Do you like me or Taek?
DS: [without hesitation] Taekie. [Grinning]
DR: How annoying. [It probably pricked his ego that she didn’t equivocate.] You hate me?
DS: No, but I still like Taek more [Smiles again.]
DR: If that’s the case, do you like Jung Hwang or Sung Woo?
DS: Don’t ask questions like that. [Observe DR smile again.]

Let’s pause here and discuss this a bit. 

Why did DR smile here at her response?  Why didn’t he call her out for evading the question? Why didn’t he insist on her giving an honest answer? I think it’s because he was SATISFIED with her response. Her non-answer was, in itself, an answer he wanted, and he smiled because he received confirmation that DS liked TK. TK was ranked one. 

You see, DR forced her to choose one.  Boiled or baked sweet potato? This entertainer or that one? Him or Taek? Without hesitation, she gave her responses. Moreover, when he clarified whether she chose Taek because she disliked him, she readily answered that she liked Taek MORE… which revealed to DR that she was unabashed in her preference for TK.  But if she had so candidly chosen TK over him, why couldn’t she do the same when the choice was either SW or JH?

Really now! If I were DS, my only logical answer was SW. Look: if I truly liked JH, there was no way I’d reveal my crush to that blabbermouth DR. The safe answer was SW to deflect my real feelings. On the other hand, if I felt nothing for JH, then my answer should also have been SW, because SW is a much “likeable” person than JH whom everybody regards as “prickly”.  Remember what the ghost-father of SW asked him earlier in this episode? The ghost-father asked whether JH was still prickly. So even back then, his reputation was known.

See that?

To me, DS halted DR with “Don’t ask questions like that” in order to avoid having divided loyalties/friendships and belaboring the point any further. Besides, as far as she was concerned, those two men “rejected” her -- SW liked her sister, and JH gave the pink shirt to his Hyung – so what was the point of picking one? The way she was feeling at that time, it would have been akin to choosing the lesser “evil." lol. 

To DongRyong, however, the fact TK was DK’s unequivocal choice was all that he needed to know. Although she couldn’t be more explicit in her reasons for liking him, it was sufficient for DR that she had set TK apart from the rest of the gang. It’s in THIS context that he doled out his next advice --

DR: Duk-Seong, how do you feel? Instead of other people liking you, who is it that you like? [She was already grossly mistaken in thinking that NOBODY liked her because there was still Taekie. Instead of worrying needlessly about who liked her, her time would be better spent getting to know the person she does like.]
DR: You’re so clear about the way you like to eat sweet potatoes. [And also about liking Taek, let’s not forget.] But you don’t know what type of person you like? [Meaning, how was it possible that she had no understanding and no awareness of her preferences? Here, DR forgot that the boys had each other to discuss the criteria they found attractive in girls -- for example, aggressive girls like Bora. lol – but DS was excluded from this kind of conversation.]
DR: Duk-Seong…I mean, Soo-Yeon. You can like someone, instead of someone liking you, right? [He was telling her that it was alright to be proactive. She could go ahead and like someone, without worrying or waiting for someone to like her or even to reciprocate her feelings.]

…which brings me to explain a flaw in the DS-JH interaction. 

It seems like many viewers miss seeing this because they consider the swoon-y interactions between the couple as ample evidence of DS’ feelings for JH.  On the contrary, I don’t think that DS had fallen in love with JH – as of Episode 14. DR astutely observed that DS was more worried about being liked than about liking someone.  After getting her heart broken by SW, it was natural for her to be wary of falling for somebody without first getting assurance that her affection will be reciprocated. Since Episode 10, she had been TESTING JH to determine if he liked her.  She’d been making him jump through the hoops, similar to that very first test that she did in Episode 10 when she asked him whether he minded her going on a blind date. 

Do you recognize the pattern here?

1. asking him if he minded her going out on a blind date. According to her friends, if he tried to stop her, that meant he really liked her. (ep 10)
2. bugging him to go to the Lee Man-Se concert, even in her sleep (ep 11).  I think, in her mind, if she was able to convince him to go with her, then that was another sign that he liked her. This would explain why there was curiously NO scene showing her excitement or her preparations for the concert after all the fuss she made to get him to change his mind; that scene would have been moot.  
3. dressing up prettily and “accidentally” joining him on the bus. She wanted him to notice her new and improved image. (ep 12)
4. glancing to see if he was jealous when her middle school friend talked with her after the concert (ep 13)
5. pretending to have an injured ankle to see what he’d do [in kdrama, she would have been given a piggy-back, instead she got a hand and nagging.] (ep 13)
6. using her aegyo to make him agree to a rewatch of Top Gun (ep 14)
7. making him wear a PINK shirt [I’m sorry, ladies, but this was clearly a set-up. Remember, the shirt was chosen by Mi-Ok. It wasn’t a “personal” gift because she DIDN’T pick it out herself. Nor was this a “couple” gift to match the pink gloves she received for Christmas. This shirt was a test. She wanted to see if he liked her enough to wear the shirt to his birthday party. That was why she told her friends, “I guess I was wrong again this time.” When she mistakenly thought that JH gave the shirt to the Hyung, she determined that JH didn’t like her because he failed the test.] (ep 14)

lol. Our young DS had an agenda or an ulterior motive. She wanted to make sure that JH liked her BEFORE she would fall for him. This was understandable precaution after the SW fiasco. She wanted assurances that she was liked.  Had she really loved JH to begin with, all these tests and petty games would have been unnecessary. She would have simply followed her heart and spontaneously showed her affections. 

That’s why I find DR’s counsel to focus on getting to know who she likes quite interesting. DR hadn’t a clue about the on-going dynamics between JH and DS so he couldn’t possible foresee the repercussion of his advice on DS/TK/JH's relationships. The upcoming episodes should sail or moor the respective couple ships temporarily until the next twist in the drama.    

[DR sighing]
DR: Kids nowadays only know about the here and the now. They don’t know about life. But you know don’t know about any of these [Meaning, she has neither an understanding of what’s right under her nose nor a grasp of the big picture.] so what is it that you do know. What’s up with you? I swear…[Stop to see TK]. Hurry, get up!
DS: Are we going somewhere?
DR: Pizza’s here [Speaking of the devil…]
DS: [Smiles]

DR: How many pizzas did you order?
TK: Five.
DR: You’re definitely rich.
TK: I figured you wouldn’t be able to eat with us since you got out late. So I bought each one of you a pizza to eat home. [This is interesting. TK was now mindful of other people’s schedules and he was planning things.]
DR: Taek, let’s get married. [Troll! This was an inside joke between the guys because the girl Taek liked was right beside them, and they knew that she wouldn’t get it. What DR was hinting at was TK was a husband material because of his earning potential.]
TK: No, thank you.
DS: Go home, he needs to sleep. [Acting wife-y here]
DR: Okay, see you later. I’m going to eat this by myself.
DS: I’m going to go home, too.
TK: [grabbing hold of her sleeve] Go later. 

That’s it for now. Feel free to agree or disagree, ladies. Or to ignore. :)

Will post later to list some reasons why people generally think JH is the husband. I believe I saw somebody query this in an earlier post. Somebody named @minibunny, I think. 

Shoutout to @shooastrid. Thanks for the baduk explanation. Will post some comments about that too. 

HAPPY WEDNESDAY EVERYONE! <3

Seems like.. everyone's getting a bit iffy and uneasy about this series..so here's a breather!

Someone made a fanmade trailer for "a special love" featuring Taek and Junghwan..
HAHAHHA it's so convincing..it's so funny XD

their bromance x chemistry is no joke!
i lost it when they became siblings.. HAHAHAHA

After watching  Ep 13, I have to say this is one of my favourite episodes. Even though I knew Taek was ok, I still cried when his appa was panicked and frantic about Taek.  A truly heartwarming episode!

And JB gift for MO....utterly perfect! 

Topping the page!

Hope to see more smiley face JH in future episodes. 

ramyun_zpscxg1dkvx.gif

Hi chinggus! I've been a big fan of the Reply series. And I love the discussion on this forum and how lively and interactive it is here. It's my first time to post here though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I noticed the guy sitting beside SunWo inside the classroom the one who knew in advance who their class advisor is, isn't he the same intern Doctor that Trash Oppa is classmates with? 

I am looking forward to the "merging" Reply series world.

Archived