[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hyeri of Girl’s Day Offered Leading Lady Role in Answer Me 1988
unshd2.jpg

Oh %*#&! This casting news makes the earlier news of Changmin possibly doing his first sageuk role with Scholar Who Walks the Night sound like a brilliant casting coup. Hyeri of dol group Girl’s Day is reportedly in talks for the female lead of upcoming tvN drama Answer Me 1988, the third drama in the popular Answer Me series. The AN series isn’t known for casting actresses with established acclaimed acting track records, Answer Me 1997 was Jung Eun Ji of Apink‘s first drama acting role while Go Ara was widely considered a flower vase who couldn’t act until her breakout with Answer Me 1994. With that said, I have seen Hyeri act and she is AWFUL. Terrible, monotonous, mildly dense, devoid of any onscreen charisma, basically she’s the black hole vortex of suck when it comes to acting, even compared to other idols turned actors. I cannot fathom what the AM production is thinking in offering her a role in the drama, much less the leading lady role. Count me out if she’s in.

unshd3.jpg

Right now the only confirmed cast members of AM1988 are returning veterans Sung Dong Il and Lee Il Hwa, making it their third go-around playing parents to the kids in the show. Their third return trip is a little bit too wink-wink cutesy and getting tired for me, the second time was already rather precious but since I love their great chemistry and warmth as the parents it didn’t bother me that much. Now I’m wondering if they will be the best thing about the cast if the production is working around Hyeri as the female lead.

unshd.jpg

I don’t know what Hyeri is like as a person, or her talents as a singer in Girl’s Day, but watching her act in Hyde, Jekyll, Me is like pulling teeth + nails on chalkboard bad. I was hoping she would return to her singing career after Hyde, never to return to acting, so the thought that she’s not only going to continue acting but vault to leading lady status has me doing Edvard Munch’s The Scream. The only thing to make this nightmare go away is if she declines the offer.

credit: http://koalasplayground.com/2015/03/24/hyeri-of-girls-day-offered-leading-lady-role-in-answer-me-1988/

*Shudder* Screames: NNNNNNOOOOOOOoooooo! 
No please. not her. Seen here in HJM and urgghhhh. worst than being just not my cup of tea, she is the drink i just cant drink, like a bad batch of americano, so bitter and just out of flavor. This casting for female lead is such a turn off. I am okay with her as a supporting cast. Just not female lead. Please please please not her. 
shin pd, i know you can do better. Please not her!!!

hahaha its interesting reading about her potential casting news after reading DBSKs Changmin name being connected to Scholar who walks at night. I have not finished screaming and shuddering from that casting potential and now this.. whats happening with korean drama this days and their propensity with casting main leads of horrible acting acting-idols. I don't get it...

class="article_post_title entry-title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 32px; font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Hyeri In Talks For Lead In 'Reply 1988'h11.jpg
Sports World - Naver: Girls Day Hyeri nominated for female lead in 'Reply 1998'

1. [+2909, -243] Already a failure.....

2. [+2194, -158] What kind of dog poop is this??

3. [+2050, -158] Ah, no way ㅜㅜㅜㅜㅠㅜㅜㅜ

4. [+1731, -136] Eh..........

5. [+1223, -84] At least Jung Eun Ji and Go Ara had acting abilities but if they cast Lee Hyeri, 'Reply' series will fail for the first time

6. [+516, -31] To be honest, her acting is lacking to land her a lead role

7. [+503, -29] Don't cast an idol. Please find someone with an unexpected charm like Go Ara....

8. [+496, -38] Hyeri's getting a free ride...

9. [+406, -34] She can't act...

10. [+358, -35] I won't watchㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ It's already a failure even before it started

11. [+353, -30] Cast an actress not an idol

12. [+117, -20] I'm a fan of Hyeri but I don't think she should be in this

13. [+117, -23] I'm disappointed of the PD

But according to Koreaboo, it's been confirmed~
class="single__title entry-title" style="border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Girl’s Day Hyeri confirmed for lead role in tvN drama “Reply 1988″Girls-Day-Hyeri.jpg

With plans of another Reply series underway, the role of the female lead has been confirmed to be taken by the one and only Hyeri of Girl’s Day!

On March 25th, broadcasting officials said, “Hyeri has decided to appear in the populartvN drama series ‘Reply 1988.’ After having had a recent of meetings with the producer, she is planning to take the role of female lead.”

Past series of Reply — Reply 1997 in 2012 and Reply 1994 in 2013 — have been extremely well-received and loved vy viewers, and have boosted the popularity of various actors, including singer Seo In Guk, TINY-G‘s DoheeApink‘s Jung EunjiJung WooGo Ara,Yoo Yeon SukSon Ho Jun, and many more. After nearing two years since the last series, many have rejoiced at the news of another sequel was in the works.

However, unlike the past two Reply series, Reply 1988 will be family focused, drawing heartwarming stories of various families and normal people. This year was particularly chosen as the Summer Olympics were held in Seoul that year, and also marked the presidency of Roh Tae Woo, who was later found guilty for corruption under office.

Reply 1988 will mark the second leading role Hyeri will take on with the first being inJTBC‘s Seonam Girls High School Investigators, and will succeed Jung Eunji and Go Ara as the female lead of a Reply series.

The new series is looking to air in the second half of the year.

Source: Sports World

Koreaboo

class="content-title" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 1.4em; font-size: 23px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; visibility: visible; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Hyeri in Talks for Leading Role in “Reply 1988″
hyeri.jpg

Girl’s Day member and actress Hyeri has been reported to be in consideration for the leading role in the upcoming tvN drama, “Reply 1988.”

Media outlet Sports World reported earlier that Hyeri has been confirmed for the leading role of the drama. However, Producer Shin Won Ho of the “Reply” series denied this claim, stating, “The female lead role has yet to be confirmed. We are still in the process of casting. We have only met with Hyeri.”

He also added, “As we have always done, we will cast someone who can act and fit the character really well.”

Hyeri has recently shown her acting chops on “Seonam Girls High School Investigators” and “Hyde, Jekyll, Me.” “Reply 1988″ is expected to premiere later this year.

Soompi

StaRix said: But according to Koreaboo, it's been confirmed~
class="single__title entry-title" style="border: 0px; border-image-source: initial; border-image-slice: initial; border-image-width: initial; border-image-outset: initial; border-image-repeat: initial; font-family: 'Source Sans Pro', sans-serif; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; margin: 0px 0px 0.5em; padding: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Girl’s Day Hyeri confirmed for lead role in tvN drama “Reply 1988″

Koreaboo

• 4 weeks later...

According to a few news articles on Naver, Kim Sung Kyun (Samcheonpo from Reply 1994) is in talk to be in Reply 1988, too. D: idk what to feel about this, tbh. 
one of the news article :

[단독]김성균, '응답하라 1988' 출연… '응사' 영광 재현

oRkR39tl.jpg
source : http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=17636189&cloc=
If I understand google translate correctly, he's offered a role where he'll be a father (probably in of the many families in the show?). Well, if he's gonna be totally different from his Samcheonpo persona, I'd say why not. Plus he's in the same club as YYS and JW (before YYS offered and accepted Warm and Cozy) where they were the only ones from Reply 1994 who have yet to come back in dramaland after almost 2 years. So to see him back in the small screen is always a great news.
I'd love it if he could provide a fresh new character instead of sticking to his Samcheonpo image (tho I love Samcheonpo) because the revival of the parents ie SDI and LIH characters and with same characteristics probably is more than enough already, imho. 

class="article_post_title entry-title" style="font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 32px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Kim Sung Gyun (Aka Samcheonpo) Confirmed For 'Reply 1988'
sfnjakfsjdf.jpg
Ilgan Sports - Naver: Kim Sung Gyun cast in  'Reply 1988'... Honoured to be cast again after 'Reply 1994'

1. [+2284, -225] I like that they cast Kim Sung Gyunㅋㅋ But I just hope they don't cast Hyeri. I don't want an idol in this drama

2. [+1191, -41] There was an overlap in 'Reply 1997' and 'Reply 1994' .. I'm curious of how they're gonna execute an overlap in 'Reply 1988'. I thought Kim Sung Gyun was only good with murderer and gangster roles but I had no idea he would nail his role as innocent university student. I will trust him in 'Reply 1988'.

3. [+105, -1] It would be so funny if they cast Dohee as his daughter ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+102, -12] They should cast Dohee and be paired with him again..

5. [+79, -6] Aigoo,  we'll have a 'Reply' Joseon version at this rate  ㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+53, -1] They might produce 'Reply 1945' tooㅋㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+65, -16] But Jung Eunji did great in 'Reply 1997'. Why would you be opposed of idols venturing into acting? They just need to fit well into the drama and that should be fine

8. [+49, -1] This ahjusshi is so charmingㅋㅋㅋ

9. [+49, -4] So it won't be about husband mystery this time? That's daebak then. Even without the husband mystery plot, 'Reply' will still be a masterpiece.

http://kkuljaem.blogspot.ca/2015/04/kim-sung-gyun-aka-samcheonpo-confirmed.html

@day_dreameryay! thanks for the updates above. I lvoe how positive the Knetz are about his confirmation.. 
SamCheonPo here we go again!!!

czakhareina said:
class="article_post_title entry-title" style="font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 32px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"3. [+105, -1] It would be so funny if they cast Dohee as his daughter ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Answer Me 1988 brings 1994’s Samcheonpo back to the foldby girlfriday | April 21, 2015 | 8 Comments

KimSungKyun1.jpg

Ha, this’ll be a fun twist on a callback — Kim Sung-kyun, who played Answer Me 1994’s sweet and hapless country bumpkin Samcheonpo, will be joining Answer Me 1988 as one of the parents. It’s bizarre if you think about the fact that he played a college freshman in1994 (he’s 35 in real life, which was its own source of jokes while he was Samcheonpo), and will be following that up with a role as a dad but earlier in the timeline. Thank goodness the Answer Me universes don’t exist on the same space-time continuum (except when they do!).

read full http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/04/answer-me-1988-brings-1994s-samcheonpo-back-to-the-fold/

Guest kyung-jin

class="at_ttl"Kim Sung Kyun Will Return To ‘Reply 1988’

BY Adrienne Stanley | Apr 23, 2015 10:39 AM EDT   

An April 21 report from FN News outlined casting details for the upcoming tvN series, “Reply 1988.” Kim Sung Kyun, who portrayed Samcheonpo in “Reply 1994,” will return to the latest edition of the series but in a different role. In “Reply 1994,” the 34-year-old actor portrayed a college student who looked significantly older than his age. However, he will portray a father in “Reply 1988.”

This follows a previous announcement which confirmed the return of Sung Dong Il and Lee Il Hwa to the series. “Reply 1998” will focus on the lives of four Korean families in 1988. Whereas “Reply 1997” and “Reply 1994” centered on the trials of students, the latest installment of the popular series will focus on more wholesome topics.

“Reply 1988” will draw inspiration from the popular series, “Three Families Under One Roof.” “Three Families Under One Roof” was a Sunday family comedy which aired on MBC from November 1986 through November 1994. In the FN News report, “Reply 1988” is also described as a different take on the ‘70s American series, “The Partridge Family,” hinting at musical elements within the drama.

According to a representative for tvN, “The main cast is almost finalized.”

The “Reply” series was launched in 2012 with “Reply 1997.” The drama focused on the golden age of K-pop, with groups like H.O.T at the forefront of the dialogue. “Reply 1997” helped to catapult the acting careers of its young cast including A Pink’s Eunji and Seo In Guk. Eunji portrayed the ultimate H.O.T fangirl. INFINITE’s Hoya took on the controversial role of Kang Joon Hee, a young gay man who secretly harbored feelings for his best friend.

“Reply 1997” was followed by 2013 series, “Reply 1994.” The second installment focused on the popularity of Seo Taiji and Boys, the group which has yielded solo artist Seo Taiji, as well as, YG Entertainment’s Yang Hyun Suk. The success of “Reply 1994” bolstered the careers of other young stars including Go Ara, Jung Woo, Dohee, and B1A4’s Baro. Kim Sung Kyun served as Samcheonpo, the love interest and future husband of Dohee’s Jo Yoon Jin.

The latest installment in this popular series will surely yield more talented Korean drama stars. “Reply 1988” will begin airing in the second half of 2015.

Source: http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/82454/20150423/kim-sung-kyun-will-return-to-reply-1988.htm

Okay, this is gonna be real fun! :D
class="article_post_title entry-title" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; font-size: 32px; font-family: 'Playfair Display', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(72, 72, 72); padding: 0px 0px 15px; text-transform: capitalize; letter-spacing: 0.800000011920929px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Kim Sung Gyun And Ra Mi Ran To Play A Couple In 'Reply 1988'fskajfksj.jpg

Ilgan Sports - Naver: Kim Sung Gyun and Ra Mi Ran to play a couple in 'Reply 1988' 

1. [+2952, -29] Ah ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋThis pairing is gonna be amazing ㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+3472, -562] But please don't cast Hyeri

3. [+1197, -15] Heol Heol. This makes me so excited!!!!

4. [+1081, -17] Daebakㅠㅠㅠ I'm totally looking forward to this pair!!!!!

5. [+202, -8] Then, cast Dohee as the daughter. It will be daebakㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Ra Mi Ran is really funny. I'm so excited

6. [+172, -3] Ra Mi Ran unni is daebak. I approve of this

7. [+164, -3]  Sung Dong Il, Lee Il Hwa, Kim Sung Gyun. This is amazing....

6. [+153, -3] What a powerful combo...^^;;;

http://kkuljaem.blogspot.ca/2015/04/kim-sung-gyun-and-ra-mi-ran-to-play.html

I know it's not the first time I said this but I'm actually dying to know who will be casted as the new youngsters more than the elders.October is still far away anyway, no wonder. Seeing Kim Sung Gyun - Ra Mi Ran pair will be interesting.

@ruzikie hehe i feel you... i am okay with hyeri as long as she is a very minor character... anyway read somewhere that a member from exo and red velvet is gonna be a cast of this drama. I really hatw it when SM ent has such power as to get casting for their talents... they even got changmin as 2nd lead jn scholar who walks at night...

czakhareina said: @ruzikie hehe i feel you... i am okay with hyeri as long as she is a very minor character... anyway read somewhere that a member from exo and red velvet is gonna be a cast of this drama. I really hatw it when SM ent has such power as to get casting for their talents... they even got changmin as 2nd lead jn scholar who walks at night...

Archived