Quantcast
czakhareina

[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

2 hours ago, jiyujiyu said:

I'm pretty sure that the passport date issue is typo, the month actually January not December.

Here I found some evidences.

We can see from the above photos, the calendar even it's just a small part but it still show us the date 15

Then in the hospital, we can see in the white board month: 1 date: 15

Here when DS get her passport it shows 17 January

And lastly when they in the China hotel, behind them shows 1-18, 18 January

In ep 9 when mr.choi went to his friend's funeral, JH's mom and SW's mom played cards and talked about JB who went to temple. After that, JW's mom got the letter (the house problem) she needs to get money before next month. Then mr. choi collapsed, he asked DS to go with Taek to China and then he gave JW's mom the money that she needs before. And in the ep 10 we know from DR that JB just came back from the temple after 10 days. It means that the China baduk competition happened in january 1989.

Note: Sorry for my bad English

i found the same evidence too. Its still january 1989 as far as i see. I hope its just a typo (we can typo between 88 and 89 but with 89 and 90 is too....i dont know, because someone mention korean passport issued either 1,5,or 10 years) Is there any rule in the past that a passport can be use before issued date because of the urgency maybe?. it just my tought....:sweatingbullets:

• Like 3

I'm really enjoying this drama, but as I've started to rewatch some of am1994's scenes, I realized that we are going a lot slower in 1988. It's already episode 10 and they're still not in their senior year of high school, so how will they have time to cover their changes in university, worklife, and so on, keeping in mind that in 2015 tha main characters are like 45? I think that here, they are spending too much time introducing each character that they're forgetting about the progression of time. either that or they're gonna rush these last 10 episodes since the first 10 have been really slow in development. The only conflicts I saw in the first 10 episodes were  BR's protesting and JB's illness, whereas in am1994 or am1997 I felt like every episode had its own conflict/drama factor and solution within itself. I feel like it would make AM1988 a lot more dynamic if they go through the changes and show in progression how they came to grow up, especially DS, since we see that she's obviously changed ALOT in the future. The first kiss between OTP better come in this week's episodes! 

• Like 6

I like how the reply franchise always choose actors with very unique faces (Seo In Gook, Jung Woo, and now this Ryu Joon Yul). They are not typical flower boys but still manage to capture female hearts through their acting (and their character). They're so overflown with charms, it's so difficult to describe. Personally I don't think Seo In Gook or Ryu Joon Yul look attractive, it's their acting that make them attractive.

With that said, I find Park Bo Gum cute and good looking, his chemistry with Hyeri is good. But on character-wise I don't think DS and Taek are compatible. There are more dynamic in case of Jung Hwan and DS more, just like BR and SW, the kind of opposite attraction? 

When I first start watching, I feel like if Taek was portrayed by someone else that's not Park Bo Gum, he wouldn't have gather so much attention, because frankly, I thought Taek's character was cute but boring. Park Bo Gum himself created already quite a buzz prior to the premiere that's why people was being patient with the character Taek even hoping PBG would get more lines. 

My only ship is BoraxSunWoo, and from a point of a neutral shipper toward the love triangle, I think Junghwan would be the chosen one here. Shippers can distinguish between shipping DSxTaek and shipping PBGxHyeri. I ship PBGxHyeri too, they have the most natural interactions behind the scenes because they're about same age and seems closer than everyone else. But DSxTaek is not convincing to me, yet.

• Like 14

Guest kdramaobsessed_sara

Rewatching the 1st episode and I'm reminded why I hate Bora. I know she studied hard to get to Seoul National University and she chose to major in Math Education so as not to burden her parents.. BUT those reasons do not give her (or anyone) any right to harass any of her family members. SHE'S JUST SO DAMN RUDE. AND HER BEING SPOILED JUST DOESN'T SIT WELL WITH ME. How can you ask your parents for a new pair of glasses when they couldn't even afford your sibling's uniform/tuition fee?

@kaqueski I agree with you, and I think that in our hearts no matter who we ship, we all kinda have an idea of who te husband will be already if we've watched the previous franchises of Reply. I feel like people finding the slightest nuances to justify their delusional shipper hearts are only doing it more because they like the actor who plays the character, not because it actually fits with the trajectory of the story and where the drama is naturally leading us to.

I believe Shin PD is very intentional with the scenes that he shows, including how they are framed, etc. He is also so good at conveying to the audience what may be red herrings, that is, if the audience chooses to not be delusional. I believe that a lot of us have learned about delusional shipping in AM1994, no? I made clear not to specifically mention any ships here to avoid stirring any pots that may have been boiling already. LOL

• Like 6

Yeah, I also think it is a typo. The concert Bora and SW went to see is in January of 1989 (you can see it on the poster thingy when they run inside) and the tickets JH has and which he looks at at the end of episode 10 is for New Year Eve but the Korean one (Solal) and is in February of 1989 (you can see the date on it).

@kdramaobsessed_sara I would agree with you but I think there is more to her. I think there might be something. I liked how she mentioned DS and her shoes when talking to the guys, how they should be grateful especially DR since he is wearing all those brands. It is true she comes off harsh, too harsh but there definitely is a soft side to her. She cares more than she lets appear. I think there might be a reason why... Maybe we'll see taht in the future.

• Like 5

tvN%20%201988.E10.151205.MEMORY.HDTV.H26

While watching the episode I couldn't help but notice this. What a lovely photo. Mi-ran and Sung-Gyun are my favorite older couple in 1988 series (I love Dong-il and Il-hwa but I guess I prefer them in R1994), and Kim's family has the best members and the best moments imo. 

And who else can match this well with Kim Jung-bong and Kim Sung-gyun oddness? :D 

jungbong_zpsjh0kgjgu.gif

Hopefully Man-ok will become their family member too. Just imagine how crazy it will get.

• Like 14

@kdramaobsessed_sara...Me too! I tried but couldn't get myself to warm upto BoRa's character. I'm the eldest sibling and even though I had my share of petty fights with my younger sis, I could never bring myself to be as rude or selfish as BoRa is shown. She may have a warm heart, but her actions are annoying. The yellow Jacket that she "borrowed" from DS, without lending DS the promised white dress ...she should be the last one to act that way given the colossal tantrum she threw when DS wore her denim jacket. The ciggie that she doused in DS's dessert so that she could look like an angelic non-smoker in front of her hubby (in 2015 scenario). Also, what irked me in is how BR simply chose Taek and DS to stay behind without asking their opinion about staying back at the beach. DS is way kinder and  understanding than her BR unni. I tend to fast forward SW/BR scenes.... Noeul , on the other hand is a much sweeter dongsaeng....

• Like 6

I searched but couldn't find anything, thought maybe he can be future DR if he is an actor and still active 

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 3

@wasted_youth must agree with you. Because i have the same thought. Kim  is my family is my favorite one in this series. I love the dynamic between the family member. Love all the characteristic from each member. They are so lovely and admirable as one family or as a character itself. 

@blue_angel_1004 thanks for the background information that you shared.  I always have interested about a new knowledge because it add my own knowledge about the real history in this drama. I noticed the newspaper and shin hae chul part but dont time to do such a research  like yourself. Thanks for sharing this knowledge. At least beside watching a drama we can get the new knowledge.

22 minutes ago, onlysb1 said:

I searched but couldn't find anything, thought maybe he can be future DR if he is an actor and still active 

Hide contents

image.png

Jang Kook Young is the Koreanized pronunciation of the name of Hong Kong actor Leslie Cheung. He was the actor in movies like Better Luck Tomorrow and A Chinese Ghost Story, which were extremely popular in Korea in the 80s. Unfortunately, he has already passed away after committing suicide. 

• Like 7

@blue_angel_1004 Thanks, also for sharing background informations. It's very nice to know little details and this drama has plenty of them. I always look into history beforehand watching seaguk drama just to relate more but in this case that's not possible at least we can discover it later ^^ 

• Like 1

Mr. Kim told his wife that he has only loved one woman in episode 10.  I thought that was sweet.  Will JH be the same?

• Like 8

@blue_angel_1004Thanks so much for all those little facts! I miss viki for that, they used to give us facts about the references and all...

@honeywell I would love to hear about how those two met and all!

2 hours ago, kdramaobsessed_sara said:

Rewatching the 1st episode and I'm reminded why I hate Bora. I know she studied hard to get to Seoul National University and she chose to major in Math Education so as not to burden her parents.. BUT those reasons do not give her (or anyone) any right to harass any of her family members. SHE'S JUST SO DAMN RUDE. AND HER BEING SPOILED JUST DOESN'T SIT WELL WITH ME. How can you ask your parents for a new pair of glasses when they couldn't even afford your sibling's uniform/tuition fee?

Haha I completely understand you, I hated how loud she is :P Here is my 2 cents on Bora after 10 episodes:

Spoiler

I believe, Bora unni character is built as exaggerate as they can to make DS's life more miserable and as sympathetic as possible (because DS is the main character here). The first episode really highlight DS's struggle as a middle kid. There are a lot of things Bora said just to richard simmons off her younger sis rather than mean it (when she asked for the new glasses, we never see that she actually got new one, but her parents definitely soften up when they hear she requested one therefore making DS more pissed). There's a reason why DS introduced Bora as someone who is the most influential in the house because whatever she says will be consider more seriously. Even the people in the neighbourhood scares of her and think she's intimidating, Bora doesn't even care about her image one bit. 

I also cringe about the part the two sisters fight over shared clothes and makeup, especially that time when DS has to run from school to give her sis the denim jacket. I think that part suppose to be comical, but really no one finds it funny :))) it's a bit over the top and at times tiring.

Bora especially react strongly when her sis speak to her with no respect (she's one of those who's head strong about hierarchy, which is ironic that she get together with someone who's younger--Sunwoo--and maybe even marry him, who knows). Besides, I'm pretty sure DS has inferiority complex when it comes to Bora due to the constant comparison between the two girls. Thats why it hurts so bad when her first crush actually like Bora but it seems they're kinda okay with each other now?

But, I'm glad they didn't just use Bora only for the sake of Deoksun's misery. She would get character development too :D and even a loveline of her own, which I'm excited because I start to like her when she takes part in the demonstration (in Korea history, young educators and student demonstration play big role in the development of democrats in South Korea, the Gwangju massacre is really big sacrifices for the country). So yes I do find her courage admirable and that she does fight for something she strongly believes in. She's the kind that try to be TOO rational for her own good. 

I think she'd be a horrible teacher though (judging on the tutor session with the kids) and there's no way she should pursue education (or is it to emphasize the mind set of old fashion educating back in the 80-90s: memorize as much facts in school as you can rather than teach to understand?) Her original dream about being prosecutor and law seems a better fit, she has loud voice so people will definitely listen when she talks, lolol.

I start to like her even more ever since SunWoo confessed to her (partly because I like Sunwoo, and it's like a Sunwoo effect). Bora turns Sunwoo down every single time he tries to get close. Yet Bora still shows she cares and cannot totally ignore him, which SunWoo catches on quickly and thus he doesn't stop trying (this is what Bora pointed out in her confession). And I love how Bora try to rational with Sunwoo about his feeling, that it's his puberty, then ends up admitting that she never yells at him compare to the other kids because he's a good kid, and that she likes him as a person. Here comes the decisive fact: Bora doesn't want to lose SunWoo as being stranger with him and request to go back as they were. But Sunwoo insist on crossing the line, I think Sunwoo is already so experienced lol, he's not a mere 18 years old for being so faithful like this lol, no wonder he can slay a nuna like Bora (and me).
Bora is even more tsundere than Jung Hwan, so a persistence guy like SunWoo definitely helps :)))) 

• Like 16

One of the many things I love about reply 1988 is how all of the characters are layered. DS originally seemed like an outgoing, carefree teenage girl who craved for love and familial support. Period. But then we realized that underneath her happy-go-lucky surface was a sweet, selfless, kind girl to whom putting others needs before hers was a definite thing and she would never think to question it. I also used to hate Bora, until the scenes where she defended JB from being bullied and where she surrendered to the police when she saw that her mom was hurt won me over. I still do get annoyed at her sometimes though. :/  SW doesn't have many layers (he wears all of his goodness on the outside), and DR didn't seem to either, until we were shown his strange wisdom and he ran away from home because his parents didn't seem to love him. After that, he seemed more like a real, relatable person rather than just another childhood friend on the block. TK took us completely by surprise by seeming to be a cute, helpless little boy but turning out to be mature person who knows what he wants (and smokes. Why do you smoke?!?!?! Sorry.) JH is a classic tsundere with a surprising touch of gentle, thoughtful, and caring-ness. It's kind of like biting into a chocolate expecting a walnut inside but getting creamy caramel instead. XD 

• Like 12

The story will jump to year 1994 from ep 15

http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20151209070615601

At this point, let's check the study plan again!

tumblr_nz2cbxgrg71uavo0oo1_400.jpg

According to Deoksun's study plan, 'trigonometrical function' is from 9 to 12 o'clock. So the love triangle will be settled down at ep12. 

From 12 o'clock it's lunch, relative pronoun and relative adverb. So I guess ep13~14 are some sweet moments and major progress (either in positive or negative way) in their relationship.

It seems 'Study of world history' from about 15 o'clock. After time jump in ep15, they all will scatter out to their own worlds.

• Like 19