[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to edit in my pics now and it took me 5-6 retry.... Everytime I edited in new pic, other pic disappeared! Seriously it was so I almost wanted to give up soompi :angry: But yeah I finished the trans of the color theory above, I didn´t trans everything though.

Other doll appearances:

For some reason... is that the red doll sitting on Noeul's teacher's desk?????
160e7mc.png
Does anyone have any theories about this? Could it be because Taek is red and DS's dad favors Taek as son-in-law? Taek is coming back to school?

And later we see that three of the dolls are still on Taek's shelf, but no longer in the basket.

35c4osh.png

I actually didn't like Park Bo Gum at all in his previous drama (I Remember You). IMHO, he was overacting. But every time Taek appears on screen it feels like being punched in the gut. He is just so sad. I can only hope that he won't be a part of 'guess the husband' theme, because Jung Hwan is the husband and I don't  want to see Taek even more depressed than he already is. That would be too heartbreaking.

I would tend to agree with you even though there were some special moments in "I Remember You(/Hello Monster)" in which you could totally see the potential. All in the eyes and in the silences... He definitely has a special talent for acting without much communication. I want to see more of Taek, even if it means heartbreak: maybe that will bring him out of his shell a bit more? In order to suffer to have to experience something meaningful... No? That said, I don't want him to suffer too much either!!!

I don't mind as long as the scripwriter doesn't overdo it. For example in AM 1997 Joonhee's one-sided love was bittersweet, while in 1994 Chilbong's story was just brutal (on top of not getting the girl his parents didn't love him and his 'friends' wouldn't even remeber his birthday).

Other doll appearances:

For some reason... is that the red doll sitting on Noeul's teacher's desk?????
http://i65.tinypic.com/160e7mc.png
Does anyone have any theories about this? Could it be because Taek is red and DS's dad favors Taek as son-in-law? Taek is coming back to school?

And later we see that three of the dolls are still on Taek's shelf, but no longer in the basket.

Korean's are speculating that green (Junghwan), yellow (Deoksun) and red (Taek) are the major people involved in the loveline, and I just noticed but in Taek's room the dolls are yellow, green and red.

More emphasize on red green and yellow:

wcg7rd.jpg

2hh0m8j.png

2cy44z4.png

2a0waf.png

wqud7s.png

2em0qbd.jpg

And it seems Koreans had their own color theory for Reply1994 where the husband is green (Trash). But I don't know about that one cause I didn't follow R94.

Taek, Deok-Sun and Junghwan would be sooo good.  People are set on Junghwan right now (myself included),  but Taek is such a lonely little puppy with the ability to move people that he could really throw a wrench in the husband plans. I hope the color theories are right.  Sunwoo and DS just don't fit to me and the Bora crush seems obvious.  I also think Deok-sun's crush for Sunwoo will be more about the sisters and their dynamic together than about anything else.  Deok-Sun doesn't ever get anything she wants, while her sister gets everything and having her "crush" like her sister is bound to lead to some hurt feelings.  It could also lead to some growth for the sisters as well so they can get along better. 

Anyway, I also get the feeling Taek is going back to school and will be changing some. 

Guest beastrbae

Wow, thanks for all those insightful clues and opinions guys. Damn those theories are interesting.. If it is really going to be a JH-DS-TK triangle, I'm going to be so conflicted but in a good way of course ( just like in Sassy Go Go ). After all we have 16 episodes left to go, plenty more of drama to ensue. 

Taek, Deok-Sun and Junghwan would be sooo good.  People are set on Junghwan right now (myself included),  but Taek is such a lonely little puppy with the ability to move people that he could really throw a wrench in the husband plans. I hope the color theories are right.  Sunwoo and DS just don't fit to me and the Bora crush seems obvious.  I also think Deok-sun's crush for Sunwoo will be more about the sisters and their dynamic together than about anything else.  Deok-Sun doesn't ever get anything she wants, while her sister gets everything and having her "crush" like her sister is bound to lead to some hurt feelings.  It could also lead to some growth for the sisters as well so they can get along better. 

Anyway, I also get the feeling Taek is going back to school and will be changing some. 

so true..people are focusing more on JH and SW forgetting that TK is in the race. Haha..i actually think TK is gonna be the hubby. So glad he's going back to school.

Honestly for the husband game of throne, I don't rely so much on clues (it's a lot of work, sometimes a headache, and I legit don't notice production things unless it's flashing with neon lights saying "look at me" also this years dollies terrify me. I still do enjoy reading theories and seeing other people's detective work). I think on what I've learn about basic methodology of good storytelling. All stories have 3 basic arcs, Setup/beginning, climax/conflict/confrontation, and resolution with a whole bunch of incidents and obstacles thrown in each part. R97, setup: character(s) and place intro, basic fundamental story arc is laid; meet girl and boy and all their friends. Boy and girl have been friends for years. Boy likes girl but girl is undecided, will or hero ever win our heroine's heart? (major events: the kiss, should I date her or not?). Ccc: boy is going to confess and make girl his but conflict, a third party has come into play. Boy admits his feelings but goes away. Who will girl choose? Will time and distance allow for a change of heart? (major event: d-day, puppy, birthday party confession). Resolution: kdrama fate brings boy and girl into same coffee shop. Feelings have not changed, said feels are admitted, kisses and sex, and they lived happily ever after (major events: no longer necessary but still there brother drama, stairway kiss and confession).  Basically the same thing happens in '94 but that time it was the girl who fell first. Before everyone goes "the writers are repetitive" this be the formula for basically every rom-com ever (and this includes the bickering or opposite attract trope and friends to lovers one too. I can name a thousand dramas, films, shows, and plays since Shakespeare that do this). I also look at the amount of and type of development each character and relationships are given. No writer spends pages and pages or scene after scene allowing you to get to know certain characters, see their dynamic, and basically try to evoke some kind of feelings, response,or understanding, only to drop it completely and switch focus to character, person(s)or situation b. Even with assemble shows we have characters that are in the forefront. They are central and things somehow includes or comes back to them or in someways revolves around them. The setup lets you know who these people are within like 10-20 minutes of the pilot/first episode (Lost, Jack and Kate). Also foreshadowing. 

Parents of Rseries relationships are important giveaways of the husband endgame and relationships to come. Shiwon and Yoonjae as well as Najeong and Trash dynamics were similar to our DongIlHwa parents. Episode 4 was all about "grass is greener on the other side" but seeing/appreciating what's right in front of you as the best. DS's mom was basically jealous of JH's dad (and any guy who seemingly treated their significant other better than she felt she was) who is loving and doting towards his wife and kids. The grass is greener on the upstairs side and she doesn't see or appreciate the just right for her husband in front of her. She takes the seemingly perfect but turns out to be broken umbrella. Just when she thinks all is lost with seemingly negligent husband (as he had been all ep) who has left her behind so a soaking walk in the rain awaits her; he comes back to share his umbrella. His gesture shows he's always mindful of her and is there when she truly needs him. The grass may or may not be greener on the other side  but what she needs and suits her is right in front of her. She need only to see/appreciate his sprinkled gestures. The same is true of DS and Junghwan this ep. DS is only looking at Sunwoo (her greener pastures) and doesn't seem to see Junghwan and the little things he does. Like their umbrella scene (umbrella, umbrella major event). Junghwan is waiting for her (even if he says he's not) but she only sees/stays waiting for Sunwoo. She leaves when she's informed he's left eons ago. Had she stayed with Junghwa and left together with him she wouldn't have needed her umbrella (stayed dry like dad did for mom). The whole parallel is much more clear with the bus scene. All ep Junghwan had seen DS tumbling and falling time and time again. She even reaches out for Junghwan (like mom wanting to be feed) but he's neglectful and let's her fall. It isn't until the end that he strains with all his might to keep them both standing and DS is not aware/can't appreciate who it is until she looks back at who's been there. The order the writers had that scene is important. It could have come at any time before (twice actually) but came after mom and dad's rain scene to hopefully drive home a point. Then again their are dramas frakin Minrae's Indecision where writers throw out good story telling along with stories setup, progression, and development all to please a few loud and vocal fans!!! (Yeah I'm still not over the potential the story had and how it all went to waste. You can't throw out your stories premises the last 6 eps!! It's called Minrae's Decision. She cannot not make a decision!) 

@princeye0l the chocolate, I'm going with what has been shown/explained on that. DS left the chocolate for Sunwoo her crush. Her husband doesn't know about it because she didn't give it to him, because he's not her first love/crush. He's the one rembering things right while she and her carbon monoxide inhaled brain is either remembering wrong (it had been some 27 years) or is blatantly lying as to diffuse a potential argument/fit of jealousy cause I notice guys get pretty hung up on significant others and their significant first (kdrama especially enjoys the theme of the almighty first loves). Husband doesn't know who the first crush/love is because DS never wrote his name in her diary. After her sister reads her entry on giving said first the chocolates, DS sees the easy way anyone in the household but especially her sister could read her diary and gain potential blackmail material or secrets they threaten to tell or do tell. To be safe rather than sorry DS doesn't name names or uses secret code or initial or something in her entries. Perhaps her husband read one juicy page, ain't had the time or desire to read his wife's 18 year old thoughts and learn things he can never unsee/read so he read no more after the romance novel chocolate to crush entry. Why doesn't hubby still know who the candy was for if he is one of the core 4? Sunwoo never told the for 4 about that or other chocolate deliveries from his secret admirer or even that he has or had an admirer, just as he's yet to share with them his supposed crush on Bong. Ooooorrr, I been watching the drama wrong and got things all twisted. 

More empathize on colors. Again see the mirror (coincidence much?):

egwuae.jpg

wvvdio.jpg

The cube Taek completed 

15hlvr9.jpg

Human traffic light hyung 

id8301.jpg

fxtt9k.jpg

I also saw some theories about the date and timeline for our drama. Not sure if I'll understand the post with my limited Korean or not. But the post has hundred of upvotes which is a lot for a DC post. 

- And I agree with the post above that DS is too fixated on the grass on the other side (SW), that she can't see JH is right in front of her and always taking care of her, even if it's the small things like the umbrella or making sure she's not falling on the bus.

But so far I love how all the families and other characters are giving as much thought and care, not just the main couple and loveline. I think this drama will be a really heartwarming one about family and friends, not just romance.

I don't mind as long as the scripwriter doesn't overdo it. For example in AM 1997 Joonhee's one-sided love was bittersweet, while in 1994 Chilbong's story was just brutal (on top of not getting the girl his parents didn't love him and his 'friends' wouldn't even remeber his birthday).

Yeah, the whole CB thing got really out of hands and I do think the writers realized the mistakes they made. I was quite traumatized with the whole thing I must say... But he whole emphasis on family and friends of R1988 is certainly a way to attenuate the love line a bit. Good call I say.

Wow, all those hints... I am looking forward to seeing how it is all going to play out! I am a little wary of signs though. Again, trauma of R1994 ;) ha ha

I am quite curious about what a love line Between DS and Taek would be to be honest. The DS-JH one is pretty obvious but with Taek there is something quite mysterious there...

Oh did you notice that all husbands smoke in the Reply series? I can't help thinking that this is a little sign indicating that it is not SW afterall. Ciggies were found in his room but there were not his, they were JH's mother. I think it might come back to play a role in all of it.

While the dolls theory is interesting. They look scary as heck :sweatingbullets:

I am interested to see if Taek is indeed the real competitor to Jung Hwan. So far while I like his character like it is without any love angle, it would be interesting to see Taek develop to become more normal if he is the husband like in the future.

Reply 1988 timeline, from DC source: 

10 years ago:
- Taek mom passed away
- Taek and his dad moved to Ssangmundong
- Taek broke his arm Deoksun carried him

May 1985:
- Jeongbong won 1st place Olympic Lottery

Ssangmungo day excursion, 1987:
- Sunwoo, DongRyong and Junghwan won 1st at dance competition

Thursday, August 4, 1988:
- Deoksun met Junghwan and the guys at Brazil Dukbokki store
- Miok to Deoksun: "I think he (Sunwoo) likes you"?
<Evening:>
- Sunwoo visit Deoksun to borrow the white
<9:20PM:>
- Deokson have family dinner (watch MBC incident)
- Sunwoo pays another visit and ask out for ramen
- Gang gathered at Taek´s room and eat ramen
<Night:>
- Deoksun practiced at night for picket 

Thursday September 8, 1988 (the seventh lunar month 28) = 1988 Seoul Olympics D-9 = Dad´s pay day:
<6PM>
- Gang gathered at Taek´s room and watched A Better Tomorrow 2 movie
<About 7PM>
- Sharing dinner dishes between the families
- Dinner time between family
- Deoksun practice picket and hit Bora´s head

Friday, September 9, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-8:
<Morning>
- Deoksun fried egg incident
- Each of Ssangmundong childrens went to school 
<About 6PM>
- Dinner at Ssangmundong, something about Junghwan wallet (?)
<About 7PM>
- Ahjummas chatting, and Dongil and Sungyun got home from work

Saturday, September 10, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-7:
<Lunch>
- Dongryong and Junghwan Brazil Dukbokki robber incident
- [HOME] Sunwoo shaving wound that he hides from his mother
- Dongil and his son eating olympic ice cream incident
<Evening>
Deoksun practice picket in white korean hanbok

Sunday, September 11, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-6:
- Deoksun practice picket 

Monday, September 12, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-5:
- Deoksun practice picket today too

Tuesday, September 13, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-4:
- Deoksun practicee picket at Jamsil Main stadion 
- Miran Junghwan mom find out about his shoes that was stolen
<Evening>
- Junghwan mum tried to talk to him about the shoe incident
- Deoksun practice picket in the yard and Kim Sajang greeting with Junghwan´s father
- Junghwan dad bought Deoksun chicken

Wednesday, September 14, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-3 = Bora´s birthday = Sunwoo´s dad death anniversary:
- Deoksun picket interview, learned that Madagascar not participate in Olympics 
<9:40PM>
- Sunwoo mom finds cigarettes in his room
- Bora and Deoksun birthday party, Deoksun sad explosion 
- Sunwoo and mom confront about the wound and cries together

- Sunwoo´s dad death memorial

Saturday, September 17, 1988, Seoul Olympics D-Day = Deoksun´s birthday = Sunwoo´s birthday:
<11:30AM>
- Deoksun Uganda picket TV appearance
- Sungyun, Junghwan´s dad record Deoksun´s olympic apperance
- Junghwan slight smile at Deoksun (+남편미소 피식) = husband hunt??
<11:35PM about>
- Miran talk to Junghwan and learn he´s 1st at school and he ask for shoes

- Sunwoo bathhouse with uncle
- Dolly supermarket scene with Dad, celebrating Deoksun birthday with cake

Friday, September 23, 1988:
<Evening>
- Sungyun testing his camera, and Junghwan ask him to stop filming
- Junghwan says Deoksun touching food with hand is gross
- Deoksun and Bora sleep with their grandmother

Saturday, Sept 24, 1988:
<Morning>
- Deoksun´s grandmother return home
- Deoksun steal her sister´s jean jacket 
<1PM about>
- Bora return home
<1:45PM about>
- Deoksun arrive home and return jacket
<About 2PM>
- Gang arrive at Junghwan´s home to celebrate Taek´s winning championship in Baduk
<2:30PM>
- Deoksun put chocolate in Sunwoo´s bag

Monday, october 3, 1988:
<Morning 6:30>
- Deoksun and Bora morning fight
<9:50AM>
- Sunwoo, Dongryong, Junghwan eat lunch 
<Lunch>
- Junghwan, Dongryong, Sunwoo play soccer with crazy dog sunbae
- Deoksun learn news of her grandmother passed away
<Evening>
Deoksun, Bora and Noeul, took the train/bus to grandmother´s funeral
- Dongryong, Sunwoo and Junghwan sneak to the cinema to watch 19+ movie

Tuesday, Octorber 4, 1988:
<About 8PM>
- Sunwoo, Dongryong and Junghwan try enter movie 19+ with millitary uniform

- Junghwan punch crazy dog sunbae

- Still Deoksun grandmother funeral, her uncle arrive from America (? I might mix up his arrive) 

Wednesday, Octorober 5, 1988:

- Deoksun grandmother funeral finished
- Taek birthday 
<6PM>
- Taek won another championship

Taek birthday:
<Morning>
Enter via Gimpo airport
<Evening>
- Taek is drinking buddy to Deoksun´s dad. "I miss my mom everyday"

- Taek birthday party 
- Bora read Deoksun diary

Wednesday, October 12, 1988:
<Evening>
- Deoksun dad arrives home with herbs/vegetables (?)

Thursday, October 13 1988:
<Lunch>
- Deoksun dance practice with Miok and Jaehyon, 
<Evening>
Dance practice with Dongryong, Junghwan and Sunwoo
<7:30PM about>
- Deoksun dad arrive home with a baby/meditation cassette tape
<Night>
- Deoksun mom and Junghwan mum has a drink, and JH mom give money in envelope to DS mom

Friday, October 14, 1988:
<7:15AM about>
- Mom gives Deoksun the family treasured camera

- Deoksun leave camera on train
<Evening>
- Miok, Jahyeon broke arm and leg accident

Saturday, October 15, 1988:
- Junghwan entrust his liqour to Deoksun
- Deoksun ask Dongryong for favor, in dance competition
- Deoksun and Dongryong at Kim Soo Roo king store, and leave behind JH liqour
<About 9PM>
- Deoksun dad had to go to Noeol school

- Dongryong, Junhwan, Sunwoo perform dance show
- Deoksun introduce Miok, Jahyeon to the guys

- The guys was chased by DongRyong dad and JH&DS hide in narrow alley
<Night>
- Deoksun sleeps well
- Junghwan can´t sleep

Sunday, October 16, 1988:
- Deoksun return home with back scratcher gift to her parents
- Deoksun, Junghwan backhug scene
- Deoksun mom hit Junghwan head by accident

Monday, October 17, 1988:
<Night>
- Briquette carbon monoxide incident and Deoksun escape alone

Tuesday, November 1, 1988:
<Morning>
- Deoksun walkman to school
- Sunwoo bring salt flavored egg to school
- Junghwan goes to school with Jordan shoes

Wednesday, November 2, 1988:
- Deoksun announce she will go to college
- Deoksun try baduk with Taek, but gives up

Thursday, November 3, 1988:
<Evening>
Deoksun parents and Junghwan parents dinner 

- Deoksun help Taek open youghurt, and Taek help her w/the cube
- Jeongbong too try the cube, and Junghwan use stopwatch (?)

Saturday, November 5, 1988 = Miran birthday
<Morning>
- Sungyun is making seaweed soup for Miran, Junghwan´s mom
- Deoksun rip Junghwan´s shirt on the bus
<Evening>
- Miran, Junghwan mom appears like a cheetah lol
- Deoksun parents argue
- Junghwan family dinner at restaurant

<7:05PM>
- Sunwoo find candy gifts left behind by Deoksun

- Junghwan, Sunwoo listen to radio and hear news of Taek loosing in competition
<7:35PM>
- Sunyeong, Sunwoo mom, Junghwan making kimchi pancake for Taek? (I didn´t´watch ep4 yet so idk)
- Junghwan respond so Kim Sajang joke from his father.
- Sunwoo visit Deoksun house and ask to lend lead for pencil 
- Taek is home and practice baduk (?)

Sunday, November 6, 1988:
- Taek goes to practice
- Bora study sessions
- The guys come to Taek and cheer him up tín the evening

Mid-November, 1988:
<Morning>
- Junghwan wait for Deoksun with umbrella 
- Junghwan is Deoksun´s dark knight on the buss

November 2015:
Lee Mi Yeon and Kim Joo Hyuk is husband and wife

DC source: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=43752&page=1&recommend=1
-
Okay this was super long and I didn´t even trans every single thing on the dates... I find some interesting things on the timeline though. But yeah it´s not 100% correct probably since I´m not fluent in Korean. If anyone spot anything wrong just correct me.

Daebak.... all the theory about dolls , colors... bla bla... i gues im just like DS , simple minded... for me its obviously JH.... and the other guy is TK. Eventhou i love TK, but i cant see DS didnt fall in love with JH... like, girl, the guy is just right for u.. hes not perfect but he look sincerely in love with her.

The crush on SW is just cover up. She didnt even like SW like that until her friends  told her nonsense. Like come on.... SW is just being SW.

And what im afraid the most TK's death... u know i just got this feeling...starting from DS introduced him in ep2.. the song.. the lyrics of the song.. they even played the song's instrument when TK cursed and laughing... its looked funny but it just feel sad deep inside..im afraid TK having headache might have to do with his health... idk... i will kill the writer if she kill my TK..

and about TK's loveline with DS, i think TK liked DS since they were kids. Just that DS doesnt hv boyfriend that he didnt get stimulated to do something about his feeling.. as usual expressionless ....but most of all i will think he liked DS firstly because DS treat him really well, and he just need a mother figure by his side.. 

@Love1403 Is it possible to ask you to translate the last part starting from 3. on the post? xD I can't copy/paste the thing into google translate for some reason and it's the only part I haven't seen/ don't really understand. Please and thank you <3

You can read this post: http://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/346174-current-drama-2015-answer-me-1988-응답하라-1988/?do=findComment&comment=19372881

Which is very well explained on Bora-Sunwoo love line. And the other mentions on the blog post is that Sunwoo keep having his eyes fixated on Bora when he visit Deoksun house to borrow white, and ask them out for ramen etc. And also that the bandage they have on their chin is 100% similar to each others, and that Sunwoo really pay close attention to Bora. As in he recognize her jeans jacket, and that Bora will take away DS walkman player if she sees it etc. And Sunwoo was extra fixated on his look when he went to Bora´s torturing class, as in he wore jeans jacket that was still wet etc :P 

I have wondered for a while if the actors that play some of these characters were to do a role change would the viewer reaction be the same? Like say DongRyong's actor was Taek and Taek was DR. Because no one assumes DR would be husband even though they interact so much.:P

Would people still ship DS and Taek? Would they like DR and DS more? It is kinda funny because sometimes looks play a role. DR helps DS alot as well.

Archived