[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Spoiler

May I add a couple of notes to the dramabeans’ recap of Episode 14?  I know many of the posters here in soompi rely on that site to form their opinions. Caveat: This is a long post so feel free to skip.

First commentary:

According to dramabeans, TK said this:  “I just like her. I like being with her.” And then he gets all serious as he adds, “I think I might die without her.” 
According to dramafever, this was what TK said: [Addressing the empty space with a smile] I just like her. I just like her when I’m with her. [Pause. He turned to face SW. For a second, he looked confused as if a sudden discovery bewildered him, then he became serious, making eye contact with SW.] When she smiles…I almost feel like I could die.

There’s a difference between dramafever’s and dramabeans’ translations but it works either way for me. 

With dramafever’s subs, the viewers sensed a visceral emotion from him -- not a cold intellectual analysis by some genius. There’s a jarring disconnect in the imagery produced by the words.  Normally, a smile doesn’t trigger thoughts of death, but of life, happiness, and heaven (as in “I feel like I died and went to heaven when I saw him smile.”) Therefore, to say that 999th DS could slay him with a simple smile was most poetic… and painful… considering how often she smiled in his presence. lol. 

As for the dramabeans’ translation, I understand from some posters that TK’s words left an ugly impression that he was a needy young man.  But if I was a TS-DK shipper, I wouldn’t be so sensitive nor be insulted by that kind of observation.  You see, most people missed the connection here.  As dramatic as TK’s declaration sounded, it paralleled the words spoken by DS’ father in the previous episode.  In Episode 13, DS’s father broke down in fear that his wife would die of cancer. He wailed, “I can’t live without her! I can’t.”  Remember that? And do you notice how both these dramatic confessions of the father and TK elicited the same reactions from the best buddies? Both their male audience laughed off their histrionics as one big joke. 

I think the similarity was deliberate. In making TK and the father say the same over-the-top lines about the “great love of their lives”, a connection was established between these two “Supermen”.  [“Superman Returns” was the Episode 13’s title. I have to explain that too another time.] You see, these men have something in common other than Duk-Seung. Both men put on a brave face and try to save the world. In TK’s case, it was the baduk world, and specifically, the Japanese tournament where he won that nondescript trophy. More importantly, they both avowed that their kryptonite was their women.  

Their willingness to declare their true feelings no matter how comical and hysterical they sound is a sign of their bravery. Lesser men would have kept their true feelings to themselves. 

Second commentary: 

The whole DongRyong and DS conversation in Episode 14 may be viewed from a perspective different from that explored in dramabeans. I’ll type the subtitles from dramafever and intersperse my own remarks as I go along. BTW, I’m neither a DS/TK nor DS/JH fangirl. I don’t watch these shows for love-lines. But I do ship scripts, as some old-timer Soompi posters here know. The scriptwriter’s approach to this drama is intriguing but, unfortunately, some points may have been overlooked in the rush to establish and defend coupledoms,  

DS: [sighing]
DR: What’s up with you? Are you shooting a movie? [DR immediately picked up on the mood: DS was acting like a long-suffering drama queen from a makjang.]
DS: Ancestor, there’s something I’m curious about. [The translator most likely meant “O wise and ancient sage!” because DS recognized DR as the group counselor.]
DR: Tell me. [lol. He was already playing up his role as Father Confessor. He’s been effectively eliminated as Future Husband.]
DS: Why doesn’t anyone like me? [DR gave her the side-eye and muttered something in contempt. Of course, he knew of ONE person who liked her but he couldn’t outright tell her. Instead, he did the next best thing: he trolled her.]
DR: Oh! It’s Taek…. Nope, never mind. [Nice move! He covertly disclosed who liked DS by pretending to play a game of “I spy Taek.” He grinned at how clever he was.]
DS: [Notice how DS looked up expectantly?] I’m serious. [Meaning she was having a serious conversation here, so stop it for a second with the childish games.]
DR: I know, I’m serious, too. 
DS: [Looks downcast again.] Why isn’t there anyone? Hmm? I guess I’m a woman who has no right to be loved. [Watch at slight movement of DR’s shoulders. He was restraining himself from laughing at her pity-party.]
DR: Duk Seon.
DS: Yeah? 
DR: Do you like boiled sweet potatoes or baked sweet potatoes?
DS: Boiled sweet potatoes.
DR: Do you like Lee Man Sae or Park Nam Jung?
DS: Park Nam Jung.
DR: Do you like me or Taek?
DS: [without hesitation] Taekie. [Grinning]
DR: How annoying. [It probably pricked his ego that she didn’t equivocate.] You hate me?
DS: No, but I still like Taek more [Smiles again.]
DR: If that’s the case, do you like Jung Hwang or Sung Woo?
DS: Don’t ask questions like that. [Observe DR smile again.]

Let’s pause here and discuss this a bit. 

Why did DR smile here at her response?  Why didn’t he call her out for evading the question? Why didn’t he insist on her giving an honest answer? I think it’s because he was SATISFIED with her response. Her non-answer was, in itself, an answer he wanted, and he smiled because he received confirmation that DS liked TK. TK was ranked one. 

You see, DR forced her to choose one.  Boiled or baked sweet potato? This entertainer or that one? Him or Taek? Without hesitation, she gave her responses. Moreover, when he clarified whether she chose Taek because she disliked him, she readily answered that she liked Taek MORE… which revealed to DR that she was unabashed in her preference for TK.  But if she had so candidly chosen TK over him, why couldn’t she do the same when the choice was either SW or JH?

Really now! If I were DS, my only logical answer was SW. Look: if I truly liked JH, there was no way I’d reveal my crush to that blabbermouth DR. The safe answer was SW to deflect my real feelings. On the other hand, if I felt nothing for JH, then my answer should also have been SW, because SW is a much “likeable” person than JH whom everybody regards as “prickly”.  Remember what the ghost-father of SW asked him earlier in this episode? The ghost-father asked whether JH was still prickly. So even back then, his reputation was known.

See that?

To me, DS halted DR with “Don’t ask questions like that” in order to avoid having divided loyalties/friendships and belaboring the point any further. Besides, as far as she was concerned, those two men “rejected” her -- SW liked her sister, and JH gave the pink shirt to his Hyung – so what was the point of picking one? The way she was feeling at that time, it would have been akin to choosing the lesser “evil." lol. 

To DongRyong, however, the fact TK was DK’s unequivocal choice was all that he needed to know. Although she couldn’t be more explicit in her reasons for liking him, it was sufficient for DR that she had set TK apart from the rest of the gang. It’s in THIS context that he doled out his next advice --

DR: Duk-Seong, how do you feel? Instead of other people liking you, who is it that you like? [She was already grossly mistaken in thinking that NOBODY liked her because there was still Taekie. Instead of worrying needlessly about who liked her, her time would be better spent getting to know the person she does like.]
DR: You’re so clear about the way you like to eat sweet potatoes. [And also about liking Taek, let’s not forget.] But you don’t know what type of person you like? [Meaning, how was it possible that she had no understanding and no awareness of her preferences? Here, DR forgot that the boys had each other to discuss the criteria they found attractive in girls -- for example, aggressive girls like Bora. lol – but DS was excluded from this kind of conversation.]
DR: Duk-Seong…I mean, Soo-Yeon. You can like someone, instead of someone liking you, right? [He was telling her that it was alright to be proactive. She could go ahead and like someone, without worrying or waiting for someone to like her or even to reciprocate her feelings.]

…which brings me to explain a flaw in the DS-JH interaction. 

It seems like many viewers miss seeing this because they consider the swoon-y interactions between the couple as ample evidence of DS’ feelings for JH.  On the contrary, I don’t think that DS had fallen in love with JH – as of Episode 14. DR astutely observed that DS was more worried about being liked than about liking someone.  After getting her heart broken by SW, it was natural for her to be wary of falling for somebody without first getting assurance that her affection will be reciprocated. Since Episode 10, she had been TESTING JH to determine if he liked her.  She’d been making him jump through the hoops, similar to that very first test that she did in Episode 10 when she asked him whether he minded her going on a blind date. 

Do you recognize the pattern here?

1. asking him if he minded her going out on a blind date. According to her friends, if he tried to stop her, that meant he really liked her. (ep 10)
2. bugging him to go to the Lee Man-Se concert, even in her sleep (ep 11).  I think, in her mind, if she was able to convince him to go with her, then that was another sign that he liked her. This would explain why there was curiously NO scene showing her excitement or her preparations for the concert after all the fuss she made to get him to change his mind; that scene would have been moot.  
3. dressing up prettily and “accidentally” joining him on the bus. She wanted him to notice her new and improved image. (ep 12)
4. glancing to see if he was jealous when her middle school friend talked with her after the concert (ep 13)
5. pretending to have an injured ankle to see what he’d do [in kdrama, she would have been given a piggy-back, instead she got a hand and nagging.] (ep 13)
6. using her aegyo to make him agree to a rewatch of Top Gun (ep 14)
7. making him wear a PINK shirt [I’m sorry, ladies, but this was clearly a set-up. Remember, the shirt was chosen by Mi-Ok. It wasn’t a “personal” gift because she DIDN’T pick it out herself. Nor was this a “couple” gift to match the pink gloves she received for Christmas. This shirt was a test. She wanted to see if he liked her enough to wear the shirt to his birthday party. That was why she told her friends, “I guess I was wrong again this time.” When she mistakenly thought that JH gave the shirt to the Hyung, she determined that JH didn’t like her because he failed the test.] (ep 14)

lol. Our young DS had an agenda or an ulterior motive. She wanted to make sure that JH liked her BEFORE she would fall for him. This was understandable precaution after the SW fiasco. She wanted assurances that she was liked.  Had she really loved JH to begin with, all these tests and petty games would have been unnecessary. She would have simply followed her heart and spontaneously showed her affections. 

That’s why I find DR’s counsel to focus on getting to know who she likes quite interesting. DR hadn’t a clue about the on-going dynamics between JH and DS so he couldn’t possible foresee the repercussion of his advice on DS/TK/JH's relationships. The upcoming episodes should sail or moor the respective couple ships temporarily until the next twist in the drama.    

[DR sighing]
DR: Kids nowadays only know about the here and the now. They don’t know about life. But you know don’t know about any of these [Meaning, she has neither an understanding of what’s right under her nose nor a grasp of the big picture.] so what is it that you do know. What’s up with you? I swear…[Stop to see TK]. Hurry, get up!
DS: Are we going somewhere?
DR: Pizza’s here [Speaking of the devil…]
DS: [Smiles]

DR: How many pizzas did you order?
TK: Five.
DR: You’re definitely rich.
TK: I figured you wouldn’t be able to eat with us since you got out late. So I bought each one of you a pizza to eat home. [This is interesting. TK was now mindful of other people’s schedules and he was planning things.]
DR: Taek, let’s get married. [Troll! This was an inside joke between the guys because the girl Taek liked was right beside them, and they knew that she wouldn’t get it. What DR was hinting at was TK was a husband material because of his earning potential.]
TK: No, thank you.
DS: Go home, he needs to sleep. [Acting wife-y here]
DR: Okay, see you later. I’m going to eat this by myself.
DS: I’m going to go home, too.
TK: [grabbing hold of her sleeve] Go later. 

That’s it for now. Feel free to agree or disagree, ladies. Or to ignore. :)

Will post later to list some reasons why people generally think JH is the husband. I believe I saw somebody query this in an earlier post. Somebody named @minibunny, I think. 

Shoutout to @shooastrid. Thanks for the baduk explanation. Will post some comments about that too. 

Hi @packmule3! Thanks for your post. THIS IS IT. Your commentary is spot-on, voicing exactly how I feel from watching that episode. Not to mention that you are very structured in explaining your interpretation. 

I agree that many people who commented that Taek was sort of clingy and over the top with his confession to SW about his feelings for DS may have missed the connection with the Superman Returns episode. The ability to voice out how you feel is an act of bravery in itself. Now if it comes from just any other teenager, we probably can safely disregard such sentiment as coming of age angst. However since it comes from Taek who is more mature in many sense compared to his friends (albeit very clumsy and silly), who is normally calm and reserved but can be blunt at times, I can't help but wondering the depth of the seemingly casual confession.

@Meliere also made great analysis in Shipping Paradise thread about why many people can't grasp Taek's character right away based on our expectation of male hero. He's full of contradictions in regards of the conventional/ traditional male hero body. I am quoting it here :

Spoiler

It is a universe supported by recognizable rules and conventions, and one largely favorable to a female perspective.  Things "meant to be" really wrap up in a nice happy ending, and the kdrama world is one in which women are consistently rewarded for their emotional sincerity-- and consistently delivered their desires/fantasies/dream-scenarios. 

This is the virtue of genre. It delivers expectations. Period. You know if you pick up a dystopian YA novel you will get thrills and danger and rebellion and adventure. You know if you pick up a romance you'll get the romance. In the real world where most of our expectations and hopes are merely echoes in the void, the massive comfort of having all your expectations met is the reason why genre-centric works of fiction are so popular and well-beloved. 

Finally, back to Taek. The 'problem' with Taek is that as a character he tends to fall short many genre expectations. The two 'bones' the writer threw out to hook viewers are these: 1. rich 2. genius. We all know the rich genius is a genre thing in romance & kdramas. But if we look at all the geniuses in dramaland ("I remember you", "Naeil's Cantabile", "Liar Game", "Yong Pal"), they tend to be slick Byronic heros with all the trappings of a sexy dark masculine alpha male-- mysterious wounded past, angsty, looks hot & styled to perfection, totally cool and not awkward. 

In a kdrama universe populated by kdrama heroes so perfect they are basically inhuman, the very human and very flawed Taek stands out like an ugly duckling. Having gone to school with people similar to Taek in mental ability (lol I've got a buddy who can solve a rubik's cube one handed & blind folded after memorizing its initial pattern; another dude in my dorm won gold in the international math olympiad), I can say that PBG's performance as Taek is 80% true to life (usual kdrama geniuses = 1% true to life). He is written with so much depth and 3-dimensionality that his whole character feels like a love letter to the burdens and joys of genius. But as a kdrama hero, he is problematic in that he is sending out confusing genre signals. Should viewers root for him as male lead when he is not necessarily giving out normal signals of a male lead? He is not giving out normal signals of a second lead, either .. so herein lies some viewers' frustration. Like "who the f&ck is Choi Taek?" Kdrama tropes sometime rely on function more than deep characterization. Hence, there is real anxiety when shippers can't figure out what exactly is Taek's *function* in the 1988 narrative. 

Seriously, I couldn't care less who DS's husband will be. But one thing for sure: such amazing character as Taek's and also all characters in AM 1988 realm should be celebrated.

Now that you mention about baduk post, I am looking forward to read your thoughts on it. :) 

Thanks again!!!

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to latest news (http://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=241&aid=0002511623), it's finally announced that cast of 'Answer 1994' is confirmed to be making cameo appearances on the show! Filming is not done yet, and there's no confirmation if all of the main A1994 cast will be appearing.. I'm keeping fingers crossed that we can get all cast on board like the previous A1997 cameo..

Can't wait for Samcheonpo to meet Junghwan's dad.. LOL.. 

19 minutes ago, ic3chubb3 said:

According to latest news (http://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=241&aid=0002511623), it's finally announced that cast of 'Answer 1994' is confirmed to be making cameo appearances on the show! Filming is not done yet, and there's no confirmation if all of the main A1994 cast will be appearing.. I'm keeping fingers crossed that we can get all cast on board like the previous A1997 cameo..

This is the bestest news ever :D I really hope that Oppa-ya Jungwoo cameos. Please drama gods make it happen. Hmm...then perhaps Sunwoo or Junghwan follows Micheal into the medical field (his being a seat mate is not there for no reason). Even better, this means we really will get a time skip :D I want to see everyone. It would be a hoot if Samcheonpo meets our Sunshine King and they both are amazed by how similar they look to Chow Yun-Fat (I forget his korean name). Would it be CGI possible to do the "Captain Sun so happy to see you" bit? 

*calms self down incase nothing comes of it all* 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002511623&gid=999339&cid=1010891

It says the actor(s?) in R94 will have special cameo at R88, let's make some guess...I think it will be Hojuni...he's so beloved by tvN...and it is confirmed by one actor's company that it true. But the schedule is not fixed now...

I did hope the only seoul-salaam Chilbong will join the team, but since so many fans got hurt in 1994, guess ShinPD wont let him out to wake up so many broken hearts...XD

Let's make some good guess~ who will come, except 3000-po?

Dec.22
Sunwoo & Bora filmed at an old bakery Tae Guk Dang. Actually all cakes, bread in drama have been sponsored by Tae Guk Dang so far.
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=343701&page=6&exception_mode=recommend

Jung Bong & Mi Ok filming in front of Mi Ok's house.
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=reply1988&no=343227&page=8&exception_mode=recommend

tumblr_nzsx0sMHyT1uavo0oo1_540.jpg
Dec.23 Now filming in Seoul Municipal University, in a hall. Dong Ryong is taking the audition for the national signing contest. Some more actors are there to cheer him up. In the photo, the date is October.7. Tuesday. But from another account, it was April in another placard. Maybe they're filming two scenes at the same time. (Don't know what year. Oct.7.1989 isn't Tuesday.)

Bora has filmed at Seong Gong Hoi Univ for 2 days. It's Bora's school in drama.

tumblr_nzsxo0OQkf1uavo0oo1_540.png

I just watched Hyeri's V app. She said she has filmed for 3 days in a row, very tired. Fans asked where she's heading now and she said it's a secret. In the drama, she is challenging a new thing, and she's going there to prepare(?) it. That's the last schedule today, after that, she can have dinner and go home and take a rest. Fans are guessing, she's learning something for Deoksun's future job, or to the hair shop to change her appearance, or OST recording???

Hyeri had a fan signing event today, and she said she is trying to join the vacation with R1988 actors and staffs, adjusting her schedule. R1988 actors have a kakao talk chatting room, the chatting continues all day long, all are very active and cheerful.
She mentioned two difficult scenes in recent episodes, one was the cake eating scene. The cake was too big to byte, but she thought she couldn't eat it twice, so she and Jungbong did their best not to laugh and eat it well. The other scene is cursing lesson to Taek. It was so difficult for her to curse. She did many NGs. She appreciated viewers to think that scene interesting.

New article assures again that the time jump to year 1994 will be at this week's episodes.
http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20151223162214166

On 12/23/2015 at 2:53 AM, tituyphing said:

Both on left and right, are they really Donghwi and Bogum? because they looks like Suho and Heechan/Jisoo for me. 

yes....the left is suho (he is so pale comparing to PBG) and the right is kim hee chan and RJY is the one who use white and the one with just the hair is jisoo. I just found it this morning, this is when 4 of them filming glory day.

On 12/23/2015 at 2:30 AM, ic3chubb3 said:

wah....finally the news out...hope chilbong will makes a cameo too (ah i miss him) and ofc jungwoo must makes appearance right?hahahahaha. yeah cant wait samcheonpo meet Kim sajang...upppsss,cant they really meet?huhuhu

@saturn. thank you for sharing the infooo....

so many news and information comes out today...ah cant wait friday to comes....

Don't quote pictures, gifs, videos

6 minutes ago, leekyuphii said:

yes....the left is suho (he is so pale comparing to PBG) and the right is kim hee chan and RJY is the one who use white and the one with just the hair is jisoo. I just found it this morning, this is when 4 of them filming glory day.

wah....finally the news out...hope chilbong will makes a cameo too (ah i miss him) and ofc jungwoo must makes appearance right?hahahahaha. yeah cant wait samcheonpo meet Kim sajang...upppsss,cant they really meet?huhuhu

@saturn. thank you for sharing the infooo....

so many news and information comes out today...ah cant wait friday to comes....

Ooooooo Does this mean that SW and JH are gonna get into Yonsei??!?!??! Otherwise....how are they going to meet?

Haha too good that fam made video of Taek & JH. & holding up almost there after tonight one more day than I'll wake up to watch 15 RAW. The weeks are slow when your literally just waiting! This time I won't expect too much on the triangle that way I won't be as disappointed if there is no movement to it.

19 minutes ago, mojobobo said:

Ooooooo Does this mean that SW and JH are gonna get into Yonsei??!?!??! Otherwise....how are they going to meet?

i thought the same things too...will JH or SW really gonna get into Yonsei (ah both smarty-pants, i wanna them at least get into seoul university like BR did, tough yonsei also good college too) i am curious how are they going to meet?

10 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

Oh my god! I wake up to so many great news. Thanks everyone for posting it all here!

I cannot wait for the time jump to be honest! I am dying of curiosity here! :) I am happy it is happening this week. Ouh la la!

It's a blessing and a curse. I can already see the writers ending the episode on some anticipated cliff hanger. Deok Sun: I choo, choo, choose you *camera turns about to show who....fade to white screen shows something that let's us know we in 1994*...Boom end of episode. Please comeback in 2 weeks to see where everyone ended up. LOL. I know they are going to give us all something good but then probably end it where we are left at the edge of our seats dying for a new episode. Evil geniuses.

23 minutes ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

It's a blessing and a curse. I can already see the writers ending the episode on some anticipated cliff hanger. Deok Sun: I choo, choo, choose you *camera turns about to show who....fade to white screen shows something that let's us know we in 1994*...Boom end of episode. Please comeback in 2 weeks to see where everyone ended up. LOL. I know they are going to give us all something good but then probably end it where we are left at the edge of our seats dying for a new episode. Evil geniuses.

Hohoho...isn't this too much like Mirae's choice? That drama just about killed me. 

1 hour ago, saturn. said:

Dec.23 Now filming in Seoul Municipal University, in a hall. Dong Ryong is taking the audition for the national signing contest. Some more actors are there to cheer him up. In the photo, the date is October.7. Tuesday. But from another account, it was April in another placard. Maybe they're filming two scenes at the same time. (Don't know what year. Oct.7.1989 isn't Tuesday.)

Bora has filmed at Seong Gong Hoi Univ for 2 days. It's Bora's school in drama.

I just watched Hyeri's V app. She said she has filmed for 3 days in a row, very tired. Fans asked where she's heading now and she said it's a secret. In the drama, she is challenging a new thing, and she's going there to prepare(?) it. That's the last schedule today, after that, she can have dinner and go home and take a rest. Fans are guessing, she's learning something for Deoksun's future job, or to the hair shop to change her appearance, or OST recording???

Hyeri had a fan signing event today, and she said she is trying to join the vacation with R1988 actors and staffs, adjusting her schedule. R1988 actors have a kakao talk chatting room, the chatting continues all day long, all are very active and cheerful.
She mentioned two difficult scenes in recent episodes, one was the cake eating scene. The cake was too big to byte, but she thought she couldn't eat it twice, so she and Jungbong did their best not to laugh and eat it well. The other scene is cursing lesson to Taek. It was so difficult for her to curse. She did many NGs. She appreciated viewers to think that scene interesting.

New article assures again that the time jump to year 1994 will be at this week's episodes.
http://m.media.daum.net/m/entertain/newsview/20151223162214166

OOO so I suppose DR really does go into entertainment! Woots!!!! If DS does become an actress they will both be in entertainment haahaha! So excited for the time jump right now! 

PS why has no one seen Taek...

11 hours ago, stervamerzkaya0 said:

IMHO, 2015 scenes are mainly designed to tease viewers about characters' future and for the past 4 or so episodes there has been nothing really happening. There is nothing to show.  For once I am glad about the lack of modern scenes, they add nothing to the plot and are a waste of screentime in my opinion. Although watching SunWoo and BoRa in pojangmacha for a hundreds time is not any better at this point.

Having all the characters in the future scenes without telling who is the husband gave them the opportunity to give us more information. This time, by choosing to show the 'husband'  without saying who he is, they kind of blocked things. It was a way to inform us what they became when they grew up,  and it worked. Now anything about the future will have to be explained in the last episodes. They could use adult DS, adult BR and adult NL in a better way imh.

Which is sad, cause I liked the future scenes in R1997 and R1994. And it's too sad that it makes me think at times (too many hospital scenes) that not all the parents may be alive.

Archived