[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

13 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

The people who are most angered by this ending are the myopic ones who didn't pay attention to the script, and instead focused on the shipping. 

The clues have always been there that Taek IS the husband.

For instance, from Episode 11: Three Prophesies.  

I ALREADY told the good ladies here about this a few weeks back that three prophesies actually came true before that episode ended. 

1. “You’ll have another son.” – addressing SW’s mother
2. First son will encounter a great fortune – addressing JH’s mother
3. Second son will do just fine on his own – addressing JH’s mother

http://tv.idol001.com/idoltv-tvn.html

But some shippers obstinately insisted on the literal meaning of the prophesies and forgot that prophecies are always SUBJECTIVE. Their interpretations are never strictly limited to the LITERAL meaning of the uttered words. That's how fortunetellers and horoscopes can "divine" the vaguest and most spurious of predictions, and people still believe them to be true. 

It's not the scriptwriter's fault if people wish to deceive themselves. It's a free world; there are no "thought police" out to imprison people for their delusions.  ;)

@shooastrid Baduk does trump Chinese Checker after all. 

I agree with what you said. I thought the script was really well-written. I've gone around Twitter and forums and people are calling the writer stupid saying the plot doesn't make sense. I thought the plot is flowing very well, especially when the writer managed the time jump smoothly transiting into their feelings after a few years. 

When the script doesn't go in your way, it doesn't mean the script isn't good. The writer must have his/her reasons for doing so. She's the star of reply 1988 and we should accept whatever she thinks is right for the script. Despite the husband hunting, let's not forget how the show has given us so many life lessons regarding family love, friendship and dreams. :)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@packmule3

I'm not disagreeing with you and agree with you on many things, not to mention I enjoy reading your posts, but please don't put too much confidence in the DramaFever English translations. The English subtitles allow the shaman's statement to be open to alternate interpretations but in colloquial Korean her statement simply means "You don't have to worry about him [the second son]" and is a very common expression.

11 minutes ago, JCgirl 001 said:

yeah but this could be an opportunity for him to date alot of other girls before they get together etc... they could also make JH pick up smoking ironically... U just never know with the writer!! I hope the writer sticks with her choice and not change it based on public opinion in the end. If the end game was TK from the beginning , stick with TK to the very end!! I just want this to all flow and make sense in the end and her choose who she loves and she ends up with the guys she has to most chemistry with :) #loweringexpectations #totheveryend #fighting lol

you took the words right out of my mind, still a lot could happen in the last 2 episodes so yup i agree, it ain't over till its over :)

if the next weeks, we get taek as the husband. And saying "its impossible for him to be the husband? The writer going insane and bla bla bla" 

please appreciate their job. 

And if still questioning about taek? Why choi taek? Come to shipper paradise. See the POV from taek fans. Just in case

26 minutes ago, lilac95 said:

LOLs, Shin Won Ho is currently trending #2 on Naver hot search ranking =)) Anyone knows Korean? Can you guys go see what did he say or what happened please? Or people just frustrated so they decided to search for his name =)))))

I checked it on Naver. It seems like members of Infinity Challenge called him because of the popularity of drama. Those articles were trending since yesterday. You could see Yoo Jae Suk and some of IC's members asked to become cameo on the show.

30 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

It's not the scriptwriter's fault if people wish to deceive themselves. It's a free world; there are no "thought police" out to imprison people for their delusions.  ;)

Somehow it reminds me of Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man

" I'm invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me."

13 minutes ago, Nikkaquarian said:

Let's not call this show a mess because it did not go the the way we wish it would be. Romantic love can be seen in much any other drama, 88' is something that focuses on a significant amount of real to life situations and stories that we never see on tv, they went in a route that a lot of people can relate on. Let's not be blinded by pettily shipping couples and think we're deceived because the direction didn't go where we expected it to. The writer and director clearly know what they're doing, it's better to look at the bigger picture than nitpick scenes we like. :blush:  *bows*

Yep.  The only messy thing is the fandoms.  People are already pissed off and downvoting youtube videos on tvn's channel. lol.   The show... honestly I see TK/DS end now.  It makes the most sense to me.  Just becasue JH is loveable doesn't mean he did what he could to get the girl.  He really didn't, and he knows he didn't.   He seemed to let go and I think he'll be fine once he does.  They can do a 180 surely, but either way doesn't ruin the show.  

so lets jot the future clues down: the hubby smokes, the hubby dates a lot of girl, the hubby hates interview, the hubby loves coffee, what else?

CMIW, but dont all these clues point out to taek? of course these can also be applied to JH, but there's only 2 episodes left. yes anything can happen, but to fit all those clues to JH in 2 episodes is really rushing. I'm sure the writer would not want that.

5 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

Didn't watch R94 but was it this frustrating? Hahaha...

I think the pressure is on PBG now. Everyone will be congratulating him or asking for verification that he is the husband.

For me it was very frustrating, but in a very different way from R88. Of course I am annoyed because of JH's and TK's indecisiveness, but overall I am happy with the way each character developed over the course of 18 episodes. This show is so much more than just a romance drama.  In R94 the husband plot was much more prominent and throughout the show's run it felt that the PD and scriptwriter were toying with the audience. In the final stretch of the drama they broke the OTP apart for no good reason, just to keep the husband game alive. So, (all strictly IMHO) instead of giving everyone a proper resolution in the last couple of episodes, they simultaneously made the husband a jerk, turned Go Ara's character into a doormat and made the second guy the loneliest person on Earth with no family or decent friends. I was not a shipper, but the ending still left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Oh, one more thing I just remembered.

Taek went on tons of arranged dates and is even the crush of a famous female celebrity (news of which showed up in the papers).

JH on the other hand claimed to have gone on dates but DR (or was it SW) didn't believe him.

Following the script i am still confident Junghwan is the end game. The 2 episodes this week has some focus on junghwan dreams and hows he changing dreams because of his hyung and not because he is easily changing. Also the fact that junghwan's suffering and emotional was emphasized a lot of times when it comes to Tk/DS scene compare to how Tk react to JH/DS. I dont get why people calling Taek the underdog because it seems his moment with DS has been naturally given so far (except the confession when JH was in the way - in thought and not even physically). 

I want to watch everything with accurate sub before comenting anything further. But even with the flow of the script going as it is now, junghwan will get thr girl in the end.

Seeing the eruption over the shippers joy or anger made me happy that I did not get involved in a side. I love both Taek and JH and if the writer manages to show DS choice I will be happy for the couple.

I think that for the next week, the cast and crew have to lay low and prevent any more spoilers coming out. If I am not wrong, they are still filming at the moment? 

Well, i just wondering why TK cant be the husband and why it should be JH, even im not curious in husband-to-be game at all. 

JH showed how his no action towards DS, even DS was being nicer when she though JH liked her. She did try to get JH going along with her out. Boy keeps saying to the girl that "dont let us gessing, talk" so boy should do the same way as well, dont let the girl guess how much he likes her. We dont know, even we know, we will pretend that we dont know. 

Love has a lot of different types, not have to be together. JH should learn from his first love that the next girl he likes, he has to do something, he has to fight for it. Not wait and hope the girl come to him and said: i know you like me, lets date! 

TK was always happy to be around DS, DS is happy around DS. He talks more with her, he notices her advice. He asked her out (even he didnt make it, or sleep during movie), but he did open his mouth. 

JH wait until all they are adults, he said but in front of his friends, and everyone laughed. Even DS knows he tells the truth, should she take it as serious? Or should she laugh too and move on? I would feel weird if i was DS. 

Archived