[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

@packmule3

Thank you, thank you for your very amazing insights into the script and camerawork! I have always enjoyed reading your posts and it adds multiple layers of enjoyment when I rewatch the series. 

I really appreciate the well written characters in this series, everyone feels real and relatable. All imperfect people, with their own individual insecurities, hopes and dreams. This is why R88 has found such popularity right? 

I also have found the 'inconsistencies' of Taek very interesting. For once a male character is not a clear cut goody-goody or a jerk with a heart of gold, or a bad person constantly plotting...  Your comment about the cold had me laughing, because I noticed it too... Sunwoo has mentioned a few times that he likes to cuddle with Taek because he is so warm, like a stove ( according to my subs) ... hahaha  

So now JH hides his feelings from DS, and Taek hides himself - his real self.  Who is going to come up on top after the truth gets out? *super excited for Ep17*

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can never understand people that bashed Junghwan's character for whatever reasons. Or accuse that he did certain things to give himself an advantage over Taek(Did you watch ep11-16 where he is literally crying whenever he thinks of Taek and Deoksun? Or in ep12 where he admit he can't hate Taek.). 

I see accusations like 'Junghwan is only nice to Deoksun'.

Ep 4 - Junghwan doing the Kim Sajang gag with his dad after realizing his Dad is upset.

Ep 5 - Junghwan making his Mum happy after realizing she's upset

Ep 8 - Junghwan assuring Jungbong his surgery have a high success rate by reading up medical books in advance

I ship Deoksun with Junghwan because I believe there is a reason Deoksun is the only 1 who plays along with Junghwan's Dad. I believe his Dad will dote on her a lot if she gets married into his family. 

I read the lates ost translation. I sense separation from the lyrics

7 hours ago, kaqueski said:

even we both want to remain in it.
but in front of the flowing time, 
there's nothing that last forever

as time goes by,
we might forget the heartrending longing 
that will follow  us.

i wonder which couple will be used for this song or it may represent the neighborhood or the gang.
Sad but true..there's nothing that last forever.

But please pd-nim make the reunion meaningful and joyful.

36 minutes ago, uglypearl said:

JunHyeok and SungWoon of Boyband HOTSHOT Parodying JH-DS Blind Date Test Scene

omg !! thanks @uglypearl !! that was funny , the guy who parody as DS is literally prettier than me T.T wae !! Reply 1988 is truly popular now !! No one can deny it. The male lead who acts as JH does resemble Jun Yeol at certain angle when he says ' 하지마 ' simply sounds like JY! 

Guest wizengamot

if we got our ep 17-18 yesterday and today we will be happy but we will realize that next week would be the last time we will see the Reply 1988 series, so conflicting feels :(

Looks like I am not the only one with R88 withdrawals!! hahahahaha I have been rewatching the eps studiously.. everytime I noticed something new... its very fun..

Ending of Ep 7 <<< Why did Taek still go to the Baduk Center on a holiday when nobody else went? He could have stayed home to hang out with his friends? But he went there to play by himself... unless it was just scripted this way so the manager of the Center can have a chance to hand him his VHS present from his fan club president. 

Young DS Narrates [ credit to dramacool for the subs ] 

" Time continues on.

Thats why time eventually creates farewells

and it always leaves people with regrets.

If you love someone, you have to tell them now

before your fleeting days become filled with regret.

In some ways, the biggest present that time leaves us with

is the memories we have of loving others.

That's why you have to shove embarrassment aside 

and confess your love to the one you love

before it is too late. "

Isn't that very applicable to the current love lines? Who is too embarassed to confess? :phew:

Guest wizengamot

i am doing some back reading in the thread and a particular comment caught my attention. someone said that when DS said (ep 16) that "nothing is working out these days for her" they said that she was disappointed because TK cancelled the movie and DS was sad because she likes TK but i think that's not it or not solely the reason. maybe DS was sad that the movie date didn't happen (let's just say that) but when TK cancelled it, she doesn't look 'that' sad, i was replaying that scene thinking if DS would betray any emotion and show sadness like the sadness that was shown in her face when JH said he won't go to the Lee Moon Sae concert, but i don't see any of that.

I think what DS meant that time was about her studies, we've seen in previous episodes how she was worrying about her studies and finally on ep 16 we see her cry to her mom, cry on the stairs, desperately try to learn by asking help from her seatmate, and being depressed that even Ja Hyun knows what she wants in life (be a hairdresser) while she (DS) doesn't know what she wants to be.

And when the boys ask him what she's doing in the study room she got all sensitive as to why? can't she study here too? instead of complaining that her movie date with TK was cancelled. Because if that was really what she's thinking or reason for being sad then that would be the thing she would blurt out. Plus, for someone who doesn't want to go to the movie date in the first place, why would she be so much disappointed?

Reply%201988%2016_196496_zpsojdzwjyn.jpg

5 hours ago, Howlongwillthisfandomlast said:

I can never understand people that bashed Junghwan's character for whatever reasons. Or accuse that he did certain things to give himself an advantage over Taek(Did you watch ep11-16 where he is literally crying whenever he thinks of Taek and Deoksun? Or in ep12 where he admit he can't hate Taek.). 

I see accusations like 'Junghwan is only nice to Deoksun'.

Ep 4 - Junghwan doing the Kim Sajang gag with his dad after realizing his Dad is upset.

Ep 5 - Junghwan making his Mum happy after realizing she's upset

Ep 8 - Junghwan assuring Jungbong his surgery have a high success rate by reading up medical books in advance

I ship Deoksun with Junghwan because I believe there is a reason Deoksun is the only 1 who plays along with Junghwan's Dad. I believe his Dad will dote on her a lot if she gets married into his family. 

Also don't forget Ep 2. Junghwan hit the scary sunbae to defend sunwoo

Don't forget to watch Reply 1988 special, <Reply Behind> tonight @ 8PM KST <3

It'll be a 40 minute special filled with bts, actors' audition, first meetings, etc~~<2

[TRANS] @reply_tvN:

Behind the scene you can't watch anywhere else. <#Reply1988 Behind> tonight on 8pm.
(eyes on ryu)

w5U3hJC.jpg

Just throwing it out there......

I'm not really sure if the "happy ending" in my mind would materialised.  But, I know we're gonna have a satisfying end to Reply 1988, so I'm really trying to just enjoy the ride, whichever way it goes.  Though, I'm with some who are rooting for Deok-sun to end up with Taek.  Why?  Really hard to pin-point. Sometimes I think I'm just blinded by the classic "prettiness"  that is Park Bo-gum.  Coz if I give out all my reasons based on Taek and Deok-sun's actions on the drama, it won't really fly.  Why? Based on viewing R 1988 to 1994, if your rooting for one team, every action from that ship, you'd put malice. And we may be right, or majorly wrong.  So whichever way it goes, hope it won't be that painful for the viewers.  ;)

Hi 88’ers… there’s lots of good analysis going on here on how the show’s final arc may move towards. Thanks for the sharing and insights :)

I really like the way AM88 has developed from beginning till now. No deep plots, besides the husband mystery. But loads of heartwarming moments between parent-child, husband-wife, among the adults, and among the children. 

The 1 ½ hour format works well for me. The writer left out no one from the five families, and the character development was not rushed. 

The parents – Kim Sajang, JH Omma, DS Appa, DS Omma, Taekie Appa, SW Omma were well fleshed out. Although not so much emphasis was placed on DR Appa and Omma, but I feel that what has been shown so far is sufficiently satisfying as a viewer.

The siblings – JB hyung, Bora noona and Noeul dongsaeng has had their screen times and stories told. And awww… even little Jin Joo found a father figure in Taekie Appa.

The Sangmundong five:
SW – love, family, friends and future aspirations covered
DR – family, friends and future aspirations covered
JH – family covered, future aspiration to be a fighter pilot or maybe this will change as it seems that he has been changing his dreams since middle school, friends (SW & DR) covered, what’s left to be sorted out are the feelings between himself, TK and DS. 
DS – we know that she’s a caring and reliable friend, but we are yet to see what her true self wants in both the love front and her future aspirations (maybe she’s yet to see her true self too), perhaps during the final arc we will see more character development for DS? 
TK –There are multi layers in TK’s character development, as perhaps his mother passing away while he was young and going into the adult world of competition and win-or-lose at a young age sets him apart from his peers.
1. In the beginning we see TK incapable of doing any mundane day-to-day tasks and his friends mothering him
2. We know that all he does is play baduk and he already earns big dough at 18 years old
3. He’s under immense pressure from losing competitions and takes an unhealthy dose of medicines
4. Besides baduk, he does seem envious of the other kids in missing out school life 
5. Besides baduk, he wants to spend time to watch movies with DS alone and with the other kids too
6. His relationship with Appa is somewhat distant (unlike what his relationship with Omma might be), but with TK and TK Appa opening up to each other, that distance was bridged
7. TK has a different side when he plays baduk (or any other games) – fierce, mature, intelligent, focused and competitive – perhaps his quiet and expressionless nature is also his key to success here
8. Although he hates to ask or give favours, he will not hesitate when it comes to his neighbourhood family 
9. He totally knows what it takes to strive in the adult world when he passed that envelope of money to his baduk instructor to treat the reporters
10. He knows he likes DS and will make a proactive move, but he won’t hurt JH as well… these kids are like brothers who grew up together
11. He’s capable of catching the other kids feelings and emotions… being the quiet one, I won’t be surprised he’s the most observant among the noisy kids, and he may in fact know the kids better than they know him
In terms of the husband hunt, I think it can swing either way – JH with the obvious scenes, and TK with a combination of hidden scenes and what has built up so far… the writer will also manage to swing it towards TK’s. Either way is fine really. I’m more hoping that the final arc will flesh out DS’s character and 88’ers can enjoy the series till the end.

Happy New Year Chingus! :)

20 hours ago, purple31 said:

What if.....

Later we know that Taek has disease in his head and can't be cured, then junghwan has heart disease or run into an accident and to save junghwan they must replaced his heart and find a donors.. 

And then taek give his heart to junghwan because his disease can't be cured and junghwan survive from his disease with taek's heart in his body now and married with deok sun.....

If that happen the ending will be so dramatic i think hehe

That is sooooooooooo makjang :D:D:D:D 

Archived