[MANGA/ANIME] Akatsuki No Yona ; Yona of the Dawn

13infamyss

hehehe. I have finally jumped on the bandwagon!

akatsuki-no-yona-episode-5-29.jpg~origin

Plot:

The story is about Princess Yona and her adventures in getting her kingdom back.

Yona thinks she has got all what she wants in life. She has a bodyguard, Hak, who also is her childhood friend, her love interest and also cousin, Soo-won and her only living parent, his father the King who is a great pacifist and highly discourages the use of weapons. She's been living a perfect life, that is until she witnesses Soo-won murdering her own father and becomes the next king. Exiled from her own kingdom with Hak, she goes on a journey to gather the four dragons reincarnated to support her in getting her revenge and kingdom back.

Episodes: 24 

What I think of the series:

Really good. I didn't get the hype before around this series. But it's really good. I'm glad I gave it a try. I knew Soo-won would murder her father based from the plot before I read first chapter, but I still couldn't contain my shock when I saw that scene with my own eyes. There goes her idealistic and perfect image of Soo-won crumbling down before her. So heartbreaking. I'm glad Hak was there the entire time supporting her in her decisions. I also love that he is soooo transparent with his feelings for Yona! So cute.

My favourite Yona-Hak scene till chap 72 (latest chapter I read) was the scene where Hak called her by name after she had allowed the dragons to call her by name. And she's like "No, call me Princess. They can call me by my name, but Hak, only you cannot call me that. Only you cannot forget that I am my father's daughter. Don't ever forget that I am the King's daughter." T_______T And there goes my tears rolling down nonstop. T_____T So much emotions poured out there and the thing is, it's not even about the princess-bodyguard relationship they have. Yona and Hak's go way beyond that, but the fact that Hak is so special to her, knows her inside out that she doesn't want that "relationship" to change. Everything around her is changing fast, but her relationship with Hak should be the only thing in her life that is static.

This series also reminds me of a whole lot of series. It's like Fushigi Yugi/Dawn of the Arcana/Fruits Basket all in one anime. LOL. There's the constant reincarnation of the dragons until they meet the master (Furuba), Yona goes on a quest in searching for her dragons and whether or not they will come to her (FY) and Red hair! (Arcana).  In any case, it's very addicting and can't wait to read more of it. And I don't understand why this isn't licensed yet? T_T

wallpaper_1920x1080_yona.jpg~original

Akatsuki-no-yona-2748049.jpg~original

fdfdf.jpg~original

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to make a thread for it when I couldn't find any but I never got around to it. My only favorite character is Soo-won now. I'm waiting for Yona to be a stronger character. As for the other dragon characters, I don't mind them but I'm only at the episode where Soo-won is playing that game with the general. I might like the green-haired dragon though since he's more funnier. I only glimpse some of the manga chapters.

^hmmm. I wonder if the anime is much advanced in the chapters that are currently translated. Cuz where I am at, chap 72, there wasn't much development in Soo-won's character to justify his murder of the king. The mangaka still hasn't shown enough to redeem himself from that. I mean he stated his reason in becoming a king; he said the kingdom needs a much firmer king who doesn't shy away from weapons, and for that reason, he should ascend to the throne.. but other than that, there wasn't anything else. When Yona and Soo-won first met again after he thought she died, he told her it's not time yet to get her revenge cuz he still has something he must do, but that was it.

OMG! I love this show too!

I started off watching the anime and then I couldn't help it and read the manga from the beginning.

I don't like Soo-won, I like Hak! 

I left off in the part where they met the yellow dragon who is very hard to read. I wonder what his deal is! Spoiler: It is weird how he hasn't reacted to Yona the way the other three dragons did. He has the "body" of the dragon right? I wonder if he has some special power related to that.

I think after that there were some chapters about Soo-won and what is happening in the palace.

I oddly also like the prince from the Fire/Red country. He's obsessed with Yona and was cruel to her but I think his character is developing and he will actually have some redemption. That's more than I can say for Soo-won! I still ship Yona X Hak all the way though.

But the thing I am looking forward to in the series the most is Yona's development into an awesome and strong woman! I can't wait to see more of that. I think this story is exciting and beautiful. 

And the anime does it justice too imo! When I get the chance I will definitely go back to watch more.

Oh! And I really like the other non-dragon besides Hak, the medic guy. He's funny too :)

And if I could keep one dragon all for myself I would keep the one with the "eyes of the dragon"! He's too adorable!

What I should have said was that Soo-won is a character that I see potential dark character development instead of him being my favorite character. None of the characters I've seen so far are my favorite to be honest. Yona is the typical princess wants to be tough character which is fine but to my chagrin, she cries more than she does anything (according to the anime anyway). I like that Yona's one greatest crush betrayed her because it oversteps boundaries in shoujo. The audience wouldn't like a guy whose killed the heroine's father to end up with her so that's one of the things I enjoy about this anime. The other thing I enjoy is that it's one of the few Korean-inspired historical manga I've seen. Many manga/anime usually focus on ancient Europe, ancient China, ancient Japan and if I'm not mistaken, they don't do ancient Korea much or ever.

cutiek028

said:

I started off watching the anime and then I couldn't help it and read the manga from the beginning.

I left off in the part where they met the yellow dragon who is very hard to read. I wonder what his deal is! Spoiler: It is weird how he hasn't reacted to Yona the way the other three dragons did. He has the "body" of the dragon right? I wonder if he has some special power related to that.

I oddly also like the prince from the Fire/Red country. He's obsessed with Yona and was cruel to her but I think his character is developing and he will actually have some redemption. That's more than I can say for Soo-won! I still ship Yona X Hak all the way though.

And if I could keep one dragon all for myself I would keep the one with the "eyes of the dragon"! He's too adorable!
Hopefully you'll catch up soon with the manga. I think you're not that far from the recent chapters released.
And yes, I feel so iffy about the last dragon too. Because he came just like that, and he didn't have this grand moment of recognizing their king, or queen in this case, unlike the other 3. Why do I feel like it has some Amiboshi-Chiriko of FY deja vu here? hmmm. But then again, the 3 dragons felt him, so that's got to count for something? :-/ Anyways, my favourite scene of the dragon's recognition has got to be Jae Ha (the dragon who jumps over space). He was in denial for such a long time, still was when he met Yona, but his attraction to her (as dragon-king, and I guess as a man too who cares for a girl!) was just so strong, there was no way he could repel it. He could always try, but it would be a moot-point. And the thing is, he doesn't regret this attraction either in the end; I meant he doesn't regret he was born as a dragon with one purpose in life - to serve the king.
Awww, yes, I also like that prince from the fire country. After he had repented on his sin, bowed down to the princess, and followed her footsteps, he was just... like wow, I don't even have words. I'm glad he changed and wasn't naturally evil. I can't believe he was never the same person again after what he did to Yona and Hak on the cliff. That seriously showed that it wasn't really him, and he wasn't that kind of a person who drove people to death.
and Shin-Ah is my favourite dragon too!!! He's just so cute especially whenever he removes his mask. His eyes look so cute, I can't even.
Meany-chan said:

What I should have said was that Soo-won is a character that I see potential dark character development instead of him being my favorite character.  Latest chapters of Akatsuki no Yona were up a couple of days ago. And they seem to focus on Soo-won and his kingship. He's been doing a lot of organization cleanup in the kingdom - assigning new people, here and there, and it feels like he is recreating a Kingdom that is up to his taste. I think we`ll get to see more of Soo-won and his objectives of becoming the king from here on. 
It must be a relief to Soo-woon to see Hak still alive and mighty, protecting Yona. I can't ever get over that scene of Hak's face when he saw what Yona saw: Soo-won on his horse before them. He wanted to do something, attack him, grab him by neck or whatever, just do something, but he was left there standing with Yona staring at him too.

• 1 month later...

Quite a lot of updates in the past month, and I've been really busy to check the new chapters out. Anyways Yona having these tingly feelings for Hak is sooooo cute. She says she doesn't like him that way. Uh-uh, I could see that ;P

• 4 weeks later...

Read up to chap 92. Whoa that was intense! Soo-won, Yona, and Hak ran into each other again, but this time the distance between them was at arm's length, and Hak just lost it right there. It was heartbreaking seeing him lose it. His pent up anger was just not because Soo-won broke Yona's heart and family, but also Soo-won and Hak's relationship was that deep that it broke him too. So much, I'd say way broken than Yona's. I was comparing Yona and Hak's reaction seeing Soo-won. And Hak's was just muderous; so much hate he had been keeping inside. He trusted Soo-won for everything; he was fine giving up his love for Yona  because of their status and totally rooted for Soo-won to take care of her instead. He was ready to give up his life for both Yona and Soo-won, but this.. this happened. :( Ahhhh. so much sadness. ;(

Even so, I'm glad Yona and Hak can still be happy without Soo-won. That thing at the end of Chap 92 was just <3. I think they are starting to really move on from that tragic event. :) 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest SakuToku

I'm glad that this thread exists! >.<

To anyone who wasn't aware of chapter 115, it's already out (as a raw).

Hak and Soo Won reunited. Where's my Hak x Yona reunion!? ㅠㅠ

I'm glad that this thread exists! >.<

To anyone who wasn't aware of chapter 115, it's already out (as a raw).

Hidden Content

Thanks for the heads up! I've been really busy these days and haven't had the time to get caught up with my manga dosage. I can't wait till the holidays and read this series. 

Hak and Soo Won reunited? LIKE WHAT?! I think I`m gonna cry seeing that scene.

Guest SakuToku

Thanks for the heads up! I've been really busy these days and haven't had the time to get caught up with my manga dosage. I can't wait till the holidays and read this series. 

Hak and Soo Won reunited? LIKE WHAT?! I think I`m gonna cry seeing that scene.

Welcome back!

Yeah, it's true. Idk if Hak will regain his friendship with Soo Won this time. Soo Won requests Hak to destroy the fortress with him. Normally, Hak will berserk whenever Soo Won is present, but it was unexpected that Hak did follow his request. Shin Ah started noticing Hak's feelings for Yona. (Good job Shin Ah! >.< Hak holding the necklace that Yona gave him kills me! >.<) Next chapter's title was revealed as "Enemies or Allies." Based on that title, chapter 116 will focus on Hak and Soo Won obviously, so probably no Hak x Yona again. Inb4 Hak-Yona-Soo Won reunion

As for Soo Won's bride-to-be, Geun Tae and Mundok are is rooting for Lili lol. I admit that I ship them too (and I like Tae Woo x Lili too). I would love to see Soo Won and Tae Woo as rivals. XD I hated Soo Won at the beginning, but now I'm neutral.

My first impression for this series was their names. I find it funny because it's freaking Korean. XD This is one of the unique shoujo mangas that I've ever read.

^I never noticed that, but now that you brought it up and I've thought about it, their names are somehow Korean names! Like Soo-Won?! :lol:

Thanks for updating me about the recent chapters. Hopefully I could find time to read new chapters soon. 

I didn't like much Soo-Won in the first few arcs of the manga. He hurt Yona who loved only him all her life. He hurt the two people he loved the most to get to where he is, but I guess that's the price he had to pay in exchange for the goal he wanted to attain all this time.I can't wait for that moment where he redeemed himself and reconcile with Yona and Hak. 

Guest SakuToku

Chapter 116

Shin Ah met Tae Woo. Shin Ah calls him "little Hak." Lol Shin Ah. XD

Yoon helps civilians to escape and soldiers came to attack them. Mundok saves them.

Wind Tribe members reunites. (Hak, Mundok, Tae Woo, and Han Dae. Hak called Mundok "grandpa." The feels. ㅠㅠ)

Kija and Shin Ah met Soo Won.

Next chapter will be out on Jan. 4.

In the previous chapters, Yona, Lili and the other civilians of Kouka were abducted to Sei country to force them to build the fortress against the attack from Kouka. Team Hak (Hak, Yoon, Shin Ah, and Kija) and Team Jae Ha (Jae Ha, Zeno, and Ayura) are separated to find Yona and Lili since there are two fortresses. While they were attempting to escape, Lili was able to kill a soldier. Team Hak arrived at one of the fortresses. Yona was not there so Hak assumed that she is on the other fortress. Before Team Jae Ha arrived on the other fortress, Yona and Lili have escaped successfully.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SakuToku

@carmolita Of course SW will never reveal to anyone (except Yona and Hak) about his crime but the reason he killed the king is not because of his revenge for his father's death, but his mission is to restore and to protect Kouka that the previous king didn't achieve. If that's not what you mean, then idk. XD

As a Hak x Yona shipper, it's possible that SW may be developed his feelings for Yona, but who knows? XD

@sakutoku: i think that there's another hidden reason why Suwon wanted to be king. I feel like he's just using the restoring kouka as an excuse. I also think that its kind of fishy that he let Hak and Yona go. We know he read the King Hiryuu's story a lot when he was younger. I feel like the reason why Suwon let Yona escape is so she can find the dragons because only she can do this. Then later on Suwon is going to try to use Yona

Archived