Pharrell's 'Happy' similar to Marvin Gaye track, says Gaye family

sugarplum892

Pharrell's 'Happy' similar to Marvin Gaye track, says Gaye family
Marvin Gaye's family have said that there are similarities between Gaye's 'Ain't That Peculiar' and Pharrell Williams's 'Happy'.

Williams and Robin Thicke were recently ordered to pay $7.3m (£4.8m) to the estate of Marvin Gaye in a copyright infringement case surrounding 'Blurred Lines'.Gaye's daughter Nona has now said that Williams's global hit 'Happy' bears a resemblance to her father's 1965 song 'Ain't That Peculiar'.

"I'm not going to lie. I do think they sound alike," she told CBS News.

However, Gaye's ex-wife Janis claimed the family has no intention to pursue legal action.

"We're not in that space," she said. "We're just in the moment today and we're satisfied."

'Happy' has enjoyed over 10 million sales since its release in 2013.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

This is just pathetic.Isn't it bad enough to have "robbed" artists now for havin' any creativity freedom now if at all!? The entire Gaye family is disgusting. If Marvin Gaye were alive...I don't know if he would like his legacy to be remembered in such a manner. A bunch of shameless opportunists IMO. 

• 2 months later...

Archived