[movie 2005] 3-iron 빈집

Guest lulugege

^

Aish... Inez-Jang! Your wish of Jae Hee is really :w00t::w00t::w00t:

But yeah... as 'pelik' (weird) as it was... this is one movie, surprisingly agreed on by many even the most critical. :P

I want to share something *although I've said never again to post anything from twitch* :sweatingbullets: but this is not about any actors/actresses/dramas/movies... but about Kim Ki Duk, the director of 3-Iron. So, maybe this once. :sweatingbullets:

January 11, 2006

It's 타임 (Time) for Another Kim Ki-Duk

newkim.jpg

After his last work 활 (The Bow), Kim Ki-Duk has been crossing paths with several new projects, some of which might not even come into fruition. One was 총 (Gun), which experienced difficulties because of Korea's strict firearm laws, and now seems postponed. But, as always with Director Kim, news of his latest film 타임 (Time) suddenly leaked out.

Casting has already been announced for Kim's 13th film, which will star Sung Hyun-Ah from 첼로 (Cello) and 애인 (The Intimate), along with promising new star Ha Jung-Woo from the acclaimed indie film 용서받지 못한 자 (The Unforgiven) and the recent TV Drama 프라하의 연인 (Lovers in Prague). Kim decided to mostly avoid the Korean press when promoting his latest film, as he never released a Trailer, didn't screen it for the press, and only released the film in selected theaters. It's very likely he'll repeat the process, focusing on the International market instead.

'Time', which will start shooting in the next few weeks, is about the slowly fading passion between a man and a woman, and their struggle to find a cure for that. Kim announced the film will have a completely different mood compared to 빈집 (3-Iron), and it's already expected it will feature in a major International Film Festival, possibly in the Competition Section. More details about the film in the coming weeks.

[source: Yahoo Korea]

» Posted by X at 01:17 AM

Copied from

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004760.html

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

Aish... Inez-Jang! Your wish of Jae Hee is really :w00t::w00t::w00t:

But yeah... as 'pelik' as it was... this is one movie, surprisingly agreed on by many even the most critical. :P

I want to share something *although I've said never again to post anything from twitch* :sweatingbullets: but this is not about any actors/actresses/dramas/movies... but about Kim Ki Duk, the director of 3-Iron. So, maybe this once. :sweatingbullets:

January 11, 2006

It's 타임 (Time) for Another Kim Ki-Duk

newkim.jpg

After his last work 활 (The Bow), Kim Ki-Duk has been crossing paths with several new projects, some of which might not even come into fruition. One was 총 (Gun), which experienced difficulties because of Korea's strict firearm laws, and now seems postponed. But, as always with Director Kim, news of his latest film 타임 (Time) suddenly leaked out.

Casting has already been announced for Kim's 13th film, which will star Sung Hyun-Ah from 첼로 (Cello) and 애인 (The Intimate), along with promising new star Ha Jung-Woo from the acclaimed indie film 용서받지 못한 자 (The Unforgiven) and the recent TV Drama 프라하의 연인 (Lovers in Prague). Kim decided to mostly avoid the Korean press when promoting his latest film, as he never released a Trailer, didn't screen it for the press, and only released the film in selected theaters. It's very likely he'll repeat the process, focusing on the International market instead.

'Time', which will start shooting in the next few weeks, is about the slowly fading passion between a man and a woman, and their struggle to find a cure for that. Kim announced the film will have a completely different mood compared to 빈집 (3-Iron), and it's already expected it will feature in a major International Film Festival, possibly in the Competition Section. More details about the film in the coming weeks.

[source: Yahoo Korea]

» Posted by X at 01:17 AM

Copied from

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004760.html

Rubie Dik..thanks for sharing the article..(i comprehend what u mean.. :P ..)...

'Time'..hmm..wonder what's the difference ..but sounds interesting already.. :)

Update : Jan 19, 2006 KST 13:31

Belgian Association Names '3-Iron' Best Film

Thursday, January 19, 2006 14:48:22

2006011922_big.jpg

The film "3-Iron" by maverick director Kim Ki-duk has been named the best film of 2005 by Belgium's Film Critics Association.

The movie's overseas distributor Cineclick Asia said Thursday that "3-Iron" is the third South Korean film to win the honor after "Chihwaseon" and "Old Boy."

The U.S. periodicals Reelview and The Seattle Weekly also ranked the film fourth best on their lists of last year's top ten movies.

The movie won four awards at the 2004 Venice International Film Festival and was named best film last year by the Italy-based International Federation of Film Critics, or FIPRESCI.

Exported to some 40 countries, "3-Iron" is about an eccentric young man who sneaks into homes to clean or repair them.

Reported by KBS World Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2006011922

Guest Born: 1985

hi, just want to clarify, is 3 iron eligible or is it already nominated in golden globe? isnt this film released in 2004? tnx...

It was up for nomination..but wasn't actually nominated..

but this is a very competitive category..considering that this movie has to compete against...basically the whole world..China, Japan, France, Italy, South Africa..etc.

Even though it wasn't nominated..it's still an honor just to be mentioned ;)

Read about the winners and nominations here:

http://www.hfpa.org/nominations/index.html

Dutch Media Ranks '3-Iron' 8th Best Film

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 15:45:16

Dutch media have named the South Korean film "3-Iron" by maverick director Kim Ki-duk as one of the top ten screened in the Netherlands last year.

The Dutch daily De Volkskrant and magazine Cinemaga ranked the movie eighth out of 341 films screened in the Netherlands, and 93rd place went to Kim's "The Isle."

"3-Iron" has won a host of awards from Europe, including four from the 2004 Venice Film Festival, and been exported to some 40 countries.

The film is about an eccentric young man who sneaks into homes to clean or repair them, and later helps to rescue a woman from her abusive husband.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2006012428

Dutch Media Ranks '3-Iron' 8th Best Film

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 15:45:16

Dutch media have named the South Korean film "3-Iron" by maverick director Kim Ki-duk as one of the top ten screened in the Netherlands last year.

The Dutch daily De Volkskrant and magazine Cinemaga ranked the movie eighth out of 341 films screened in the Netherlands, and 93rd place went to Kim's "The Isle."

"3-Iron" has won a host of awards from Europe, including four from the 2004 Venice Film Festival, and been exported to some 40 countries.

The film is about an eccentric young man who sneaks into homes to clean or repair them, and later helps to rescue a woman from her abusive husband.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2006012428

wow!!!!!!..winners again..thanks dik!!.. :)

After 2 years (or more?), the movie is still going strong...

Kim Ki-duk latest film "3-Iron" gets rave reviews

January 26, 2006

20060126019L.jpg

The entrancing moving "3-Iron," the eleventh movie by Korean cinema powerhouse director Kim Ki-duk, is receiving rave reviews from film critics around the world.

According to CineClickAsia, the movies' overseas distributor, on January 18, the U.S. periodicals 'Reelview' and 'The Seattle Weekly' ranked "3-Iron" (the original title "Bin Jip" means "vacant houses") number four among in their list of last year's top ten movies.

Moreover, the film was named the "Best Film for 2005" by Belgium's Film Critics Association. "3-Iron" was the third South Korean film to win the honor after "Chihwaseon" (Strokes of fire) and "Old Boy."

"3-Iron" won four awards at the 2004 Venice International Film Festival, and Kim Ki-duk received the Silver Lion, the prize for the best director. The movie was named the best film last year by the Italy-based International Federation of Film Critics, FIPRESCI.

In Spain, "3-Iron" has also earned the Great Prize Fipresci at the 53rd San Sebastian Film Festival in San Sebastian, and the Golden Spike Award, the top prize, in the 49th Valladolid International Film Festival. The film also won 5 prizes its own in the 8th Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival in Estonia.

The English name of the movie, "3-Iron," is a reference to a golf club, the object that has a pivotal role in the story. "3-Iron" is a very quiet movie, in which actions, rather than words, dominate. The protagonists of the film never speak.

20060126019L_02.jpg

The film revolves around the story of a woman locked in a cycle of violence and harassment, and a homeless young man with nothing to lose. Roamer Taeseok (played by Jae Hee) is in the habit of seeking out vacant houses; he resides in the house for days, cleaning the house and repairing broken gadgets during his stays. One day, he visits a gorgeous mansion where Seonhwa (played by Lee Seung-yeon) lives like a ghost between brutal beatings by her husband. One day, Taeseok saves Seonhwa from her husband's violence by wielding a three-iron golf club against him. From then on, they live together like a married couple.

Exported to some 40 countries, "3-Iron" has definitely propelled Kim Ki-duk to the status of a world-class filmmaker. The movie is gaining a great recognition, garnering steadily audiences throughout Europe. The film garnered 130,000 viewers with an intake of 900,000 Euro in France; in Italy 170,000 people saw the film for a total of 950,000 Euro of revenue.

"3-Iron" is extending its screenings to 22 countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, Turkey, Switzerland, and Israel.

(Source: www.dynamic-korea.com)

Credit: KOREA.net

http://www.korea.net/news/news/newsView.as...archDay=&page=1

why is it call 3 iron?

from article posted by rubie: KKD oppa's reason for '3 Iron'~

Kim devised an unexpected method to show violence in the film -- with a golf club and ball.

Tae-seok saves Sun-hwa from her husband by hitting golf balls at him with a three-iron. However, the husband later gets revenge on Tae-seok in exactly the same way, a boomerang effect of violence.

Asked in an interview about the meaning of the film's English title, "3-Iron," Kim said it is the most difficult of a set of nine golf clubs to handle, but is the most powerful once a golfer hits a ball with it. "I wanted to say there are various methods of violence. A white golf ball and silver iron, that's an attractive match," he said.

after seeing this movie a few months ago ( more 2 years after he won the Blue Dragon for best newcomer), I was glad I already loved him. :P

• 1 month later...

I finally watched this. I love the feeling this film gives off and the meaningful messages behind it. Two silent characters yet their actions give off the most powerful messages. Actions do truly speak louder than words in this film. I love the scene when they're both standing on the bathroom scales and it reads zero, a nice symbolic touch to the film.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dashuu

i liked it but i didnt understand why the germans brought this movie to the cinemas when they never aired a korean movie next to oldboy.

when another nation isnt used to korean movies they should air a movie which will gain audience, but with 3-iron it was a big fault even the movie is brilliant. how does kor movies will get popular if they show movies where the caracters dont speak a word?!

i liked it but i didnt understand why the germans brought this movie to the cinemas when they never aired a korean movie next to oldboy.

when another nation isnt used to korean movies they should air a movie which will gain audience, but with 3-iron it was a big fault even the movie is brilliant. how does kor movies will get popular if they show movies where the caracters dont speak a word?!

one reason a movie like this may be good--is because there IS so little dialogue (which can always be subbed in any language needed)--it might translate in an easier way--to some people, at least--you don't have to concentrate on what the characters are saying--but what they are doing.

• 3 months later...
Guest ChaYe

Man, I was like wth?!!! This movie was very boring. I didn't even know what the plot was. But then, I can't seem to take my eyes off 3-iron or turn to stop it and watch another movie.

This is one heck of a weird movie. I felt like I was back in the old days where people were watching silent movies. Yet, there's some kind of aura in it that makes you stay put and finish the film.

Thank God there's a post in here 'coz otherwise, I wouldn't know anything about the awards or the great reviews. Congrats to 'em all!

Anyways, just wanna share some review myself. At times during the movie, I couldn't get past the fact that Jae Hee acts like a girl. It's in his expressions and actions. And I was kinda shocked and glad that somehow, Lee Seung-yeon was able to talk! Man, that was such a relief. That's one of the turning points of the movie.. When she said I Love You. After several minutes of watching the film, I gave up hoping that any one of them would speak, but there she was! And what a meaningful thing to say. It was really, really great. I think that part itself made the movie a success.

BTW, was Jae Hee's girly acting part of his role or is his acting just like that?

Guest heygingersnap

i really really liked this movie.

while i was watching it, i thought it was kind of weird, but after it was done... i just really like movies that make you think. it was brilliant having almost no dialogue -- even if you don't speak/understand korean, it's easy to get the gist of the movie.

like i said, i enjoyed it and i know of a lot of friends who did too. :)

Guest hestah

in response to previous posts about the title being "3-iron," it's not just that the main character uses a 3-iron golf club. the director, KKD has stated that the club is significant because it's also the least used club in golf. it enhances the sense of loneliness and alienation felt by the characters. even though they live in this world (just like the golf club still sits in the bag with the other clubs) they drift about (for the most part) unnoticed, unused. (of course, most of us know that the korean title is "empty house")

Archived