[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

5 minutes ago, Astarzzz said:

oh, and I want to know : what does DY mean when he say he met MJ one mth ago, but dating for one year? And does SJ likes her back then too?! 

I cut off a bit of your post to address this question hehe
It was basically YSJ catching DY off guard. YSJ could feel something was off when DY kept on saying that he was dating YMJ, so YSJ kept probing with questions, and DY obviously couldn't be consistent. He says he's been dating her for a whole year, yet he states that he only met her one month ago. YSJ is basically poking fun at DY in this scene and this is how they become the best of buddies :wub:

I'm going to miss this bromance so much once everything's over tomorrow T_T YSJ X SDY forever <3 <3 <3

Oh and i too bawled like crazy when the rest of the alpha team on the chopper were crying in shock at seeing the explosion where YSJ and SDY were supposed to be... i literally got goosebumps watching them cry out for their captain YSJ and SDY from the chopper... i really felt their agony and pain ;~; and from them on it was just never ending tears til the end :tears:

• Like 16

21 hours ago, gilaswan said:

She had medical expertise too when she performed CPR in episode 14. She's not any less of a doctor in episode 14 than she was in episode 3. 

20 hours ago, smiletall said:

I just wanted to clarify, when I say "robbed," I'm not speaking in reference to her skill or her chance to be "hero" because she has already proven herself to be hero enough. But more along the lines that she was "robbed" of a great opportunity for growth in their relationship. In fact, both KMY and YSJ were "robbed" in that sense.

@gilaswan This discussion has nothing to do with who she is as a doctor. It has, however, everything to do with KMY as a character -- specifically, the imbalance and bias of the writers when it comes to presenting KMY and YSJ to the audience and the difference in the depth of the two characters. What @smiletall, myself, and a few of the other posters who have joined in on this discussion are lamenting is that, despite the fact that KMY is probably the most real and layered female lead that we've seen in Kdramaland in quite a long time, the writers still biased their presentation of her character against YSJ. If you take a real, good look at YSJ, he has, up until this point, shown almost no growth and no more depth than what we had seen from the first 5 episodes, compared to the changes that KMY has undergone due to his influence in her life.

Despite all of the wonderful things about KMY, when it came down to the wire, YSJ was always the hero. He was basically impenetrable: from all of their experiences in Uruk, the earthquake, the hostage situation where he basically got into Argus' compound single-handedly, etc etc, and now, in this situation where he is in a near-death experience for really the first time ever, with a perfect set up to balance the dynamic of their relationship where KMY is now in the position of a rescuer, the writers squandered that opportunity to not just develop KMY's character, but also YSJ's character and the character of their relationship. Had they actually done it properly, we would have gotten a vulnerable side of YSJ, which adds a human quality to him. He would have had to admit to the fact that, no, he is not bulletproof, and yes, his job may get him killed, and yes, the person who may have to fight for his life and save his life or possibly lose the battle is his girlfriend. And it would force him to see this relationship from this vantage point and uphold his half of the bargain. Up until now, KMY has been the only person who has had to shift her viewpoints and test her resolve in choosing this relationship -- he has just been doing what he's been doing all along. This is a major flaw in the portrayal of this relationship -- it shouldn't be one person moulding themselves around the other, but both people moulding themselves around each other. Like @Meowth07 alluded to, It's a reflection of a wider problem of relationship portrayals on-screen, I'm afraid.

Also, this would have shown him that he doesn't always have to be the one to save the day. Had the writers been smart with it, this could have been a wonderful opportunity for him to mastermind the whole NK solider situation with the rest of his team doing the legwork for him. This was also a perfect and perfectly wasted opportunity to develop the depth of the relationship and for both characters to face the reality of the dangers of his work TOGETHER as a UNIT and as equal PARTNERS in the relationship, not just KMY trying to figure out how to accept his job and playing the role of the supportive girlfriend as Captain Yoo Shi Jin saves the day, yet again.

My main qualm is the fact that this was a pre-produced drama, which meant that it was the writers' jobs to get this done right. They wrote his injury into the script, and as a writer, if adding this changes the dynamic of what was pre-planned, it is your job to change the plan to make it work. You can't just stick it in there, put a little bit of tape on it, and leave it at that. What this really reflects is the underlying bias of the writers -- Episode 14 makes it glaringly obvious that DoTS is mostly about YSJ. Which is just a shame when there is so much potential with KMY that they did not explore.

• Like 19

I'm with the not very pleased group right now but am willing to be patient and hope there is some reasonable explanation tomorrow. Being in a coma for 11.5 months will not cut it for me. Nor will secretly searching for a missing Seo Dae Young . A year is a ridiculous amount of time to be missing with no contact.

I am surprised there are some of you who did not notice the PPL. For you I am happy. For me it was very distracting. I recognize the need for it. Without the sponsors we would not have these expensive actors, gorgeous cinematography and beautiful location. so I am not bothered by most PPL. the coffee shop for instance is not problematic. I quite enjoyed their scene with the chocolate hearts. (I presume these are an item available at that particular coffee chain) and I am glad there was not a stunted subway ad yet again. But the almonds and candles were jarring.

Even if the writer does have the story jump the shark in these last two episodes my take-away from this is

• Thank god for excellent ratings. Let us hope this helps push more shows away from live shooting.
  • Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo can act (although I already knew this)
  • Really glad Song Joong Ki got a big hit because I know he loves acting and I want to see him in lots more stuff.
  • Got to watch me some more Jin Goo! (fanning myself here)
  • Need to go to Greece!
  • And of course, SJK looks fabulous dressed up or in worn out fatigues and a scarf. He can grace my screen any time even if it is schlock.
  • Like 10

These netizens , I swear. They can never be happy. Have any of them ever watched a drama that really made any sense? Seriously!  DOTS is the best drama I have watched that ties everything together, doesn't drag conflicts out too long, and it's only 16 episodes! I've seen senseless dramas drag out 50 episodes and still can't make any sense? Besides, what do they expect a Special Forces Soldier to do?  Sell Girl Scout cookies? I'm glad we got to see more of what a soldiers life entails and what it takes to keep peace for a nation.  I'm happy that through DOtS, we got to witness natural disasters, illness, traitors, etc. The writer easily could have dragged out the whole earthquake and Manager Jin/Argus drama for the whole drama but she didn't; instead she wove different conflicts and I really enjoyed that. She also portrayed the importance of how a doctors role is involved in the army. Glad I got a sense of what a doctor without borders is about. Soldiers and doctors, in the end, it's about saving lives. my favorite line in this drama is SJto MY," you do what you have to, and if the need to kill arises, I'll do my job".

• Like 22

From the beginning, I realized that in the drama, to cross over to the happy scene we have to go through a sad and annoying part. As In previous episodes, when KMY and SJ split up then there is an earthquake before her confession, when KMY kidnapping that ended with his normal life the south korea. But I really did not expect a 'bridge' to reach a happy ending is very sad scenes  and tearjerker. I actually cried because of this drama. for one final episode what I hope is filled with seduction, teasing and sweet moment, I had to spend a lot of tissue and even made my eyes swollen right moments before leaving for work. writer-nim immigration should be prepared if she don’t give lovey-dovey moments comparable to all my tears. One full ending episode with no separation, only happy moments of our OTP, little bickering, with a few flashbacks, I think it's pretty. And this drama will be perfect.

I still do not know how their bodies have not been found, even after the season change to summer, rainy and winter (if I'm not mistaken) there is still no information when their bodies were found, right? And just like that SJ appear, with the super duper handsome face in worn make-up and wounded everywhere (only vampire who could look so handsome in a state of 'back to life').

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, SereneSky said:

I cut off a bit of your post to address this question hehe
It was basically YSJ catching DY off guard. YSJ could feel something was off when DY kept on saying that he was dating YMJ, so YSJ kept probing with questions, and DY obviously couldn't be consistent. He says he's been dating her for a whole year, yet he states that he only met her one month ago. YSJ is basically poking fun at DY in this scene and this is how they become the best of buddies :wub:

I'm going to miss this bromance so much once everything's over tomorrow T_T YSJ X SDY forever <3 <3 <3

Oh and i too bawled like crazy when the rest of the alpha team on the chopper were crying in shock at seeing the explosion where YSJ and SDY were supposed to be... i literally got goosebumps watching them cry out for their captain YSJ and SDY from the chopper... i really felt their agony and pain ;~; and from them on it was just never ending tears til the end :tears:

Thanks @SereneSky MJ wants DY to tell SJ that they are dating. Meaning SJ liked her back then, and SJ didn't deny. So back to the petrol station kiss scene where MY already had this hunch that SJ does like MJ. Am I thinking too much?! hahhah.. 

• Like 3

Finally watch ep 15 with sub (fast forward type due to watching during working hours)... Ep 15, is another daebak episode.. it makes us laugh, cheesy sweetness, middle part makes us cry like hell , heartbroken due to Dae Yong and Shi Jin death, and last part where Big Boss voice appear at the walkie talkie.. my heart sudden stop... to me i thought it is just a delusion ... but he appear behind her... give her hugs... i cry again... tears of happiness!!! Yoo Shi Jin is alive!!!! but what about So Dae Yong??? He should be alive too ... and will be meeting up Myeong Joo in URk right???

I really wanna thank the writer for put Ki Beom in the Urk ... Myeong Joo is not alone there, she has Ki Beom to accompany her ... 

• Like 12

Shi Jin never liked MJ.He said himself he only ever thought of her as a little sister. If he liked her, a soldier like him would be competing for her affection, not concede easily. shi jjn said it himself, if it wasn't for him, they would be marry by now. Meaning, if he likes her, they would be marry already. And he's like afraid to he's force to marry her. 

• Like 20

After watching ep 15, I just threw all my rationality out the window!! :blink:  How the H*** did uri Captain survive a year without contacting uri Beauty??!!! If he was captured, how come he still has his phone with him??!! Sheessh!! 난 몰라!!

• Like 6

Aww, MY doesn't believe that SJ loved her.  That part was really sad when she said that.  She's actually finally really angry with him at the end.  I wonder how she'll really react once things calm down.  I mean, obviously she'll forgive him... but I don't it to be all that easy. 

Or maybe she'll just be happy and we get sexy tent scene.  Well, either way.  Captain Yoo will convince her again. 

• Like 16