[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Co-writer of 'Descendants of the Sun' says she will cry when TV series ends

'Descendants of the Sun' co-writer Kim Eun-sook. (Yonhap) 

"Initially I wanted it over as quickly (as possible), but now, I fear I will shed tears Thursday," the scriptwriter said.

Kim said that the many fighting scenes, disaster situations and numerous overseas film shoots were only possible because the drama adopted a pre-shooting arrangement, instead of the live-shoot systems favored in South Korea.

All the episodes of the show were shot and edited before they were shown to viewers.

"It is my hope that Descendants of the Sun will become a model for pre-shot dramas," she said.

Kim then discounted allegations that the storyline tried to instill a sense of patriotism in viewers.

"To me, I just wrote it as a romance melodrama, although I realized afterwards that it may be viewed in another light," the writer conceded.

She, however, pointed out that the level of patriotism shown by the actors is on par with what is written in elementary textbooks.

On how the drama will end, Kim said she was not at liberty to say, jokingly telling listeners that she went to some length not to anger viewers.

The series, which airs on KBS 2 TV premiered on Feb. 24, is expected to end after 16 episodes. The show has become a hit in South Korea as well as China, and is being exported to other Asian countries.

Entertainment insiders said that the TV drama, which tells the story of South Korean peacekeepers and volunteer doctors in a fictional war-torn country called Uruk, is further fueling "Hallyu" in Asia.

Hallyu or Korean wave refers to the popularity of TV shows and music that have secured hordes of fans in Asia, Europe and the Americas.

The drama is a tale of romance between Army Capt. Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) and civilian doctor Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo), while a secondary and very unlikely plot line between Yun Myeong-ju (Kim Ji-won), an Army doctor, whose father is a three-star general and special forces Sgt. Major Seo Dae-young (Jin Goo) has expanded its appeals base.

Kim, meanwhile, thanked all the cast and crew for their dedication and hard work.

She said the drama far exceeded all expectations and she is currently just basking in the best moment of her life.

AEN20160413003800315_02_i.jpg

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2016/04/13/0701000000AEN20160413003800315.html

• Like 23

I have said this for so many times "I still have faith on KES" despite of many tragic episodes in the drama. KES fighting!

#DOTSFever will begin again next week. I'll start to miss this Soompi thread because Idk when I'll come back here for a new drama.:phew:

• Like 20

5 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Nevertheless, the popularity of this show particularly in Asia, does make one wonder if such men do not exist or are lacking in society such that women crave this to be played out in dramaland. It seems to be an age-old story. After all, Sir Lancelot first appeared in the 12th century, and there have been many and varied depictions of his character since - the knight in shining armour - throughout history. That the image of Sir Lancelot remains the embodiment of the perfect male to this day forces us to ask: how do men measure up as women progress towards greater independence and become more empowered?

Ah I actually that is one of the biggest problems of most KDrama because they portrayed men not as they as but as women would want them to be (or how we are taught to want them to be)... Many people have said here that they tried to get their husbands/boyfriends to watch DoTS and that some did not like it a t all: it was too cheesy and definitely intented to charm female viewers... It creates crazy expectations towards men too. Not many people are as brave as SJ, or as chivalrous.

So even though I do agree with you that the balance male/female is definitely better in DoTS, I do believe that the representation is definitely more female, in the sense that it is fuelled on female imaginary. Definitely better than her previous dramas, but still not great... And this question remains in most forms of entertainment, all over the world.

@smiletall Yes, yes! I also totally agree with what you said: the problem is that SJ is always portrayed as the hero. I loved how in Urk, after the earthquake, there was a sort of balance established as KMY was saving lives, SJ was treating her as a colleague. But even then, she had an emotional breakdown... True, this was new to her but it pained me to see that they had to put an emotional twist to it. And yes, as you point out so well, after the gun shot incident, the fact that KMY was the one saving him was kinda occulted by the suddent action scene that portrayed SJ as a super-human... He did thank her for saving him at the end, but it felt so remote from the actual scene that it did not have the same impact IMO.

@gilaswan I also agree with you that KMY has slowly realized that SJ needed somebody at his side. The scene were she regrets not having comforted him was totally about reciprocity, which I really liked! But again, it is related to emotions. The hospital scene was all about professional capacities and I still feel like because he woke up so fast and went into soldier mode, the appreciation of KMY's skills was suspended. Then they talked about it in the intimacy of his room and more as boyfriend/girlfriend. See what I mean?...

I still love the show and it shows how strong our views and expectations are. I cannot wait for today's episode! I am hoping for some KMY quality time! :)

• Like 9

Okay! The article about KSE’s comments on the ending gives me some peace at least.; which means we can expect a promising ending at least a good one where no one days. Right? Hahahaha

Anyways, I was thinking and speculating about the part where Sergeant Choi comes to find Doc Kang. We all predict that he has bad news for her about YSJ. Maybe, what if it’s not about YSJ… Maybe it’s about his wife or something? I mean if anyone needs to tell KMY about YSJ, I would think that it will be SDY who will tell her. Firstly KMY is more familiar with SDY and secondly Sergeant Choi dislikes KMY. Maybe Sergeant Choi need to consult KMY about his wife? Like maybe his wife ran away from home or wants to divorce him something. HAHA idk just some random thoughts. We’ll have to wait for tonight’s ep to find. CAN’T WAIT!!

• Like 13

I liked the life saving plots at Urk, esp scenes where YSJ ask KMY to choose, who to be saved, Manager Go or his employee. This is very hearttouching. Somehow, manager Go played a very good role in this drama.

26 minutes ago, enzek said:

she crack me up:lol: it seems she has good sense of humor haha. jin goo said the ending will be refreshing, manager genie (sorry i don't remember his real name) said it will be lovey dovey and now the writer herself told us not to worry so even there's some sad/suspense scene in the upcoming episodes before ending i will watching it while repeating "happy ending, happy ending" mantra:glasses: 

it won't make sense that this drama will end with sad ending tbh. the tone for this drama from eps 1-14 are mainly romantic and funny with a bit of suspense so how weird that suddenly it end with sad ending:huh: although actually i'm hoping for a wedding military style for my otp but i'm still happy if nobody dies or my otp don't separated in the end.

I afraid that this is not YSJ, but KMY dream. hahaha.

• Like 4

Since we are on the topic of ending, I hope KES will give us definite ending or something specific. I especially want character development for YSJ and some changes in term of his job. This guy is too perfect and love his job so much. If the ending ends with YSJ still doing dangerous jobs, I would not call it ends because anything can happen to him although the drama has ended lol. I dun really know how I can explain it better but yeah I want him to stop going on missions and happily get married to Dr.Kang. 

So that we can see hot scence like this :D 

jd3qIpE.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, bakegyamon said:

Anyone feel that K-will song in this drama was similiar to bruno mars-just the way you are?

Yes, that's right ...specially the instrumental part in the beginning of the song...also I read that another song from the OST is being accused of plagiarism with an Eric Nam song...have not heard this one yet to compare. Anyone here who was able to check?

• Like 6

Kim Min Suk talked about his working mates personalities

Cf6GbfEUsAApngX.jpg

Rising star Kim Min Suk of Descendants of the Sun talked about the drama casts for an interview.

Kim Min Suk has a great bobbly character in the drama and his popularity with the women also rises. Talking about his popularity, he stated, “I don’t know maybe because the drama is very popular but I don’t think I can say that I am really popular with the public.” and “I only appear on the series thanks to the writers, director, and to the lead characters.”

Kim Min Suk also talked about his working relationship with the four main characters.

For Song Joong Ki hyung, “Even he is tired, he always asks the staff if they are okay. He even managed to memorize each name of the crew. He is really a great actor and I want to be like him in the future.”

Meanwhile Song Hye Kyo has a charming personality, she is very kind and she mingles with us always, Jin Goo is very similar to Seo Dae Young’s character. He is very good in taking care of his colleague. He always want to have rehearsals first for us and he buys us food to eat in the set. I am very happy with the seven months with Jin Goo hyung. Last but definitely not the least, Kim Ji Won has a one of a kind personality everything she does is pretty! She has a very kind character wherein it makes you wonder if there’s really a person like her.”

source: kpopfighting

• Like 13

Today episode ending is blockbuster.....

Tomorrow finale is a happy ending ...... 

So it will be very fine if i shared some tears of fear today..... Coz tomorrow i will bid my farewell to DOTS in a very happy way. 

PS : KES eonnie i still mean it when i said this is must be happy ending..... REALLY MEAN IT 

• Like 21