[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Descendants of the Sun is so addicting that guys would rather watch it than play video games at internet cafes

by CoCo Kdrama on Wed, Mar 30, 2016

1f951485-77e8-49b2-b025-a3740bf367ab.jpe
In some countries, the intensity at which people binge-play video games in internet cafes is so great that there have been reports of people going missing for years, people losing fortunes, and people even dying due to their addictions. That's why the following photo you are about to see is so shocking! 

Spoiler

This is the scene at a typical internet cafe—young men completely engrossed in playing video games for hours. 

449ad741-f8ac-46ad-bb7e-f064c58ea17b.jpg

But video games have a new rival for young men's attention, and it has come in the form of the hit Korean drama Descendants of the Sun! This photo of young men watching the addicting drama in an internet cafe in Malaysia instead of playing their usual video games has been making the rounds on the internet because it is such an unusual site! 

ffc94423-5dbb-44e4-8488-f0b9102533d2.png

These gamers better be careful, though! Korean dramas are also known to be so addicting that they come with their own heath risks!  

Are you surprised to see these young gamers so focused on a Korean drama? Now we know which drama to use to introduce the men in our lives to K-dramas!

dramafever.com

• Like 8

2 hours ago, melissala said:

This is such a beautiful comment from the dramabeans recap that I had to share.  This is the stuff we miss by not knowing Korean.. like Argus we all need to promise to learn Korean

I was blown away by Mo-Yeon’s insight that if he keeps protecting her with his lies, lies she can’t argue with because they’re matters of national security, one day they’ll have nothing to talk about because the trust in their relationship will have eroded away. I wanted to weep when Shi-Jin retorted (in banmal no less; he rarely drops the jondae when he talks to her) “talk to me, tell me everything because everything you say matters to me.” I think one key aspect of his attraction to her is that she’s so grounded in reality, this is a woman after all who was worried whether her financial situation would affect her mother while she called out her will over the phone. And I think he craves the normalcy she could bring to his life. I wanted to shout back ‘no she doesn’t!’ when he struggled to ask the big question, “do you want to break up with me?”. But of course, all of her objections and misgivings are valid, and I love how she reached the compromise that allowed her to give their relationship a chance. Most of all, I admire her courage, the kind of courage that asks him, “give me the right to worry about you, let me shoulder your burden with you, don’t let me wallow in doubt whenever you’re not with me, if you’re in danger, I want to know.” His love for her must have blossomed like a hundredfold, because mine did.

cr : CL

My flawless OTP  :bawling:

Did he use banmal? I don't think so. He did add the "yo" behind the word important (jong-yu-hae-YO). Even if he didn't use it after "say it" (ye-Ji-hae). My understanding is that u can skip one "yo" if the 2 sentences are supposedly connected.

i might have mistaken. But so far other than 2 occasions she used "Yah" on him and the time after he rescue her from the car she used banmal on him. As far as I remember, YSJ never used banmal on her, maybe except for "ahh.. I am Oppa.." in the cinema. But that sentence is more like talking to himself rather than to KMY.

• Like 9

If I'm not mistaken, the description of ep 13 it's mentioned that Mo-yeon does throw her resignation letter at the director, but having seen the spoiler with her at the roof of the hospital receiving a patient who is being ferried by helicopter, should we assume her resignation will be rejected?

• Like 8

Spoiler

===========

Kim Ji Won Shares Why She Thinks Females Like Her Character in “Descendants of the Sun”

Kim Ji Won Shares Why She Thinks Females Like Her Character in “Descendants of the Sun”

On March 2, Kim Ji Won was interviewed during a segment of KBS 2TV‘s “Entertainment Weekly.” The MC immediately compliments her on her petite face, to which Kim Ji Won smiles and says, “I think I just grew up this way.”

First Lieutenant Yoon Myung Joo, Kim Ji Won’s character in “Descendants of the Sun,” as well as the actress herself, is currently one of the most popular women on television, especially amongst females. Kim Ji Won explains, “People seem to say Yoon Myung Joo is a ‘girl crush.’ I think they like that she is independent, and protects more than she receives protection.”

Kim Ji Won recalls one of the scenes she remembers the most as when her character was “talking with Seo Dae Young in the hospital. We put in a lot of effort while filming that scene, but they edited it beautifully as well. As for the coolest scene, she explains Song Joong Ki‘s “Then, save him” scene was “really impressive. End of story.”

descendants of the sun

During the interview, she also expresses her thoughts on the “GuWon couple,” and even gives Jin Goo (who plays Seo Dae Young) a call. As the youngest member of the main cast, she constantly thanks her seniors for taking care of her so well during filming.

SOOMPI

====================================================================================

Spoiler

20160402200434_2.jpg

http://www.dispatch.co.kr/494757

• Like 16

Passing through to post this. Ranks really don't bother me, I just look at the insignia. One of the first lessons in officer cadet class was basically memorizing the ranks. To know who to salute. Lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_military_ranks_of_Korea

2nd thing is- for those questioning subs. By now I presume that everyone gets the viki subs- and it's ripped off the 1st 100% sub. Then reloaded onto streaming sites without permission. DF had a holdback and I know their KBS subs suck. The reason why I am posting is that the translation editors come in hours later and if you want final confirmation for subs best to check like 18 hrs post airing or thereabouts on viki.  The streaming sites subs won't change. The viki ones would. Only posting because the TE are those I have worked with for years and know their schedule. 

And for some reason most of the Koreans I know, ok all, speak with an American accent. Feels weird listening to it. I've met plenty of fluent speakers but usually end up speaking Korean if I needed to actually carry a conversation. The exception being the airlines. I remember carrying on a conversation with the Incheon airport catering section office. The gentleman was speaking in fluent American accented English. Then I go to a normal bank and heck, no one spoke English.

And there is a blog somewhere with the meaning of all Korean names. Since the government only approved like 6000 words for Korean names. Hence why you have similar names for so many people. It's the Hanja that switches the meaning.

And back to real life. I just popped by some photos. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Passing through to post this. Ranks really don't bother me, I just look at the insignia. One of the first lessons in officer cadet class was basically memorizing the ranks. To know who to salute. Lol.

And for some reason most of the Koreans I know, ok all, speak with an American accent. Feels weird listening to it. I've met plenty of fluent speakers but usually end up speaking Korean if I needed to actually carry a conversation. The exception being the airlines. I remember carrying on a conversation with the Incheon airport catering section office. The gentleman was speaking in fluent American accented English. Then I go to a normal bank and heck, no one spoke English.

And there is a blog somewhere with the meaning of all Korean names. Since the government only approved like 6000 words for Korean names. Hence why you have similar names for so many people. It's the Hanja that switches the meaning

Hahaha... yeah, memorising insignias! I remember having to do that as well, but except for the officer level ranks, I think I've pretty much forgotten the NCO level ones. And pretty much forgotten all the rules of foot drill as well. :P

I suppose many Koreans who are educated in English studied in America? I don't mean to offend, but I do personally find it strange that the American accent seems to be thought of as the accent to adopt for "fluency". I much prefer the brit accent myself. Benedict Cumberbatch, anyone? ;)

I find this thing about the names interesting. Only 6,000 approved words, as in approved Hanja characters? Why is that? So all parents have to look through a register of characters to form names? I must admit, when I first saw the name "SiJin", I thought it was a girl's name...

• Like 10

Guest ktiminie
7 hours ago, sanaeozora said:

@ktiminie The best bit of that scene is Private Puppy's face, he's like : "Why are my parents so embarassing?" :D

:lol: Hahaha you're right, puppy Gi Bum is the best in that scene! He looks so annoyed and desperate that he deserves a gif set gckg.gif

YjzUUX.gif  bfOpXX.gif

c4cNAw.gif  rhyXwA.gif

Spoiler

zzvoJ9.gif 

SVDNRr.gif

Edit: guys (it has been said thousands of times) but in those moments how I miss the Soompi LOL button, it was so much fun!

CeejGqSWwAAjhWx?format=pjpg&name=large

On star date entertainment weekly, when the news anchor asked him about what he hate the most on his face??

he said what he hate arround his face was "his lips". But to be honest, i want to kiss the lips that he hate the most on his face. :wub: And he looks like having bunny teeth on this picture. Ughh.. Stop using aegyo on your face captain ! Smooch !

(photo credit to owner)

• Like 23

11 hours ago, libra22 said:

[Live] TBA - Kim Junsu(준수) Descendants of the sun OST

Oh, thanks so much for this, I didn't realize I was screaming at the end just like the audience, lol. This song is so sweet, I can't wait for it to be released, I still have Junsu song for Nice Guy in my playlist, I just love his voice :D 

This...I can't get enough of his expression here, I clenched my teeth with him and I really thought he would slay all of them right there after seeing MY was hurt. SJK nailed this scene, I can really feel his anger it seemed like he will explode. 

AGqNuy.gif

cr: @utkim

• Like 19

1 hour ago, juzluvpink said:

Did he use banmal? I don't think so. He did add the "yo" behind the word important (jong-yu-hae-YO). Even if he didn't use it after "say it" (ye-Ji-hae). My understanding is that u can skip one "yo" if the 2 sentences are supposedly connected.

i might have mistaken. But so far other than 2 occasions she used "Yah" on him and the time after he rescue her from the car she used banmal on him. As far as I remember, YSJ never used banmal on her, maybe except for "ahh.. I am Oppa.." in the cinema. But that sentence is more like talking to himself rather than to KMY.

I see! Still I love how he said that.  Well, I do still love the comment though.  Back to learning Korean... :P

Oh and this is crazy

Ratings for the DoTS rerun

http://www.nielsenkorea.co.kr/tv_terrestrial_day.asp?menu=Tit_1&sub_menu=1_1&area=00&begin_date=20160402

9.8% National

11.4% in metropolitan   

:crazy:

• Like 15

17 minutes ago, melissala said:

I see! Still I love how he said that.  Well, I do still love the comment though.  Back to learning Korean... :P

Oh and this is crazy

Ratings for the DoTS rerun

http://www.nielsenkorea.co.kr/tv_terrestrial_day.asp?menu=Tit_1&sub_menu=1_1&area=00&begin_date=20160402

9.8% National

11.4% in metropolitan   

:crazy:

The rerun ratings are so high that they'd be considered a hit drama by itself :o

• Like 16