[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

7 minutes ago, ayronics said:

[Translated Excerpts of Interview with Kim Ji Won]

Regarding: "Song Joong Ki's personality is alike Yoo Sijin, normally likes to joke and is playful, and our relationship is also like Yoo Si Jin and Yoon Myeong Joo, so when acting our roles, we are able to give a comfortable feel. Also in the entire acting team, Song Joong Ki has the most ad lib moments (spontaneous acting), he likes to be spontaneous from time to time and everytime it is so natural, just like Yoo SiJin's playful side needs to be played out with this kind of ad lib acting whilst Yoon Myeong Joo's rigid character, will have no choice but to stick to the script.

Regarding Song Hye Kyo: "Acting with Song Hye Kyo Sunbae is the most tensed because i am her fan therefore I feel more anxious when I am acting with her than with the male co-stars. But she looks after me a lot. Initially I was worried because I was very scared but she kept encouraging me and keeps me motivated.

I like how everyone in the DoTS cast is a fangirl/boy of Song Hye Kyo. :P 

Thanks for the article! 

• Like 22

Hmmm ... I feel this thread has actually been largely welcoming. People have disagreements, but that's common in a forum, right? There are definitely differing points of view here, and if people don't agree, for the most part, they argue intelligently and do not personally attack each other. I feel it's a bit of a sweeping statement [to say] that snark or any negative comments are looked down upon here. Sure, some people will be offended, but there's also nothing wrong in expressing their vexed feelings. I certainly don't remember seeing a comment in which a person told another to buzz off. (Maybe it has happened, but that's why we also have moderators, who will help smooth out misunderstandings and keep us in line.) And when people are pointed out for making a mistake, like quoting images, they are accepting of it. Since this is a thread devoted to DOTS, then naturally, there might be more passionate super fans of the show than the mild (and maybe more objectively critical) ones or casual viewer, but the presence of the majority shouldn't be reason enough to discourage folks from voicing their genuine thoughts about the show.

As for the charm of DOTS and whether it has a plot or not, I think those could be subjective. For me, the plot is a simple one, but it involves a long journey for the main characters. Likewise, to me, the suspense, though probably mild, is there---i.e. Shi Jin and his unit in a stand-off with the sick Arab leaders' security, or Mo Yeon needing Shi Jin to save her, etc. There is also some backstory, but yes, mainly focused on at least three of the four main leads: Shi Jin's past mission and how the second leads came to be. For me, I'm okay if a show had no backstory. It's not necessary in every drama, and it's actually not my favorite aspect in a story. (I'm also usually not a fan of shows that start out with the leads as kids.) DOTS just crossed its halfway series run, so, who knows, there might be more bite plot-wise and suspense-wise in the upcoming episodes, and there might even be more backstories ...

Having said all that, there are legitimate criticisms of the show, some of which @Bambiina have delineated. I also often wonder as to why Korea is the only nation to take on the disaster in Urk. Realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure forces from members of the EU and the US would have been there to help out. 

Personally, I'm not much into high drama or high concept. I tend to like slice-of-life stories. This isn't exactly slice-of-life, but it entertains me. I won't lie: The romance and all the gooey cheese entertain me. I'm also impressed with the cinematography. I went into this knowing that there are parts of the show that are far-fetched and I would have to suspend disbelief because really, I just want to be entertained the good ol' fashion way without having to exercise my brain too much. LOL. 

• Like 20

Another version:

South Korean Actor Song Joong Ki Is Now The Most Popular Hallyu Star In China, Thanks To 'Descendants of the Sun'

734646_10153481886862263_124160985966826

South Korean actor Song Joong Ki is now the most popular hallyu star in China, a report said on Friday. Fresh from his mandatory military service, Song is the male lead in his comeback TV series, "Descendants of the Sun." He has become more famous than fellow actor Lee Min Ho, courtesy of the drama's popularity, reported The Korea Times.

Song is expected to earn about a billion won, or $860k for a year, since he has drawn 10 advertisers. He follows the footsteps of South Korean actors Kim Soo Hyun in "My Love From the Star" and Lee Min Ho in "The Heirs."

According to Nielsen Korea, "Descendants of the Sun" registered a national rating average of 28.8 percent. On Thursday's eighth episode, Dr. Kang Mo Yeon, portrayed by Song Hye Kyo confessed her feelings to army captain Yoo Si Jin, played by Song Jong Ki.

With South Korean actor Song Joong Ki's rising popularity, it has been found that some of the actor's fans are posting pages on social media and made them appear as being personally managed by the actor. Song's talent agency warned his fans on Monday, Yonhap News reported.

For instance, an Instagram user posed as Song Joong Ki and shared a photo of the actor in Greece, saying, "Thanks for support." Agency Blossom Entertainment declared the account as fake. "Song Joong-ki was briefly on Cyworld in the past, but he hasn't used any social networking services (SNS) since then," said an agency official.

South Korean Cyworld is a social networking site that was popular in the 1990s and 2000s. The agency official stated that there is no SNS account run by South Korean actor Song Joong Ki or the agency currently. "We try to report fake accounts because they may confuse people, but the criteria that make an account fake aren't clear-cut. We've asked some users to stop (posing as the actor), but it's hard when they don't cooperate." The official added.

"Descendants of the Sun" airs every Wednesday and Thursday, 10 p.m. In South Korea, as well as in China.

http://en.jknus.com/articles/2646/20160322/south-korean-actor-song-joong-ki.htm

• Like 19

48 minutes ago, IrisFM said:

Can't wait to watch this upcoming scene...it kind off reminded me of his fake landmine joke with KMY. BUT why is KMY carrying the bag of landmine flags instead of YSJ lol...

MOD EDIT: Please do NOT quote images.

cr: ve.ve20 IF

Previous fake landmine scene  was so cute

I cannot with the feels between them, i will go up there and read all the pages about DOTS, wish me luck ^^

• Like 7

I'M READING THIS ARTICLE:

'Descendants of the Sun' Korean Drama Mania: Thai PM Calls It 'Patriotic,' Taiwanese Fans Demand Happy Ending While Chinese Government Warn Citizens

http://en.jknus.com/articles/2611/20160320/descendants-of-the-sun-korean-drama.htm

THIS LAT PART OF THE ARTICLE MAKES ME  SAD I HOPE IS NOT TRUE OR JUST A RUMOR :

Last week, Chinese officials took to Weibo to warn its citizens from legal troubles due to their love of the drama's male lead.

I UNDERSTAND THEIR LOVE SO WELL!I FEEL THE SAME AND I HOPE WE WILL HAVE A VERY HAPPY END!

• Like 9

I'm not surprised that Song Joong Ki ad-libbed some of his lines on DOTS because I noticed in his Werewolf Boy interviews with Park Bo Young that the guy is a quick-thinker. (And Park Bo Young was his equal; she was also quick to go along with his thoughts and add to them or wittily react to them.) As Song Hye Kyo mentioned in her Elle interview, "His passion is no joke." ;)

• Like 24

6 hours ago, gilaswan said:

2. His feigning ability to walk (asking for a stretcher) because he deemed himself "casualty" when clearly he was quite alright.

Actually he didn't pretend being injured but rather he stopped pretending not being injured, although it wasn't because of the pain he did that. That is one of the reasons why I found that scene funny. It would be similar to a person that won't use anesthesia when treating his/her injuries. It doesn't mean that the treatment doesn't hurt but rather the patient can withstand the pain. Another example of that was in earlier episode when he injured his shoulder and didn't treat it until much later. This by the way wouldn’t have healed either and rather gotten worse after what he went through.

• Like 19

Hi hi i'm a newbie in here..this is for the first time i'm joining in this thread..btw i wanna comment about dots..after 8 episode i've watched it wow  dots was so amazing..the cast,cinematography,the story were awesome no wonder dots will be hits in 19 coutry in the world..i wanna thanks to kimeunsook,kim wonsuk n lee engbook for such a beautifull drama like this ♥♥♥ 

Sorry if my english is so bad hehehe

• Like 14

i quoted last part of the article :

Last week, Chinese officials took to Weibo to warn its citizens from legal troubles due to their love of the drama's male lead.

what happen with this?? although im not very sure about this but isnt this a little bit over?? i dont know what chaos happen in china because of this Drama, all i know everyone including me love the drama in a reasonable level.... fangirling....adores the leads...ship the couple.... imagining the scenes...even parody some of the scenes with some cuts others members usually post in this forum.

in here DOTS not as HUGE as it happen in China Korea Thai ... the news portal did writes stories about this but not as big as other countries.... and many of us only goes crazy via online like this. and no news about how many indonesians watch this show as reported in other countries.

regarding to the article above i hope nothing bad happen...and it only a precautions.... it so not funny if someona happen to be lock in jail because someone steal someone else laptop because it is broken due to overuse it nonstop for re watch all episode of DOTS lol....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bambiina said:

So .. what make DOTS appeal to most viewer in Korea (those that like watching TV anyway) … Some will say – nahhhhhhh .. it’s JoongKi star power .. others will say nahhhhhhh… it’s  SHK star power …

Well I think ALL (MOST) OF KDRAMA .. would have MAJOR HUNKs and MAJOR CHICKs with much much more entertaining plot .. so why the extra rating for DOTS?

Well, hello dear. I can't speak for everyone but after seeing how female population around me reacts to the drama and reading the Dots-related discussions in various Korean websites, I believe the biggest pull of the show is the YSJ character and the actor behind it: SJK. Do you remember the line that KMY used during her confession, that her heart fluttered, having been kissed by such a wonderful man? Likewise, Korean girls and ajummas have been saying loudly how the drama and YSJ made their hearts flutter. Sure every drama has its own hunks in it but don't you think YSJ is much more dreamy and handsome? I do! :wub: The drama, coming from KES, often suffers cheesy lines and absurd plots but all is forgiven because of the SJK stare and how it make every women's hearts skip a bit. 

I say this because whenever I see a topic accusing the drama of being unrealistic and lacks logic, the most common answer is: "SJK's face is the logic itself. What more do you need?" :lol:

But I think the drama is very entertaining and just absolutely beautiful. You rarely see this level of production from kdrama. So I'm not complaining and I expect the drama to hit the 30% mark soon, esp after the last week's delightful cliffhanger. 

• Like 20

30 minutes ago, angieknows_11 said:

I'm not surprised that Song Joong Ki ad-libbed some his lines on DOTS because I noticed in his Werewolf Boy interviews with Park Bo Young that the guy is a quick-thinker. (And Park Bo Young was his equal; she was also quick to go along with his thoughts and add to them or wittily react to them.) As Song Hye Kyo mentioned in her Elle interview, "His passion is no joke." ;)

Nice Guy is another sample of his passion. he can pull Kang Ma Roo character very well, KMR is a very unique character. and SJK play the character perfectly. 

Same as Yoo Shi Jin character. I can't imagine another actor acted as YSJ, SJK put his soul and passion as YSJ.

so if another actor play YSJ, it won't be the same YSJ we know to day.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, melissala said:

I like how everyone in the DoTS cast is a fangirl/boy of Song Hye Kyo. :P 

Thanks for the article! 

haha me too. in one bts video even the soldier was like fanboy of song hye kyo at the back (the bts for ep 3 -involving arab leader). if i'm there i'm swoon also haha

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Carmen Limm said:

I was watching the latest 'Gag Concert' and the drama was mentioned so many times haha I laughed like crazy! 

i was watching the latest episode of running man and SJK was mentioned and they also used the OSTs as BGM :)

• Like 6