[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Happy Friday my sunny chingus!!!

So, after watching episode 8 last night I am still floating on Cloud 9! In fact episode 8 was perfection when it comes to character and plot.

1) The DRAMA!!! OMG! Between the various rescues, aftershocks, folks missing, people dying, and our couples still trying to make leeway. This episode was edge of your seat drama from start to finish, and I loved every scintillating minute of it.

2) So many people cried foul when KMY patched up YSJ and did not run into his arms when he confessed to her yet again. I will admit, his confession was....WOW! "No matter what I did, work, drink, etc., I could not stop thinking about you!" *swoons* His honesty is a little scary but oh so sexy. But when he took her to the base to make a phone call and she called Manager Mo's wife to report his dying words. That just gutted me. Goodness, that was heavy. I understood why she wasn't feeling romantic when she was carrying such a heavy load. 

3) Onew's breakdown. To say these doctors got more than they bargained for when they got sent to volunteer in Urk is an understatement. I felt his fragility to that trauma. He's so young and he is about to be a father. So, when he found the survivor and tried to save him, then got hurt during the aftershocks, I understood his fear. Poor guy. I just hope he can rebound emotionally.

4) Dr. Song and Nurse Ha are too cute. It is funny that they have been working together for so long and haven't hooked up. These two brought some much needed amusement to an intense episode. I loved when Dr. Song got jealous when she and Nurse Choi were flirting with Daniel. And then when he ultimately decided to stay because she was staying. Yes, I love these people. Speaking of which, how honorable is it for them to give up their seats on a first class plane to patients who needed more advanced care? Just awesome!

5) Sergeant Seo and Kim Min Suk are just as intense as YSJ and KMY. When he had to run back into the building after the collapse, her worry was real. All she could do is hope and pray he came out safe. There is so much chemistry between them. He should've taken her up on that dance at the end, but it was quite funny when he ran like a bat of hell to get out of there.

6) The CROOK! Okay, we get it, he hid the diamonds and now the bad guys want them. But considering they had a major earthquake and aftershocks, his way of going about it was just silly. When he took it upon himself and got on that crane and started digging and making the situation with the survivor worse, I want to strangle him myself. But what sweet redemption when Sergeant Seo hauled off and punched the crap out of him! That was so sweet!

7) After all of the agony of our OTP, how sweet and funny was it for her phone to play her recorded message from the cliff. OMG! I howled with laughter, because how embarrassing. But, that was just the reprieve YSJ needed to keep pursuing her. Plus, I thought it was interesting when the Wi-Fi service came back and everyone was on their phones. KMY mentioned her mother several times, but not her father. I get the feeling he must've died, which is why she is so afraid of YSJ dying.

All in all, I can't WAIT! Next week is so far off, I need more now! Shout-out to the writers, director and actors. Every episode has been 5-star! They are doing a remarkable job!

• Like 20

@smiletallHmm maybe its's his management preventing media from asking things like how did he feel acting with kyo as partners or something like that. Because i believe Joong ki himself got no problem messing his image and mentioning things like, "park bo young is pretty, isn't she? Well she's mine" (it's the one and only 'dating scandal' he has in his entire career) or maybe it's because him and pby are so close. I there's nothing going on then it's probably out of consideration but i lean more on his management decision. Reason is, at nice guy and werewolf boy cp, he showered pby and mcw with praises, detailed explanation about their charms and how he learned so much from them. It's not in his nature to not praise his co-star. Heck, even at sia he praises bogum and said he learned from him. I kinda feel strange reading the dots pc interview because of that, and before, in elle mags interview he said he feels blessed to be able to act alongside shk.

• Like 4

Hey, can I just mention the young army man Kim Gi Beom... How cute was he trying to tell the american news crew that he was a soldier... acting it out for effect!! He is the perfect lost puppy... Cooking tofu for YSJ, crying over phone for SDY, trying to run to SDY when he got trapped in rubble... He is too cute... too eager to please! More reasons to love the writer! Not to forget that he played the cupid's agent by getting into the ER to start with. 

Details make a masterpiece!

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, staygold said:

Hey, can I just mention the young army man Kim Gi Beom... How cute was he trying to tell the american news crew that he was a soldier... acting it out for effect!! He is the perfect lost puppy... Cooking tofu for YSJ, crying over phone for SDY, trying to run to SDY when he got trapped in rubble... He is too cute... too eager to please! More reasons to love the writer! Not to forget that he played the cupid's agent by getting into the ER to start with. 

YES!!!! I loved how KES wrote this character!

How he was such a mess and then turned around his life.....he is like so many of his age. Lost not knowing what to do. Even in the army he felt useless but realized that even the smallest things can help other people. 

Each character is precious on this show (minus Argus and that manager idiot :crazy:)

• Like 19

8 minutes ago, staygold said:

I love cute puppy too! He's just this lovable ball of fluff. 

But right now I'm worried about Chihoon, it's like nurse Jae Ah said some of them would need some sort of counseling on their return to Seoul. I'm worried if he goes to Seul he'll sink deeper into depression and his guilt is only going to get worse. I don't know how but I hope he doesn't end up going, I want him to  get his self confidence back. I was crying for him in all his scenes, it was heartbreaking seeing him - he who wanted to be the perfect Doctor now probably doesn't consider himself worthy of his profession. Did you see the guilt and pain flash before his eyes when MY complimented him on having found the survivor. Oh Chihoon, this too shall pass!

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, MAROSA_JIN said:

Fans have fallen head over heels into the love story between an Army captain played by Song Joong-ki and a doctor played by Song Hye-kyo in a faraway, natural disaster-hit country.

Yes ...i totally agree !!!The actors are really great...they become their characters...i can't wait next ep!!!

• Like 11

15 hours ago, Ohsh said:

Koala's review of episode 8 is out. It was a glowing one :)

http://koalasplayground.com/

I am likely going to be one of the exceptions but I don't mind MY's retort that this time she will be the one leaving him behind. Of course I feel the pain for SJ but good to turn the tables on him and experience how MY feels every time he suddenly takes off.  What I don't understand jn this ep is why the detachment after he managed to come back safely after being trapped. I would have understood anger for putting himself in danger (although not his fault technically). Anyone can shed light on that?

Hi @Ohsh  Detachment is a defence mechanism for many people, especially if they are more internal/thinker like MY's character (vs. feelers).  People who internalizes their emotions (instead of outwardly expressing their feelings) tend to appear withdrawn and/or cold.  It doesn't mean they feel that way; it's their way of surviving per say, of staying in control without allowing the emotions to break them down.  Feelers NEED to express because they will implode, so part of dealing with emotions is to get/let it out.  It helps them cope, by showing relief, crying, and laughing out loud.  Internal people don't process nor express it the same way.  They need more time to identify and clarify their emotions and often don't trust their feelings over their mind.  Feelers tend to follow their gut instinct more.  This doesn't mean feelers can't think and thinkers can't feel; it's just that when push comes to shove, one is more driven emotionally while the other is mentally.  MY keeps her feelings to herself.  Do you remember the part when she was crying and SJ was following after telling the uncle's family of the last words?  She asked if he knows of a quiet place for her to hide.  He mentioned, that that's what a guy would say.  The stereotype in society is that men are thinkers and women are feelers (kind of like the book "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus). Now, to be honest, depending on the culture and society, it can really influence a person.  I noticed that the Korean culture doesn't really think it's good to lose emotional control in public, regardless if you are a man and a woman.  In North America, while the expectations are the same in the workplace, they are more encouraged of being able to openly express your emotions.  So if you are more internal to begin with, you can appear more calm even though reality is that your emotions could be rolling out of control.  Internal people often tend to be misunderstood I think.  Just follow up to the part where she's sitting beside him tending to his wound.  She expressed to him that she was extremely scared.  That is her true feelings.  If you know a friend who is internal, they can vouch on what I say. :)

*** Oh and in terms of expressing anger, it's the feeling of hopelessness that there's nothing you can do.  It's the mix emotions that can come out as anger.  Probably misdirected in its own right but it stems from love and concern.

• Like 16

Don't worry so much about what will happen at the end. Uri Captain will not let his sweetheart MY get harm as she also won't let Uri Captain die easily. She's a great surgeon while he is a great saviour, though!. These two distinct professions are complementing each other. :D:P

Currently rewatching Dots 1-8  :w00t:

• Like 15

I am watching ep 8 with subtitles... the manager ajusshi dying scene is totally numbing. When he recalled how he and his wife spent most of their lives apart looking at each other's photos... that could easily be our lead characters too... spending time away from each other... I dont think KMY would have thought like that though. She would have been more concerned about making things less painful for him.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, ilovesjk said:

Anybody else miss Yoo Si Jin's badass fist fight scenes? I know I do. :) Also his abs. I wonder if they'll be kind to us. :phew:

I do. I love his fight scenes with DY in Episode 6. He looked so adorably cute even when fighting. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, staygold said:

I am watching ep 8 with subtitles... the manager ajusshi dying scene is totally numbing. When he recalled how he and his wife spent most of their lives apart looking at each other's photos... that could easily be our lead characters too... spending time away from each other... I dont think KMY would have thought like that though. She would have been more concerned about making things less painful for him.

Yes, she has learnt something from the Ahjussi. She used to stare YSJ's Xray chart :P

• Like 7